The First, and Maybe Only, Alta with Cone Valves!

Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 10:32pm
This is Eddie Hjortmarker in Sweden. I sold him this bike back in November. Crated and shipped all the way to Sweden. It took over 5 Months for him to receive the bike. I don't speak Swedish, but I think its safe to say he's enjoying it!

|
6/27/2021 9:12pm
Watch that idea and tell me that the younger generations aren’t going to embrace ‘E’ and that the sport is going to die.

The sport isn’t going to die, this is gonna be huge!
ocscottie
6/27/2021 9:15pm
I saw on IG the other day of a guy who watercooled the battery on his Alta, was pretty slick.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
6/28/2021 10:00am
Putting Cone Valves and Trax shock on an Alta is more common than you think. I have a friend with this set up and know another guy who has the same on his.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
6/28/2021 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 1:46pm
So bummed no one bought them out and kept this alive..
For real..

The further we get from Alta closing shop, the cooler it is to see one of those bikes ripping around. I just don't get why people hate the idea of having an electric mx option. I only did 2 laps on one, but I really enjoyed it. Would have been really cool to see what Alta could have done had they stayed around.
6/28/2021 2:10pm
ocscottie wrote:
I saw on IG the other day of a guy who watercooled the battery on his Alta, was pretty slick.
Thats Mark911 here on Vital. maxvonauto on IG.
6/28/2021 2:12pm
Definitely not the first Alta with Cone Valves. I'm pretty sure Mark911 has that badge. But still cool, nonetheless! Love seeing my fellow Alta riders shred!
ZOBITO
6/28/2021 2:28pm
I guess I'll never get why and how, in the land of V8's and drag racing, so many people can get excited about the programmed death of internal combustion engines and the rise of those silly kitchen appliances on wheels with their awful screeching...
Sick
6/28/2021 2:45pm
ZOBITO wrote:
I guess I'll never get why and how, in the land of V8's and drag racing, so many people can get excited about the programmed death...
I guess I'll never get why and how, in the land of V8's and drag racing, so many people can get excited about the programmed death of internal combustion engines and the rise of those silly kitchen appliances on wheels with their awful screeching...
Sick
Go ride one and see how quickly your mind changes.
sandman768
6/28/2021 3:01pm
I was so close to pulling the trigger on an Alta, was just waiting for their dealer network to expand..... bummer they did not survive....
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
6/28/2021 3:07pm
Wow, he's ripping on that! ALTA probably would have survived if they just added optional sound switch on the handle bar that played sound wav of a 2 stroke or 4 stroke.. LOL

zehn
6/28/2021 3:10pm
ZOBITO wrote:
Totally irrelevant.
Yes, your opinion is
6/28/2021 3:16pm
ZOBITO wrote:
I guess I'll never get why and how, in the land of V8's and drag racing, so many people can get excited about the programmed death...
Sick
Go ride one and see how quickly your mind changes.
Absolutely! I was an ‘E’ hater until I rode one! The riding experience is MEGA!!
6/28/2021 3:25pm
I absolutely loved the bike! But I mostly ride single track and the range just wasn’t there for me
ZOBITO
6/28/2021 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 3:56pm
I read soooo many posts back in the day about 2 strokes lovers who hated 4 strokes with a passion...
Everybody seemed to think it made sense.

Well, same for me today with these things: don't care how good or how fast they can be, they're just crap to me...
Glad they're gone for now.
mark911
6/29/2021 10:07am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Wow, he's ripping on that! ALTA probably would have survived if they just added optional sound switch on the handle bar that played sound wav of...
Wow, he's ripping on that! ALTA probably would have survived if they just added optional sound switch on the handle bar that played sound wav of a 2 stroke or 4 stroke.. LOL

BH (VITAL theycallmeebryan, IG bwhaskell) has plenty of videos showing what the Alta is capable of. Josh Hill and Darryn Durham are also a couple guys that go pretty fast on the Alta.
Adam43
6/29/2021 11:11am
ZOBITO wrote:
Sick
Put enough rods through cases and you realize that most of us are more fans of the riding than the noise.
ktmusa
6/29/2021 12:27pm
ZOBITO wrote:
Sick
Adam43 wrote:
Put enough rods through cases and you realize that most of us are more fans of the riding than the noise.
Raced MX all my life(35+yrs) and have never put a rod through the cases. Of course I rode 2-strokes 99% of the time.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
6/29/2021 5:36pm
langhammx wrote:
Putting Cone Valves and Trax shock on an Alta is more common than you think. I have a friend with this set up and know another...
Putting Cone Valves and Trax shock on an Alta is more common than you think. I have a friend with this set up and know another guy who has the same on his.
I was tempted to do it recently but got nervous with no support.
6/29/2021 6:47pm
ZOBITO wrote:
I read soooo many posts back in the day about 2 strokes lovers who hated 4 strokes with a passion... Everybody seemed to think it made...
I read soooo many posts back in the day about 2 strokes lovers who hated 4 strokes with a passion...
Everybody seemed to think it made sense.

Well, same for me today with these things: don't care how good or how fast they can be, they're just crap to me...
Glad they're gone for now.
You don’t have to like them, but to hate a company that tried to do something new and innovative and actually did it well is ridiculous. It’s a shame they went out of business the way they did and only hurts the sport. Wish Honda or someone bought them out.
ZOBITO
6/30/2021 5:04am
If they did so well and so many people thought these bikes were that great, they'd probably still be in business.
Wink

Anyway... Obviously, the recurring Alta topics are only visited by the electrical sect zealots.
So keep on thinking their demise hurt the sport, and I'll keep on thinking these bikes are the best way to hurt the sport.
mark911
6/30/2021 7:13am
How bout 52mm cone valves with KYB Internals on one of my Altas!

Electric is enviable, just like the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I can tune my conversions in real time using a cell phone app; HP, torque, acceleration, traction, throttle response, top speed, virtually every performance parameter. You never worry about altitude or plugs (2 stroke) as the bike runs the same every time. They're so easy and simple to ride with a simple map switch your kids/significate other can jump right on and feel completely in control. So many advantages. But they have disadvantages as well, at least with todays technology.

However, what's good for the rider will make it more difficult for race organizations to classify and control. That's probably why the AMA is dragging their heels when it come to electric. In addition, until a few mfgs step in and produce bikes there's no incentive for younger riders to get involved, as there's no sponsorships. So, I wouldn't worry about electric taking root for anything other than vet/open class for several years at least.

Check out all my crazy builds at IG maxvonauto.
BobPA
6/30/2021 9:29am
mark911 wrote:
How bout 52mm cone valves with KYB Internals on one of my Altas! Electric is enviable, just like the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I can...
How bout 52mm cone valves with KYB Internals on one of my Altas!

Electric is enviable, just like the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I can tune my conversions in real time using a cell phone app; HP, torque, acceleration, traction, throttle response, top speed, virtually every performance parameter. You never worry about altitude or plugs (2 stroke) as the bike runs the same every time. They're so easy and simple to ride with a simple map switch your kids/significate other can jump right on and feel completely in control. So many advantages. But they have disadvantages as well, at least with todays technology.

However, what's good for the rider will make it more difficult for race organizations to classify and control. That's probably why the AMA is dragging their heels when it come to electric. In addition, until a few mfgs step in and produce bikes there's no incentive for younger riders to get involved, as there's no sponsorships. So, I wouldn't worry about electric taking root for anything other than vet/open class for several years at least.

Check out all my crazy builds at IG maxvonauto.
Lets see you finish a 3 hour GNCC....
mark911
6/30/2021 10:56am
What part of "they have disadvantages as well" didn't you understand? I wouldn't take a $150k Tesla Plaid edition across country either, but it'll beat any supercar made from 0-200 mph regardless of price. Electric is very nichey right now, it's fantastic in many respects and terrible in others.

However, I think I can say with some confidence that you'll see battery packs that'll charge in about the same time as it takes to pour gas in 5-10 years. Obviously, the supply logistics will be a bit more complicated than just carrying a 5 gallon jug around. That'll take another 5 years or so.
6/30/2021 11:48am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 10:31pm
mark911 wrote:
What part of "they have disadvantages as well" didn't you understand? I wouldn't take a $150k Tesla Plaid edition across country either, but it'll beat any...
What part of "they have disadvantages as well" didn't you understand? I wouldn't take a $150k Tesla Plaid edition across country either, but it'll beat any supercar made from 0-200 mph regardless of price. Electric is very nichey right now, it's fantastic in many respects and terrible in others.

However, I think I can say with some confidence that you'll see battery packs that'll charge in about the same time as it takes to pour gas in 5-10 years. Obviously, the supply logistics will be a bit more complicated than just carrying a 5 gallon jug around. That'll take another 5 years or so.
It’s clear you don’t have much experience with Tesla or Altas. A Tesla can very easily drive across the country with no issues. Yes, you spend more time charging than it takes to fill up a gas tank, but it’s not like you drive 200 miles and have to charge for hours and hours like an Alta.

Edit: I’m an idiot. Sorry, Mark.
mark911
6/30/2021 5:57pm
mark911 wrote:
What part of "they have disadvantages as well" didn't you understand? I wouldn't take a $150k Tesla Plaid edition across country either, but it'll beat any...

It’s clear you don’t have much experience with Tesla or Altas. A Tesla can very easily drive across the country with no issues. Yes, you spend...
It’s clear you don’t have much experience with Tesla or Altas. A Tesla can very easily drive across the country with no issues. Yes, you spend more time charging than it takes to fill up a gas tank, but it’s not like you drive 200 miles and have to charge for hours and hours like an Alta.

Edit: I’m an idiot. Sorry, Mark.
Yep, I don't know nothing about them Altas.

Post a reply to: The First, and Maybe Only, Alta with Cone Valves!

The Latest