Snapped frame 2020 yz250F

Related:
Create New Tag

10/30/2020 3:17 PM

Not one to post much in forums, however, I need some ideas on what to do here. I recently had a high speed crash on my 2020 YZ250f and the frame snapped at all three welds on the steering stem. I purchased the bike from Rock River Yamaha and they came back with nothing. Called customer service and got nothing. Clearly a manufacturing defect on the bike and I get shit happens but the customer service is an absolute joke. I've gotten no where and due to COVID I am not sure if production is slow or what but have not seen any frames available for sale. Overall, just curious if this has happened to someone and if it got covered or how they got it taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

|

10/30/2020 3:22 PM

I gotta see pics?

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

10/30/2020 3:24 PM

TommyHolls wrote:

Not one to post much in forums, however, I need some ideas on what to do here. I recently had a high speed crash on my 2020 YZ250f and the frame snapped at all three welds on the steering stem. I purchased the bike from Rock River Yamaha and they came back with nothing. Called customer service and got nothing. Clearly a manufacturing defect on the bike and I get shit happens but the customer service is an absolute joke. I've gotten no where and due to COVID I am not sure if production is slow or what but have not seen any frames available for sale. Overall, just curious if this has happened to someone and if it got covered or how they got it taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

How many hours on the bike? I think you will find little help from Yamaha.

Back in August and within two weeks of each other, my '20 yz250fx seized the rod to the crank and my son's '20 yz450 broke a rod and destroyed most of engine and transmission. FX had 32 hours on it, yz450 48. Yamaha pretty much said pound sand. Still waiting on back-ordered parts for the 450........

|

10/30/2020 3:27 PM

If you crash your bike and it breaks you do understand from the company's perspective they're not in a position help because from your own admission you had a 'high speed crash' and you broke your bike. You broke the bike, so you have to fix it. Right or wrong it's just how it goes. Pictures would be helpful though.

|

10/30/2020 3:34 PM

Totally get it that I crashed it - but the frame snapping at the welds is what I have the problem with. Clearly a defect. Just looking for ideas. Bike has 26 hours on it. Attached the pic. Photo

|

10/30/2020 3:40 PM

Sorry man. "High speed crash" you're at fault. Yamaha has no responsibility in that at all. For all we know, your bike could have slammed into a wall, vehicle or any other object.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/30/2020 3:48 PM

Its not really a defect but the only idea I can offer is go to Rock River Yamaha and see if there is anyway they can sell you a new frame at dealer cost or just above. I launched a new CR 250 out of a creek bed like a rocket and bent or broke $3200 worth of parts and that is when the bikes were $5500 new. Its sucks big time but you have to fix it. sad

|

Ed Johnson

10/30/2020 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 3:56 PM

I've got a frame with a cracked weld for sale if you want ...

|

10/30/2020 3:57 PM

dude... i just bought a new swingarm and rear wheel for my 20.5 FE with 14.4 hours on it this morning to the tune of 1157 dollars so i feel your pain. That being said what happened was my fault and i guess i just have to suck it up... along with some bourbon this morning at 830 as i was hitting “confirm order” 😭😭

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/30/2020 4:19 PM

Are you okay? I am surprised that your front wheel still looks in good shape.

I am thinking the best you will get is a frame at cost.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

10/30/2020 4:20 PM

manufacturing defect? hell no.

|

10/30/2020 4:39 PM

You should be more clear as to what you are looking for...

Are you just trying to get a new frame and they are the only ones that sell it?

Or are you looking for a "gosh dude that sucks... but you know what....we're a amazing Company. So we are just going to send you another one for free."?

Because the later aint happening.

Why should they? Those welds held up for the 25.95 hours before that? If there was a manufacturing defect like you claim.... It would not have made it 10 hours...let alone 26.

Good luck.

|

10/30/2020 4:55 PM

bvm111 wrote:

dude... i just bought a new swingarm and rear wheel for my 20.5 FE with 14.4 hours on it this morning to the tune of 1157 dollars so i feel your pain. That being said what happened was my fault and i guess i just have to suck it up... along with some bourbon this morning at 830 as i was hitting “confirm order” 😭😭

Damn
Alex at socalmotorecycling@outlook.com has “like new” frames, swims arms, wheels, etc from new bike part outs, for great prices. Lots of KTM parts too.

If you can back out of your order, I’d hit him up. Save yourself a bunch of money.

|

10/30/2020 5:00 PM

Can you post a picture of the part that broke off as well please?

|

10/30/2020 5:13 PM

The only defect is the one that’s in your head.

|

10/30/2020 5:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 5:29 PM

bvm111 wrote:

dude... i just bought a new swingarm and rear wheel for my 20.5 FE with 14.4 hours on it this morning to the tune of 1157 dollars so i feel your pain. That being said what happened was my fault and i guess i just have to suck it up... along with some bourbon this morning at 830 as i was hitting “confirm order” 😭😭

langhammx wrote:

Damn
Alex at socalmotorecycling@outlook.com has “like new” frames, swims arms, wheels, etc from new bike part outs, for great prices. Lots of KTM parts too.

If you can back out of your order, I’d hit him up. Save yourself a bunch of money.

Thanks Shaun,

i just sent him an email for the swingarm as its back ordered through november...the wheel shipped already so can’t back out of that one but got a decent deal for a new one on Ebay.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/30/2020 5:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2020 5:50 PM

That is a "snapped frame". Whether or not there's any defect is completely debatable...especailly if you haven't sent it out to someone like Wixom/Element in Detroit for failure analysis.

Dude, that frame was pushed to "ultimate fialure".

You should get a gig testing Trophy Trucks! laughing

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/30/2020 5:47 PM

Yep, you broke it.

...you fix it.

|

10/30/2020 6:03 PM

Welds are generally the weakest point, looks like you proved it!

|

10/30/2020 6:42 PM

bvm111 wrote:

dude... i just bought a new swingarm and rear wheel for my 20.5 FE with 14.4 hours on it this morning to the tune of 1157 dollars so i feel your pain. That being said what happened was my fault and i guess i just have to suck it up... along with some bourbon this morning at 830 as i was hitting “confirm order” 😭😭

We need to hear what happened to your swingarm and wheel .

|

Powerband in every gear !

10/30/2020 6:49 PM

RMATVMC

BR9-21101-20-00
FRONT FRAME COMP. $1,535.40 Usually ships in 7-10 business days

|

10/30/2020 6:51 PM

I think we need the entire story 😂😂

You 100% broke that. I’m glad you’re ok!

|

10/30/2020 7:02 PM

Part the bike out and move on. Maybe get a ktm, since they never snap frames 😂

|

10/30/2020 7:03 PM

And to add, I sincerely hope everyone with badly broken bikes is in good health. Scary pics, but bikes can be replaced easier

|

10/30/2020 7:12 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

And to add, I sincerely hope everyone with badly broken bikes is in good health. Scary pics, but bikes can be replaced easier

BOOM!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/30/2020 7:29 PM

High speed crash, into the Grand Canyon?

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

10/30/2020 7:33 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

And to add, I sincerely hope everyone with badly broken bikes is in good health. Scary pics, but bikes can be replaced easier

TeamGreen wrote:

BOOM!

The fact that it separated evenly along the same toe lines leads me to believe its defective.

|

10/30/2020 7:59 PM

People have bad eyes, or they only believe KTM frames can have manufacturing “issues”.

|

10/30/2020 8:02 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

And to add, I sincerely hope everyone with badly broken bikes is in good health. Scary pics, but bikes can be replaced easier

TeamGreen wrote:

BOOM!

numbers wrote:

The fact that it separated evenly along the same toe lines leads me to believe its defective.

No, I have heard that the welding creates the weakness next to the weld, and no amount of metallurgy can alter that fact.

Think yourself lucky to be alive.

|

10/30/2020 8:21 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

BOOM!

numbers wrote:

The fact that it separated evenly along the same toe lines leads me to believe its defective.

inthebadboycorner wrote:

No, I have heard that the welding creates the weakness next to the weld, and no amount of metallurgy can alter that fact.

Think yourself lucky to be alive.

Pre heating aluminum prior to the weld process and controlling how the welded area is cooled can cause inclusions in around the weld. Controlling the heat and using the proper filler material is crucial in achieving a sound weld. Id say the heat wasn't controlled properly and welded area shrunk faster than filler material. Then are you using 4043 , 5650 or other higher tensile strength filler material.

|