Time for Japan, Inc. to embrace the "affordable alternative" market niche ?

user760a
1/5/2018 10:30am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2018 10:32am
and this is not a debate over whose bike is faster with race gas in it. who gives a fuck. some kid on a 1985 CR250 will whoop all of your asses. these days, performance is not all that far off the mark on any one bike, aside from maybe RMZ250's and pre 18 CRF250's. This is about real and perceived value in the eyes of the consumer.

I think if suzuki wanted to get back in the game they would stop trying to duplicate every other japanese bike in yellow. They should forge a new corporate identity.If not a completely new identity, how about just building an epic new 300 two stroke in a couple versions and a 350? if they are going to be content as a follow the leader brand, why not follow the actual leader?

The reborn Triumph briefly tried to out-do the japanese with inline 4 sportbikes and cruisers, etc, in the 1990's. They did not compare favorably and did not sell. Then they decided to go their own way, embracing the triple (three cyl bikes, not the triple at wendy's), producing a unique, desirable product that sells. Suzuki had better think about doing something similar, they are swirling around the drain ytrying to out Honda the Honda people.
bh84
Fantasy
1676th
1/5/2018 10:30am
Acidreamer wrote:
Ok you and me both have $10,000 each. Lets see who builds the better bike. I got $3500 to spend on suspension and motor upgrades. You...
Ok you and me both have $10,000 each. Lets see who builds the better bike. I got $3500 to spend on suspension and motor upgrades. You wont have shit after you spend the $10,000 on the bike alone. Hell the suspension wont even be valved for you.

Meanwhile ill have all those things you listed(except estart unless you want to talk about the 2019 kawi). CP hc piston, carillo rod, upgraded cams, porting, ecu remap. Hell ill even be able to afford the gas to get the damn thing started.

I guess KTM wins in the warrenty department but they kindof have to have a good warranty when 1/2 the tech shop threads are about ktm problems.

bh84 wrote:
After seeing this I decided to consult my price list. I work in sales at a dealer that happens to sell both Kawasaki and KTM. KX450F...
After seeing this I decided to consult my price list. I work in sales at a dealer that happens to sell both Kawasaki and KTM.

KX450F $9,699 CAD

KTM 450SX-F $10,999 CAD

You have $1300. get your suspension set up or some minor motor work and you're out of cash. I don't know where you are pulling $3500 from but you're way off bud.
Acidreamer wrote:
Msrp of $9600 for ktm, just googled it, basically $10000. OPs price of $6500 for the kx. i didnt break out the calculator. But i do...
Msrp of $9600 for ktm, just googled it, basically $10000. OPs price of $6500 for the kx. i didnt break out the calculator. But i do know my local dealer is selling kx450s for less than $7000 and the ktms are still around $9500.
Do you know what CAD stands for?

You can't compare non-current prices to new prices and act like thats a fair comparison.
Indymxer
1/5/2018 10:31am
The Ktm Queens are showing some serious butthurt here.
Acidreamer
1/5/2018 10:38am
Indymxer wrote:
I know right? Theyre almost like damn harley riders. Overpay for a name without getting something ACTUALLY worth the extra $$.
M

The Shop

yz133rider
1/5/2018 10:42am
Indymxer wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
I know right? Theyre almost like damn harley riders. Overpay for a name without getting something ACTUALLY worth the extra $$.
M
Lol.
1/5/2018 10:43am
I got my 17 KTM 450XC-F for $7500 out the door. You can get the best deals on bikes ~November on leftovers from my experience.

I've also ridden both the 17 KX450 and 250. The 450 was pretty nice but felt a bit heavy for me and after riding the 450 in the woods, I felt like the 250 just didn't have enough "get up and go". Both great bikes regardless. The thing that has me going with KTM over and over is the ease of maintenance and build quality for the woods. The only thing I had done the first year was set the sag and air pressure. After that, I was good to go.

To me, Japanese brands need to diversify their offerings. I'm seeing quite a few Yamaha's now racing offroad with the 250X and the 250FX. I'd be all over the 250X if they added just a few small items.
Idp57
Fantasy
2620th
1/5/2018 10:53am
I still can't figure out from where Acidreamer is geting his KTMs prices !!!
mnomis484
1/5/2018 10:55am
mnomis484 wrote:
I went from a 17 kx250f to a 17 250 sxf just recently and was disappointed. Not because the ktm was bad, but beause the differences...
I went from a 17 kx250f to a 17 250 sxf just recently and was disappointed. Not because the ktm was bad, but beause the differences were much less than forums, magazines and shootouts made it look like.
Dont get me wrong, the ktm definitely has the better brakes, engine and clutch. Handling and suspension are about the same out of the box.
The Ktm is faster in a straight line, but around a track it simply depends on the rider which bike is faster. All new bikes are good (i never rode a suzuki though), and with the right setup can be equally fast.
agn5009 wrote:
I can't comment on the differences of the MX bikes but I can tell you that the offroad KTM bikes are astonishingly better than the Japanese...
I can't comment on the differences of the MX bikes but I can tell you that the offroad KTM bikes are astonishingly better than the Japanese bikes. I never believe all the hype until I went from a YZ 250 to a KTM 300.
Yeah in the enduro/offroad scene the ktm is definitely the better bike. No doubt about that.
Also, your yz was probably a mx bike converted to offroad, where the 300 exc (xc?) is an enduro bike from the start.
1/5/2018 11:02am
Imagine being so offended that people like a different bike brand than you that you need to resort to falsely claiming a different bike costs 5k more than yours and you're the smartest guy in the room.

The reality is that Kawasaki nor KTM will ever reward you for defending their brand online so you might as well just shut the fuck up about it and let other people enjoy what they like.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
773rd
1/5/2018 11:07am
This sure turned into a pissing match!

All I know is, spending an extra $1500+ for a ktm isn't going to make me any faster than if I bought a left over kx or rmz.I can take the saved money and personalize the kx or rmz with bars, graphics and suspension while still spending less than what I would have on a ktm. All of these bikes are good now. Even if they are finishing last in the shootouts. I don't but into the, "buy x brand, its the best bike out there." Well maybe to that guy it is, but to me, my Yamaha is the best bike for me.

Pick a freakin color and stop bitching.
Acidreamer
1/5/2018 11:13am
Idp57 wrote:
I still can't figure out from where Acidreamer is geting his KTMs prices !!!
I googled KTMs 450 msrp price. First result.
Squirtlege
1/5/2018 11:15am
bball35 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/05/236152/s1200_David_Pingree.jpg[/img]

Geezus that was such a funny article by Ping! One of his best
bball35
1/5/2018 11:17am
Squirtlege wrote:
Geezus that was such a funny article by Ping! One of his best
I think I heard Pingree say on Pulp or one of his "Ask Ping" articles that RacerX got in some legal trouble with that one. I agree that was one of his best. Definitely top 5 all time RacerX article.
Rockinar
1/5/2018 11:18am
Rhino wrote:
Dealer just sold a 450 RMZ 2018 for 6200.

How much do they have in these things?
Maybe the buyer has bad credit and the dealer financed it @ 10%?
1/5/2018 11:21am
Give it a couple years until the KTM / Husky owners all realize that their bike is always broken and the trend shifts back to reliable Japanese design and manufacturing.
Forty
1/5/2018 11:21am
I have many riding buddies that consider the value of the KTM and not the cost when purchasing....I do not have the scratch for a KTM right now however if/when I can put it together I'll do it.

The OP started this as an thought on if the Japanese builder(s) should just build a price specific bike and focus on that target.....we managed to move away from that quickly (sorry) however the yz 250 is a good example of not having to do that IF the product is good and the aftermarket hop up parts are available and the owner can make the mods and repairs themselves....the yz is uchanged for a decade plus and they still get a good price for them and sell everyone they make because it is a good product.
seth505
Fantasy
1284th
1/5/2018 12:30pm
Give it a couple years until the KTM / Husky owners all realize that their bike is always broken and the trend shifts back to reliable...
Give it a couple years until the KTM / Husky owners all realize that their bike is always broken and the trend shifts back to reliable Japanese design and manufacturing.
There are already many people with 100-300 hours on their KTM bikes. There are some crazy ass comments in here...
Jmicmoto13
1/5/2018 12:36pm
Where is Tyler when we need him!? He could solve this right now!
1/5/2018 12:40pm
KTM has done very well at building an esteem that you are getting a much better bike that is of better value then the others. As our spares likes to say they are a markee brand and that it why you pay more. He's had the injection though and doesn't see up close what I see. They are good bikes, don't get me wrong, but they aren't head and shoulders and they won't take you from 10-5 to on the box. Especially if your waiting on parts for warranty. KTM are forging ahead because they are pushing the envelope and that can come at a cost on new model issues where the Japanese tend to be way more conservative in putting out new stuff to the market. Still they have their failures too.
As said earlier, off road it's got to be KTM or Euro for me. MX? Anything but a YZ. Just don't gel with them
LOVEMYCR500
1/5/2018 1:02pm
Ktm and husky has left over four stroke 250 and 450 in the area I live all the time. What they don't have left over is 2 stroke off road bikes and just a few 2 stroke mx bikes. If most of the japs were interested in a mid market bike they would produce a 2 stroke again. For the Vast majority of ordered out there a good handling 2 stroke 250 with good suspension with the jetting dialed in would fit the bill. Fuel injection and electronics along with all the fancy moving parts of a four stroke has driven the cost up. Besides and I love 2 strokes if I'm a manufacturer I want to make my margin on a 10k bike not a 7k bike
Rockinar
1/5/2018 1:20pm
Mitchell Harrison racing a 250F in the 450A Class at Lorettas and destroying all brands even though his bike is missing 200cc of power. If you're fast, you will be fast on any bike, any color and almost any age bike.

They are all really good bikes. Pick a color you like best because you wont be any faster on the other colors. And no matter what color you pick, no matter what components it has, no matter what suspension it has, no matter what go-fast parts it has...... someone on a 20 year old bike is going to come along and spank you.

https://youtu.be/CR-zIi3ADLA

kaptkaos
1/5/2018 1:23pm
Unless you are a privateer racing the circuit, a local pro racing for cash, or a rich kid/rich vet you do not need anything more than a $3000 2011+ 4S of any color from Japan. Yeah, you can ride it stock too.

These bikes are all fantastic, and virtually indestructible. You can buy one used and freshen it up and race/ride it for years.

A better rider will still beat you on any other bike, even an old roached out 97 Kawi or Yami.

I can lose 10 lbs and workout if I need to beat an equally talented rider on a KTM, or I can just practice more.

These bikes are now like boats, Harleys and big motorhomes. Toys marketed to the upper middle class and up.

I think these manufacturers have decided they would rather sell fewer bikes at higher margins than build and ship a ton of bargain bikes and as long as there are people willing to pay the premium, they will keep doing it.

TeamGreen
1/5/2018 1:40pm
Funny thing: I've ridden them ALL. I have A TON of hours on most things "Austro-Svenska". There's some truth and fantasy in this thread.

Truth: EVERY BRAND makes some great bikes

Truth: EVERY BRAND has some short-comings

Fantasy: One Brand is THE ANSWER FOR EVERYBODY

Fantasy: One Brand is "The Best"

You wanna know what I've learned after 40 years in the sport...40 years of being around Chassis and Powertrain Engineers and 40 years of getting to ride/test EVERYTHING from Amex & ATK to Maico...even Zundapp?

Anyone can find a smile and happiness on damn near any kind of bike...any brand...and that's what it's really all about. Isn't it?

I am currently...& -INTENTIONALLY- riding the new RMZ. Why?
Because I could "feel" that the bike had soooooo much more than what I was able to learn about it in 3 days of track riding...
It had such AWESOME torque and "easy power"...
It turned SO LIGHT...yet, it was the heaviest in the test... (I think? Well, it sure wasn't the lightest!)
The motor was virtually "unchanged"! That's a good thing for a rider that wants an affordable & easy to keep track bike.
The forks were pretty good...once you got in there and clicked'em...
The New Look and Ergo's really worked for me...
But, the shock? It was weird. It was different & it even "adjusted" different than what we are familiar with...

So, it got last.
It got last in a test where the ALSO HEAVY Honda got 1st. Huh. That was intriguing.
That gave me the initiative...and a bit of a "W T F" when I looked at the Zook. Why? 'Cause it ain't a whole lot different "under-neath it all"...it just wasn't as well sorted out as the Honda. It was still the "Unloved Zook" & I wasn't having that.

Why am I writing this and posting it here? Because, I saw shades of the same "Us-n-Them" stuff from testers, tech's & people that were around at the time. The same kind of prejudice we see here. Don't go thinking I'm pointing fingers. I'm not. It's simple "humans being". Yup. Humans being...humans. Humans have opinions. There it is.

Sometimes our opinions are jaded, prejudiced, affected by outside circumstance and worst of all "what we think we know".

Are you bored or tired of my blabber, yet? No,worries. There's gonna be plenty more of it in "Bike Bullds"...& I'll be starting with the VERY SAME RMZ that I rated "last" in the shoot out...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
773rd
1/5/2018 1:48pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny thing: I've ridden them ALL. I have A TON of hours on most things "Austro-Svenska". There's some truth and fantasy in this thread. Truth: EVERY...
Funny thing: I've ridden them ALL. I have A TON of hours on most things "Austro-Svenska". There's some truth and fantasy in this thread.

You wanna know what I've learned after 40 years in the sport...40 years of being around Chassis and Powertrain Engineers and 40 years of getting to ride/test EVERYTHING from Amex & ATK to Maico...even Zundapp?

Anyone can find a smile and happiness on damn near any kind of bike...any brand...and that's what it's really all about. Isn't it?

Because I could "feel" that the bike had soooooo much more than what I was able to learn about it in 3 days of track riding...
It turned SO LIGHT...yet, it was the heaviest in the test... (I think? Well, it sure wasn't the lightest!)
The motor was virtually "unchanged"! That's a good thing for a rider that wants an affordable & easy to keep track bike.
But, the shock? It was weird. It was different & it even "adjusted" different than what we are familiar with...

So, it got last.
It got last in a test where the ALSO HEAVY Honda got 1st. Huh. That was intriguing.
That gave me the initiative...and a bit of a "W T F" when I looked at the Zook. Why? 'Cause it ain't a whole lot different "under-neath it all"...it just wasn't as well sorted out as the Honda. It was still the "Unloved Zook" & I wasn't having that.

Why am I writing this and posting it here? Because, I saw shades of the same "Us-n-Them" stuff from testers, tech's & people that were around at the time. The same kind of prejudice we see here. Don't go thinking I'm pointing fingers. I'm not. It's simple "humans being". Yup. Humans being...humans. Humans have opinions. There it is.

Sometimes our opinions are jaded, prejudiced, affected by outside circumstance and worst of all "what we think we know".

Are you bored or tired of my blabber, yet? No,worries. There's gonna be plenty more of it in "Bike Bullds"...& I'll be starting with the VERY SAME RMZ that I rated "last" in the shoot out...
I'll be looking for that bike build! How long until we can expect it?
TeamGreen
1/5/2018 1:53pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny thing: I've ridden them ALL. I have A TON of hours on most things "Austro-Svenska". There's some truth and fantasy in this thread. Truth: EVERY...

So, it got last.

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I'll be looking for that bike build! How long until we can expect it?
It'll start in the next few weeks: beginning with very well "clicked" stock stuff and the discovery that you CAN make it work pretty good...for stock.
1/5/2018 1:56pm
Where are these figures coming from? I think some of you guys need to check your facts. Congrats to the few guy posting that have.
H4L
1/5/2018 2:35pm
All the makes have some good qualities nowadays & it does come down to personal preference. For someone like myself I didn't gel with the KTM's handling since they have a different feel in comparison to the 4 major Japanese brands I've owned. I figured once they upgraded from the WP 4CS suspension I'd consider buying one. Even though they did upgrade with the AER48 I still didn't feel the bike was that much better than the other brands.
I'm in the minority & will probably never own an orange or white KTM after 4 decades of riding. Most have drank the orange koolaid, but I just don't see what's so special about them other than maybe a hydraulic clutch or Brembo brakes.
Forty
1/5/2018 2:48pm
Rockinar wrote:
Mitchell Harrison racing a 250F in the 450A Class at Lorettas and destroying all brands even though his bike is missing 200cc of power. If you're...
Mitchell Harrison racing a 250F in the 450A Class at Lorettas and destroying all brands even though his bike is missing 200cc of power. If you're fast, you will be fast on any bike, any color and almost any age bike.

They are all really good bikes. Pick a color you like best because you wont be any faster on the other colors. And no matter what color you pick, no matter what components it has, no matter what suspension it has, no matter what go-fast parts it has...... someone on a 20 year old bike is going to come along and spank you.

https://youtu.be/CR-zIi3ADLA

Thanks for posting the video. Harrison is going to break out this year on his Husky.....he looked super smooth and fast at Millville in 2017.

731chopper
Fantasy
333rd
1/5/2018 3:36pm
agn5009 wrote:
Put race fuel in a KTM once and see what happens. For the most part the Kawi doesn't match up with the KTM at all.
My last 250f was a 14 Kawi (the old gen) and my dad had a FE ktm 250f (still the current gen). There wasn't that big of a difference in the bikes. I'd say the KTM chassis corners better in tight turns and that was noticeable but I think that can be done with the Kawi with a set of clamps. The current Kawi is supposed to corner better than the previous gen though. The belief that the KTM is a much better bike than the Japanese bikes is bogus, especially when you factor in the prices. They've done a hell of a job at brand building and marketing though so good for them.

Post a reply to: Time for Japan, Inc. to embrace the "affordable alternative" market niche ?

The Latest