Ban on gas bike sales next?

dsc131
Edited Date/Time 8/29/2022 2:25pm
|
LungButter
8/26/2022 12:58pm
100%

But hey, California is still awesome. It's the hub of our sport, tons of people should move there and nobody else should leave there.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
8/26/2022 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2022 1:10pm
Most of the states that Biden won convincingly are expected to follow suit. (WA, OR, CO, NM, possibly among them.)

Though maybe motorcycles will get a stay of execution:

"The air board is working on separate emissions rules for motorcycles and diesel trucks."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/08/25/california-new-ga…

The Shop

RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
8/26/2022 1:12pm
Didn't Kawi announce all electric by 2035?
Yep.

"All bikes are to be electric or hybrid-power in developed markets by 2035"

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/kawasaki-reveals-elect…

It seems that both the market and the manufacturers are already pushing electric pretty hard. I think by 2035, a huge majority of sales would have already been electric anyway.
8/26/2022 1:23pm
Electric bikes should be the least of our worries by 2035. Electrical curfews, blackouts and sky high utility bills are just the tip of the ice berg.

Californians, you think the drought is bad now? Wait until they’re using 500,000 gallons of grade A H2O to mine these batteries. And let’s not forget about the 10 year life span, and the amount of batteries in landfills, landfill fires and who knows what else.

Buckle up boys, the only thing green about this movement is the politicians pockets.
racinstation
Fantasy
1912th
8/26/2022 1:29pm
Electric bikes should be the least of our worries by 2035. Electrical curfews, blackouts and sky high utility bills are just the tip of the ice...
Electric bikes should be the least of our worries by 2035. Electrical curfews, blackouts and sky high utility bills are just the tip of the ice berg.

Californians, you think the drought is bad now? Wait until they’re using 500,000 gallons of grade A H2O to mine these batteries. And let’s not forget about the 10 year life span, and the amount of batteries in landfills, landfill fires and who knows what else.

Buckle up boys, the only thing green about this movement is the politicians pockets.
Hopefully the common sense train rolls into town before all this happens. ICE technology should be our push, not electric.
brocster
8/26/2022 1:32pm
Biggest question of all. Where is the power to charge all these vehicles going to come from??? There is “zero” infrastructure being built to accomodate. If they broke ground to build additional power plants TODAY it would be a year at minimum before it produced its first amp of electricity and more over the additional transmissions lines to deliver it are non existent. As we sit here today nothing is being done other than the “save the planet” words being spoken. Newsom is so disconnected from reality it’s frightening.
fourfourone
8/26/2022 1:39pm
I upvote you for being correct, i downvote you as a downvote to Kawasaki making that announcement, so they cancel each other out.
I can respect that haha!
wolf18
8/26/2022 1:45pm
dsc131 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Most of the states that Biden won convincingly are expected to follow suit. (WA, OR, CO, NM, possibly among them.) Though maybe motorcycles will get a...
Most of the states that Biden won convincingly are expected to follow suit. (WA, OR, CO, NM, possibly among them.)

Though maybe motorcycles will get a stay of execution:

"The air board is working on separate emissions rules for motorcycles and diesel trucks."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/08/25/california-new-ga…
I could see Denver maybe, it’s not practical at all here in Colorado. Could you see all the people getting stranded running around in the Rocky Mountains! Oh let’s run up the mountains this weekend honey. What no charging stations up here?! Let’s see how those batteries last running up and down the Rockies.This could go for other states as well.
SonofThor32
8/26/2022 2:02pm
I don't think I would mind the addition of electric vehicles (cars, bikes, whatever), if it was given as a choice for those that like the idea or want the change, the key word there, choice. When your choices in life are taken away, you are fundamentally losing a freedom, and we are losing choices in life left and right. I know it is hip in 2022 to label anybody who uses the word 'freedoms' or 'rights' as a right-wing nutjob conspiracy theorist, which I am far from, but we ARE losing freedoms every time a government program/bill/initiative bans.... anything at all. This EV following is becoming cult-like, my way or no way (validates Regis' recent post about cancel-culture), They refuse to look at this from any angle but hiding behind rose colored glasses and completely ignore the downsides to this all. If you don't like my way, I will take legal action to ban your way, does that sound fair or remotely American?

Anyway, I am all for the option of EVs, cars bikes anything people would like, the bikes may be fun (electric RC was a good thing). But to take away choices for people, THAT should be banned.
jeffro503
8/26/2022 2:05pm
Blasphemy!!! And how about Fuck no! ??
Love the sounds of my motors and don't ever plan on " Not " love it!
Searights
8/26/2022 2:28pm
Electric bikes should be the least of our worries by 2035. Electrical curfews, blackouts and sky high utility bills are just the tip of the ice...

This is very true. The toll on the earth and environment to manufacture and sustain these batteries are far worse than fossil fuels, let alone the water issue mentioned.
183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
8/26/2022 2:30pm

Hopefully the common sense train rolls into town before all this happens. ICE technology should be our push, not electric.
Unfortunately the government and common sense rarely come together.

Electric bikes have a place, and are a neat novelty, but it will never replace a gas bike for me. I’ve riden the Alta and a couple Zero brand bikes. I could see adding a competent MX version to my garage someday, but never to replace my gas bikes.
nskerb
8/26/2022 2:31pm
brocster wrote:
Biggest question of all. Where is the power to charge all these vehicles going to come from??? There is “zero” infrastructure being built to accomodate. If...
Biggest question of all. Where is the power to charge all these vehicles going to come from??? There is “zero” infrastructure being built to accomodate. If they broke ground to build additional power plants TODAY it would be a year at minimum before it produced its first amp of electricity and more over the additional transmissions lines to deliver it are non existent. As we sit here today nothing is being done other than the “save the planet” words being spoken. Newsom is so disconnected from reality it’s frightening.
Building and improving infrastructure requires dirt to be moved. Moving dirt is bad and evil.
Spergen
8/26/2022 3:21pm
My take, I live out in the countryside in the UK, air quality is quite good, when I go to London the air I breathe is terrible, can really feel it on my chest and for a bit when I return. Any ICE vehicle within the city has to meet very strict pollution limits and the air still sucks. Something has to be done but electric? I'm not on the bandwagon. The energy and pollution caused to make them is horrendous to say the least. And god forbid one crashes! It's treated like a mini nuclear fallout lol

Talking to a shirt and tie guy in the energy sector he told me if just 10% of just cars in the UK went to electric then the generation and distribution would have to increase 4 time's! Like I said 10% it's just not possible in the time frame politicians are pushing for.

On the other hand check out the JCB video on hydrogen engine's, that's where I believe the future should be. Well until some boffins come up with a revolutionary way to propel a mass as easy and cheap as hydrocarbon

Rant over
Moto Nomad
8/26/2022 3:30pm
It's a zero-emission mandate, not an EV mandate. You could still drive a hydrogen car of bike.
My observation is that this mandates a certain percentage of vehicles sold be ZEVs by certain dates. That's not a regulation on companies, although they are framing it that way. It's really targeting consumers. In 2029, gas-powered cars will still be available, so I don't know how they're going to force people to buy a certain product. If someone walks onto a lot and wants the gas-powered car, is the salesman supposed to say "Sorry, we have to meet our ZEV quota. You can't buy that one." How is that going to go over?
Moto Nomad
8/26/2022 3:33pm
If you live in Virginia, this applies to you also, since Virginia has a rule it follows CARB regulations.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
8/26/2022 4:16pm
Even Elon Musk says going 100% electric isn’t the way.

I agree with him, everything in moderation.

But as per usual Commifornia….err I mean California making erratic decisions lol.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
8/26/2022 4:23pm
vdrsnk04 wrote:
Even Elon Musk says going 100% electric isn’t the way. I agree with him, everything in moderation. But as per usual Commifornia….err I mean California making...
Even Elon Musk says going 100% electric isn’t the way.

I agree with him, everything in moderation.

But as per usual Commifornia….err I mean California making erratic decisions lol.
Do you have a source for that?

"Tesla, which produces only electric vehicles, said in a July 26 filing to CARB that the board should require 100% zero-emission vehicles by 2030 "

Of course that's Musk's company, not himself saying that.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-says-califo…

https://www.arb.ca.gov/lists/com-attach/550-accii2022-UydcPwNxBTpSNVcI…
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
8/26/2022 4:26pm
LungButter wrote:
100%

But hey, California is still awesome. It's the hub of our sport, tons of people should move there and nobody else should leave there.
I agree. Every single person from ny (not upstate) and parts of nj should move there.
stone881
8/26/2022 4:26pm

Common sense, really? Clearly this is about a political agenda and that agenda is designed to destroy America as we know it.
8/26/2022 6:05pm
Ii guess they are predicting rapid advancements in battery technology, because it doesn't exist today.
R VanKamp77
8/26/2022 6:39pm
I am very close with the director of our power utility company. I have been told that utilities are going to more than likely increase around 3x, obviously with variance in some areas. If you're financially able, design and implement natural cooling into your homes. Any other comments I have will become political so I'll keep them to myself lol.
R VanKamp77
8/26/2022 6:43pm
Spergen wrote:
My take, I live out in the countryside in the UK, air quality is quite good, when I go to London the air I breathe is...
My take, I live out in the countryside in the UK, air quality is quite good, when I go to London the air I breathe is terrible, can really feel it on my chest and for a bit when I return. Any ICE vehicle within the city has to meet very strict pollution limits and the air still sucks. Something has to be done but electric? I'm not on the bandwagon. The energy and pollution caused to make them is horrendous to say the least. And god forbid one crashes! It's treated like a mini nuclear fallout lol

Talking to a shirt and tie guy in the energy sector he told me if just 10% of just cars in the UK went to electric then the generation and distribution would have to increase 4 time's! Like I said 10% it's just not possible in the time frame politicians are pushing for.

On the other hand check out the JCB video on hydrogen engine's, that's where I believe the future should be. Well until some boffins come up with a revolutionary way to propel a mass as easy and cheap as hydrocarbon

Rant over
Serious question, not being snarky.

Have you ever thought that the feeling you get in the city is not from cars? For examples, humans are shown to have elevated stress in industrialized settings. Also, the removal of local greenery must cause some decrease in oxygen density, and cities are dirty. Simply put, they're gross, dusty, and stale. I really have to think this can't be exclusively a product of cars and buses.
OCgoon1533
8/26/2022 7:07pm
No new ICE models after 2035. Just buy a 2034 powerstroke and you'll be good the rest of your life. Newsom is virtue signaling cause he wants to run for president- he just donated $100k to the Democrat running for governor in Florida.

Post a reply to: Ban on gas bike sales next?

The Latest