Factory Connection Suspension

braap736
This is my first post here but I have been using this forum for years to find info on bikes so I thought id give back some. To start off I have a 2006 Honda CR250r that I bought a year ago in mint shape, completely stock. Im around 210 lbs, so a little heavy for the stock springs but I rode it all last year the way it was and it wasnt too bad except for big hits where I could feel it in my lower back on hard landings. I knew I wanted to use factory connection because of there history with Honda, so I called vitalmx member mxb2 to help with getting my suspension done through them because he had a hook up with a guy that works there, thanks again for that too Billy.
Anyways I talked with them on the phone and figured out what springs I needed and what kind of riding I do. I used to race 125 B class but that was 10 years ago so I told them to set it up for more of a vet rider than actual B class speed. I stressed to them that Ive had suspension re-sprung and re-valved numerous times in the past when I was racing and it always came back too stiff. I wont say what companies ive gone through in the past but I tried 4 different ones with similiar results but this is my first time with factory connection. They told me that there settings are always on the softer/plusher side so that sounded good.
So I sent it out and they emailed when they received it, then called me when it was done, and then emailed when it sent out back to me. I cant remember dealing with any company ever that has been so on it with customer service.
I had this done back at the beginning of febuary and have now ridden it for a couple weeks and wanted to share with you guys how it felt. My practice track is sandy and I till it about 1 foot deep with my tractor so it gets rough and whooped out real quick. The first thing I noticed was how smooth it was over small chop coming in and out of corners, even though my springs are stiffer it actually feels softer over that type of stuff. The other big difference was in the whoops I can charge a lot quicker without the bike feeling unstable is the best way I can put it. And then obviously im not bottoming any more on big hits because its sprung for my weight. This is the first time ive had suspension come back and actually be plusher and easier to ride with. It is by far the best suspension I have rode and was well worth the money I spent, which was right in the ballpark of other companies that ive used. If you cant decide on which suspension company to go with I would at least give them a call or get ahold of billy (mxb2) and see what they say. Ill try to get some pictures up here this weekend of my bike.
|
wreckitrandy
3/2/2017 11:03am
Thanks for the report. It's refreshing when someone has good things to say. I concur on the plush factor. The smoothest, plushest forks I ever experienced on an aluminum framed Honda were FC.
mxb2
3/2/2017 11:09am
Glad you are happy, agreed on their top notch customer service.
3/2/2017 12:37pm
I completely agree!
I have had several sets of suspension revalved by Factory Connection and have always been more than happy. I consider them the best in the business. The best way I can describe it is "balanced." The fork and shock work well together to give a confidence inspiring feel.
pummel
Fantasy
370th
3/2/2017 1:02pm
I completely agree. You'll also love how you can OJ something so bad you think mid air that you're going to crash and it obsorbs the impact really well and you ride out of it. Much better than crashing

The Shop

Bultaco
3/2/2017 1:04pm
A lot of years ago I had Factory redo (springs and valving) the suspension on my 92CR 250. The results were just as you say. Completely amazing.
doghouse
3/2/2017 1:15pm
I have an '03 CR250 that FC did as well, love those guys.
crowe176
3/2/2017 2:09pm
I had FC revalve an 07 RM 250 a while back. Couldn't have asked for much more. Very happy.

I've had Mike Weisner (in MI) revalve my 03/05 CRF 450's and I've never ridden a better feeling bike. I believe he used to work for FC's race team before he started doing his own thing. If I had an older CRF, I wouldn't look anywhere else.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/2/2017 3:33pm
Putting my suspension in a box tonite to send to them tomorrow.
kiwifan
3/2/2017 4:02pm
I always use FC ....so can relate to the story Smile
NeedMoto
3/2/2017 8:25pm
Glad FC works good for a number of people. Mine...not so much. I will start out by saying, there customer service on the phone, and commitment to turn around time is great!

My bike 17 Honda 450. First go around, 6 weeks ago. Forks harsh, felt like a jack hammer coming into breaking bumps. Abrupt when landing off jumps, especially if you landed back wheel first.

Sent them back, and the 2nd go around was ever so slightly better. I had some friends ride it of varying skills. Novice, to fast expert ability kid.

There feed back.

1> These forks are violent when landing jumps.
2> Are you sure these forks work, it doesn't feel like they move.
3> I was afraid to go faster, these things feel harsh, and busy.

I know I'm out numbered here, but in a good way. Sounds like most have had good experiences.

captmoto
3/2/2017 8:30pm
NeedMoto wrote:
Glad FC works good for a number of people. Mine...not so much. I will start out by saying, there customer service on the phone, and commitment...
Glad FC works good for a number of people. Mine...not so much. I will start out by saying, there customer service on the phone, and commitment to turn around time is great!

My bike 17 Honda 450. First go around, 6 weeks ago. Forks harsh, felt like a jack hammer coming into breaking bumps. Abrupt when landing off jumps, especially if you landed back wheel first.

Sent them back, and the 2nd go around was ever so slightly better. I had some friends ride it of varying skills. Novice, to fast expert ability kid.

There feed back.

I know I'm out numbered here, but in a good way. Sounds like most have had good experiences.

Motocross Action mentioned tusing 9 settings and they were no help. I think ion 1989 Honda had forks on the 250 that could never be dialed in.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/2/2017 8:52pm
NeedMoto wrote:
Glad FC works good for a number of people. Mine...not so much. I will start out by saying, there customer service on the phone, and commitment...

There feed back.

Have you hit them up again?
jeffro503
3/2/2017 9:14pm
NeedMoto wrote:

There feed back.

I would definitely hit them up again. FC is a very stand up company , and they will re-work those things over and over until you're happy. I don't know much about those new forks on the 17' Honda's because they are so new , so FC ( and possibly other suspension CO's ) could be going through some teething pains right now. Don't give up on them. They took my 06' RM 250 and made that 11yr old suspension feel pretty damn amazing. Same goes with the 16' KX450F I just sold....they got that thing completely dialed first time. Was very happy with it.
mxb2
3/2/2017 9:33pm
NeedMoto wrote:

There feed back.

Return it, they will make it right. They have good settings for the 17 crf 450
NeedMoto
3/2/2017 9:38pm
NeedMoto wrote:

There feed back.

ML512 wrote:
Not yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm... My thoughts after riding today, that I best work with a local tuner that frequents are tracks weekly, that I ride at.

Absolutely love the bike otherwise Wink
ehr400
3/3/2017 3:45am
NeedMoto wrote:

There feed back.

I had a not so good experience with them also on my 2011 RMZ450 back in '11. Bike was a BTO bike (Byrnes) and it had the SX setup still, so I sent it to them to make it so a normal person could ride it, well it went to their Oklahoma office not east coast first off. Had some British guy who I was dealing with there and make a long story short he was like yeah we did all of this for them so it has all the real good FC stuff in your suspension, but it is going to be $900 to put it back so a normal Vet B rider can ride it, I was like OK......, I asked since I cant use any of the SX valves and bottoming cones etc. in there can we offset the price if you keep them? HE said yes, then I stll get billed the same price and he kept all the internals from my suspension, which I am sure he probably charged someone else retail for from my stuff.

Also when I got it back the shock was real good but the forks kept packing up on stutter bumps and square edge stuff, couldnt get rid of it no matter what. Kinda harsh. So a guy local in Alabama used to work for them and did their amatuer program went thru it and got it dialed in alot better. He also said unless you send it to the East coast office the work isnt as good. Oh yeah and after getting charged $900 the fork seals started leaking after 5 hours and one dust seal FELL out before that while riding because it wasnt seated all the way.

I have had good luck with them before, maybe it was just me, who knows.
Indy mxer
3/3/2017 4:04am
I'm on my 3rd set with FC. All good for me. They always take the time to listen to me and don't seem to mind lots of questions. Their customer service is very good. When I got mine back for my 16 Kawi 450 it was good for the most part but I had a little trouble getting the forks where I wanted them. I called and and as always someone answered right away. He gave me a few suggestions to try and it worked.

But they always tell you if they can't get them to your satisfaction, you can send them back on their dime for a redo.

Unlike PC. I dealt with them a few years back but won't anymore. Their customer service was not good imo.
mx621
3/3/2017 4:42am
Fc did both my 450 and 125. cant believe i went so long on stock stuff.. one big thing is that they didnt try to push or sell me on parts i dont need.. they actually told me not to waste money buying a lowering link that they would modify the shock internally. considering that they sell lowering links i found this to be outstanding from a customer standpoint. my 125 is literally perfect first try. supurb in chop/breaking bumps and excellent bottoming resistance, my 125 has showa twin chambers vs the stock kyb open champers too. my 450 is very plush and just easy to ride, can be a tad harsh at bottoming on big hits, but i will have them correct that soon..
braap736
3/3/2017 5:13am
Yea I sent mine to the new hampshire location but I spoke with the PA location as well and they both were great on the phone with helping decide what I needed. When I had other brand suspension valving/springs in the past they were too stiff unless I was pushing at my fastest pace then they seemed to work better, which I understand is the point with revalving for a faster rider but when its late in the day and the tracks real rough it would wear me out quicker which kind of defeated the point of good suspension for me. I can say so far with this factory connection stuff that isnt the case, it is the same plush feeling whether im pushing it on my first few laps or towards the end when im just barely hanging on, it basically helps me ride comfortably for a longer time which is exactly what I wanted. And like I said earlier my track is about as rough as it gets.
3/3/2017 5:27am
NeedMoto wrote:

There feed back.

ML512 wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
Not yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm... My thoughts after riding today, that I best work with a local tuner that frequents are tracks weekly...
Not yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm... My thoughts after riding today, that I best work with a local tuner that frequents are tracks weekly, that I ride at.

You need to get with Slipdog here on the forum. He's already done testing with the 17 Honda, and he's in California. He's great to work with and he is a suspension expert.
twall
3/3/2017 10:01am
NeedMoto wrote:
Not yet. Maybe 3rd time is a charm... My thoughts after riding today, that I best work with a local tuner that frequents are tracks weekly...

@NeedMoto - please contact us again. If you call the main number 603-664-2221 you can ask for me "Tom" I would be happy to help you. We know that every rider is different and we want to get the bike working for you. The 17 CRF450 is a new bike, we do a lot of testing as soon as the bike come but that does not always translate to all our customers needs. We stand behind what we do and want to get this right for you. Please reach out to us.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/3/2017 10:13am
They can only tune to as much information as you give. I bring all my suspension to them. The more picky I get the more they allow me to try different valving settings. It's amazing how good my 4CS got after giving them feedback and trying 3 settings.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
3/3/2017 11:59am
I will have to say when I used them it was great. I always dealt with "Evan" in the Cali office. Great customer service. Just as happy with the company I use now as well.. All about the customer service IMO...
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
3/3/2017 12:40pm
NeedMoto wrote:

twall wrote:
@NeedMoto - please contact us again. If you call the main number 603-664-2221 you can ask for me "Tom" I would be happy to help you...
@NeedMoto - please contact us again. If you call the main number 603-664-2221 you can ask for me "Tom" I would be happy to help you. We know that every rider is different and we want to get the bike working for you. The 17 CRF450 is a new bike, we do a lot of testing as soon as the bike come but that does not always translate to all our customers needs. We stand behind what we do and want to get this right for you. Please reach out to us.
There you go. Can't get much better customer sevice than that.
NeedMoto
3/3/2017 3:18pm
NeedMoto wrote:

twall wrote:
@NeedMoto - please contact us again. If you call the main number 603-664-2221 you can ask for me "Tom" I would be happy to help you...
Myke wrote:
There you go. Can't get much better customer sevice than that.
Agreed^^^^^^^ Steve Ross the General Manager reached out to me.

As I mentioned in my original post, Excellent customer service!!!

They stand by there product. I'll post my results in a couple weeks when all is done.
mxbigd17
5/1/2019 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2019 7:43pm
mxb2 wrote:
Glad you are happy, agreed on their top notch customer service.
Just sent my 2015 KX250F suspension out to them today for a rebuild/revalve. I hope it makes my stuff work as good as everyone one has been raving about. I had Tom Morgan build my engine on this bike with a 270cc kit w/head work and the thing is plenty fast enough for me but the suspenders were beating me up. I’m definitely looking forward to how the bike will handle when it’s back together. Also, the customer service has been great so far, I must say.
TeamGreen
5/1/2019 8:03pm
Spent the better part of 2018 on a Factory Connection suspended RMZ450.

The work they do is superb.
mark_swart
5/1/2019 8:20pm
I've had work done through Oregon, California and Oklahoma. All three were great, especially with the Showa twin chambers. I will say my last set they spec'd a stiffer spring rate than I liked, but once I dropped it a rate they were great for me. Apparently I like my forks a little mushy : ) !
H4L
5/1/2019 9:11pm
Have dealt with about 9 suspension companies in the last 30 + yrs. with 6 being well known & 3 of them being local.
FC has been the best with exceptional service & excellent spring / valving specs..

Post a reply to: Factory Connection Suspension

The Latest