Star Racing - turning everything on its head?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/24/2021 9:05 AM

Next year they will have Ferrandis, Tomac, and Plessinger on 450s in supercross and add Craig to that list for outdoors.

Meanwhile the other teams typically continue with the tradition of 1 elite guy and 1 support type rider.

If something happens to the top rider on those teams the whole operation effectively goes up in smoke.

The tractor trailers, engine and suspension testing, countless crew members, test tracks, all that is for nothing because the #2 rider really isn’t all of a sudden going to be in position to carry the team.

This model is seemingly outdated and I think star is going to quickly prove that.

With the number of injuries, sicknesses, dnfs, one bad race sometimes means the whole operation is for nothing when the team only has one real top rider. Seems foolish in a sport as risky as this one is.

Will see how star does in the coming seasons, but their 250 performance shows some serious potential ahead.

|

6/24/2021 9:26 AM

What makes you feel certain plessinger will be on star next year?

|

6/24/2021 9:29 AM

LouisianaMotocross wrote:

Some of us are "hopeful'...including me.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

6/24/2021 9:30 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Oh. I thought there was more to it than being hopeful based off the thread.

|

6/24/2021 9:35 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Oh. I thought there was more to it than being hopeful based off the thread.

I think it was one of the last Pulp review pods where Matthes mentioned Star is offering to match AP's offer from KTM. Or however that first right of refusal works in the contracts.

|

6/24/2021 9:40 AM

I don't see Star starting a trend. Can't see Honda or Kawasaki funding four guys on their factory teams. I have to assume Star is receiving a lot of support due to their recent success. The KTM group is already supporting 6 guys on 450s under factory tents.

|

6/24/2021 9:44 AM

Could Yamaha be throwing some big $$$$$$ to star? Open checkbook to try and secure a title?

|

6/24/2021 9:47 AM

So they'll have 2 "elite" riders and 2 "support" riders. They're doing what other teams do, but doubling the number of riders. Which is great. More top tier bike for more riders is always great. But let's be honest. It would be surprising if two of those riders were contending for 450 titles. For all the talk about how every year has the deepest field ever, there are maybe 7 or 8 riders who are real title contenders. The next 12 will get an occasional podium and maybe a win if everything falls in their favor on the day.

|

6/24/2021 9:59 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Next year they will have Ferrandis, Tomac, and Plessinger on 450s in supercross and add Craig to that list for outdoors.

...more

Every team has a #2 rider for nothing. However, if the #2, #3 or #4 is not going to win, getting on the box is just as good to some extent. You really think because Star will be loaded that they won't have their "#2" rider. Every team has their #1 guy. Name a top team that doesn't. KTM/HSQ/Gas Gas are more stacked than Star will be. As is sits, they have the current and defending SX/MX titles holders. Star may win the MX title this year but Honda also has a chance. That being said, I don't see Star winning SX (450). That bike has flaws and it's known. Also, let's be honest, some of these teams can't afford to have more than one #1 rider. Usually, the #2 rider is a guy why can get on the box at a reduced price.

|

6/24/2021 10:23 AM

yz133rider wrote:

...more

So how many teams would be able to compete with 3 "elite" racers on them? They can't just manufacture "elite" guys, there really are a finite amount of them. If we are truly talking "elite", then maybe 3 teams? I wouldn't think that "elite" goes 12 riders deep, really.

|

6/24/2021 10:47 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I don't see Star starting a trend. Can't see Honda or Kawasaki funding four guys on their factory teams. I have to assume Star ...more

Aren’t Husky/GG/KTM different brands? Different sponsors?

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

6/24/2021 10:51 AM

yz133rider wrote:

...more

ZOSICK wrote:

Every team has a #2 rider for nothing. However, if the #2, #3 or #4 is not going to win, getting on the box is just as good to ...more

Every OEM can afford to have more riders…

|

6/24/2021 11:04 AM

1980.. team honda, huge team... not a huge "star" in the bunch... but all those guys pushed each other to reach all new heights...

2021... star 450 big team of Big names.... doubt they will train together, but if they did......

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

6/24/2021 12:01 PM

Frank Tuesday wrote:

So they'll have 2 "elite" riders and 2 "support" riders. They're doing what other teams do, but doubling the number of riders. ...more

Who would you say are the MX title contenders right now?

DF
KR
AC
ET

While Sexton, JB, JA, MM, and AP are fast I don't view them as title contenders. At least not at this moment.

|

6/24/2021 12:17 PM

In a slightly different way, isn't KTM leading this trend, and Star (yamaha) is finally following suit?

KTM through its various models and teams has Barcia, Osborn, Wilson, Anderson, Webb, and Musquin all on factory bikes. Pretty dang solid for 1 manufacturer.

|

6/24/2021 12:31 PM

WoodsRacer wrote:

In a slightly different way, isn't KTM leading this trend, and Star (yamaha) is finally following suit?

KTM through its ...more

They are different bikes, you obviously don’t read MXA

|

6/24/2021 12:35 PM

Its a numbers game. Get as many riders on your bike as possible and the chances of your bike being on the podium goes up. Look at kawi vs ktm. Its 2 vs 6. Which brand are you more likely to see win?

Maybe consolidation is the future. Less teams but more riders per team

|

6/24/2021 1:48 PM

What is Star Yamaha? I googled them and didn't see a dealership or any product behind, "Star" Yamaha.

Geico had funding from Geico, Husqvarna has Rockstar, etc.

Is Star just a name the team decided to use for their team or is there a shop, product or store behind the Star name?

|

6/24/2021 1:51 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

All owned by the same company. Yes, the teams have different sponsors, but sponsors don’t always cover all expenses when it comes to operating a factory team. Either way, I wouldn’t expect them to collectively support more than 6 or 7 guys on 450s among the three brands.

|

6/24/2021 2:13 PM

midwestmoto wrote:

What is Star Yamaha? I googled them and didn't see a dealership or any product behind, "Star" Yamaha.

Geico had funding from ...more

Bobby Regan
Bobby is the owner/dealer of Star. One of the few dealers who actually answers the phone and takes great pride in handling customer issues personally. Most weekends Bobby is traveling around the United States running his National Championship Motocrosss team, Star Racing.
Car dealership owner?
http://starracingyamaha.com/bobby-reagan
https://racerxonline.com/2020/12/21/250-words-the-biggest-team

|

6/24/2021 2:28 PM

tek14 wrote:

Bobby Regan
Bobby is the owner/dealer of Star. One of the few dealers who actually answers the phone and takes great pride in ...more

Bobby Regan/Star Racing

https://www.starautosuperstore.com/

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/24/2021 2:55 PM

yz133rider wrote:

...more

it helps when they have the big financial backing they have, other teams do not...isnt it that simple?

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

6/24/2021 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2021 2:57 PM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I don't see Star starting a trend. Can't see Honda or Kawasaki funding four guys on their factory teams. I have to assume Star ...more

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

All owned by the same company. Yes, the teams have different sponsors, but sponsors don’t always cover all expenses when it ...more

I beg to differ, Red Bull gives KTM a LOT of money...that covers a lot of their race team efforts (no matter KTM/Husky/GG)... I doubt the factory needs to put in much

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

6/24/2021 3:08 PM

yz133rider wrote:

...more

kiwifan wrote:

it helps when they have the big financial backing they have, other teams do not...isnt it that simple?

You mean to tell me Honda and Kawasaki don’t have the money that star Yamaha does? I just think they are so stuck in their ways they’ll never try anything outside of the usual.

|

6/24/2021 3:28 PM

yz133rider wrote:

...more

kiwifan wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

You mean to tell me Honda and Kawasaki don’t have the money that star Yamaha does? I just think they are so stuck in their ...more

I think Honda got burned in 2008/09 when they had Davi, Shorty, Hot Sauce, and Townley and only squeaked out a couple wins. A lot of $$$ with not much to show

|

6/24/2021 5:22 PM

It seems the sport could do with a few more Bobby Regan';s.
If i was in the States looking to by a car i would go nowhere else but his dealership.

|

6/24/2021 5:36 PM

Someday elon musk will make electric dirtbikes and provide the biggest team the sport will ever see

|

6/24/2021 5:41 PM

Meanwhile the other teams typically continue with the tradition of 1 elite guy and 1 support type rider.

Honda: Roczen and Sexton - both Elite
Kawasaki: Tomac and AC - both Elite
KTM: Webb and Musquin - both Elite (historically)

Kinda struggling to see your argument.

Star are definitely stacking the deck with top talent in 2022, but you could argue their structure is no different to other factory teams in the pits currently.
|

6/24/2021 5:49 PM

Could be that Yamaha simply got sick of the KTM group winning everything. Good for them.

|

"If you don't put your work ahead of your talent, you won't win." Mike Babcock

6/24/2021 7:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2021 7:22 PM

bents wrote:

Could be that Yamaha simply got sick of the KTM group winning everything. Good for them.

I like where Honda is sitting with KR, CS and Jett. If anyone is lined up to beat Webb in SX its them. KTM USA is empty without Webb. IMO

|