Remember when Supercross bikes would stall?

huck
2/3/2015 9:39am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2015 8:43pm
Those guys crash and their bikes flip 3 times, they get up and get going.... I can't remember anybody in recent time having a bike stall, even after a crash.
|
Digger29
2/3/2015 9:44am
It has a lot to do with fuel injection and a lot guys are running the Rekluse clutch as well and both of these things drastically reduce the engine from stalling during a crash.
ChrisB10
2/3/2015 9:46am
Digger29 wrote:
It has a lot to do with fuel injection and a lot guys are running the Rekluse clutch as well and both of these things drastically...
It has a lot to do with fuel injection and a lot guys are running the Rekluse clutch as well and both of these things drastically reduce the engine from stalling during a crash.
Bingo
liamjumper
2/3/2015 9:51am
Good point, I haven't thought about that haha. It was only a a few years ago when guys would slip up in a corner and stall their bikes without even crashing.That was always interesting. But id say Digger29 is right on the money.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/3/2015 9:57am
Rekluse has more clutches than ever out there, but a large of them are manual, not automatic.

EFI has a large part to do with it, particularly if the tip-over sensor has been disabled.

The Shop

rstaichi
2/3/2015 11:23am
I know I thought it was strange that after TC won he jumped off/ghost ride his bike and hugged some one and when he went back to bike he just picked it up and rode off.
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 11:48am
The 09 KX 450's my kid raced before we quit would stay running indefinitely after I glued the tip over sensor in place.
enketchum
2/3/2015 12:39pm
they have a tip over sensor?
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 2:12pm
enketchum wrote:
Yes, the 09 did. Not sure about since. It's a small black box under the tank on the left side. There is a small pendulum inside and I would superglue them so they wouldn't move.
huck
2/3/2015 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 2:28pm
enketchum wrote:
Yes, the 09 did. Not sure about since. It's a small black box under the tank on the left side. There is a small pendulum inside...
Yes, the 09 did. Not sure about since. It's a small black box under the tank on the left side. There is a small pendulum inside and I would superglue them so they wouldn't move.
That doesn't make sense. So if you leaned the bike over in corner, the sense would think it's tipped over?? Or if somebody like Brett Cue whipped it, would it turn the bike off??
mark_swart
2/3/2015 2:37pm
I think the riders are also very conscious of keeping them running now also.. On two strokes it wasn't a big deal, but now in little get offs well see guys crash and fall off but still holding onto the clutch lever. It's hard-wired habit now, just like a little throttle and a quick, half-ass kick was habit on a two stroke!
mx317
2/3/2015 2:41pm
huck wrote:
That doesn't make sense. So if you leaned the bike over in corner, the sense would think it's tipped over?? Or if somebody like Brett Cue...
That doesn't make sense. So if you leaned the bike over in corner, the sense would think it's tipped over?? Or if somebody like Brett Cue whipped it, would it turn the bike off??
It has to stay on it's side for a timed amount. It won't cut off instantly.
Grieby54
2/3/2015 2:42pm
enketchum wrote:
Yes, the 09 did. Not sure about since. It's a small black box under the tank on the left side. There is a small pendulum inside...
huck wrote:
That doesn't make sense. So if you leaned the bike over in corner, the sense would think it's tipped over?? Or if somebody like Brett Cue...
It has to be in that position for a certain amount of time before it will kill the bike.
ktm300hater
2/3/2015 2:51pm
Grieby54 wrote:
It has to be in that position for a certain amount of time before it will kill the bike.
This.... It stays running about long enough for you to get your ass off the ground and look at your bike, then it dies
resetjet
2/3/2015 4:38pm
show me one supercross rider that uses a rekluse auto clutch.....NO WAY!!!!! Plenty use the rekluse manual.
mxjordy127
2/3/2015 4:43pm
I really remember them stalling and then not starting for 10 laps
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/3/2015 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 5:21pm
enketchum wrote:
huck wrote:
Some freestyle guys glue theres as well, but they do go off a timer that has to have it set on the far end for a certain amount of time. However, the constant movement during a whip or flip typically wouldn't allow it to sit still long enough to set it off
mx836
2/3/2015 5:36pm
rstaichi wrote:
I know I thought it was strange that after TC won he jumped off/ghost ride his bike and hugged some one and when he went back...
I know I thought it was strange that after TC won he jumped off/ghost ride his bike and hugged some one and when he went back to bike he just picked it up and rode off.
I noticed that as well. Couldn't believe it was still running. Laid on the ground for some time.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
2/3/2015 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 9:32pm
resetjet wrote:
show me one supercross rider that uses a rekluse auto clutch.....NO WAY!!!!! Plenty use the rekluse manual.
drenmaster wrote:
They are not the only ones either.

I switched bikes recently with a friend who has the same bike. ('14 KTM EXC500) He wanted to see how my suspension felt, he was riding stock suspension and I had had mine done at ENZO, which by the way works INCREDIBLE...,

Anyways, we switched for approx 15-20 minutes riding in the Piutes, which is a technical/ tight woodsy riding area in So. Ca. When we switched back, he raved about how good my bike handled and how he was going to take his in, when we got home.

Then, he asked me how I liked his clutch ...... I said, "what about it" ? He had put in a Rekluse and I didn't even notice it. I rode thru some really tricky stuff and used the clutch lever as normal, not even a bit of difference, IMO, from my stock clutch.

huck
2/4/2015 4:37am
huck wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Some freestyle guys glue theres as well, but they do go off a timer that has to have it set on the far end for a...
Some freestyle guys glue theres as well, but they do go off a timer that has to have it set on the far end for a certain amount of time. However, the constant movement during a whip or flip typically wouldn't allow it to sit still long enough to set it off
today is a success, as I just learned something. Wink
Wandell
2/4/2015 7:05am
mxjordy127 wrote:
I was just telling my son this same thing Saturday night. When 250f's first came out they were nightmares to re-start. I remember watching guys stall a bike during a race and they were still kicking two laps later! Fuel injection is a huge factor in them not stalling out now. Also, Rekluse isn't the only auto-clutch. I'm sure the factories have a version of it available.
2/4/2015 7:17am
rstaichi wrote:
I know I thought it was strange that after TC won he jumped off/ghost ride his bike and hugged some one and when he went back...
mx836 wrote:
I noticed that as well. Couldn't believe it was still running. Laid on the ground for some time.
I noticed that one as well. In that case, he laid the bike down so that the rear wheel was rotating. Maybe a coincidence? I was wondering if that was a trick that old guys (like me) never learned.
Tim507
2/4/2015 7:30am
mxjordy127 wrote:
Wandell wrote:
I was just telling my son this same thing Saturday night. When 250f's first came out they were nightmares to re-start. I remember watching guys stall...
I was just telling my son this same thing Saturday night. When 250f's first came out they were nightmares to re-start. I remember watching guys stall a bike during a race and they were still kicking two laps later! Fuel injection is a huge factor in them not stalling out now. Also, Rekluse isn't the only auto-clutch. I'm sure the factories have a version of it available.
When the 1st Yamaha 250F came out a buddy said I could ride his - I promptly said no - I knew if I like it I would have to own one. He came over to my place (50 acres) one day and I refused to ride it. About mid day my will power to say no gave up! After 20 minutes I had to have one. By COB Monday I had one - damn I hated that bike at the track when it quit!!!

All my bikes now have Rekluse Auto clutches. I ride normal and use my clutch as normal, however when I need the auto it is a god send. I spent a week in the Sawtooth Mountains north of Sun Valley riding high mtn single track in September last year. Street legal 2012 500XC with a Rekluse and a trials tire - awesome ride.

Wish I would have had one for the 1st 250F I ever had!!!
John250
2/4/2015 7:54pm
I believe from what I have read, most are using a Rekluse clutch or a factory made version of it. Then they just put a Hinson clutch cover on it.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/4/2015 8:07pm
John250 wrote:
I believe from what I have read, most are using a Rekluse clutch or a factory made version of it. Then they just put a Hinson...
I believe from what I have read, most are using a Rekluse clutch or a factory made version of it. Then they just put a Hinson clutch cover on it.
No, I've seen this thrown around a decent amount lately, the majority of the field are still using manual clutches. Even the guys at Rekluse will admit who is and isn't using theirs (they even label the clutch covers with the model being used)
The Rock
2/5/2015 1:04am
Michael do you have experience with slipper clutches?
Damot
2/5/2015 1:29am
John250 wrote:
I believe from what I have read, most are using a Rekluse clutch or a factory made version of it. Then they just put a Hinson...
ML512 wrote:
No, I've seen this thrown around a decent amount lately, the majority of the field are still using manual clutches. Even the guys at Rekluse will...
No, I've seen this thrown around a decent amount lately, the majority of the field are still using manual clutches. Even the guys at Rekluse will admit who is and isn't using theirs (they even label the clutch covers with the model being used)
Why would the field all not use the auto clutch, is it down to preference?

It seems like a no brainer to eliminate
Stalling and to make the bike easier to ride.
Or are there disadvantages to the clutch we don't hear about, hard to setup etc?

My bro in law has just put the rekluse in his yzf as he kept stalling, I had a go on it and must admit I was impressed, but did notice that it takes away the engine braking with no throttle.
JB 19
2/5/2015 4:07am
I can't remember who it was, but it seems like last season someone was rolling around the track after a last chance with his clutch hand up yelling at someone else and stopped and took off without ever touching the clutch.
2/5/2015 5:27am
JB 19 wrote:
I can't remember who it was, but it seems like last season someone was rolling around the track after a last chance with his clutch hand...
I can't remember who it was, but it seems like last season someone was rolling around the track after a last chance with his clutch hand up yelling at someone else and stopped and took off without ever touching the clutch.
Adam Enticknap.

Post a reply to: Remember when Supercross bikes would stall?

The Latest