Cargo trailer

jrrundle
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 3:19am
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get a cargo trailer pretty soon (told my wife we need it for home projects), and am looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to spend under 6k and only need maybe 8-12 ft. Wells Cargo and Look seem like good options, but I'm curious what you guys think.
Cheers!
|
Pirate421
6/2/2017 2:36am
I have a 6x10 wells cargo road force which is their mid grade trailer. Had it for almost 4 years and have towed it cross country and all over the place, it's a solid trailer. I got mine from Randall Wells cargo. I think he's in Michigan and I was able to go to the factory and Texas and pick it up there. I got a pretty good discount on it and it was about $3k new. Mine has the high interior which is awesome for room but a little tough on mpg so I would take that into account.
jrrundle
6/2/2017 8:41am
Pirate421 wrote:
I have a 6x10 wells cargo road force which is their mid grade trailer. Had it for almost 4 years and have towed it cross country...
I have a 6x10 wells cargo road force which is their mid grade trailer. Had it for almost 4 years and have towed it cross country and all over the place, it's a solid trailer. I got mine from Randall Wells cargo. I think he's in Michigan and I was able to go to the factory and Texas and pick it up there. I got a pretty good discount on it and it was about $3k new. Mine has the high interior which is awesome for room but a little tough on mpg so I would take that into account.
Looks like a nice trailer, though they all kind of look the same when looking online. I'm going to go check out a few dealerships as it seems you're really limited on what manufacturers are available based on your area. I see a lot of really nice ones out in the Midwest area, but then aren't available here in the PNW.
exbmxmx
6/2/2017 8:43am
Whatever trailer you decide to buy, get the trailer with the longest length per width. For example, if they make a 6 x 10 or a 6 x 12, then buy the 6 x 12. You don't really have any penalty with mpg or cargo weight carrying capacity with the additional length.
Another issue is state inspections, like in Texas, any trailer with brakes requires a annual state inspection. So I choose a single axle 6 x 12 which requires no yearly inspection but yet I can still carry 5 bikes (3x85's and 2xbig bikes), tools and generator.

The Shop

Squirtlege
6/2/2017 8:46am
Wells Cargo is a good quality trailer, there are only a few brands that actually are decent, and for the money you can't beat a Wells.
Hut
6/2/2017 8:50am
I have a United trailers XLMTV 7x16. I like it. Probably in your price range for a 6 x 12 footer I would think.
jrrundle
6/2/2017 9:47am
exbmxmx wrote:
Whatever trailer you decide to buy, get the trailer with the longest length per width. For example, if they make a 6 x 10 or a...
Whatever trailer you decide to buy, get the trailer with the longest length per width. For example, if they make a 6 x 10 or a 6 x 12, then buy the 6 x 12. You don't really have any penalty with mpg or cargo weight carrying capacity with the additional length.
Another issue is state inspections, like in Texas, any trailer with brakes requires a annual state inspection. So I choose a single axle 6 x 12 which requires no yearly inspection but yet I can still carry 5 bikes (3x85's and 2xbig bikes), tools and generator.

Good advice on the single axle, I'll make sure I check Washingtons law before I buy.
jrrundle
6/2/2017 10:41am
Looked up the law in Washington State and it looks like all trailers, regardless of size, need to be registered.
Dudley
6/2/2017 11:38am
I have a look trailer 6x12 v nose and haven't had any issues. I wish I could have gotten a double axel with a little more room but at the time it was the largest trailer that I could fit in driveway. It does everything I need it to do though and it was cheap
MXD
6/2/2017 12:33pm
I did a ton of research when I bought mine and I ended up with a Car Mate Custom Cargo. The 2 biggest reasons were that they come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner against leaky roofs and rotted floors and the walls are framed in 2x3 wood face out so it made building it out really easy. Beyond that, they use great components (as a lot of others do as well). I bought mine in 2013 and it still looks brand new and has held up well. I've put close to 20k miles on it without a hiccup.
StretchASU
6/2/2017 12:44pm
Basic things to look for:

V Nose - better on gas. my flat front is a gas hog.
2 Axles - it sucks if you blow a tire and cant at least limp it to an exit and it trashes the brake or worse.
Insulated Roof - self explanatory
RV Style door - better for camping in it if you want to. I have a small latch on the inside of my bar lock door but the RV door would be nice.

This one is a loaner from family and I get to use it all season til someone else needs it in the winter, so I cant complain but a 6x12 fills up quick with 2 peoples bikes, gear, EZ up and camping gear for a weekend of riding. I will get a 7x14 when its time for me to upgrade.

jrrundle
6/2/2017 1:11pm
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I guess from what I've seen you can find trailers pretty cheap, and the real expense seems to be installing all the extras to the inside.
captmoto
6/2/2017 1:16pm
I bought a 6×12 and immediately realized I should have bought a 7 x 14. Something to consider.
MXD
6/2/2017 1:28pm
jrrundle wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys! I guess from what I've seen you can find trailers pretty cheap, and the real expense seems to be installing...
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I guess from what I've seen you can find trailers pretty cheap, and the real expense seems to be installing all the extras to the inside.
Some things to look for that indicate the quality of the build are things like are the walls and roof 16 on center or 24? Are the wall studs wood, metal tubing or something flimsy like "c" channel or hat channel? What size is the frame tubing? Mine is a 7x16 and it was $5800. I ordered it with an RV door with a screen door, 1/2 plywood walls, 2 roof vents, and a bunch of other extras. I could have bought the same size trailer brand new for less than $3000 but the quality wouldn't be there. A friend of mine did exactly that and I watched it rattle to pieces.
exbmxmx
6/2/2017 1:39pm
exbmxmx wrote:
Whatever trailer you decide to buy, get the trailer with the longest length per width. For example, if they make a 6 x 10 or a...

jrrundle wrote:
Good advice on the single axle, I'll make sure I check Washingtons law before I buy.
It's not the registration, its the inspection that happens annually when your trailer has trailer brakes. So that means you physically have to haul the trailer to a vehicle inspection center and have it subjected to a safety inspection before you can renew your registration. It's a new Texas law so I'm not sure about your state.

I totally second the V-nose comments. I wouldn't buy a trailer without one.

jrrundle
6/2/2017 1:55pm
exbmxmx wrote:
It's not the registration, its the inspection that happens annually when your trailer has trailer brakes. So that means you physically have to haul the trailer...
It's not the registration, its the inspection that happens annually when your trailer has trailer brakes. So that means you physically have to haul the trailer to a vehicle inspection center and have it subjected to a safety inspection before you can renew your registration. It's a new Texas law so I'm not sure about your state.

I totally second the V-nose comments. I wouldn't buy a trailer without one.

Sorry misinterpreted your previous comment.

I tried to find the inspection law for trailers but didn't find anything. My dad has had a million trailers of the years, and I can't recall him ever needing to get them inspected, so maybe Washington doesn't have this law yet.

It does seem they want everyone to have brakes installed though:

"Every trailer having a gross weight exceeding 3,000 pounds must be
equipped with brakes on all wheels and capable of being applied from
the towing vehicle. Any trailer whose gross weight is over 3,000
pounds must be equipped with a device which will automatically apply
the brakes in case of a breakaway.
Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or less must be equipped
with brakes if the weight of the trailer(s) exceeds 40 percent of the
weight of the towing vehicle. Trailers manufactured and assembled prior
to July 1, 1965, having a gross weight less than 2,000 pounds need not
be equipped with brakes."

TJ 755
6/2/2017 2:07pm
captmoto wrote:
I bought a 6×12 and immediately realized I should have bought a 7 x 14. Something to consider.
yup me too. it was great when the kids were on small bikes but now it is a little tight but still works fine with 3 bikes and gear plus my truck doesnt really feel it and getting around parking lots etc, is a cinch.
I would go 7-14.
I am now looking at smaller toy haulers instead.

jrrundle, keep your eyes on Seattle CL "trailers" section. its kind of a weird category but there is guys that buy cargo's just to move across country and then sell basically brand new. I see it quite often.
Ted722
6/2/2017 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 2:31pm
I bought a 6X12 single axle Interstate in 2000. Rear ramp door, side access door, and my friend welded up a work bench that we installed in it. Overall, been very happy. It's held up nice. I mostly haul 2 bikes (very rarely 3). Yes, every once in a while, I'd like to have a little bigger trailer but overall it's been a good size. Easy to move around when unhooked.

I've used it for hauling a bunch of other stuff too. I don't think it's an issue these days, but I really like the 6 1/2 ft.(~) plus height inside.
Tracktor
6/2/2017 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 3:03pm
captmoto wrote:
TJ 755 wrote:
yup me too. it was great when the kids were on small bikes but now it is a little tight but still works fine with 3...
yup me too. it was great when the kids were on small bikes but now it is a little tight but still works fine with 3 bikes and gear plus my truck doesnt really feel it and getting around parking lots etc, is a cinch.
I would go 7-14.
I am now looking at smaller toy haulers instead.

jrrundle, keep your eyes on Seattle CL "trailers" section. its kind of a weird category but there is guys that buy cargo's just to move across country and then sell basically brand new. I see it quite often.
What he said. Started with a 6x12 single axle for myself and one kid. The youngest got on '50's. Three riders got tight so went to a 8x16 tandem which actually towed better. That worked great until oldest got on big bikes. We haul 4-6 bikes regularly so went to a 8.5'x20' partially converted to toy hauler(we also have camper). She is a bit big for smaller local stuff but overall works for what we do.
As long as your truck can safely pull it go as big as possible. Tandems tow better so going up a size and to a tandem doesn't really cost you anything mileage/towing wise. Lot's of great used ones as they are pretty tough to mess up..........

No yearly inspections needed in WA. If you buy in state whatever you buy will have the correct brake package usually........
jtiger12
6/2/2017 3:34pm
I got a 7x12 United from a good friend who was getting out. I LOVE IT just looking for a better tow vehicle..

Mini Elsinore
6/2/2017 3:38pm
Here's another perspective:

Had 2 kids on PW50's doing local with a tiny 5'×8' and the wife's Land Rover Discovery. HuhLaughing
Started hitting bigger races, etc., and needed more space for rebuilding KTM & Polini clutches after every moto, so went with a 24 footer with front converted to separate living quarters. Of course, that meant a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban w/ lift and bags. Great for the big races, but a pain in the ass for local stuff. A trashed trailer is trashed no matter how close to home... It became a hassle to go ride, so I sold it all and bought a duramax pickup. Just hauled 2 bikes to local races in the back and called it good.

My now-grown sons tell me now that the pickup truck-only days at the end were the funnest times they had because it was less stress/hassle and kept things in perspective. Just some food for thought....

Good luck with your search.
jrrundle
6/2/2017 4:39pm
Here's another perspective: Had 2 kids on PW50's doing local with a tiny 5'×8' and the wife's Land Rover Discovery. :huh: :laugh: Started hitting bigger races...

Had 2 kids on PW50's doing local with a tiny 5'×8' and the wife's Land Rover Discovery. HuhLaughing
Started hitting bigger races, etc., and needed more space for rebuilding KTM & Polini clutches after every moto, so went with a 24 footer with front converted to separate living quarters. Of course, that meant a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban w/ lift and bags. Great for the big races, but a pain in the ass for local stuff. A trashed trailer is trashed no matter how close to home... It became a hassle to go ride, so I sold it all and bought a duramax pickup. Just hauled 2 bikes to local races in the back and called it good.

My now-grown sons tell me now that the pickup truck-only days at the end were the funnest times they had because it was less stress/hassle and kept things in perspective. Just some food for thought....

Thanks man I appreciate your insight, my dad has a 45 ft toyhauler, so I definitely know the stress/hassle that comes with that. My wife and I just bought our first house (closed on Tuesday) so I don't plan on making any big purchases like a truck anytime soon, ideally I want to get a truck but my SUV works perfect for my day to day life. All I am missing is something to haul my bikes and gear, so for the time being I think a cargo trailer is a good fit for my situation.
Mini Elsinore
6/2/2017 4:42pm
Here's another perspective: Had 2 kids on PW50's doing local with a tiny 5'×8' and the wife's Land Rover Discovery. :huh: :laugh: Started hitting bigger races...

jrrundle wrote:
Thanks man I appreciate your insight, my dad has a 45 ft toyhauler, so I definitely know the stress/hassle that comes with that. My wife and...
Thanks man I appreciate your insight, my dad has a 45 ft toyhauler, so I definitely know the stress/hassle that comes with that. My wife and I just bought our first house (closed on Tuesday) so I don't plan on making any big purchases like a truck anytime soon, ideally I want to get a truck but my SUV works perfect for my day to day life. All I am missing is something to haul my bikes and gear, so for the time being I think a cargo trailer is a good fit for my situation.
Congrats on the new house! Contrary to most others above, I advise going as small as you can reasonably get away with (6x12 ideally?). Just run a tight packing program and stay humble. Cool
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/3/2017 12:20pm
jrrundle wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a cargo trailer pretty soon (told my wife we need it for home projects), and am looking for some recommendations...
Hey guys,
I'm looking to get a cargo trailer pretty soon (told my wife we need it for home projects), and am looking for some recommendations. I'm looking to spend under 6k and only need maybe 8-12 ft. Wells Cargo and Look seem like good options, but I'm curious what you guys think.
Cheers!
Triton Tailers. Hands down the best trailers we've ever owned.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/

I looked up the closest Triton Trailers dealer from your location and there's one 20 minutes from where you live. The dealer is a Chevrolet dealer (Jet Chevrolet) and looks like there's a few trailers on site to choose from. I know you have a budget of 6k but take a look at the following trailer. They're asking 7k but I'm sure you can knock down a couple hundred dollars off.

VC-612: 7' x 12' https://goo.gl/rLStgY

-All Aluminum 16" o/c Walls, Ceiling & Cross Members
-One Piece Aluminum Roof
-Roof & Walls Fit Seamlessly Together (No Gaps) Into Custom Designed Cove Extrusion
-Rivetless Sides/Flat Panels
-24" Aluminum Diamond Plate Stone Guard
-Roof Vent
-Dual Air Vents: One Rear Low & One Front High.
-Rear Ramp Door
-Interior LED Dome Light w/ Wall Switch
-4 Flush Mount D-Ring Tiedowns
-32" Side Access Door
-Aluminum Rims
-Spare Aluminum Rim
-Hoop Style Spare Tire Carrier
-3/8" Plywood Walls
-3/4" Treated Plywood Decking
-US DOT and Transport Canada compliant sealed LED bullet marker lights and stop, turn, and tail light bars

In my opinion the best trailer you can get for the money. You live pretty close by so it's definitely worth the drive to go and take a look at it. If you end up purchasing it you won't regret it.
MX558
6/3/2017 7:57pm
Wells Cargo makes a great trailer, I'm using a 98 6x10 and still works great
jrrundle
6/4/2017 3:18am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Triton Tailers. Hands down the best trailers we've ever owned. http://www.tritontrailers.com/ I looked up the closest Triton Trailers dealer from your location and there's one 20...
Triton Tailers. Hands down the best trailers we've ever owned.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/

I looked up the closest Triton Trailers dealer from your location and there's one 20 minutes from where you live. The dealer is a Chevrolet dealer (Jet Chevrolet) and looks like there's a few trailers on site to choose from. I know you have a budget of 6k but take a look at the following trailer. They're asking 7k but I'm sure you can knock down a couple hundred dollars off.

VC-612: 7' x 12' https://goo.gl/rLStgY

-All Aluminum 16" o/c Walls, Ceiling & Cross Members
-One Piece Aluminum Roof
-Roof & Walls Fit Seamlessly Together (No Gaps) Into Custom Designed Cove Extrusion
-Rivetless Sides/Flat Panels
-24" Aluminum Diamond Plate Stone Guard
-Roof Vent
-Dual Air Vents: One Rear Low & One Front High.
-Rear Ramp Door
-Interior LED Dome Light w/ Wall Switch
-4 Flush Mount D-Ring Tiedowns
-32" Side Access Door
-Aluminum Rims
-Spare Aluminum Rim
-Hoop Style Spare Tire Carrier
-3/8" Plywood Walls
-3/4" Treated Plywood Decking
-US DOT and Transport Canada compliant sealed LED bullet marker lights and stop, turn, and tail light bars

In my opinion the best trailer you can get for the money. You live pretty close by so it's definitely worth the drive to go and take a look at it. If you end up purchasing it you won't regret it.
Thanks for the thorough response, I'll definitely take a look. We went and looked at some Wells Cargo trailers today so it will be nice to have sort of a baseline to compare.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/4/2017 4:39am
We had one custom made about 6 months ago because I couldn't find what I wanted. It wasn't the cheapest way to go by far but I figured I'll have it for who knows how many years so fuggit I went for it. Here's a list of options, and why.
First off it had to fit in my garage so it couldn't be taller than 6'8'', it's 6'6'' tall (overall) you can't stand up in it but bikes fit in easy enough and tying them down isn't that big of hassle. I wanted 2 side doors, one on the drivers side for access when it's in the garage, and one on the passenger side in case I had to get into it on the side of the road. It's worked out great because with all 3 doors open the breeze can flow through and it's easy to access everything. It has a 50 gallon water tank underneath with an rv type pump to a hose bib on the front. I wanted extra water because our camper only holds 36 gallons and we like to go for 4-5 night trips in the desert, plus it's cool to be able to hose mud off the bikes if need be. I carry a hose that reaches to the fresh water inlet for the camper. It has a battery obviously to run the pump and led light on the ceiling. I got a spare mounted inside so it wouldn't rot or get stolen. I went 7x10 because I didn't want the trailer wider than the tow vehicle just for ease of driving. Had the wheel wells put inside because it seemed stupid to have a trailer 7' wide with only a 6' interior width. Went for a single axle because I didn't want to be buying tires all the time and wanted it easy to push around. It has brakes as well. It's fairly small but I can carry 3 bikes facing forward and one backwards if need be. All the chairs bbq ez up lounge chairs 70 gallon cooler gearbags tools spare parts dog shit shovel broom compressor the whole 9 yards. I got it through Carson trailers in Beaumont. Oh and went with cargo not rv style doors for security (plus they were cheaper) We took a 9 day trip up the coast, several desert tips behind our overhead camper. And have pulled it to the races with my Tundra. Really stoked on it so far but it was just shy of 7K BlinkLaughing But screw it it's just money what are you gonna do take it with ya ? lol

lumpy790
6/4/2017 12:07pm
I do not know about out west but here on the east coast you can get smoking deals by cutting out the middleman and buy direct from manufacturer in Georgia. Search on craigslist.

Post a reply to: Cargo trailer

The Latest