Brandon Hartranft

Cokeham23
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 12:26pm
I didn’t see anything posted, but was he docked positions? This says he finished 4th, broadcast had him as 8th, now it shows him 19th. He was involved in that first turn crash, he got bumped off the track and sent into the next lane. He made a right, rolled that section while a few guys caught up, let a few pass then took off around 5th or 6th place.

|
tcallahan707
2/18/2018 9:46am
Haven't seen an official update but if that is true, 19th is ridiculous. The dude waited, then rode really well with the top guys. There was no way to know exactly when he should have taken off, and a penalty is definitely fair, but how can you put the guy in 19th? I'd bet a shitload of Bitcoin that if he was a championship contender, this would be the outcome.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/18/2018 9:56am
No way you can cut that much track and not be severely punished. Even if you let 3 or 4 riders by. As soon as I saw it I was bummed for him giving it his all knowing someone would at least pitch a fit and he would be relegated way back
Trickamoto
2/18/2018 9:58am
I’m glad you brought his name up. The thing that pisses me off about fro it’s stuff like this. Hardly anybody knows who this kid is, he’s riding around in sixth place after being fast all day and not to mention of him. So a guy like me sitting at home watching, I’m wondering who is he, is he a Loretta’s guy, what’s going on but not even a mention about anything about those boring stupid racing clichés that he rattles off on the top 3 guys with no other inside input whatsoever.

So back to Brandon, what’s his story?

The Shop

Construction
2/18/2018 10:10am
Haven't seen an official update but if that is true, 19th is ridiculous. The dude waited, then rode really well with the top guys. There was...
Haven't seen an official update but if that is true, 19th is ridiculous. The dude waited, then rode really well with the top guys. There was no way to know exactly when he should have taken off, and a penalty is definitely fair, but how can you put the guy in 19th? I'd bet a shitload of Bitcoin that if he was a championship contender, this would be the outcome.
It’s really simple you see him off the track. See how many people are ahead of him he should have let every single one of them. By. He deserved what he got
tcallahan707
2/18/2018 10:22am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 10:22am
Haven't seen an official update but if that is true, 19th is ridiculous. The dude waited, then rode really well with the top guys. There was...
It’s really simple you see him off the track. See how many people are ahead of him he should have let every single one of them...
It’s really simple you see him off the track. See how many people are ahead of him he should have let every single one of them. By. He deserved what he got
I agree that he didn't wait long enough and penalizing him was the right move. He should have let all those guys by and re-entered the race in like 10th or whatever. What I don't agree with is him being penalized to 19th. He tried to do the right thing but no way could he have known where he belonged. Put him in 10th to start, check lap times to see if anyone would have completed the race faster than him (excluding lap one), and drop him in behind whoever that may be. He rode really well so I'd guess it would only be one or two guys. AMA just doesn't give a shit about him and won't have any push back so they just said fuck it. Wasn't Ferrandis a couple laps down? The penalty makes zero sense.
Melicar
2/18/2018 10:24am
He should have spun a doughnut on that jump hes on in the picture and got right back on the track at the first turn and charged from behind. You don't get to say " well I was in 4th before I got bumped off the track so I'll just let the first 3 pass me and keep racing"
Melicar
2/18/2018 10:25am
Also, I missed the start so I didn't even realize this happened. I just thought he was kicking ass and was pumped for him. Sucks that happened the way it did.
2/18/2018 10:29am
There was nothing preventing him from just picking up his bike and riding through the first corner like everyone else.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/18/2018 10:36am
Trickamoto wrote:
I’m glad you brought his name up. The thing that pisses me off about fro it’s stuff like this. Hardly anybody knows who this kid is...
I’m glad you brought his name up. The thing that pisses me off about fro it’s stuff like this. Hardly anybody knows who this kid is, he’s riding around in sixth place after being fast all day and not to mention of him. So a guy like me sitting at home watching, I’m wondering who is he, is he a Loretta’s guy, what’s going on but not even a mention about anything about those boring stupid racing clichés that he rattles off on the top 3 guys with no other inside input whatsoever.

So back to Brandon, what’s his story?
Fro was probably confused as to how the leaders were passing him in the third turn as he was rolling the track and then he picked up the pace when he got into fourth.

Pretty sure he knew at that point he would be either shuffled back or DQ’d positions.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
2/18/2018 10:48am
I had him on my fantasy team - they should show him on the podium
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
2/18/2018 11:20am
Maybe he doesn’t care given the experience racing with the front runners and camera time he got.
2/18/2018 5:53pm
Penalty is absolutely justified.
Really, 11 spots? How about 20 seconds? Why did Plessinger only get 1 position for a similar offense?
tcallahan707
2/18/2018 6:24pm
There was nothing preventing him from just picking up his bike and riding through the first corner like everyone else.
He didn't go down. He was pushed straight through the turn.
tcallahan707
2/18/2018 6:26pm
wsc96 wrote:
Maybe he doesn’t care given the experience racing with the front runners and camera time he got.
That's right. I bet he learned that he has what it takes to hang with the big boys. He may look back at this race and say it made his career. As far as camera time, it's a joke that Ralph and Emig didn't have shit to say about him. Think his sponsors would have loved a shout out?
2/18/2018 6:31pm
If he didn’t even fall, then it would have been even easier to ride through the first turn.
mxjon454
2/18/2018 6:35pm
It’s really simple you see him off the track. See how many people are ahead of him he should have let every single one of them...
I agree that he didn't wait long enough and penalizing him was the right move. He should have let all those guys by and re-entered the...
I agree that he didn't wait long enough and penalizing him was the right move. He should have let all those guys by and re-entered the race in like 10th or whatever. What I don't agree with is him being penalized to 19th. He tried to do the right thing but no way could he have known where he belonged. Put him in 10th to start, check lap times to see if anyone would have completed the race faster than him (excluding lap one), and drop him in behind whoever that may be. He rode really well so I'd guess it would only be one or two guys. AMA just doesn't give a shit about him and won't have any push back so they just said fuck it. Wasn't Ferrandis a couple laps down? The penalty makes zero sense.
The penalty is justified. When he got sent into the next lane and turned right onto the lane he shouldve kept turning and went back to the first corner and went about it like that. He couldve rode back thru the tuff blocks safe and went back towards the first turn.
2/18/2018 6:38pm
Good penalty....he would have been close to last if he followed the rules, and it's impossible to know how many riders he would have passed. Very different from AP's penalty. btw, I wonder if this guy is related to JLaw....ha
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
2/18/2018 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 8:11pm
If he didn’t even fall, then it would have been even easier to ride through the first turn.
... I would suggest you watch it before you continue commenting about something that you know literally nothing about. He would have been trying to flip around and spin a 180 directly in front of where the leaders were about to be coming around.

Edit: here, I’ll help you out. Maybe the penalty was justified, but I don’t know that the safest option would have been quickly trying to get back to where he went off and get shmuck’d by the leaders coming around.

https://youtu.be/Sz1ndt7Lg3s

(Can’t embed in a post edit from my phone)
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
2/18/2018 8:10pm
Go back on the track where u left it....guaranteed penalty free maneuver. I’m sure he is talented enough to swing a quick 180 before the leaders plowed into him
hamncheeze
2/18/2018 9:16pm
I understand he should be penalized (even though it effed me in fantasy) but to put him by Ferrandis who by all accounts was in the pits 4 times....how does that work?? I feel like this was pretty arbitrary.

And, in keeping with the total lack of consistency with the AMA and FIM, how was Hartranft given this penalty while Baby Jesus aka AC92 got nothing in Oakland for totally cutting the first turn and piling up some other guys?? It is rule/punishment inconsistencies like these that really make the sport seem janky at times.
Construction
2/18/2018 11:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2018 11:32pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I understand he should be penalized (even though it effed me in fantasy) but to put him by Ferrandis who by all accounts was in the...
I understand he should be penalized (even though it effed me in fantasy) but to put him by Ferrandis who by all accounts was in the pits 4 times....how does that work?? I feel like this was pretty arbitrary.

And, in keeping with the total lack of consistency with the AMA and FIM, how was Hartranft given this penalty while Baby Jesus aka AC92 got nothing in Oakland for totally cutting the first turn and piling up some other guys?? It is rule/punishment inconsistencies like these that really make the sport seem janky at times.
It’s called a penalty not put you where you would have been. Don’t cheat if you can’t handle the penalty
Francis377
2/19/2018 12:08am
I think the penalty is justified. We had a lot of these track cutting controversies lately, probably a good thing to make it clear that you cannot take short cuts on the track no matter what the circumstances. (taking a short cut is different than jumping of the track in a rhythm and skipping two jumps before re-entering the lances.)
¨
I'm still very impressed with the ride he put in once he settled in. Came out of the blue, would be interesting to hear his story.
2/19/2018 12:15am
He did the right thing by not going back to the first turn, could have been ugly if he would have tried going back across the track when the leaders were coming. However getting back on the gas in 4th was stupid, he should have let that first wave of riders pass by before getting back going. Then again docking him behind guys that were out of the race completely is ridiculous.

Like others have said, it’s really sad to see how differently top guys and these privateers get treated in these situations. And the only reasons I can think of why it is like that is that top guys and their teams (and fans) raise hell about it and make you look bad, while the privateers can do nothing so it’s easy to go tough guy on them. The other reason is money. They are scared to mess up a championship battle with penalties because it could have a straight impact on their income from the races.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
2/19/2018 12:21am
He did the right thing by not going back to the first turn, could have been ugly if he would have tried going back across the...
He did the right thing by not going back to the first turn, could have been ugly if he would have tried going back across the track when the leaders were coming. However getting back on the gas in 4th was stupid, he should have let that first wave of riders pass by before getting back going. Then again docking him behind guys that were out of the race completely is ridiculous.

Like others have said, it’s really sad to see how differently top guys and these privateers get treated in these situations. And the only reasons I can think of why it is like that is that top guys and their teams (and fans) raise hell about it and make you look bad, while the privateers can do nothing so it’s easy to go tough guy on them. The other reason is money. They are scared to mess up a championship battle with penalties because it could have a straight impact on their income from the races.
But how does he just let the rest of the field go, it would have been just as dangerous to cruise and not jump the jumps, even on the edge of the track, the far edge did not save Barcia.

It should have been a time penalty.

He did not cause the first turn pile up, I am sure he did not choose to get pushed across the track into another lane.

The picture here is a freeze frame, if he spent just a second or two taking his time to turn around and go back to the start straight there is every chance the leaders are hitting those jumps and someone cleans him up.

If he darts of the track on to the concrete, every chance he ends up on his arse on the ice like surface.

Again he did not choose to cut the track, he was punted out there along with half the field, yet we have seen riders cut the inside of the first turn with no assistance and stay on the gas with no worry.

The inconsistencies with the penalties is crazy.
2/19/2018 1:22am
wsc96 wrote:
That's right. I bet he learned that he has what it takes to hang with the big boys. He may look back at this race and...
That's right. I bet he learned that he has what it takes to hang with the big boys. He may look back at this race and say it made his career. As far as camera time, it's a joke that Ralph and Emig didn't have shit to say about him. Think his sponsors would have loved a shout out?
Yeah Ralph and Fro are a joke !
Actually as I was watching and Cantrell was up there, my thoughts were- Jeff Emig won’t know anything about him and will probably confuse him with Jordon Smith at some point (and Ralph did I think?)
NJKawi913
2/20/2018 12:26pm
The AMA took this way too far, and I feel bad form Brandon who had enough to worry about with it being his first professional supercross. He was a victim of the pile up and I can see how they would want to dock him some spots since he did gain an advantage from it. But to say that he derved to be 2 laps down was ridiculous.

Post a reply to: Brandon Hartranft

The Latest