Boot advice

Grovesy98
Edited Date/Time 12/25/2020 6:01am
Hi, I'm looking for a new set of boots and could do with some advice on some of the brands I haven't tried yet.

I've got wide flat feet and my right ankle was smashed to bits and after repair now sticks out massively on the inside ball. Almost like half a tennis ball stuck on! So I've struggled with boots over the last 13 years since. Here's a few I've tried -

Tcx Pro - Really painful on the ankle and outside edge of my foot. Great durability.

Tech 7 - Ankle was OK but also hurt outside edge of my feet. Lasted well, sole gave out first.

Fox instinct (current boots) - Had 2 pairs now, very comfortable on my ankle and foot, but quite soft with not too much protection. Absolutely stink of cat piss after the first time they get wet inside and can never get rid of it!

I'm interested to know how the SG12 fit, the Sidi range, tech 10s, or anything else with good protection. Cost isn't too important, just need something that fits my strange situation Grinning
|
Rad76
12/9/2020 3:26am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2020 3:26am
The SG12 fits kind of tight around the ankle. I'd say try Sidi Atojo, they're doing pretty good. Tech 10 are good also but not sure with your ankle issue that it will fit right with the bootie inside.
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 4:18am
Thanks, I've read the SG12 are wide fitting for feet but haven't heard anything about the ankle. If they are tight then I'd be in agony, just like the Tcx which are a similar design. I tried on a pair of tech 10 about 10 years ago I think and I think I remember the inner brace causing pain on the ankle
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/9/2020 5:06am
Sidi Crossfire 3 TA has the wider toe box but pretty tight in the ankle. Tech 10 has more ankle room but probably a bit less toe box room.
kb228
12/9/2020 5:09am
I stopped reading at wide feet to tell you SG12s.

The Shop

BikePilot
12/9/2020 5:16am
I don’t know, I wear SG12s and find them a bit on the narrow side. Tech 10s seem to have more room to me. I think the ankles on the SG12 might not work well with your injury. They are pretty stiff. I think you’ll really need to try the various options on, it if I had to gamble and pick one it’s be tech 10s.
Spooner
12/9/2020 5:51am
Grovesy98 wrote:
Thanks, I've read the SG12 are wide fitting for feet but haven't heard anything about the ankle. If they are tight then I'd be in agony...
Thanks, I've read the SG12 are wide fitting for feet but haven't heard anything about the ankle. If they are tight then I'd be in agony, just like the Tcx which are a similar design. I tried on a pair of tech 10 about 10 years ago I think and I think I remember the inner brace causing pain on the ankle
The inner brace on the tech 10 goes around the ankle now rather than over it like it did on the older boots. It's still a toss up as to if it will interfere with your ankle though. Toe box is wide though so you should be good there.
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 6:07am
Cheers guys, I think I'd definitely like to try the tech 10 again
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 6:18am
Also to throw another variable in the mix, I've got skinny calves that most boots don't do up tight enough around the top buckle, I've even removed the top buckles on my current Fox boots as they are useless Blink
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/9/2020 6:29am
SG-10 fits wider than the SG-12. It is also less form fitting in the ankle area. I have both and regularly switch between them. I'd look at the SG-10 if I was you.
biondo
12/9/2020 7:41am
Forma terra Mx have been Great! Quality Italia made...Great protection! Easy to clean up I just power wash when cleaning bike!

Moto88
12/9/2020 8:44am
SG12’s run big, so if your street shoe is a size 9, try a size 8 boot. I too have a damaged ankle and SG12’s provide a lot of support. SG10’s have more room.
12/9/2020 9:35am
O’Neal RDX is a good boot but has memory foam around the ankle and might be too tight for you.

Might have to look at tech 5/7
sandman768
12/9/2020 9:41am
FGR01 wrote:
SG-10 fits wider than the SG-12. It is also less form fitting in the ankle area. I have both and regularly switch between them. I'd look...
SG-10 fits wider than the SG-12. It is also less form fitting in the ankle area. I have both and regularly switch between them. I'd look at the SG-10 if I was you.
Agree 100%... I have very wide feet and bunions just to add more misery, SG10”s all the way. I even have them stretched by a ski shop.
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 9:50am
Unfortunately I can't find any dealers that sell SG10s here in the UK, its only SG12 or Fastback
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/9/2020 9:55am
Grovesy98 wrote:
Unfortunately I can't find any dealers that sell SG10s here in the UK, its only SG12 or Fastback
I have 2 pair of Fastbacks here also. They are really good boots but I don't think they'd work well in your situation. They have less memory foam in the ankle area and are a bit stiffer there. I think with the SG-10's and possibly even the 12's, there's enough memory foam there that you might be able to cut some out and create a relief area for your half tennis ball.
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 9:59am
Grovesy98 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
I have 2 pair of Fastbacks here also. They are really good boots but I don't think they'd work well in your situation. They have less...
I have 2 pair of Fastbacks here also. They are really good boots but I don't think they'd work well in your situation. They have less memory foam in the ankle area and are a bit stiffer there. I think with the SG-10's and possibly even the 12's, there's enough memory foam there that you might be able to cut some out and create a relief area for your half tennis ball.
OK thanks for the info. The softer the foam in the ankle the better, as the Fox boots don't hurt my ankle whatsoever and are very soft. Problem is they are too soft, and cheaply made imo
Yeti831
12/9/2020 10:35am
I came here to recommend the Tech 7s.

Is it just the width that made it hurt your feet? I don’t have flat feet so I’m trying to think of what would work. Have you tried on anything from Sidi or Thor?
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 10:42am
Yeti831 wrote:
I came here to recommend the Tech 7s. Is it just the width that made it hurt your feet? I don’t have flat feet so I’m...

Is it just the width that made it hurt your feet? I don’t have flat feet so I’m trying to think of what would work. Have you tried on anything from Sidi or Thor?
Yeh I think the 7s are just a little narrow for my feet. Makes them hurt down the outsides. I put up with it for 3 years until I tried the Instincts, and couldn't believe how much more comfy they were.

No I haven't tried either of those brands
Yeti831
12/9/2020 10:47am
Yeti831 wrote:
I came here to recommend the Tech 7s. Is it just the width that made it hurt your feet? I don’t have flat feet so I’m...

Grovesy98 wrote:
Yeh I think the 7s are just a little narrow for my feet. Makes them hurt down the outsides. I put up with it for 3...
Yeh I think the 7s are just a little narrow for my feet. Makes them hurt down the outsides. I put up with it for 3 years until I tried the Instincts, and couldn't believe how much more comfy they were.

No I haven't tried either of those brands
I want to say try some Thor boots but I don’t think you’d have much better luck. They are great at the ankles but I think you’d have the same tightness around the foot.

I agree on the Instincts, but with so many people talking about the smell and quality I went Tech 7. I do love how they feel though.

I have a narrow-ish size 13 foot so im definitely a different market.
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 11:00am
I think the cheaper less supportive boots will probably feel more flexible and give me more comfort, but definitely won't help in the event of a crash etc. Its such a difficult situation. I want good strong boots that are also soft and comfy haha. I'm a Uk11/US12

I'm leaning towards trying the tech 10 first, if the inner brace still hurts my ankle then I'll try the SG12 or Sidi Crossfire 3. If all of them are no good ill probably just get another pair of tech 7s and put up with some discomfort. I may even try stretching them out width ways with a heat gun somehow haha
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
12/9/2020 11:46am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2020 11:47am
Don’t even try the crossfire 3. I don’t have a big ankle and they are tight there. They hurt until they broke in. The TA version will fit a wider foot though so at least that might be good. There is an Alpinestars tech 8 with a welt sole. They might fit your foot better than the tech 7, but I would try the 10s first if you want more support.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/9/2020 11:57am
How about a Tech 8 or Tech 10 without the bootie? Run a few pair of socks on that foot and cinch down the appropriate buckles to compensate? It's been a while since I had a pair, but from what I remember it could be a possibility.
WFO
12/9/2020 12:00pm
Grovesy98 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new set of boots and could do with some advice on some of the brands I haven't tried yet. I've got...
Hi, I'm looking for a new set of boots and could do with some advice on some of the brands I haven't tried yet.

I've got wide flat feet and my right ankle was smashed to bits and after repair now sticks out massively on the inside ball. Almost like half a tennis ball stuck on! So I've struggled with boots over the last 13 years since. Here's a few I've tried -

Tcx Pro - Really painful on the ankle and outside edge of my foot. Great durability.

Tech 7 - Ankle was OK but also hurt outside edge of my feet. Lasted well, sole gave out first.

Fox instinct (current boots) - Had 2 pairs now, very comfortable on my ankle and foot, but quite soft with not too much protection. Absolutely stink of cat piss after the first time they get wet inside and can never get rid of it!

I'm interested to know how the SG12 fit, the Sidi range, tech 10s, or anything else with good protection. Cost isn't too important, just need something that fits my strange situation Grinning
I had the same ankle explosion from competing in a racquetball tournament in college.
My ankle bulge is on the outside though
I swear by the SG 12. I order a size bigger than I wear and adjust with 2 pairs of socks.
Roostermx58
12/9/2020 12:17pm
Grovesy98 wrote:
I think the cheaper less supportive boots will probably feel more flexible and give me more comfort, but definitely won't help in the event of a...
I think the cheaper less supportive boots will probably feel more flexible and give me more comfort, but definitely won't help in the event of a crash etc. Its such a difficult situation. I want good strong boots that are also soft and comfy haha. I'm a Uk11/US12

I'm leaning towards trying the tech 10 first, if the inner brace still hurts my ankle then I'll try the SG12 or Sidi Crossfire 3. If all of them are no good ill probably just get another pair of tech 7s and put up with some discomfort. I may even try stretching them out width ways with a heat gun somehow haha
Sent you a PM if you are wanting to try the Tech 10's
Grovesy98
12/9/2020 12:19pm
I broke my tib and fib, shattered the joint, and severely dislocated the foot. They fixed it with plates and screws, and cleaned the joint up, but my foot is kind of offset now below my ankle, and I have limited movement. Hurts every damn day too.

Not sure I'd want to pay top money for the top boots like the tech 10 but then remove the bootie, but I'm keen to try them. My friend has just bought some in my size and I'll try them before ordering anything else
MelonFan123
12/9/2020 1:05pm
Grovesy98 wrote:
I broke my tib and fib, shattered the joint, and severely dislocated the foot. They fixed it with plates and screws, and cleaned the joint up...
I broke my tib and fib, shattered the joint, and severely dislocated the foot. They fixed it with plates and screws, and cleaned the joint up, but my foot is kind of offset now below my ankle, and I have limited movement. Hurts every damn day too.

Not sure I'd want to pay top money for the top boots like the tech 10 but then remove the bootie, but I'm keen to try them. My friend has just bought some in my size and I'll try them before ordering anything else
Sounds like we had the same injury, pilot fracture? I'm just about to start the search for replacement boots as I might be riding soon. Been 9 months since my injury. My SIDI Crossfire 3 got cut off in the ER.

I don't have wide feet like you - hence why I loved my Crossfire 3's - but my left ankle is now noticeably wider than my right thanks to the the two plates on each side. Let me know what boot you end up getting and how they fit
Grovesy98
12/13/2020 3:34pm
After a lot of research and reading/watching reviews, I've just ordered a set of Leatt 5.5 Flexlock. They look and sound like they will be what I'm looking for. The features they have look incredible, and seem to hold up well too. They have plenty of padding around the ankle, fit wide feet well, have great safety features, good durable sole, and are light. I cant wait to try them!
dcg141
12/13/2020 4:19pm
Grovesy98 wrote:
After a lot of research and reading/watching reviews, I've just ordered a set of Leatt 5.5 Flexlock. They look and sound like they will be what...
After a lot of research and reading/watching reviews, I've just ordered a set of Leatt 5.5 Flexlock. They look and sound like they will be what I'm looking for. The features they have look incredible, and seem to hold up well too. They have plenty of padding around the ankle, fit wide feet well, have great safety features, good durable sole, and are light. I cant wait to try them!
We have been selling the Leatt boots with really positive feedback. We put in a lot of their product and its been selling really steady.
12/13/2020 4:29pm
Too late since you made your decision, but I have a fat ankle from a previous lower tib/fib break. I have current tech 7’s and SG12’s. The SG’s are hands down more comfortable and more supportive.
mx4l
12/14/2020 5:10am
Rad76 wrote:
The SG12 fits kind of tight around the ankle. I'd say try Sidi Atojo, they're doing pretty good. Tech 10 are good also but not sure...
The SG12 fits kind of tight around the ankle. I'd say try Sidi Atojo, they're doing pretty good. Tech 10 are good also but not sure with your ankle issue that it will fit right with the bootie inside.
Agree on the tight around the ankle bit. I wear SG12's and can confirm. Although these are still new, I expect them to relax a tad and probably be fine.

Post a reply to: Boot advice

The Latest