Posts
67
Joined
2/12/2019
Location
Simi Valley, CA, USA
Who makes a good set of triple clamps these days for a reasonable price? Other than changing offset are there any added benefits?
The Shop
DeCal Works Huge Plastic Inventory of UFO and Polisport kits.
Luxon 4-Post Bar Mounts
$189.95 - $239.95
There are a lot of Triple clamp options out there: Xtrig, Neken, Ride Engineering, DP Racing, Bud, Pro Circuit, Applied, BRP, Scar, Kite, probably some I'm forgetting, and of course Luxon. Some offer nothing more than bling (color anodized), others offer that plus various other features. Some main considerations in a clamp:
Strength
Really not an issue these days. A well designed set of clamps will be plenty strong assuming they've hit a reasonable stiffness target. If a particular manufacturer's clamps aren't strong enough, you'd hear about it quickly, in here or elsewhere. In most cases, a broken set of clamps is the result of a major get-off, huge case, etc. This isn't necessarily true for bar mounts, though. More on that below.
Weight
Clamps should be as light as possible given that they're strong and stiff enough. Often times aftermarket clamps are about the same weigh as stock or heavier. If they're lighter, they typically give something up to get there, most notably stiffness.
Stiffness
For most people this is the least understood aspect in clamps by far. It's rare that riders, testers, the media, or anyone really truly understands it and it's clear from how they describe it (or typically don't adequately describe it). Most aftermarket companies will tell you they've "optimized stiffness" or have "optimal flex characteristics" or some other such nonsense. They never tell you what changed (more or less stiff? And in which conditions - torsion, bump, lateral, longitudinal? How is it optimal?).
The key to stiffness in clamp design is: maximizing vertical stiffness (bump) so the forks don't deflect and bind, maximizing torsional stiffness for steering precision and feel, and maintaining suitable flex longitudinally to help absorb bumps and vibrations. All these stiffness goals conflict with one another and are further compromised by compliance in the bar mounts as that has a major influence on feel as well. And it's important to note that stiffer clamps sometimes feels more plush to the rider as it allows the forks to work better than a flexy clamp that causes them to bind. Beyond that, you can't listen to someone who's tested clamps and noted on their stiffness without understanding the rest of their bike setup. Everything flexes - wheels, tires, forks, clamps, bars, chassis, axles, etc. If they've got some stiff A60 rims, a-kit forks, different tires, or anything else, it's all going to have an effect. If you want to understand the effects of clamp stiffness it really needs to be a back to back test on the same bike with a similar setup as yours.
Bar Mounts
Are the bar mounts the same as stock? Rubber mounted or solid? Some new "improved" design or same as stock? Do they fix a problem that the stock ones have; often twisting (most all rubber mounts) or bending (all current stock KTM/Husky mounts)? The key to a good bar mount design is having one that doesn't twist or bend from a minor crash, yet absorbs vibrations and bumps nicely. And it shouldn't weigh a ton! For example, the Xtrig mounts perform quite well, but they're nearly twice the weight of similar performing mounts.
Additional Features
Often times, aftermarket clamps are nothing more than machined copies of stock, with some very minor differences, and anodized to look nice. Pro Circuit is a great example of this. Nothing stands out about the design, they're on par with strength, stiffness, and weight of stock but with no extra features. But of course they have the cool factor because of the name... Lots of brands are similar to this, with only a few offering a unique design/advantage. Some are again similar to stock in design, but thinned up throughout so they're lighter. The downside of this is that they're flexy, which is rarely desirable.
Notable standouts with additional features are Xtrig (split fork tube clamp design, some offer adjustable offset, nice bar mounts, but otherwise very similar to stock and rather heavy), Neken (the air/spring bar mount versions - similar to stock otherwise and heavy due to the mounts), and Luxon (strong rubber mounted bar mounts with a topology optimized design, much different than stock - typically lighter stiffer and stronger than stock, but that's bike dependent).
Price
If you're looking for something that hits the mark on all the above points, it's not going to be cheap. Expect to pay on the order of $800 for a nice set of clamps with bar mounts. If you're just looking for anodized bling, you can probably find a set for something like $500 with bar mounts, or cheaper if they use the stock bar mounts. But why spend the money unless you can get some real performance benefit?
Obviously the Luxon clamps are the best available (we may be a bit biased though
Edit: All that and I forgot to address the offset!
Offset can have a significant effect on handling. It's very bike dependent and these days the manufacturers have gotten it pretty close with their stock clamps. That said, it can still be an advantage to change it in some cases. Again, it's heavily rider, style of riding (moto, off-road, etc.), track condition, and bike dependent. Few people are going to buy multiple sets of clamps with different offsets and change them depending on what they're riding that day. Even the adjustable offset clamps like Xtrig are rarely touched once a rider finds the offset they like. As I said earlier, the manufacturers have done a pretty good job finding out what the right "happy medium" offset is for most people and most riding. You'll probably only want to change offset if you're doing something rather different from the norm.
Gonna give xtrig a shot on my next bike.
The bike is an '06 YZ250. It came with an '05 front end so I am building up a new(correct) front end. I have been shopping used OE triple clamps, mostly off old yz250fs that are being parted out, but I thought maybe I would go the aftermarket route instead of putting my money on fleebay. With aftermarket, I like that I don't have to press out the already beat up steering stem and swap it over to the 250f clamps.
Not sure if I want to go 22 offset or leave it 25. I love riding track, and a bike that corners, but I often find myself doing several desert trips throughout the year with my married friends on their ktm desert bikes.
Thanks again!
Yamaha is the most difficult from a comparability standpoint as the fork tube diameters are different and the stems are different depending on the year and model of the bike. The YZ250 uses the long stem, and it's the only one that has ever used the long stem. If you're getting clamps from a different model, you'll have to swap stems. Two strokes have a different fork tube clamp diameter up top than the four strokes do, so you'll have that to deal with too.
Regardless, I'd go to 22mm offset. The YZ250 was my personal bike for a few years and I've done back to back tests with 25 and 22mm offset. The 22mm is much better on the track and makes the bike corner easier. I mostly rode moto, but also rode a bit of desert with the 22mm clamps and didn't notice any real issues that would make me want to go back to 25mm.
We can set you up with clamps if you want to go that route, but if you're on a budget I'd stick to stock clamps. Depending on which forks you're running, you can find rubber mounted, 22mm offset, clamps from a 4 stroke that will either bolt right on or need a small bore change to the upper tubes. You'll need to swap stems, though. Blame Yamaha for all the confusion!
Pit Row
My goal is to get a set of your clamps. You can tell that some real ingenuity went into the design. Awesome work! However, I want to make sure I like the 22mm offset before going all in. I found a used set of 22mm ride engineering clamps for cheap in my area that I want to buy and try. They came off a 2017 yz250. Although, I noticed RE's website shows their yz clamps fitting 05-19. I am worried they didn't account for the change in size on the upper fork that you mentioned. I believe in 2015, right? . I called them and they were unaware of any change in the forks. Is it too small of a change for it to be an issue with fitment?
Have a few threads that go over the differnce.
Y’all still got that discount? 🤣
yep, it's just VITALMX
Great post. How is the topology design optimized? 🙃
I have a question about the bar mounts on the latest clamps for KTM. I see the mounts are listed as having a stock height of 21mm. KTM calls their stock mount 36mm. Are these equivalent or are the Luxon mounts 15mm lower than stock clamps+stock bar mounts on a 2023+ KTM?
Second question: I have a 2023 Gasgas Factory Edition right now with the factory split triple clamps and 6500 inserts. They are generally pretty compliant but pretty harsh on bigger hits (straight ahead step like bumps usually going up hills). I haven't tested stock clamps back to back on this bike, but I don't remember my '24 250xc doing this with stock clamps and spring fork (not 6500 inserts). Both are valved for XC racing and feel fairly similar in general. Is this something you would expect your clamps to help with?
Thanks!
Topology optimization is an automated structural simulation process where you input a block of material that can be there (e.g. a really big, solid triple clamp), all the loads the clamps will see (normal riding loads, assembly loads, crash loads, etc.), and goals and constraints (usually minimize weight subject to a strength constraint and stiffness targets). The optimization runs and reveals the most optimal material placement to satisfy everything. You can read a bit more about the process, with some images and videos, here:
https://www.luxonmx.com/technology.html
Post a reply to: Triple Clamp brands