Looking for Knee Pad Help

skyrebel88
Edited Date/Time 3/30/2021 9:11am
It is time to retire the old knee pads/ guards. im looking for advice on a new pair of knee pads/ guards to buy. While considering new pads/guards id like to keep in mind the contact area on the inside of the knee pad for the bike. I've tried knee braces before and didn't like the metal or plastic contact area to the bike because it made it harder to hold on to the tank. Anyways looking for brand or specific experience with a particular model.
|
SwapperMX
9/28/2020 6:10am
After listening to Ryno talk about his theories regarding knee braces, I dug out my mountain bike knee pads and have been riding in those lately. Been such a great switch. Gripping the bike with the knees is easier with a much better contact and feel on the bike. I have hit the ground a couple of times and have found my knees to still be well protected. I wear the Race Face Ambush knee pads. They secure very well and are super comfortable and don't move.
Spooner
9/28/2020 6:51am
If I'm doing a guard I still want one that is like a brace as in covering the area above the knee as well as I've hit that on the bars a ton over the years. I wear braces now but I have worn the Astars SX-1 and Thor Force and like them. I feel like I can grip the bike better and just feel more secure in braces and like the mobius and astars for braces. Just got a set of the carbon astars braces and can't wait to try them but I had the non carbon ones the last few years and had great luck with them. Unfortunately I stabbed them with a branch sticking out from the trail and broke the brace but I'm shocked I wasn't hurt more than a bruise as it was a big impact.
agn5009
9/28/2020 7:01am
I always had EVS and Asterisk knee braces but switched to EVS TP199 pads/shin guards. I really like them a lot. I don't ruin pants every couple rides any more and they seem like really good protection. They're really comfortable too so I'm super happy with them. I'll probably go for something similar next time around. They're very well priced too. 10/10.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/evs-tp199-knee-shin-guar…
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/28/2020 1:45pm
Spooner wrote:
If I'm doing a guard I still want one that is like a brace as in covering the area above the knee as well as I've...
If I'm doing a guard I still want one that is like a brace as in covering the area above the knee as well as I've hit that on the bars a ton over the years. I wear braces now but I have worn the Astars SX-1 and Thor Force and like them. I feel like I can grip the bike better and just feel more secure in braces and like the mobius and astars for braces. Just got a set of the carbon astars braces and can't wait to try them but I had the non carbon ones the last few years and had great luck with them. Unfortunately I stabbed them with a branch sticking out from the trail and broke the brace but I'm shocked I wasn't hurt more than a bruise as it was a big impact.
How are the Astars SX-1 for gripping the bike compared to knee braces? Braces seem like they would get in the way but I have not tried any. I am also looking at something that gives a little more protection to the top of the knee. The TP199 don't seem to have any more than other cheaper guards.

The Shop

JBecker 72
9/28/2020 1:48pm
agn5009 wrote:
I always had EVS and Asterisk knee braces but switched to EVS TP199 pads/shin guards. I really like them a lot. I don't ruin pants every...
I always had EVS and Asterisk knee braces but switched to EVS TP199 pads/shin guards. I really like them a lot. I don't ruin pants every couple rides any more and they seem like really good protection. They're really comfortable too so I'm super happy with them. I'll probably go for something similar next time around. They're very well priced too. 10/10.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/evs-tp199-knee-shin-guar…
This is what I use and they have been great for me.
duckdog77
9/28/2020 5:46pm
Another one for EVS TP199’s awesome protection with a little added support!
skyrebel88
9/29/2020 7:12am
Sounds like the majority of you guys like the TP199 pads. im kinda suprised knee and shin guards arent that popular.
Panic_Rev
9/29/2020 8:03am
I've always worn knee braces for max protection. I don't have knee problems and I would like to keep it that way. My current asterisk braces rub the back of my knee raw every time I ride even with a knee sleeve. I like the price point of these and being able to grip the bike better. I would make a switch if the protection is close to a brace.

I know 1 guy mentioned going from a brace to guards, anyone else? Sx-1, thor, and leatt seem to be the best options for a brace like knee guard.
T-MAC
9/30/2020 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2020 4:06pm
Maybe we will see an affordable CTi knee brace with a really low profile frame/hinge combo that provides a really nice feel when gripping/clamping the bike in the near future. Could be the best of all worlds. Who knows.
MelonFan123
9/30/2020 4:34pm
I recently made the switch from bulky Asterisk's to the Leatt Dual Axis knee/shin guards and couldn't be happier
lcgordon711
3/29/2021 6:07am
How are you guys wearing the tp199 pads. I wore them the first time yesterday and they are really comfy except for how the rubbed the crap out of behind my knees. I wore them just as they come with the compression sleeve in them. Would it be better to cut that out and wear my own knee brace sock. Not sure but my legs are sore today from them.
3/29/2021 6:29am
I’ve been eye balling these for awhile now but they keep pushing the instock date back further and further each time. Pretty much the same brace as the bionic 10 except these are fiberglass instead of carbon
Titan1
3/29/2021 6:36am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2021 10:46am
I’ve tried a bunch and I really like the Fox Titan Pro’s...

If you have to strap them on and off with Velcro every time you use them, that Velcro will wear out eventually (long before the rest of the pad). With these, you set the size with Velcro (once) and then take them on and off with a clip.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/fox-racing-titan-pro-kne…
lcgordon711
3/29/2021 6:50am
murph783 wrote:
I’ve got the TP199’s and I like em
How do you wear them? Just like they came? Or with brace socks or something? They tear up the back of my knees.
dedi684
3/29/2021 7:11am
Funny im a long long time asterisk wearer. After this past sunday ive decided to try something different. Theyre feeling too heavy and bulky these dsys
ElliotB16
3/29/2021 8:12am
What benefits are there to wearing knee pads? I’ve heard people say it’s easier griping with the legs.
Titan1
3/29/2021 8:23am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2021 10:45am
ElliotB16 wrote:
What benefits are there to wearing knee pads? I’ve heard people say it’s easier griping with the legs.
It hurts my knees to grip the bike without knee pads. And crashing, its nice to have the knee/shin protection (I ride offroad and rocks, tree branches, , roost, etc. hurt). That's why I wear them.
MyBobbym
3/29/2021 8:48am
skyrebel88 wrote:
It is time to retire the old knee pads/ guards. im looking for advice on a new pair of knee pads/ guards to buy. While considering...
It is time to retire the old knee pads/ guards. im looking for advice on a new pair of knee pads/ guards to buy. While considering new pads/guards id like to keep in mind the contact area on the inside of the knee pad for the bike. I've tried knee braces before and didn't like the metal or plastic contact area to the bike because it made it harder to hold on to the tank. Anyways looking for brand or specific experience with a particular model.
In yer case, Lip balm can help too.
EngIceDave
3/29/2021 10:02am
Seriously, all this time and not one hookers and blow reference?

LOL

ShawdowGlen
3/29/2021 10:04am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2021 10:14am
Titan1 wrote:
I’ve tried a bunch and I really like the Fox Titan Pro’s... If you have to strap them on and off with Velcro every time you...
I’ve tried a bunch and I really like the Fox Titan Pro’s...

If you have to strap them on and off with Velcro every time you use them, that Velcro will wear out eventually (long before the rest of the pad). With these, you set the size with Velcro (once) and then take them on and off with a clip.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/fox-racing-titan-pro-kne…
I 2nd this recommendation. I'm not doing moto....but I do a lot of offroad/adventuring. I don't even know I have these on.
Set em once....then they just clip on and off. I wear em under my pants.

EDIT: I'm actually using the lower tier version Titan Race Knee Shin Guards...not the Pro versions. but I still highly recommend.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/fox-racing-titan-race-kn…

StevenMX
3/29/2021 10:28am
murph783 wrote:
I’ve got the TP199’s and I like em
How do you wear them? Just like they came? Or with brace socks or something? They tear up the back of my knees.
LC I wear the TP199s as well, I just wear a full compression pant tights (underarmor/nike) and slip the guards over. I also make sure not to overtighten those velcro straps as that could further exacerbate and cause that back of the knee rubbing pain. I think first ride with the new pads (also wasn't wearing compression pants) I had that same feel as they "broke" in. Now it's comfortable and no discomfort at all.
lcgordon711
3/29/2021 12:18pm
StevenMX wrote:
LC I wear the TP199s as well, I just wear a full compression pant tights (underarmor/nike) and slip the guards over. I also make sure not...
LC I wear the TP199s as well, I just wear a full compression pant tights (underarmor/nike) and slip the guards over. I also make sure not to overtighten those velcro straps as that could further exacerbate and cause that back of the knee rubbing pain. I think first ride with the new pads (also wasn't wearing compression pants) I had that same feel as they "broke" in. Now it's comfortable and no discomfort at all.
Awesome thanks. One more question did you cut out the sleeve inside or did you leave that?
StevenMX
3/29/2021 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2021 12:55pm
StevenMX wrote:
LC I wear the TP199s as well, I just wear a full compression pant tights (underarmor/nike) and slip the guards over. I also make sure not...
Awesome thanks. One more question did you cut out the sleeve inside or did you leave that?
I left it, that is how it's designed, so not going to mess with it. Compression sleeves in general and pants are beneficial in that they keep your muscles "locked" (albeit maybe only a mental benefit) in place vs no compression garment in addition to the other benefits of recovery and endurance. It's kind of amazing what a little piece of fabric can do, so yes I leave them.
lcgordon711
3/29/2021 1:32pm
StevenMX wrote:
I left it, that is how it's designed, so not going to mess with it. Compression sleeves in general and pants are beneficial in that they...
I left it, that is how it's designed, so not going to mess with it. Compression sleeves in general and pants are beneficial in that they keep your muscles "locked" (albeit maybe only a mental benefit) in place vs no compression garment in addition to the other benefits of recovery and endurance. It's kind of amazing what a little piece of fabric can do, so yes I leave them.
Sweet thanks. I was not sure if the sleeve was what was rubbing or if it was the straps. I’ll wear comp paints under next time
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
3/29/2021 2:32pm
I recently made the switch from bulky Asterisk's to the Leatt Dual Axis knee/shin guards and couldn't be happier
I like Melon's too!

I just switched from Pod's to Leatt Dual Axis and then figured out my sock game. I still run Fox high socks and keep them loose and fold over the top. Comfort is high and gripping the bike feels good again.
lousassle69
3/29/2021 2:37pm
skyrebel88 wrote:
It is time to retire the old knee pads/ guards. im looking for advice on a new pair of knee pads/ guards to buy. While considering...
The leatt dual axis are game changing
maxer
Fantasy
242nd
3/29/2021 2:39pm
Recently switched to EVS TP199 kneepads and they are by far the best i have rode in so far

Post a reply to: Looking for Knee Pad Help

The Latest