Your First moto win

Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 1:11pm
Everybody probably remembers their first moto win like it happened yesterday. Lets see how good your memory is. What was it like crossing the finish line first for the first time? Dates, tracks, class and any other details add to the flavor. Since it was my idea, I'll start first:
Claverack, NY 1981, New England Mini Cycle Assoc. (NEMA) 80cc 7-11 novice class, won the second moto, pretty sure I went 5-1 on the day but don't remember what place overall I got. I remember the last lap was a real nail biter, the second place rider was closing in fast and I think some lappers got in the way which helped me out. Always loved that track ever since, I gave it the nickname "minidilla" for it's similarity to the real 'Dilla with rolling hills and deep loamy roostable farm soil.

Have at it!
|
hvaughn88
10/21/2014 8:06pm
Heber springs mx, 80 class, tried to "whip it" over the finish like and ended up just pulling a boner air and almost ate shit when I landed. I was such a dork. Even had the dorky TLD fin stuck on my helmet
wildbill
10/22/2014 12:05am
Didn't win until a vet and that was at Territorial in Eugene. My friend talked me into racing the open c class on my 500. Went well and won both motos so moved up to Vet B and got smoked, for a while.
Thelen20
10/22/2014 12:13am
125 beginner class, got a 3rd place start and had to pass the two other sand baggers in the class, lol! Not really, we were all legit first year racers, just so happened that 3 of us were a bit faster than the other 20 guys. I got around them in the first couple laps and rode through the killer arm pump on the last lap to hold on for the win.

Will never forget it!

When you have only won 5 or 6 moto's in your life it is not hard to remember em, haha
nytsmaC
10/22/2014 12:18am
Mine was this year, was starting to feel good, somewhat in shape and went 1-1 in MX2 Novice. I was looking to build on it, went out and trashed my shoulder at my next race (Washougal, OTMX +30C).

The Shop

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
10/22/2014 12:20am
Not my first win, (not even a win), but my first race in seniors at one of our local clubs in 125 A/B in '99.

Got a shit start and was in second by the end of the lap and then the guy in first falls handing me the lead!
I'm feeling pretty good until I hear a bike catching me.Huh Last lap and I get passed by Craig Anderson who just happened to take his brothers 125 for a spin in that race...Sad I'm now an alcoholic because of that.Laughing
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
10/22/2014 12:41am
I am still waiting for my first race win!

I have a club championship to my name, that was pretty cool, consistency and rocking up to every round paid off Smile
downard254
10/22/2014 12:59am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 1:00am
1984 250B class, Muskingum Valley MX in Zanesville Ohio. Was riding an 83 RM250 and I has just put a new front tire on it. Found out it was flat going to the gate. My friends, who were A riders used a buddy tank and put as much air in it that they could when the 30 sec card was up. Must have psyched the other riders out, cause I pulled the holeshot and led to the finish. I can remember seeing the second place rider just a little behind every lap and I just held my own to the finish. Damn, I was nervous, but after a taste of the win, I wanted more.
Thelen20
10/22/2014 1:04am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Heber springs mx, 80 class, tried to "whip it" over the finish like and ended up just pulling a boner air and almost ate shit when...
Heber springs mx, 80 class, tried to "whip it" over the finish like and ended up just pulling a boner air and almost ate shit when I landed. I was such a dork. Even had the dorky TLD fin stuck on my helmet
It's ok man, we all had that dork fin in 01'! Lol
Crush
10/22/2014 1:48am
EZZA 95B wrote:
Not my first win, (not even a win), but my first race in seniors at one of our local clubs in 125 A/B in '99. Got...
Not my first win, (not even a win), but my first race in seniors at one of our local clubs in 125 A/B in '99.

Got a shit start and was in second by the end of the lap and then the guy in first falls handing me the lead!
I'm feeling pretty good until I hear a bike catching me.Huh Last lap and I get passed by Craig Anderson who just happened to take his brothers 125 for a spin in that race...Sad I'm now an alcoholic because of that.Laughing
You were an alcoholic before. Liar.
David Murphy
10/22/2014 1:56am
aaryn #234 wrote:
I am still waiting for my first race win! I have a club championship to my name, that was pretty cool, consistency and rocking up to...
I am still waiting for my first race win!

I have a club championship to my name, that was pretty cool, consistency and rocking up to every round paid off Smile
Got to be in to win. Wink
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
10/22/2014 2:18am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 2:26am
Crush wrote:
You were an alcoholic before. Liar.
Laughing Okay... More of an alcoholic!Woohoo

EDIT: I still have that race on VHS and will often sit in the dark naked and cry as I watch it. Laughing
Crush
10/22/2014 2:41am
hahaha... that's pretty good!

If it makes you feel better my first win in the sticks, I cut the 3rd to last turn like a demon after catching from the back. The kid I beat was pissed, and the kid I caught later also went on to do some damage down here. I'm still bitter... Like Vic Bitter.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
10/22/2014 2:55am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 3:04am
1983 at Indian Dunes, 125 jr. It was my second year racing but first year on big bikes. I had won trophies but never had the thrill of winning a moto.

It was the day after a SX (possibly Pasadena where Glover won and Magoo did the infamous whip?) so entries were light -- for those days -- and I had a good feeling.

I went 1-1 but I had to work for it after bad starts. It was the whooped out track that went through the sand wash. There were a couple of good guys but I do remember that I never got tired in a moto. Oh the days. My starts were so bad that I didn't get a holeshot until 1987. Lol
Jrewing
10/22/2014 3:02am
Dunno that winning feeling. Best I've done are second places... Only ever holeshot one race too.
To be honest 2nd feels good. Like "yeah I'm next after that bloke, the winner".
robkinuk
10/22/2014 3:18am
1975 on my Montesa 250cc at Pott Shrigley in East Cheshire England. Won junior races and got enough points that season to be upgraded to expert status.
DoctorJD
10/22/2014 5:46am
Mine was in 84', but I can't remember the track or circumstances. What stands out the most to me that year was the moto I should have won. I was on my new 1984 CR250, and I think it was my second race on the bike at the old Echeeconee MX on Knoxville road. I'll never forget my little brother telling me on the starting line, "This is your day". He was right...kind of. I pulled a massive holeshot in the first moto and checked out. Echeeconee was a sand track. My friends and I trained in the sand a lot and I loved riding it, and I was pretty good at it. I can't remember if it was a 5 or 6 lap moto, but suffice it to say, I had the thing won. Huge lead on the last lap, I come around the last right-hander that leads into the final straight and the bike bogged. Then it just quit.

I was gutted. I'd been racing since 1977 and I hadn't even come close to even sniffing a win. I was this close, and it was ripped from my grasp. I leaned the bike against a fence post and walked back to the pits. At that point, I didn't care if someone took off with the damn thing. One of my buddies rolled it back to the pits for me. The funniest thing about the whole incident was my friend's mom. My parents never went to the races, so she was my "track mom", and she treated me like one of her sons. Let me tell you, she was a fireball, and protected her kids like a momma bear. She had been on the infield watching the race, and when she saw what happened, she walked back to the pits to console me. She sat on the tailgate with me, put her arm around me and asked, "Where did you buy that bike?". I told her, and she disappeared. A few minutes later, her son (my friend) said, "oh shit".

I stood up and looked as she stomped across the track (during a moto) and made a beeline to the guy who owned the shop. She had her finger in his face and was giving him the business. I felt so sorry for him, hell it wasn't his fault, but that didn't matter to her. Ultimately, the problem was traced back to the (non) chamfer in the exhaust port, a major issue with the CR250's that year. It caused a seizure, and ended my race. When I took my bike into the shop, the owner said, "was that your mom?" I apologized and told him no...but she might as well be. I ended up winning a couple of motos that summer, but they weren't as memorable as the one that should-have-been.

huck
10/22/2014 6:09am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Heber springs mx, 80 class, tried to "whip it" over the finish like and ended up just pulling a boner air and almost ate shit when...
I drove past Heber the other day...it's completely grown over and it's hard to tell there was even a track there. I have lined up for many races there....
mmain62
10/22/2014 6:22am
Galesburg motorcycle club galesburg il, 2006 it was my 5th race ever 250C. Got a decent start made a couple of passes and won. Never lost a C class race after that. had my shoulder redone in december of 06 first weekend back riding broke the opposite collar bone.So 6 weeks into the 07 season I raced my first C class race of 07 lapped up to 5th. Moved to B class and have just been in the top 5 ever since. 2011 I broke my femur while training for a come back type season. And now I race about 2 times a year with out training or riding much so i figure If I can be top five B class and not training or riding im doing ok . Its all about having fun and making it to work on Monday nowadays .
IWreckALot
10/22/2014 6:22am
I didn't even know I had won. I thought I was in second place in a hare scramble. Apparently number one wrecked and I didn't see him. I ended up winning about 6 races that season. It was last year.

I got bumped and I'll be damned if I'm not the middle of the pack again.
O___o
10/22/2014 6:32am
Although it was not a win, it was one of my first or second motos ever. I got second. Yamaha tri-moto 3-wheeler 60cc class. (oh hell yea we had a class for those) Dade City Florida. Some little redhead named Ricky won it. I remember his mother Jeanie meant business. Wonder what ever happened to them.
hvaughn88
10/22/2014 6:38am
hvaughn88 wrote:
huck wrote:
I drove past Heber the other day...it's completely grown over and it's hard to tell there was even a track there. I have lined up for...
I drove past Heber the other day...it's completely grown over and it's hard to tell there was even a track there. I have lined up for many races there....
I'm not surprised. I've been out of the local racing scene for probably 10-12 years and I've noticed that riding spots have disappeared quite a bit. I still miss having the race at burns park.
agency399
10/22/2014 8:50am
125C class in fall of 2001. Mexico NY. Pulled the hole shot and checked out on about 20 bikes. Felt like the man. Won the next few races and was bumped out to B class. Confidence was through the roof.

Showed up at last race of the year with the B guys, never rode so hard in my life. Just trying so damn hard to keep up. Puked all over the place after the checkers. Couldn't wait to see where I finished. LAST PLACE!!!!!! haha I love motocross.
visser62
10/22/2014 9:32am
Never won a Moto race, but first win came on a mountain bike in a cross country race on Mt. Hood. It had been sunny all week and then starts dumping snow the morning of the race. Came through the pack on the wet rocks and didn't know I had won until they told me at the finish line.
moto282
10/22/2014 10:23am
Don't remember the date... late 90s Castaic Lake MX track on a 1994 YZ80. My radiator was leaking so I missed practice and the parade lap. My dad got some stuff to plug it from a gas station and I figured I was going to suck since I didn't get to warm up but I think since I put no pressure on myself I rode well and won. My dad made me move up to the Novice class the next weekend at LACR and I was pissed because I got last.. but looking back it was of course the right thing to do. Used to love Shane's track, especially the race around the lake (which I plan on riding this year).
Darryl916
10/22/2014 10:27am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 10:36am
Mine was at Budds Creek just this year in 30+ Novice. I anticipated it being huge but I was too busy riding with everything I had it wasn't like some sort of "in the zone" thing like I was expecting. It was business as usual digging and hitting my marks where just so happens it was enough that day. It was in a first moto so I didn't wanna relish in it too much because I had another moto yet to do that day. I did win the second moto too but again it wasn't like I was out there throwing whips and enjoying it. I was on the edge the whole time. It did feel good after but maybe I had already played it up too big in my mind. I've been second by inches a ton of times before, in my mind it was just a matter of time before the cards went my way. First win was holeshot to checkers. Second moto was after some mid day rain. I got a not so good start trying to get thru the muddy first turn upright. I made the pass for the lead around lap 3 of the 4 lap race.

I've had the euphoric '"in the zone", everything clicking feeling before, and lost.

*edit - I'll go ahead and be honest..... Maybe the fact that I sandbagged to experience a win had something to do with me not being so amazingly stoked after I got it. My series bumps mid year and I skipped a few rounds letting my stiffest competition get bumped and I stay back.
Tim Parsley
10/22/2014 10:28am
Got my first moto win and overall win by virtue of my best friend crashing on the last lap while leading and handing it to me. I got the win and he got a trip to the ER.
Grizz
10/22/2014 12:13pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Take that back! Those fins were cool as shit!
peelout
10/22/2014 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2014 12:18pm
my first win was a desert race in Wendover, Nevada '98. i won the 80cc Overall by about 3 minutes, still the only overall in the desert i've ever won. pretty damn proud of it to this day.

hvaughn88
10/22/2014 12:18pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
hahaha! I sure thought they were at the time!
huck
10/22/2014 12:21pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
hahaha! I sure thought they were at the time!
"were"? You mean...ARE! Wink

Post a reply to: Your First moto win

The Latest