Thomas Covington returning to US for 2019

For the people who didn’t watch the MX2 qualifying race (I guess there are a few), Covington confirmed in the post race interview he is heading back to race SX and outdoors next year.
|
Johnny Depp
6/9/2018 8:39am
Great news, the field is a bit depleted of riders with a good resume.
VasageXx
6/9/2018 9:24am
That’s good to hear I haven’t got to watch The qualifying race yet cause i’m At work but I like Thomas great dude, solid great rider even though this seasons been rough for him.
downard254
6/9/2018 9:33am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 9:37am
I’m on board with that. Curious if he finds similar success as Osborne. Maybe a one year leaning curve, then 2020 title contender. I hope he’s the replacement for ZO on Rockstar Husky. Seems he’d be a shoe in.
6/9/2018 9:35am
Podium, realistically top 5. Seems like a good guy...wish him the best.

The Shop

Ted722
6/9/2018 9:56am
What were his options coming out of Amateurs? Did he have any solid options in the US? His path might not have worked for everyone, but he'll be a seasoned Rookie on a coveted 250 ride going into the 2019 season. Wishing him great success. He's earned it.
6/9/2018 10:04am
Not sure about SX results but he should be great in the outdoors. Looking forward to it! He already has a fan in me.
Rodeojones
6/9/2018 10:11am
downard254 wrote:
I’m on board with that. Curious if he finds similar success as Osborne. Maybe a one year leaning curve, then 2020 title contender. I hope he’s...
I’m on board with that. Curious if he finds similar success as Osborne. Maybe a one year leaning curve, then 2020 title contender. I hope he’s the replacement for ZO on Rockstar Husky. Seems he’d be a shoe in.
He is taking Zach's spot as Osborne is moving to 450. Stoked for Covington....
roninho
6/9/2018 10:25am
I think it is a great move for him and for husky. I dont think he would have gotten a good ride in mxgp in 2 years, and do think he can challenge for a 250 title in the us in his 2nd/3rd year.

I would have stayed a year longer in europe but i guess this is a chance he doesnt want to miss out on.
6/9/2018 10:37am
Don't know how he'll do, but he's made a big fan out of me. I have a lot of respect for him going to Europe, leaving Dad's wing and riding for a competing brand, and making a name for himself on his merits and hard work. I find it easy to dislike spoiled kids, but he's gone the other way entirely.

I don't care if he comes back and sucks. He's made a fan out of me. I hope he's running up front indoors and out.
cbuehler767
6/9/2018 11:44am
Pretty limited SX experience correct? Hopefully he's patient and uses his first yr in SX to learn the ropes and lets it come to him. Make it through healthy and kill it outdoors. I wouldnt think he's gonna be expected to win indoors right off the rip
BR8ES
6/9/2018 11:46am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 11:47am
Will be bummed that one less American is running the GPs, but happy to have him back in the States and running wild here.
line-up
6/9/2018 1:42pm
https://www.mxlarge.com/news/thomas-covington-interview-going-home

When Thomas Covington crossed the finish line to win todays MX2 qualification race he couldn’t hold it in anymore. We had spoken to the American earlier in the year and he mentioned he might go back to America in 2019, but he hadn’t really made up his mind yet, well now he has, and the always smiling, and likeable Husqvarna factory rider is heading home.

Excited to finally be able to race his domestic championship, both in supercross and motocross has always been a dream, and no doubt, with a big family back on the east coast of America, he will enjoy being back with family and friends again.

Our man at the GP, David Bulmer caught up with him and talked about the big news and what it means having raced in the World Motocross Championship.

MXlarge: Thomas Covington, you won the qualification race, and then confirmed to the world that you are moving to America in 2019. Can you give your reason behind it?

Covington: Yes, I have been holding it in for a while now, and I couldn’t hold it in any longer, I just had to let it out. I am really excited to move back to the US, and with the best team over there I believe, with the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna factory team. It was difficult to pass up my last year in MX2, considering I had a decent chance of the title, but I couldn’t pass this opportunity and if I waited another year it would have maybe jeopardize it. It will be nice to be back home, because I have been away for a long time now. Going back to race all the kids I grew up racing.

MXlarge: Is it the case that you will step into Zach Osbornes ride and if you didn’t do it this year, you were not sure if there was something for you?

Covington: If I hadn’t taken it this year, it would have put both teams in Europe and America in a tight spot. It just worked out best to go after this season. I would have liked this season to be better, the first part. I just want to finish this season with some wins, and it might be the last time I race at some of these places. It gives me a lot of motivation and the team here is still 100% behind me and we are working hard to get back on track.

MXlarge: You mentioned you have been holding it in for a while, it must give a nice relief to tell people?

Covington: It wasn’t hard holding it in, but everyone is asking me what I am doing next year and there are rumors going around. Its that time of the year, but it is cool to let everyone know with some cool news. I think the level of the GPs has really stepped it up and it will be nice for the people back home to see me back there. I think supercross will be a challenge, but I think outdoors I will be really strong.

MXlarge: What can you do in order to get up to date on supercross? Does that start on October the 1st I guess?

Covington: Yes, I am 100% focused on the GPs until that last gate drops, and then I will fly back to the states and start riding supercross. It isn’t like I have never ridden supercross, I spent a lot of time on them when I was an amateur. Looking forward to getting back into that and a change will give me more motivation.

MXlarge: What has been the highlight for you in your Grand Prix career?

Covington: Probably my best moments are the wins, for sure the one in France just before the Nations. A lot of people were doubting me and asking why I was picked for the Nations, and it was nice to go out and win that one. Being in Europe, in France, and hearing the National anthem, that was just an insane feeling. Also, this year the second moto in Arco was one of the best motos of my life, with the Italian fans and stuff.

MXlarge: And what about the way you were treated at the Grand Prix, and would you tell a young American to come over and try it?

Covington: Its been amazing. Most people understand that I was 17 when I moved to Holland, and the GP paddock treated me like family right from the beginning. I was lucky to be around good people, like CLS my first team and also Jacky Martens team. I am really glad I did this, for the racing and the experience. My Facebook or other social media is full of American riders asking how they can get into the Grand Prix. Maybe if I don’t like America I will come back, its hard to leave here.

MXlarge: You came to Europe with no fan base here really. I guess going back to America you will probably have a lot of fans who have followed you over here. Would that be correct?

Covington: I think so, I feel like I have a lot of fans now and I am one of the only guys the American fans can pull for. It will be cool and a lot of the Europeans who have already said they will come and watch me at A1. I just hope I keep in contact with everyone at the GPs.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
6/9/2018 2:18pm
Convington is one guy that I believe could really be good with a trainer like Aldon.
He has the speed but not sure why is so up and down.
Sometimes he doesn't even have the speed to be in the top 5 and battling with guys that he beats by a minute on other days
mb60
6/9/2018 2:21pm
Good for him that he has a spot next year in America. But whatever he does he needs to get in shape. 1 good moto and 1 bad moto in Europe seems to be his history.
rutsmash
6/9/2018 3:11pm
He sure is not afraid to run up front and man, can he make that last lap pass for a win. Along with his speed, there is a lot to work with there.
downard254
6/10/2018 5:33am
And just like that, he wins his qualifying race this weekend.
6/10/2018 5:59am
Good for Thomas, he's a likeable character and I hope he does well - will be missed. Just hoping he can get through Supercross healthy, that of course is key.
ATKpilot99
6/10/2018 6:21am
I'd like to see him have one more go at it in MX2 but I can understand his decision.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/10/2018 8:22am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I'd like to see him have one more go at it in MX2 but I can understand his decision.
Believe he's about of MX2. With ZO and JMart moving out of 250s he'll be a contender for the 250 outdoor title if he makes it out of SX healthy.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/10/2018 8:25am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
early wrote:
Believe he's about of MX2. With ZO and JMart moving out of 250s he'll be a contender for the 250 outdoor title if he makes it...
Believe he's about of MX2. With ZO and JMart moving out of 250s he'll be a contender for the 250 outdoor title if he makes it out of SX healthy.
He could make one more run at it, he hasn't aged out yet. But as the interview states and Thomas mentioned to me last year when the idea came up, it works out well contract-wise to come back for 2019. If he waits one more year, there's no guarantee the US team would have a spot for him.
Bry145
6/10/2018 8:26am
When Johnny O' was coaching Covington I talked to him for a few minutes at a Loretta qualifier. Half an hour later O Show was cheering for me on the side of the track. I thought that was very cool and is one of my favorite moto memories!

Motofinne
6/10/2018 1:54pm
Ted722 wrote:
What were his options coming out of Amateurs? Did he have any solid options in the US? His path might not have worked for everyone, but...
What were his options coming out of Amateurs? Did he have any solid options in the US? His path might not have worked for everyone, but he'll be a seasoned Rookie on a coveted 250 ride going into the 2019 season. Wishing him great success. He's earned it.
He had a deal with PC on the table.
philG
6/10/2018 2:16pm
Covington is making a smart move, because Paulin and Anstie have the 450 rides locked up and he isnt good enough to displace any of the other teams riders either, and with Jonass moving up too, thats another seat that needs filled.

Meanwhile he will jump into a full factory 250 ride with no age limit , and has the chance to do an Osborne , and spend another 5 years on a 250.
Bry145
6/11/2018 2:00am
The age rule is stupid.

However, it makes perfect sense for 250SX as it would nudge experienced racers out of the class and make room for rookies. Over 25 and you are in the 450 class.

RG1
6/11/2018 2:29am
Bry145 wrote:
The age rule is stupid. However, it makes perfect sense for 250SX as it would nudge experienced racers out of the class and make room for...
The age rule is stupid.

However, it makes perfect sense for 250SX as it would nudge experienced racers out of the class and make room for rookies. Over 25 and you are in the 450 class.

The age rule is stupid, but it makes perfect sense?
Jefro98
6/11/2018 3:32am
philG wrote:
Covington is making a smart move, because Paulin and Anstie have the 450 rides locked up and he isnt good enough to displace any of the...
Covington is making a smart move, because Paulin and Anstie have the 450 rides locked up and he isnt good enough to displace any of the other teams riders either, and with Jonass moving up too, thats another seat that needs filled.

Meanwhile he will jump into a full factory 250 ride with no age limit , and has the chance to do an Osborne , and spend another 5 years on a 250.
Husky 450 rides locked up?
Paulin was contracted for 2017 and 2018.
Anstie did a 3 year deal: 2016 in MX2, 2017/2018 in MXGP.
Did they extend yet?

roninho
6/11/2018 4:13am
philG wrote:
Covington is making a smart move, because Paulin and Anstie have the 450 rides locked up and he isnt good enough to displace any of the...

'spend another 5 years on a 250''.

Imo a better wording would be: 'have a good paying job for the next 5 years in mx'. I don't think Covington would have a good paying ride in mxgp after 2019. Great move for him.

agn5009
6/11/2018 5:37am
philG wrote:

roninho wrote:
'spend another 5 years on a 250''. Imo a better wording would be: 'have a good paying job for the next 5 years in mx'. I...
'spend another 5 years on a 250''.

Imo a better wording would be: 'have a good paying job for the next 5 years in mx'. I don't think Covington would have a good paying ride in mxgp after 2019. Great move for him.

Depends how he did. If he had stayed and finished top 3 oberall and got a couple wins in MX2 in 2019 I don't see how he wouldn't have a decent ride. All of that would have been very probable.

Post a reply to: Thomas Covington returning to US for 2019

The Latest