Catastrophic Grip Install Issues! HELP!

JG2
Edited Date/Time 5/6/2013 6:31pm
Guys, I need some input on grip installation.

I bought new bars last week and though I had Renthal grip glue I wanted to ride that afternoon so I did an internet search for a "quicker drying" method. Some genius recommended double sided tape & contact cleaner...I tried that and when I pulled the grip on with a moderate tug it went on so easily the bar end blew out the end of my new Renthal Kevlar grip! I sat there stunned for several minutes wondering what just happened here. I calmed down and figured I'd crash on that side sooner or later anyway and wreck the grip but after waiting 2 hours for it to adhere I gave up, ripped it off and figured I would use it for my enduro handguards since they need a hole in the end.

I also had a brand new pair of Renthal 1/2 waffle soft grips so I wrote off riding that day & used the Renthal grip glue liberally. Clutch side went on (gently) with no problem but when I did the throttle tube grip the brand new grip developed a 1/2" tear about 1" from the end. WTF!?!

The glue dried & I rode with it like that but I am still amazed (and pissed off every time I look at it). Is there a secret to installing grips I don't know about...I have put on 5-6 pairs in my life without issues & this is defintely a 1st for me. Are Renthal grips garbage? I have put on a few pairs before w/o problems like this.

p.s. if anybody wants a mismatched set of 2 new grips let me know! Smile

|
SteveS
9/27/2010 3:28pm
Renthal grips are what we always have used. They are good, and their glue is also the best.

I can't imagine making the mistake, but are you sure you got them on the correct sides? We've never had trouble putting either one on.
Hold It On
9/27/2010 4:05pm
I'm with SteveS on this. The grips are different left to right.
9/27/2010 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 4:07pm
Did the throttle tube have a burr or something to catch or cause ripping of the grip? As far as the extra grips go give or sell them to a Quad guy.
mx5471
9/27/2010 6:03pm
It's real easy. A tube of grip glue costs at least 2 bucks for a 1 time use. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a tube of weather strip glue for 5 bucks. It will last you a couple years. It's the same stuff. Clean the bars and throttle tube with brake cleaner,not wd40. Smear the glue on the bar,quickly twist the grip on. Wipe off excess glue right away,and your done. Depending on how you ride,you may need to wire them also.
You also could spit in them and slide them on,which works well but you must use the wire.

The Shop

JG2
9/27/2010 6:36pm
That I mixed the sides up was my first thought too, but no - grips were all put on the correct sides.

I made my original post too long & dramatic - I should have asked "What is the best & fastest way to attach grips?" & left it at that.

The grip glue is/has held well in the past - I will continue using it or weatherstrip glue as 5471 recommends.

Thanks!
CamP
9/27/2010 9:07pm
Clear spray paint works well if you want to ride the same day. I use Black 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive but it takes a day to dry and I've found that it doesn't work all that great with Renthal rubber for some reason. I always use Honda grips and the 3M works excellent with them.
jndmx
9/28/2010 8:48am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2010 8:48am
We always use the Renthal grips, half waffle and the only time I had trouble was with the soft compound grips. I tore one of those putting it on the clutch side once, just pulled too hard like you described.

I think xnational wrench might be on to something with the burr on the bars or the throttle tube thing.

We switched over to the Pro Taper grip glue because it dries very quickly and has a great lasting grip to it.
FIREfish148
9/28/2010 11:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2010 11:24pm
Do yourself a favor and buy some of these. You wont even have to worry about using grip glue. (Although you still should). Every time I have a weak glue spot in my grip I just double up some saftey wire and tie it down. I have about 4 spots where i have had to on my clutch side. I cant remember what size but MSR sells a big roll of it in a tube for like $16.00. Maybe you can find it at motosport,tucker rocky, or somewhere else?
9/29/2010 4:38pm
If you are blowing the end out it is from the pressure in the handlebar,air has no where to go so it blows the end out. I bet the other side of your bars are plugged. Just squeeze the air out of the grip before you put it on. Fastest way to put grips on is with superglue, you better be fast and good or have plenty of grips. When I needed grips to stick before I used superglue 3m weatherstrip adhesive coat the bar squeeze some in the grip and light the glue on the handlebars on fire. Blow it out and run the grip on 5 minutes and safety wire good to go. This worked when I was racing watercraft and would lose a grip between heats.
indy_maico
9/30/2010 12:52pm
The latest MXA wastes 3 pages showing how to install grips.

Now I know why.

God help you guys if you have to do anything DIFFICULT!

I'd like to see you rebuild a clutch on a Maico. THAT would be entertaining!

Sheesh!
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
10/3/2010 10:43am
I use spray paint.
friday10
10/3/2010 4:59pm
I have had the same problem 2 different times with Renthal grips, Used Renthal glue pushed the grip on and the end split out. I've but on at least 30 pairs with no problem. Go figure?? Maybe a few bad batches of material.

lumpy790
10/4/2010 7:07am
I have been using Renthal soft grips for many years and the only time I blew out an end was when I tried to put the grips on with some other type of glue. Renthal grips are very sensitive to other types of chemicals.......and soften and blow out. It even says so in their installation instructions. Use Renthal grip glue and everything is fine.
moto320
10/14/2010 12:09pm
the best thing i found was to use gas. I just take the grip and put it on the hose of my vp jug and squeeze the open ended part so it seals with the hose flip it over then left the extra gas drip out of the grip then i put s coin in the grip so if you do drop the bike it helps prevent the hollow bar from acting like a cookie cutter and cutting your grip . then slip it on and safety wire it and the gas will evaporate and almost glue the grip to the bar
bigmaico
10/16/2010 9:10am
indy_maico wrote:
The latest MXA wastes 3 pages showing how to install grips. Now I know why. God help you guys if you have to do anything DIFFICULT...

Now I know why.

Sheesh!
Indy,

I can do a Maico clutch in 45 mins, & that includes taking off the foot peg & kick starter & putting them back on !
bigmaico
10/16/2010 9:20am
Ok here how I do the grip replacement.

1. Cut off old grip & clean the bars with carb/contact cleaner.
2. Put a line of Loctite Gel super glue on the bar & a few drops in the grip

3. Put the grip on the bar & don't waste any time as you have about 15-20 seconds.

4. Let the glue dry for a minute & check to see if you have it secure, if not you have to work fast & get some carb cleaner under the grip & try it again.

5. have a spare set of grips in case you really screw it up! Been there - Done that!
JG2
10/16/2010 9:20am
Damn fellas, if I had a Maico that needed a clutch installed I would give you a call...but I don't & my clutch is just fine. I was just looking for a grip solution....

Renthal is mailing me 2 new sets of grips becasue 1) I am an idiot or 2) they have seen this happen with their grips before or 3) both #1 and #2.

I am going to try the 3M weatherstrip adehesive & be careful not to let air build up under the grip (which I think was my problem in the first place). I'll keep you posted.

Smile
Big
10/18/2010 1:55pm
Never use any kind of chemicals on the rubber only clean the handlebar proper w brakecleaner for example. If you have an aircompressor w hose and handle put the grips as far as possible on handlebar. when stopping after 1 inch use handle and blow in to the grip. It will expand and just push it as much you want. You can also adjust the grips as much as you want. On throttle-side you need pretty good pressure. After installing grips always wire them inside-middle, outside 1 inch in if you falling on side. good luck!
jeffro503
10/18/2010 2:16pm
I don't use grips! I wrap my bars with barbed wire and Tabasco sauce.....why?.......because I'm a man.......man! grips are for sissy's. Besides , I need all the grip i can get when i'm riding my 82' IT 175 hucking 18' doubles out of gravel. That sucker has a lot of "whoop" when ya giver her gas!
TerryK
10/19/2010 6:23pm
I use compressed air and safety wire. They go on easy and stay on.
mx757
10/19/2010 9:11pm
Heres what i used to do:

1) Remove old grips (Duh)

2) Clean off the old glue or whatever is on there

3) Wrap the part of the bars that your grips are going to go on with electrical tape

4) Pour a little bit of gas in the new grip and shake it around. Dump it out

5) Quickly slide the grip on the bars and twist is to where you want it

6) Repeat steps 1-5 on the other side

wait 20 minutes (gas evaporates quickly) and go ride. Locks on like a vice and is easy to do.
rcannon
10/21/2010 4:29am
You know what works good for getting the air out of them? A needle borrowed from a drug addict. Jam it in, slide grip on, remove needle.

If you dont know an addict, try a veterinary supply store. They have giant needle that will work. Very cheap as well. If that fails, a slit with an xacto knife does the trick.

I once launched 1/4 of a renthal across the garage installing them with 3m weatherstripping adhesive. I was angry, and they were soft grips, but still...

I find that any of them will stick better, and easier if I wash them first. No proof of this, but I think they all have mold release agent inside of them out of the package.

If you hate installing grips as much as I do, check out Pro Grip brand. They are well made and use a very strong under layer.

neysbo
10/21/2010 2:58pm
also poke a small hole in the end of each grip with like a real small screwdriver. It allows the air to get out.
Big
10/22/2010 6:46pm
neysbo wrote:
also poke a small hole in the end of each grip with like a real small screwdriver. It allows the air to get out.
Yeah sure! And letting water in! No Screwdrivers, needles or anything stupid. just lift where you put in the air. If you take gas for example you can throw your Renthals away. Thats an old trick for older an a few new gripssorts. The rubber today is made with less "poison" blabla for saving the planet. And of course the quality take the hit. But we can live with that small problem for sure.
TerryK
10/22/2010 9:09pm
Electrical tape??? Gasoline? Egads man its a motorcycle not a redneck ATV!

If you really MUST us some kind of chemical to get the on the easiest way is to spray a small amount of brake cleaner (just enough to dampen the inside of the grip) then VERY quickly slide the grip on. The cleaner will evaporate faster that you can say "electrical tape" so be quick.

Grips are now on and stuck good. Put safety wire around them so keep water out and Bob's your uncle.
DBerg
10/26/2010 9:36am
I've used spray paint before when I didn't have any glue at the track (Ya it's kind of weird that I happened to have spray paint, but no grip glue at a mx track, haha) and initially I was skeptical, but it actually worked really well and I never had any problems from it. Just spray a little bit in the grip and slide it on. By the time I got signed in, paid, and changed into my riding gear, it was dry and tied some wire around it, and I was good to go. I think the secret to any of the tips given is once you apply the glue, or whatever it is that you're going to put on there to make it easy to instal, you have to be quick with it once you start.
indy_maico
10/29/2010 8:47am
indy_maico wrote:
The latest MXA wastes 3 pages showing how to install grips. Now I know why. God help you guys if you have to do anything DIFFICULT...

Now I know why.

Sheesh!
bigmaico wrote:
Indy, I can do a Maico clutch in 45 mins, & that includes taking off the foot peg & kick starter & putting them back on...
Indy,

I can do a Maico clutch in 45 mins, & that includes taking off the foot peg & kick starter & putting them back on !
I might not be able to match that, but I would only maybe be an half-hour behind you.

But we're old-school!

Speaking of Maico clutches, have you ever used one of those big single coil Wheelsmith springs? Any feedback?
doug.rea1
5/6/2013 6:31pm
I have been away from the motorcycle scene for about 35 years, so I am having to go through a whole lot of updates through the new technologies that are abound. I was concerned about installing a new pair of renthal half waffle grips on my Suzuki correctly. I just did it without any hitches whatsoever. Before you install the grips, make sure that you have purchased the renthal grip glue. It makes things much easier. One of the new technologies is that I was talking about is the compound that the grips are made from. They have a super soft compound that does not mix well with chemicals. In other words, solvents and distillants will desolve the grips and make them useless in a very short while. Determine which grip has the smaller inside diameter. you can do this easily by sticking a nickle inside the grips. The nickle is slightly larger than the left hand grip. You will install the left grip first to keep from trapping air inside the handlebar. The throttle side (right side) will bleed off the air much easier. Put three beads of grip glue on the bar and smear a small amount inside the left grip. quickly but gently slide the grip on slightly twisting it as it goes on. immediately make sure that the waffle portion of the grip is facing forward. That is the part of the grip which will interlace with your fingers. Repeat these steps for the right hand side. (VERY IMPORTANT) You must let the glue set for 8 hours before riding or manipulating the controls. Clean off any excess glue with a knife or some sort of scraper. (AGAIN) Do not use any kind of solvent..You may also want to safety wire your grips with lacing wire. Be sure not to put the wire ends where they will stick into your hands. Turn the wire end under and stick it into the soft rubber of the grip.

Post a reply to: Catastrophic Grip Install Issues! HELP!

The Latest