Swap and Adrian from Ride Engineering on pulp

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
2/23/2021 10:07pm
JT Moto wrote:
Where does Donn's ego come from? Dude ran a business into the ground, bankrupted two magazines, he's a total dick to members of the moto world...
Where does Donn's ego come from? Dude ran a business into the ground, bankrupted two magazines, he's a total dick to members of the moto world, no education, complete dick to his audience, vet intermediate speed at best on a motorcycle, shames slower riders, and shits on people that helped him on his SML venture. What am I missing?
That nearly covers it methinks...not a fan.
Just to add some context, Donn gets the support he does because he has been a beneficial part of the industry. Even though his brother runs another one of the larger suspension companies; he's never hesitated to walk in our door at Race Tech, provide content, and honestly test products.

2/24/2021 7:12am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2021 7:40am
Dude's a hack and gives a bad name for engineers "mechanics and technicians don't have a college degree"

Bro you have a bs in engineering, hop off your high horse

Forget to mention the stress concentrations that your holes in the frame introduced?

Edit: I am a ME to be clear
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/24/2021 7:28am
Dude's a hack and gives a bad name for engineers "mechanics and technicians don't have a college degree" Bro you have a bs in engineering, hop...
Dude's a hack and gives a bad name for engineers "mechanics and technicians don't have a college degree"

Forget to mention the stress concentrations that your holes in the frame introduced?

I'm still waiting for an explanation/data on the "floating axle" mod for Austrian bikes, I won't hold my breath though.
toomanykaws
2/24/2021 7:34am
I deal with « engineers » in the car world daily. When most fall off their horse they need a manual, schematic and conference call to get the F back on.

The Shop

Moto520
2/24/2021 7:41am
Ride Engineering makes good stuff. I've used it and it is high quality and well machined. I deal with engineer types with my job and Adrian seems like the engineer type.....because he's an engineer. I think he believes so strongly in his product that he thought he was doing something for Don that was a huge favor. In his eyes... he improved the bike so much and created such a masterpiece that he couldn't understand the problem.
Johnny Ringo
2/24/2021 7:45am
Dude's a hack and gives a bad name for engineers "mechanics and technicians don't have a college degree" Bro you have a bs in engineering, hop...

Thanks, you’ve told us before. Engineers are as bad as vegans and crossfitters.
2/24/2021 7:50am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2021 7:55am
Every hear of Aristotle's Modes of Persuasion (ethos specifically)?
Johnny Ringo
2/24/2021 7:52am
I am the walrus
Zeke27G
2/24/2021 8:26am
I am the walrus
TeamGreen
2/24/2021 8:45am
GD350 wrote:
I will definitely not Ever buy ride engineering products after hearing that guy talk
JT Moto wrote:
Donn burner account #5?
See, that shit is FUNNY.

I live this place. Great laughs over my morning coffee.

Grinning
rohr397
2/24/2021 9:25am
JT Moto wrote:
Where does Donn's ego come from? Dude ran a business into the ground, bankrupted two magazines, he's a total dick to members of the moto world...
Where does Donn's ego come from? Dude ran a business into the ground, bankrupted two magazines, he's a total dick to members of the moto world, no education, complete dick to his audience, vet intermediate speed at best on a motorcycle, shames slower riders, and shits on people that helped him on his SML venture. What am I missing?
That is a wildly inaccurate take...

Unlike Racer X or any of the Hi-Torque publications being owned by smaller businesses, TransWorld started out under corporate ownership. Those corporations bought and sold titles, splintered under joint ventures, and became absorbed by even bigger companies. Donn was the Editor-in-Chief. He didn't run the business or own the rights to the magazine. If he did, they wouldn't have been locked out of the social media accounts and forced to use the name SML. Anyone involved can and has verified that TWMX was financially successful right up until the end. TEN split up and the MotorTrend side of the business joined up with Discovery, and the owners of the action sports side of TEN began shopping around for a buyer. When AMI acquired the business, they saw motocross as dangerous and risky and didn't want the liability. Instead, they tried to funnel the established audiences from TWMX and the other shuttered titles into the titles they owned that were lacking in 18-35 year old males. That's why any of you subscribed suddenly got Men's Health in your mailbox.

I'm not sure why formal education matters. I've got a communications degree and feel like the coursework was a complete joke. I learned more in the first month at TransWorld from a group of "uneducated" guys than I did in college.

Who cares how fast he is on a bike? The guy gets to ride more than most of us. When I met Donn I couldn't even ride a dirt bike and I was never shamed for that. I barely even caught shit for having a quad background.

I'll concede that he can and has been a dick to people and I think it's perfectly fair to be critical of some of the things he's said and done on social media. At the same time, though, he's also done a lot to help grow the sport and has helped many people in the industry and if he was truly as bad as you say, he wouldn't have the industry support that he does.

I was never all that close with Donn when I worked for him and we've barely spoken to each other since being laid off from TWMX. There are legitimate reasons to be critical and I'm not here to convince anyone to be the biggest fan of all things Donn and SML. But, between this and the whole "Anton 'banned' from Pulp" situation, there's been a ton of misinformation about the people involved and the reality of these situations.

And for the record, I experienced the entire YZ450F debacle firsthand, including some of the conversations between Adrian and Donn. Donn's version of the story was completely accurate, and he didn't even cover how that incident negatively impacted the magazine and Yamaha...
Markopolo400
2/24/2021 9:32am
seth505 wrote:
I'm still waiting for an explanation/data on the "floating axle" mod for Austrian bikes, I won't hold my breath though.
FLEX AND COMFORT BRO. Because obviously bolted joints like to move.

/sarcasm
2/24/2021 10:48pm
I just listened to this tonight, and it was painful and awkward.

Out of the gate, I am an Engineer, by education, and vocation. I worked directly as an Engineer in industry (engineered rotating machinery) for 6 years, before moving into technical sales in the same technical world, which I have now done for 12 years. I still work with Engineer's every day. They are who I sell to at a high level. So I have to understand people, personalities, and specifically the personality traits of Engineers. I would estimate that 65%+ of people who work as Engineers are actually INTP or "Engineer" personality types. So you really can stereotype most Engineers. Once you understand the personality type, Engineer's are the easiest sell there is....

To do this, it is helpful to have the Engineering personality type yourself (INTP - https://irritatedntp.tumblr.com/post/92357629826/intp-the-engineer) and learn to recognize the shortcomings of it through self awareness/maturity. Engineering personality types are "idea" people most of all, and they tend to get caught up in their own technical creativity and the endless search for better solutions. The biggest potential character flaw in INTPs is that they equate their self worth, their identity, get their ego tied up in "having the right answer". This can be an incredibly damaging flaw, especially in organizations with other personality types.

Adrian embodies many of the worst aspects of the Engineering/INTP personality. It is so transparent. He just can not acknowledge being wrong, because his whole identity and self worth is tied up in "being right". His dismissal of others who are "not educated" is nauseating, and representative of him viewing his ideas as superior. A solution is a solution. If an Engineer determined a solution through a rigorous understanding of physical and mathematical principles, then power to him. But if a talented mechanic, through experience, feel, and the simple work of trial and error comes up with the same answer, is it any less valid or valuable because of the path he took? NO! A solution is a solution.

But Engineers (the personality type) can be easy to deal with once you realize that their inability to admit being wrong is simply a fundamental personality trait. They literally can not help it. It is how they are wired. Admitting they are wrong is like the end of the universe to them. This is where, for someone in Don's position, having"people knowledge", can save a lot of grief and conflict once the understand that Adrian is not trying to be a flaming asshole. He just stumbled upon a core personality conflict for that person. Again it is a fundamental personality trait that relates to a need to have the solution and "be right".

The sad thing is, when Engineers are wrong, everyone else involved usually knows it. But INTP personality types have such poor perception of other people that they do not know that everyone knows this. And some just keep on digging the hole deeper and making themselves look more pathetic by refusing to own being wrong. Owning it when you are wrong is a great ability, both life and career enhancing.

BEING RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS THAT IMPORTANT!
PTshox
2/24/2021 11:50pm
Well this is an interesting thread.. I did listen to the PulpMX segment on this subject. I’ve also spent a day with Don. It was many a moon ago… it was just a few people including Don and myself for the full day. I got to see Don first hand with no one else around. No one to play to... . Just how he was when he was young… but the pattern of behavior was there. Big time.
At the time I was working on a Engineering Degree from a well-known California university. I was frustrated in school as it simply wasn’t applicable to the real world… at least not as applicable as I had hoped. Lots of math I’d never use… lot’s of BS frankly.

I also listened to the guy from Ride Engineering state his rational for what he did. K sub c comes to mind. He will understand what I mean.

A few things. The guy from Ride Engineering is making good product and should be supported by the industry if you are looking for solutons he produces. He seems like a good human. Looking for creative areas to produce products targeted at specific areas to increase performance. This is geat to see! Thank you.

Second, engineering is applied physics. You want to get to the root of the science behind a engineering problems; its’ all based on physics. What an engineering degree is great at is dealing with explaining what was the technical reason for xyz happening AFTER it happened. It’s not good at teaching creativity and predicting the new laws of physics. To do that you have to experiment…..Try stuff..then get the physics people together to justify why what was just “invented” worked after it did!. Few engineers create. The smart ones can as they are willing to toss caution to the wind and say “let’s try this and see what happens”.

In short, don’t look for engineers to “innovate”. Most are so hung up on their degree they can’t toss it aside long enough to image the future and try new stuff knowing they can be wrong… new products or services… without a scape goat/ crutch to hang their hat on.

But that's just me. LOL
2/25/2021 5:03am
My take is Adrian is Butt Hurt he doesn't get test bikes from the manufacturers and he made it clear it wasn't Donn's bike so Adrian didn't need to check with him on what was being done to the bike which is NOT cool Donn was responsible for the bike. Drilling a hole in a frame isn't really that big of deal in my mind, I mean we have a company selling engine hangers with holes drilled in them and on certain bikes with leave bolts out or change the torque specs to make it handle better.
fourfourone
2/25/2021 5:05am
My opinion of SML has dropped quite a bit in the last few weeks here on vital. Don is really good a tarnishing his name lately.
Premix
2/25/2021 5:14am
Swap and Anton have always been d bags. People just catching on. Welcome to the party.

kNewc
2/25/2021 7:28am
crowe660 wrote:
Ooooof lol. What a shit show.

Drilling holes in a frame without asking seems like a horrible business decision.

Engineers, ammirite
Moto_Geek wrote:
Thanks for saving me the agony of a 3-4 hour pulp podcast show.. It's obvious to me Steve wants out of this show. Trying to sell...
Thanks for saving me the agony of a 3-4 hour pulp podcast show.. It's obvious to me Steve wants out of this show. Trying to sell it on a podcast sites etc. It's run it's course. I even received an email that I won the prize from one of the show and never got anything after replying with my address. Maybe Steve was just fucking around.. don't know anymore with him.. LOL.. That said, he should be a bit burned out with it. needs to pass the torch to some other newer industry idiots. LOL..
I've had the same experience with prizes and these moto companies. I didn't get half the stuff, and when I didn't they said "...please talk to the vendor". That's not how this works is it? lol. I appreciated everything I got though, but it's still odd.
LungButter
2/25/2021 8:59am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Thanks for saving me the agony of a 3-4 hour pulp podcast show.. It's obvious to me Steve wants out of this show. Trying to sell...
Thanks for saving me the agony of a 3-4 hour pulp podcast show.. It's obvious to me Steve wants out of this show. Trying to sell it on a podcast sites etc. It's run it's course. I even received an email that I won the prize from one of the show and never got anything after replying with my address. Maybe Steve was just fucking around.. don't know anymore with him.. LOL.. That said, he should be a bit burned out with it. needs to pass the torch to some other newer industry idiots. LOL..
I have hard time believing any of this.

It's run its course? Really? Listeners and sponsors both seem to be growing....from the outside looking in of course. Maybe you have some insider knowledge. The Pulp network has done nothing but ADD podcasts the last 3 years, doesn't seem like something that has "run its course" would continue to grow....

Got some proof he's trying to sell it on "podcast sites" ?

Don't about 15k people do the Pulp Fantasy? Seems like a cash cow to me, not something that is about to crash down cause it has "run its course".

Your post seems like classic internet axe grinding.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
2/25/2021 9:35am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 9:43am
Moto_Geek wrote:
LungButter wrote:
I have hard time believing any of this. It's run its course? Really? Listeners and sponsors both seem to be growing....from the outside looking in of...
I have hard time believing any of this.

It's run its course? Really? Listeners and sponsors both seem to be growing....from the outside looking in of course. Maybe you have some insider knowledge. The Pulp network has done nothing but ADD podcasts the last 3 years, doesn't seem like something that has "run its course" would continue to grow....

Got some proof he's trying to sell it on "podcast sites" ?

Don't about 15k people do the Pulp Fantasy? Seems like a cash cow to me, not something that is about to crash down cause it has "run its course".

Your post seems like classic internet axe grinding.
I was a bit vague.. Smile By running it's course, it like when you been going to Burger King for the last 10 years and now there is a Wendy's, In and Out and and Freddy Burgers. there is other mx podcast out there, so was just saying it was the hip show for a while, now there are a lot of others pulling away his viewers including me as there have fresh interviews I enjoy like on Gypsy Tales (more howard stern style interviews). So I tend to get a burger from other places now because their nothing new to expect when I go visit pulpmx that I can't get somewhere else. His inside information has also began to fizzle to just a few riders he's close friends with.

I did quick search for the podcast, couldn't remember recently which businessman (owns a successful off-road accessories company) he recently interviewed that sponsors a mx/sx team. But Steve was trying to sell his podcast to him and some other wild ass ideas that was funny as hell. Kind of jokingly, but then kind a spoke about other deals that he's been offer by podcast networks. So just like any business should look at exit plans to sell your business at the top of there time to get maximum dollars. He's probably even more interested now because of the competition.

Actually he recently discuss the fantasy site. He's actually upset he didn't get a bigger chunk of it. So he's not a very big piece of what you would call the cash cow.

All that said, still good podcast and give him credit for the length of the shows. Didn't want to grind, just indulge in some opinions of things I heard recently on the show. I've gone from a dedicated listener to maybe once a month.
TeamGreen
2/25/2021 9:35am
Premix wrote:
Swap and Anton have always been d bags. People just catching on. Welcome to the party.

NOT for the sake of arguing; but, they’re both good dudes and, yes, just like the rest of us...

They BOTH have good and bad days.

I’ve worked/have been around both guys when they’re working and doing their job. I worked with Adrian back when he was working for Yamaha. I know Swap from back when he was parking motorcycles in tractor tires.
Again, BOTH are good dudes.
Both are passionate about what they do for a living.
And...
Both have a bit of an F’up on this one.
Both have mishandled parts of this “story” & there’s PLENTY of culpability to go around.
But! I, for one, “ain’t gonna pick a side” on this one. Why? Because, when I look in the mirror, I see a guy that’s stepped in shit like this, too. A guy that’s had a hard time “letting go” of something...too.

Besides, it’s all behind us now.

Matthes should have a new segment for shit like this. He can call it The Drum Circle. Grinning
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/25/2021 10:16am
Moto_Geek wrote:
I was a bit vague.. :) By running it's course, it like when you been going to Burger King for the last 10 years and now...
I was a bit vague.. Smile By running it's course, it like when you been going to Burger King for the last 10 years and now there is a Wendy's, In and Out and and Freddy Burgers. there is other mx podcast out there, so was just saying it was the hip show for a while, now there are a lot of others pulling away his viewers including me as there have fresh interviews I enjoy like on Gypsy Tales (more howard stern style interviews). So I tend to get a burger from other places now because their nothing new to expect when I go visit pulpmx that I can't get somewhere else. His inside information has also began to fizzle to just a few riders he's close friends with.

I did quick search for the podcast, couldn't remember recently which businessman (owns a successful off-road accessories company) he recently interviewed that sponsors a mx/sx team. But Steve was trying to sell his podcast to him and some other wild ass ideas that was funny as hell. Kind of jokingly, but then kind a spoke about other deals that he's been offer by podcast networks. So just like any business should look at exit plans to sell your business at the top of there time to get maximum dollars. He's probably even more interested now because of the competition.

Actually he recently discuss the fantasy site. He's actually upset he didn't get a bigger chunk of it. So he's not a very big piece of what you would call the cash cow.

All that said, still good podcast and give him credit for the length of the shows. Didn't want to grind, just indulge in some opinions of things I heard recently on the show. I've gone from a dedicated listener to maybe once a month.
Kind of jokingly? It was all a joke
hamncheeze
2/25/2021 10:31am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 10:33am
Moto_Geek wrote:
I was a bit vague.. :) By running it's course, it like when you been going to Burger King for the last 10 years and now...

That whole segment with Thomas Fichter (former owner of N-Fab) was fictional and mostly a joke, I don't even understand how you could possibly interpret any other way.

As for him only getting information from the riders he's close with, firstly the same could be said of Swap who uses A-Ray and the Star riders for 90% of his content. But look at the larger picture with Matthes, he has the Privateer Island podcast where he has different guy every week on there. Where else can you get detailed information on guys like Moranz, Piazza, Schlosser, etc (just thinking of most recent ones)?? Steve gives the little guys a massive platform and some of those guys go on to be regulars on his Pulp show, like A-Ray (he was Pulp long before SML), Clason, Enticknap, and now Moranz. No one else is doing anything close to covering the entire field of riders like Matthes and Pulp. In addition to his Privateer LCQ challenge where he's actually RAISING MONEY for the guys who are on the bubble. You might not "like" Steve or his takes, but you have to respect everything he does. Actually I guess you don't....you can keep giving Gypsy Tales the clicks, I mean I really want to hear Mike Sleeter talk about Cooper Webb's Yamaha in 2021 FFS.

Anyway, I don't think Matthes is looking to get out any time soon, despite his statements of "this is my last year" (which he's been saying since 2013).
BobPA
2/25/2021 11:05am
Moto_Geek wrote:

hamncheeze wrote:
That whole segment with Thomas Fichter (former owner of N-Fab) was fictional and mostly a joke, I don't even understand how you could possibly interpret any...
That whole segment with Thomas Fichter (former owner of N-Fab) was fictional and mostly a joke, I don't even understand how you could possibly interpret any other way.

As for him only getting information from the riders he's close with, firstly the same could be said of Swap who uses A-Ray and the Star riders for 90% of his content. But look at the larger picture with Matthes, he has the Privateer Island podcast where he has different guy every week on there. Where else can you get detailed information on guys like Moranz, Piazza, Schlosser, etc (just thinking of most recent ones)?? Steve gives the little guys a massive platform and some of those guys go on to be regulars on his Pulp show, like A-Ray (he was Pulp long before SML), Clason, Enticknap, and now Moranz. No one else is doing anything close to covering the entire field of riders like Matthes and Pulp. In addition to his Privateer LCQ challenge where he's actually RAISING MONEY for the guys who are on the bubble. You might not "like" Steve or his takes, but you have to respect everything he does. Actually I guess you don't....you can keep giving Gypsy Tales the clicks, I mean I really want to hear Mike Sleeter talk about Cooper Webb's Yamaha in 2021 FFS.

Anyway, I don't think Matthes is looking to get out any time soon, despite his statements of "this is my last year" (which he's been saying since 2013).
I hear enough from the Moranz on here, why would I need another Moranz take on the sport?
Panic_Rev
2/25/2021 11:10am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 11:11am

"I am a ME to be clear"

Are you telling us which pronoun to use when addressing you?
Moto Nomad
2/25/2021 11:22am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 2:31pm
[Edit- apparently I got this slightly wrong- see post on next page with Wheaties box]

Remember when Maeda tried to out some "squid" at a local track by posting his photo (because he didn't have numbers or his gear wasn't cool or he somehow or other didn't fit the SoCal cool guy image). Doing that to a random moto guy was dickish enough, then it turned out it was Damon Bradshaw and he had to publicly apologize. As if it would have been okay to use his pulpit to publicly shame some random rider.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/25/2021 11:23am

Panic_Rev wrote:
"I am a ME to be clear"

Are you telling us which pronoun to use when addressing you?
LaughingLaughing
LungButter
2/25/2021 11:32am
Moto Nomad wrote:
[Edit- apparently I got this slightly wrong- see post on next page with Wheaties box] Remember when Maeda tried to out some "squid" at a local...
[Edit- apparently I got this slightly wrong- see post on next page with Wheaties box]

Remember when Maeda tried to out some "squid" at a local track by posting his photo (because he didn't have numbers or his gear wasn't cool or he somehow or other didn't fit the SoCal cool guy image). Doing that to a random moto guy was dickish enough, then it turned out it was Damon Bradshaw and he had to publicly apologize. As if it would have been okay to use his pulpit to publicly shame some random rider.
Holy shit, did this really happen?
2/25/2021 11:36am
Moto Nomad wrote:
[Edit- apparently I got this slightly wrong- see post on next page with Wheaties box] Remember when Maeda tried to out some "squid" at a local...

Hahahahaahaha please let this be true. This would be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
2/25/2021 11:42am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 11:46am
Moto Nomad wrote:

You sure that's the story?

It was a picture of Bradshaw on a cereal box with Canard and Short. Donn had no idea who number 45 was and made fun of it. Turns out it ended up being Bradshaw.

Here is the quote he wrote.

Our Take: We absolutely loved the Wheaties box, but the thing that killed it for us was the schmoe on the number 45 bike. We mean, Trey Canard? BAM! Andrew Short? BAM! Schmoe with stick-on numbers and beginner form? Guess two out of three ain’t bad. This one was so close to winning, too.

Post a reply to: Swap and Adrian from Ride Engineering on pulp

The Latest