Not as Good as I Thought

Loopy
Posts
80
Joined
10/11/2018
Location
Girard, PA, USA
So after 20 plus years off a dirt bike I decided last fall to get back into moto. I'm 49 and have followed motorcycle racing since I was a kid reading MXA in the early 80's. I was a C rider through the 90's but just loved riding a bike no matter where in the dirt. I ride a FZ 09 now and continue to mountain bike so I though with keeping up on two wheeled riding I thought my skills would stay somewhat sharp. I picked up a 17 YZ250F as the bike to get me back in. I waited about a month to finally get out and try it out. I even joined a moto club with a nicely groomed track and about 7 miles of trails to keep things different. Within about 60 seconds on the bike I realized I'm not the rider I thought I was. Not even close. Now I figured at my age I wasn't going to be setting record lap times but I thought I could do one lap without shitting my pants. I rolled everything and had zero confidence when I finished. When I got home home and unloaded the truck I stared at the bike and thought what the hell was I thinking. Now I'm not one to give up and quit because I do love the sport and really want keep at it, but I need help. Where do I start???
5
|
Cortami79
Posts
2013
Joined
1/11/2016
Location
NL
6/6/2019 5:19am
Give yourself time. You didn't ride for 20 years. I had a huge crash few 7 months ago and I'm nowhere near my old speed. You just have to ride, enjoy and speed and overcoming mental barriers will be sooner than you think. Watch some video's of Ryno about technique and focus on that part. Everything will come with time
12
yak651
Posts
9072
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Appleton, WI, USA
Fantasy
6/6/2019 5:21am
Take you time and have fun. Try to find some people in your "club" that are around the same ability and go out riding with them. Sucks not having the skills you used to, I used to be somewhat fast (local level), but now on our weekly ride day I almost get embarrassed when a lot of people are watching because all the younger kids (I'm 48) are going so darn fast now! I just keep saying to myself, wait 30 years and see if they are still riding!
4
Last Braaap
Posts
1796
Joined
4/19/2019
Location
Somewhere over the rainbow, CZ
6/6/2019 5:26am
i am currently somewhat 6 years retired noob so take my advice with grain of salt.

I would recommend to start slowly. Of course you will suck year or two but whether you want it or not you will get naturally faster.

Those guys we watch and admire on the track haul donkey because they are almost everyday riding. Take it easy and enjoy it, even trails will help to get comfortable. Don't let the worries and fear get into your head. Just remember thatz you are blessed to be riding dirtbike and the rest doesn't matter.

When you get in your zone then it is time to focus on technique. You might not become walljump-scrubbing bob hannah lookalike but still everything is better than being toxic Vitard™.
2
downard254
Posts
4073
Joined
12/10/2012
Location
Bremen, OH, USA
6/6/2019 5:30am
Spend more time focusing on the basics, like turns, clutch, throttle control. Don't worry about jumps yet. I was in the same boat as you. I started in the early 80's, but by 86 I did get pushed into the A class. While my skill set was elevated a bit above where you were when you quit racing, it didn't change the fact that when I got back on the bike, I was very, very rusty. I had built a small track in my field with simpler jumps, but I also had a variety of turns, loamy soil, off camber, flat, you name it, and that really is where I started to remember how to ride. I had one jump that required me to seat bounce it, and I could get the courage up to stay in that damn seat off the launch for weeks. Once I did it a few time, the confidence came back pretty quick. My biggest issue was that I had developed Carpal Tunnel over the years and couldn't ride for more than 2 laps and I was done. Anyway, work on those turns and clutch/throttle technique and go from there. That's the best .02 I've got for you. Have fun.
3

The Shop

kkawboy14
Posts
11486
Joined
6/5/2015
Location
USA
6/6/2019 5:30am
You made it home in 1 piece?

That was a successful ride.

Now, next time you go ride, make it home in one piece again, boom successful ride. If you don’t like sharting your shorts......well don’t wear shorts!
17
moto0852
Posts
943
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Draper, UT, USA
6/6/2019 5:34am
It's just "time in the saddle" my friend. I've been there. Tough to make up for years off the bike. Just have fun. Stay in your comfort zone. It will come.
4
Kawi15
Posts
568
Joined
5/31/2014
Location
West Richland, WA, USA
6/6/2019 5:37am
I say do not worry about what others do, or what you can and cannot do. Just have fun, and enjoy your time on the bike. You can work on stuff as your strength and comfort level grows.
4
bents
Posts
3428
Joined
12/31/2009
Location
CA
Fantasy
6/6/2019 5:44am
Loopy, stay the course! Most of us still riding at an old age have had gaps where we didn't ride for long periods of time because life got in the way (marriage, divorce, kids, jobs, money, other activities). It is nerve racking for sure but just be patient and enjoy your time on the bike while you build confidence. Don't feel obligate to do anything you aren't comfortable doing, and start small on the jumping deal. Find jumps that allow you to work up to clearing them without crashing (tabletops or other jumps without gaps), and just keep building the confidence. Some days I just have to walk away from something I'm not confident doing even though it pisses me off-I'm old enough not to get sucked into it unless I feel confident enough to nut up.
As downward 254 advises, work on the rest of your bike skills and enjoy. You have the perfect bike to gain confidence with-great purchase. Have fun and welcome back!
2
Frodad78
Posts
2156
Joined
1/11/2012
Location
USA
6/6/2019 5:49am
Bro if it were easy everyone would do it. Give it time and just keep at it. The first time out of a long break is usually the absolute worst. It will come back , even if its slow going, its better than sitting on your ass and wishing.
5
6/6/2019 5:54am
Loopy wrote:
So after 20 plus years off a dirt bike I decided last fall to get back into moto. I'm 49 and have followed motorcycle racing since...
So after 20 plus years off a dirt bike I decided last fall to get back into moto. I'm 49 and have followed motorcycle racing since I was a kid reading MXA in the early 80's. I was a C rider through the 90's but just loved riding a bike no matter where in the dirt. I ride a FZ 09 now and continue to mountain bike so I though with keeping up on two wheeled riding I thought my skills would stay somewhat sharp. I picked up a 17 YZ250F as the bike to get me back in. I waited about a month to finally get out and try it out. I even joined a moto club with a nicely groomed track and about 7 miles of trails to keep things different. Within about 60 seconds on the bike I realized I'm not the rider I thought I was. Not even close. Now I figured at my age I wasn't going to be setting record lap times but I thought I could do one lap without shitting my pants. I rolled everything and had zero confidence when I finished. When I got home home and unloaded the truck I stared at the bike and thought what the hell was I thinking. Now I'm not one to give up and quit because I do love the sport and really want keep at it, but I need help. Where do I start???
Were you jumping everything and setting track records the 1st time you ever rode a bike? Doubtfully, you gotta take time to get back in the saddle. Hell, I don`t ride much during the winter, so I have a few oh shit moments in the spring when I am getting back out there, after a few months off the bike.
1
Loopy
Posts
80
Joined
10/11/2018
Location
Girard, PA, USA
6/6/2019 5:58am
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys. I appreciate the input. I really do. I did some research and found a retired pro that does classes about 30 miles from me on his own private complex.
10
erik_94COBRA
Posts
1182
Joined
7/21/2016
Location
Houston-ish, TX, USA
6/6/2019 6:00am
Same exact thoughts I had when I got back on the track after years off the bike.

My pre-ride mantra hasn't changed: I'm here to have fun and be safe.
3
6/6/2019 6:00am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2019 6:01am
At this point just keep riding. Look for any kind of progression (no matter how small) every time you're at the track, and feed off that -- use it as confidence.

I had a similar experience when I came back. I quit for around 5ish years then got the itch and had to get another bike. I wasn't exactly a C rider when I quit but I can relate in regards to coming back and expecting more of yourself. I was really hung up on it for a while and beyond frustrated with being out of riding shape. (obviously this community knows theres a huge difference in being in shape and being in shape to ride haha) More riding was the biggest solution for me.

Also, look at it from a logical perspective. If a novice basketball player took a 20 year hiatus it would be unrealistic for them to come back and think they'll have the same 3pt average. Even a pro would take some time to get back in the swing of things.
1
motomike137
Posts
8180
Joined
4/22/2010
Location
Fenton, MI, USA
6/6/2019 6:12am
Loopy wrote:
So after 20 plus years off a dirt bike I decided last fall to get back into moto. I'm 49 and have followed motorcycle racing since...
So after 20 plus years off a dirt bike I decided last fall to get back into moto. I'm 49 and have followed motorcycle racing since I was a kid reading MXA in the early 80's. I was a C rider through the 90's but just loved riding a bike no matter where in the dirt. I ride a FZ 09 now and continue to mountain bike so I though with keeping up on two wheeled riding I thought my skills would stay somewhat sharp. I picked up a 17 YZ250F as the bike to get me back in. I waited about a month to finally get out and try it out. I even joined a moto club with a nicely groomed track and about 7 miles of trails to keep things different. Within about 60 seconds on the bike I realized I'm not the rider I thought I was. Not even close. Now I figured at my age I wasn't going to be setting record lap times but I thought I could do one lap without shitting my pants. I rolled everything and had zero confidence when I finished. When I got home home and unloaded the truck I stared at the bike and thought what the hell was I thinking. Now I'm not one to give up and quit because I do love the sport and really want keep at it, but I need help. Where do I start???
Im starting to ride again at 59 after another break. This time I hadn't been on my bike for 4 or 5 years and when I went back out. Im an expert level Vet but my first couple of rides back made me feel darn near like I've never done it before. It takes some persistence and repetition to get comfortable. I love riding motocross but I also go trail riding for fun as well and the trails can be a really good place to gain or hone your basic riding skillset. Be patient and have fun!
Nick_Lalanne
Posts
56
Joined
3/6/2019
Location
Grover Beach, CA, USA
6/6/2019 6:15am
I have the same problem, but i have a method to build confidence. I roll the whole track, and i pick one jump, the easiest, to start jumping, i focus on that jump to try and build up to clearing it, Focus on cornering before it, speed, whatever it is needed to clear the smallest jump, but roll everything else. once i get that so that jump is a cakewalk then i move onto the next easiest jump. Its a slow process but In my mind im very save doing it, not jumping anything im not certain about. After a few sessions you will have the whole track figured out.
4
USA
Posts
2635
Joined
9/4/2016
Location
Richmond, TX, USA
Fantasy
6/6/2019 6:23am
I took a 10 year break and just started riding again about 8 months ago. I know exactly what you are dealing with right now, having to build yourself up from being a spode again. I thought I would get right back to where I was considering I never let myself get too out of shape. Boy was I wrong.

The first time I went to a track again I got passed by everybody and probably didnt clear a single jump. Had arm pump issues and somehow threw out my back going a snail's pace and not even crashing.

Just keep working at it. Your fitness base will really help, and dont get discouraged by not being able to do what you want right now. It took me a good 4-5 months to get up to the speed I had on minis again, and now I feel better than I ever was on big bikes.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. Ride those trails you have access to, get back in the swing of cornering and having throttle/brake control. It all will come back and you will be glad you stuck with it.

I believe in you!
1
motogrady
Posts
3931
Joined
1/27/2008
Location
USA
6/6/2019 6:27am
After not riding dirt for most of my 30s, at 40 I did the same thing. Shocking for sure.

But, it comes back. After maybe a year, you'll be riding good again. To the point you start that I'm invincible feeling crap again. Which will lead to injuries. Which at that time will probably start the cycle all over again.
jtmaster
Posts
171
Joined
12/23/2010
Location
Ephrata, PA, USA
6/6/2019 6:32am
I thought the exact same thing when I started off road again a couple years ago after 20 some years off the dirt. I thought it was a HUGE mistake after my first lap back on a MX track. Slowly got more comfortable but certainly not into the jumps anymore at 50. Riding and racing in the woods has been fun though. And I have no need to impress anyone on a MX track, just there to ride and have fun.
2
Casting
Posts
519
Joined
2/8/2017
Location
USA
6/6/2019 6:34am
Give yourself time, as long as you have fun, you are having a good ride!

Confidence will grow and so will the fun.

Be safe, brother.

-Signed, a young(ish) whippersnapper.
1
Myke
Posts
2500
Joined
9/28/2009
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
6/6/2019 6:37am
Take a riding lesson that will help.
Drtbykr
Posts
2058
Joined
10/29/2006
Location
Fredericton, CA
6/6/2019 6:42am
Make a turn track in a field. Safe, confidence and skill. Also a little trail riding would help.

I quit hockey in my mid twenties when people could outskate me.
But that’s a team sport. Beauty of individual sports MX, you can do whatever you want.

Dress for the crash. Don’t do anything that could make you miss work Monday. Life changes.
4
MOTO732
Posts
300
Joined
1/11/2019
Location
Elkhorn, WI, USA
6/6/2019 6:53am
Any ride you enjoy or have fun at is a great ride. Railing berms at 30 mph and hitting 90 foot triples is not mandatory. Just ride well within your limits. Ride slow as needed and have fun. Then at the end of the day...lie your ass off as to how fast you went or how many times you whipped it over the big double. That's dirt bike riding.
2
phatfi20
Posts
290
Joined
4/24/2017
Location
USA
6/6/2019 6:56am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2019 6:59am
Took off 3 years and felt the same way when you came back. Give it time and make sure to at least set up the suspension clickers on the softer side for comfort. Having it too stiff will just make you less confident and tigher.


Also, don't get overly confident if you start feeling good.
rob162
Posts
608
Joined
7/8/2015
Location
USA
6/6/2019 7:11am
It takes time I had a almost 5 year hiatus. I picked up a new bike. Went to a track that I have turned more laps then i could ever hope to remember. The track was the same as always. I could not jump a single jump could barley turn the damn bike with out feeling like i was going to fall over. An arm pump Holy hell! I honestly looked like a 50 beg rider. Every time i rode though a lil more came back. Give it time it will come back. Also good turn tracks will help alot. Focus on turns once your comfortable in turns everything else starts coming easier.
1
Spudnut
Posts
1943
Joined
6/25/2018
Location
USA
6/6/2019 7:19am
Give it time, it will come back slowly but surely. Don’t worry about looking like a goon, you’re already way faster than everyone that’s not doing it. Leave the expectations at home and go have fun! you’ll be fine with time. Theres a lot of good advice piling up here
Falcon
Posts
12602
Joined
11/16/2011
Location
Menifee, CA, USA
6/6/2019 7:24am
At least let your suspension break in! Your bike probably doesn't handle well at this point. It just takes time.
#434
Posts
1912
Joined
3/23/2017
Location
DE
6/6/2019 7:27am
Don't start on the moto track. Ride around on field, trails whatever. Do whellies, stoppies and just ride around until you get a feel for the bike. Then ride a turn track or figure eight to get back into the flow. And don't even worry about jumping.. you automatically start jumping stuff as soon as you have gained back a little confidence.

And if nothing of that helps: Sell the 250f and get 125 Cool
3
MPJC
Posts
2083
Joined
5/18/2017
Location
CA
Fantasy
6/6/2019 7:28am
I was where you are a few years ago. In 2015 I bought a YZ250 2 stroke and happily motored onto the track after 20 years without riding a dirt bike. I remember saying to myself: "Geez, what have I gotten myself into? Maybe this was a bad idea." I found some trails where I could get used to the bike, and that helped a lot. Now I race locally in vet novice and am still slow, but I love it.
1
FWYT
Posts
3572
Joined
5/25/2014
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
6/6/2019 7:31am
Dude, what? 2 decades off? Seriously, have a more realistic view!!! Hell, I take 2 months off and it's full reset!!!

Just go do some trail riding for a while. Give it time!!!
reded
Posts
3682
Joined
3/26/2011
Location
USA
6/6/2019 7:39am
Don’t go to the track. You’ll get worn out way too fast, make lots of mistakes and become completely frustrated. Instead, ride the trails in 30-60min intervals a couple times each weekend until you can knock the heavy rust off. It’ll all start to come back within a few hours and you’ll feel more confident once you go back to the track.
3

Post a reply to: Not as Good as I Thought

The Latest