Suzuki Restructure

EngIceDave
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2021 3:42am
Suzuki Set For Restructure

The following is from Suzuki Motor of America…

Executing a comprehensive plan to build a strong foundation for the future, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. has announced it will restructure its operations in the United States. This new direction will reorganize the Suzuki Motorcycle/ATV and Marine Divisions into two separate companies set to begin operations on April 1, 2021. This new organization is designed to give both new companies the best opportunity to optimize their success in their respective industries.

Suzuki Motor USA, LLC. will be headquartered in Brea, California, Suzuki’s corporate home in the United States since 1981. Suzuki Marine USA, LLC. will be based in Tampa, Florida in the heart of the marine business in North America. Suzuki first entered the United States in 1963 and was originally based in Santa Ana, California before moving to its landmark, Pagoda-inspired building in Santa Fe Springs, California.

Satoshi Uchida will serve as Chairman and Masami Haga will serve as President of the new motorcycle/ATV company. Masahiro Yamamoto will serve as President of the new marine company. “Both the Motorcycle/ATV and Marine Divisions are enjoying solid success in their respective businesses,” said Uchida. “As we proceed in reorganizing into two separate companies, we look forward to the Suzuki brand continuing to thrive in the United States.”

The primary goal of this reorganization is to strengthen each business. Key objectives are to achieve greater efficiencies, speed up decision-making, and position each company for increased sales and growth in the United States.

The location of Suzuki Marine USA, LLC. in Tampa was strategically chosen to expand Suzuki’s business, improve collaboration within the marine industry, and strengthen its relationship with boat builders, dealers, and vendors. The Gulf Coast location also provides convenient access to Suzuki’s new Marine Technical Center opened in Panama City, Florida in June, 2020.
|
LungButter
11/19/2020 10:05am
Interesting.... It also appears they are moving a big chunk of their business operations out of California correct?

Or has the Marine Division always been somewhere else?
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
11/19/2020 10:06am
Less red tape in the corporate world is never a bad thing. Do I think the boat bro’s were questioning SX/MX team expenses? Probably not.... but if they were this should help.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/19/2020 10:11am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 10:13am
MxKing809 wrote:
Less red tape in the corporate world is never a bad thing. Do I think the boat bro’s were questioning SX/MX team expenses? Probably not.... but...
Less red tape in the corporate world is never a bad thing. Do I think the boat bro’s were questioning SX/MX team expenses? Probably not.... but if they were this should help.
Boat bro's felt they were dragging an anchor

This sounds similar to the re-structuring Kawasaki announced recently.
11/19/2020 10:15am
MxKing809 wrote:
Less red tape in the corporate world is never a bad thing. Do I think the boat bro’s were questioning SX/MX team expenses? Probably not.... but...
GrapeApe wrote:
Boat bro's felt they were dragging an anchor

This sounds similar to the re-structuring Kawasaki announced recently.
Word at the time was that the marine division kicked down to cover some of the JGR expense.

The Shop

Talisker
11/19/2020 10:31am
Maybe the motorcycle/atv division will be able to make quick KTM-ish decisions.
Flattrack88
11/19/2020 10:51am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I sure hope this is a good thing!
I sure do too, but the pessimist in me wonders if it's marine's way of saying quit dragging down my books! I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!
11/19/2020 11:02am
If Suzuki doesn't come out with even the slightest refinements (e-start) for the following model year, this is nothing but bad news for RMZ lovers. Quicker decisions could very well mean axing sx/mx interests completely.

We'll know in the next 6-8 months.
Tbteam
11/19/2020 11:07am
Lots of marine talk in there. Not so much motorcycle/atv.
kb228
11/19/2020 11:28am
If Suzuki doesn't come out with even the slightest refinements (e-start) for the following model year, this is nothing but bad news for RMZ lovers. Quicker...
If Suzuki doesn't come out with even the slightest refinements (e-start) for the following model year, this is nothing but bad news for RMZ lovers. Quicker decisions could very well mean axing sx/mx interests completely.

I would be genuinely surprised if they made a new model before 2022
Donkey Kong
11/19/2020 11:30am
MxKing809 wrote:
When boat bros and moto bros collide
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
11/19/2020 11:48am
If whoever was running things was focused on marine it could explain why bikes were left to die on the vine. This is probably at worst no change to the current status of the bikes. At best you get someone in there with a fire to build the brand up and they succeed.
11/19/2020 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 12:21pm
They should sell to KTM. Orange, white, Red and Yellow would be cool.
Sounds like the colours of gay pride!

And i feel Yamamoto, he would better be served leading the Moto side than Marine?
TeamGreen
11/19/2020 12:26pm
If Suzuki doesn't come out with even the slightest refinements (e-start) for the following model year, this is nothing but bad news for RMZ lovers. Quicker...

kb228 wrote:
What's so funny about this is that the RMX-Z engine bolted into the RMZ frame fixes the Electric Start problem (Same cases/basic design).

Lightning78
11/19/2020 12:44pm

kb228 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
What's so funny about this is that the RMX-Z engine bolted into the RMZ frame fixes the Electric Start problem (Same cases/basic design).

How much more weight would you want to add to that RMZ450 platform though? Re-Start on that bike done with RMX cases would surely add 10+ lbs to what is the heaviest bike in the class or close to it.
TeamGreen
11/19/2020 12:55pm
kb228 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:

How much more weight would you want to add to that RMZ450 platform though? Re-Start on that bike done with RMX cases would surely add 10+...
How much more weight would you want to add to that RMZ450 platform though? Re-Start on that bike done with RMX cases would surely add 10+ lbs to what is the heaviest bike in the class or close to it.
Lightweight Battery
Delete Kick-starter & it's internals.
Voila...

They could make a Rt side case with no kick-start area...

That bikes "extra-weight" is a non-issue on the track or trail. Been there, done that.

Besides, they could make a few easy changes to all that cumbersome hardware/brackets/fasteners under the tank-area and save some weight. Put a lighter exhaust system on it...by simply using some of the materials like they do on the GSXR...

Well. anyways, my point is this: It's an EXCELLENT bike for Track and Trail. Get an E-Start on there and make a few slight changes and it's gonna do Suzuki well. Myself, I'd add an IMS tank for those off-road days, a pipe with S/A ability, Skid-plate...and I'd be happy with my Do-All-Dirt-Bike.
nskerb
11/19/2020 12:58pm
Am I the only one that feels deep down that the date of April first seems sketchy...
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/19/2020 12:59pm
This has been coming for a while. Suzuki's North American Marine division has been blowing the doors off their goals for 5 or 6 years now. They are so happy they can hardly count.

This move is more about cutting the (motorcycle) albatross from around the marine division's neck than anything else, I would guess. However, naysayers about the motorcycle division should take note that there is an all-new motorcycle company, too - it's not SMAI anymore, but SMUSA. That alone should indicate that they aren't planning to close motorcycle operations anytime soon.
11/19/2020 1:04pm
Yeah, that RMX engine looks heavy as heck and isn’t designed to be lean and minimalistic😞
Sprew
11/19/2020 1:04pm
What’s left of a the Pagoda
HuskyEd
11/19/2020 1:39pm
Sprew wrote:
What’s left of a the Pagoda[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/19/460281/s1200_DD3C884D_3E4D_46AA_81EE_BD134A71438F.jpg[/img]
What’s left of a the Pagoda
So sad to look at that on every trip to Anaheim. I remember back in the day looking at all the new models on display in the pagoda. Now it‘s just a plywooded up, graffiti mess
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/19/2020 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 1:59pm
So even if the guys at Suzuki Motor USA wanted to wick things up and get back in the game, aren't they still at the mercy of the mothership in Japan as far as a product goes? Is there anyone in Japan actually working on updating the platform for motocross and off-road bikes? They have no MXGP teams, no MX2 teams, no All Japan National teams, no off-road teams worldwide, and they just jettisoned their "factory" MX/SX team in the US. If they're not racing, where is the R&D coming from?
Flatliner
11/19/2020 2:04pm
I’m surprised they’re staying in California at all.
11/19/2020 2:20pm
GrapeApe wrote:
So even if the guys at Suzuki Motor USA wanted to wick things up and get back in the game, aren't they still at the mercy...
So even if the guys at Suzuki Motor USA wanted to wick things up and get back in the game, aren't they still at the mercy of the mothership in Japan as far as a product goes? Is there anyone in Japan actually working on updating the platform for motocross and off-road bikes? They have no MXGP teams, no MX2 teams, no All Japan National teams, no off-road teams worldwide, and they just jettisoned their "factory" MX/SX team in the US. If they're not racing, where is the R&D coming from?
So when you say "updating" you mean adding electric start.

You guys need to realize the bikes have been updated plenty.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/19/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 2:28pm
GrapeApe wrote:
So even if the guys at Suzuki Motor USA wanted to wick things up and get back in the game, aren't they still at the mercy...

Yeah man, they're doing great. I think they should just keep on doing what they're doing. 7th place in sales is a solid top 10 (GASGAS probably pre-sold more bikes that Suzuki had sales in 2020).

I know you're one of the 2 or 3 fanboys on this forum, well, 4 if you include the fictional character TYLER, but even you have to look at the totality of the situation and see the writing on the wall.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/19/2020 2:56pm
Flatliner wrote:
I’m surprised they’re staying in California at all.
Suzuki owns the building they are in and the land it is on. Southern California is still home to one of the largest ports in the world, and arguably the best for goods from Japan.
Just because our state is Hell-bent on killing all business in a 1,000-mile radius doesn't mean that you cannot do business here. You just have to have the right combination of factors. Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/19/2020 3:08pm
GrapeApe wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
Yeah man, they're doing great. I think they should just keep on doing what they're doing. 7th place in sales is a solid top 10 (GASGAS...
Yeah man, they're doing great. I think they should just keep on doing what they're doing. 7th place in sales is a solid top 10 (GASGAS probably pre-sold more bikes that Suzuki had sales in 2020).

I know you're one of the 2 or 3 fanboys on this forum, well, 4 if you include the fictional character TYLER, but even you have to look at the totality of the situation and see the writing on the wall.

To answer your original question, Suzuki does most of its R&D in-house. They have a test facility at Ryuyo, near Hamamatsu, Japan which has its own roadrace and MX tracks. You would be surprised at how little they rely on racing to do R&D. (It may serve as a final test, but they are not using the GPs or AMA races to design new bikes. Any "testing' going on at the races is mostly for the teams themselves.)

You are correct that Suzuki in America is completely at the mercy of SMC in Japan. Those are the guys who are responsible for the development or non-development of MX motorcycles. The "R&D" department in the USA only serves to send Japan suggested settings for the North American market. (And they don't exist anymore, anyway.)

Post a reply to: Suzuki Restructure

The Latest