Thomas Covington

jk367
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 5:24am
Just wondering how he has been doing since he left the states? After a quick search on Mxgp results it didn’t look good. Seems like a great kid and I hope he finds his former speed
|
bowl
8/7/2020 7:13pm
British MX Nat round 1
ron36
8/8/2020 12:21am
He raced al international race in Arnhem and get a 22 and 15 result.
His speed is far off the top mxgp riders, he get past by some local hero's.
Very sorry to see. He was very strong and impressive in his mx2 time in the world championship.
But he still doesn't seem to be getting in shape now.
Motofinne
8/8/2020 12:33am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2020 9:41am
It's a disaster. The decline from the level he was on the last year in MX2 to this is crazy.

I doubt that he'll get a ride for next year in GPs because he will struggle to score points if this continues. And nothing indicates that it wouldn't continue like this. There was hope that he could find speed/fitness or whatever he's missing during the corona break but it doesn't seem like anything has changed.
SwapperMX
8/8/2020 12:42am
Surely he has way too much talent to now be washed up and slow. Is he hurt. Bike no good ??

The Shop

Snapper
8/8/2020 3:06am
I can see him racing in the UK only next year on a 250 team...
jk367
8/8/2020 8:42pm
SwapperMX wrote:
Surely he has way too much talent to now be washed up and slow. Is he hurt. Bike no good ??
I feel the same. There has to be an explanation. He was incredibly fast all his years in mx2 especially his last year. I honestly thought he was gonna be a title threat outdoors when he came here. Really hope he figures it out. Go get em tom, you’re still the man
bsharkey
8/9/2020 12:29am
He looked horrible in the US. I thought maybe he might do what Zach did but he could barely qualify. I don't see him.doing any differently over there. Not sure what happened

raa360
8/9/2020 12:33am

He got screwed with the age limit in mx2gp and the illness /injury during his supercross season never gave him a chance to establish himself stateside.
When it all comes together the confidence in knowing you can win makes it easy, when it doesn't happen its hard to make it all work, especially coming from injury, moving to new bikes, team, way of working etc.

Would be interesting to see if he got his mojo back on a different bike.? Maybe the yzf isn't best suited to him or his riding style..? He's a smaller guy in the mxgp class and the yzf seems like a 'big' bike.

He could maybe fit into a team like RFX/PAR Husqvarna or Milwaukee KTM in the uk. still able to do Gp's, a uk team close to home and maybe an option of a 350.. ?
raa360
8/9/2020 1:19am
RudyRayMo wrote:
Wasn’t he on kawis his am career?
He rode for CLS Kawasaki in his early mx2gp career and guess he was on a kawi in his am career in the states.
Bearuno
8/9/2020 2:02am
raa360 wrote:
He got screwed with the age limit in mx2gp and the illness /injury during his supercross season never gave him a chance to establish himself stateside...

He got screwed with the age limit in mx2gp and the illness /injury during his supercross season never gave him a chance to establish himself stateside.
When it all comes together the confidence in knowing you can win makes it easy, when it doesn't happen its hard to make it all work, especially coming from injury, moving to new bikes, team, way of working etc.

Would be interesting to see if he got his mojo back on a different bike.? Maybe the yzf isn't best suited to him or his riding style..? He's a smaller guy in the mxgp class and the yzf seems like a 'big' bike.

He could maybe fit into a team like RFX/PAR Husqvarna or Milwaukee KTM in the uk. still able to do Gp's, a uk team close to home and maybe an option of a 350.. ?
He did not get screwed by that utterly dreadful MX2 'age out rule'.

He could have done another year in MX2, but, went back to the USA.

He made his choice - sort of understandable, in that he got a much coveted PC ride.

I never thought he'd win the MX2 Championships, and, the USA, without an age out rule, could have given him quite a few years in the 250s, before he went to 450s. But, illness / injury, stuffed that up for him. It worked out for Zacho - going back to the US instead of the forced move into 450s - who stayed in the 250s, until he was , I think, 28. That got him a hell of a lot of success, those extra years, which was brilliant to see.

I hope Thomas can get it together, but I really don't think he's got a snowballs hope in hell in the MXGP class.

At some stage, his Monster 'In', through his Dad, is going to run out, if he doesn't improve, rapidly.
8/9/2020 2:05am
bsharkey wrote:
He looked horrible in the US. I thought maybe he might do what Zach did but he could barely qualify. I don't see him.doing any differently...
He looked horrible in the US. I thought maybe he might do what Zach did but he could barely qualify. I don't see him.doing any differently over there. Not sure what happened

not true , he qualified and finished top 10 in his very fisrt SX race ever , that was pretty good
next week he crashed and injured and then EBV and he was done and he hasnt been the same Covington ever again
looks like this could be his last season as a pro , or who knows he starts improving ..Sanayei had EBV and he struggled big time but is now back with Kawi and Mitch ... but something has to happen this season with Thomas
RudyRayMo
8/9/2020 9:28am
raa360 wrote:
He rode for CLS Kawasaki in his early mx2gp career and guess he was on a kawi in his am career in the states.
He was the king of the south for awhile, I stayed away from any track he raced lol. I think he was born in Alabama. We never had any notable pros outside of Clark Stiles, or Chad Ward.
8/9/2020 1:33pm
Bearuno wrote:
He [u]did not [/u] get screwed by that utterly dreadful MX2 'age out rule'. He could have done another year in MX2, but, went back to...

He made his choice - sort of understandable, in that he got a much coveted PC ride.

I never thought he'd win the MX2 Championships, and, the USA, without an age out rule, could have given him quite a few years in the 250s, before he went to 450s. But, illness / injury, stuffed that up for him. It worked out for Zacho - going back to the US instead of the forced move into 450s - who stayed in the 250s, until he was , I think, 28. That got him a hell of a lot of success, those extra years, which was brilliant to see.

I hope Thomas can get it together, but I really don't think he's got a snowballs hope in hell in the MXGP class.

At some stage, his Monster 'In', through his Dad, is going to run out, if he doesn't improve, rapidly.
Covington's US ride was Rockstar Husky.
gsxr6
8/9/2020 2:21pm
Bearuno wrote:
He [u]did not [/u] get screwed by that utterly dreadful MX2 'age out rule'. He could have done another year in MX2, but, went back to...

Shh your messing up the only got a ride because of monster connection.....
slumpstone
8/9/2020 3:02pm
Obviously doing the best he can, what did you do today?
Brent
8/9/2020 3:18pm
...something has to be wrong with Thomas Covington.

EVEN if he is completely out of shape, he is a multiple GP winner and he has the speed. If he is totally out of shape he should be able to turn at least one or two hot laps, if Im not mistaken he qualified almost dead last.

Either he doesn't care about winning any longer or he has an injury that prevents him from going as fast as he is capable.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
8/9/2020 5:01pm
raa360 wrote:
He got screwed with the age limit in mx2gp and the illness /injury during his supercross season never gave him a chance to establish himself stateside...

Bearuno wrote:

I wonder if his Dad's IN was pissed or knew he rode for Rockstar?
Natester551v
8/9/2020 6:43pm
Bearuno wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
This interview makes me a little bit ill. When I read this interview I have one main feeling: "Does he care?"
He seems pretty content just being there.
...maybe he's just over all of the sacrifice it takes to be near the front. His Monster connection will probably sustain him for a while, but I'd be shocked if he was in the paddock next year.

It'd be much better for him to come out and just say what's up (confidence? Illness? Doesn't care?). I don't believe I've ever seen a rider go from winning and fighting for podiums to finishing 31st in just a couple of seasons....
RalphS
8/9/2020 7:08pm
Bearuno wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
This interview makes me a little bit ill. When I read this interview I have one main feeling: "Does he care?"
He seems pretty content just being there. ...maybe he's just over all of the sacrifice it takes to be near the front. His Monster connection will...
...maybe he's just over all of the sacrifice it takes to be near the front. His Monster connection will probably sustain him for a while, but I'd be shocked if he was in the paddock next year.

It'd be much better for him to come out and just say what's up (confidence? Illness? Doesn't care?). I don't believe I've ever seen a rider go from winning and fighting for podiums to finishing 31st in just a couple of seasons....
Nick it easy
roninho
8/9/2020 9:04pm
Bearuno wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
He seems pretty content just being there. ...maybe he's just over all of the sacrifice it takes to be near the front. His Monster connection will...

As long as he brings a check he'll have a ride at a small team. If he can get back to his best level he'll have a ride foryears at a semi factory team for yeaes. He is far from the level he used to have, which was certainly comparable to Vlaanderen who was close to top 10 yesterday.

I do hope he gets back to his old form, this is painfull to watch.
Bearuno
8/9/2020 11:31pm
Well, he's got the Green Claw on his Helmet, boys.

So often, people here go on about 'bought' rides in MXGP. How much money his Monster connections bring to GVR Team, I wonder?

It's the Monster MXGP series. He's got Monster backing. It, his Monster connection, sure has not hurt his career in Motocross. He's a lucky, well 'connected' and a Quite Talented young man. He might want to put his Guitar aside a bit more, and attend to his riding, at this point in time, I would hazard to say.

As a side note: I've always found how KTM / KTHusky can wrangle their seeming conflicting sponsorship deals with Red Bull and RockStar, quite impressive. A juggling trick that is fascinating. Perhaps they are somehow connected, but my (admittedly cursory) searches on ownership of either, hasn't shown them to be part of one big conglomerate.
Bidirella
8/10/2020 12:37am
I know it’s really easy to say and allot harder to get done..

I should be knocking on the door of former teamboss Jacky Martens of JM Honda. Their guy retired last week (Lieber) so they got a spot to Fill for next year. They are working with Roelants as their trainer. Those people made Thomas a GP winner a few years ago.

Should be homecoming for him and his best shot to get his career back alive.

With all respect to him and the Gebben Yamaha team. This is simply not gonna work. They got a pre season and then a really long break to get this sorted but there is still no progress or solution.

RalphS
8/10/2020 1:25am
Bearuno wrote:
Well, he's got the Green Claw on his Helmet, boys. So often, people here go on about 'bought' rides in MXGP. How much money his Monster...

So often, people here go on about 'bought' rides in MXGP. How much money his Monster connections bring to GVR Team, I wonder?

It's the Monster MXGP series. He's got Monster backing. It, his Monster connection, sure has not hurt his career in Motocross. He's a lucky, well 'connected' and a Quite Talented young man. He might want to put his Guitar aside a bit more, and attend to his riding, at this point in time, I would hazard to say.

As a side note: I've always found how KTM / KTHusky can wrangle their seeming conflicting sponsorship deals with Red Bull and RockStar, quite impressive. A juggling trick that is fascinating. Perhaps they are somehow connected, but my (admittedly cursory) searches on ownership of either, hasn't shown them to be part of one big conglomerate.
RedBull as always been Austria's RedBull and as this year Rockstar is Pespsi. Rockstar market share was nothing compared to RedBull in the US let alone worldwide where RedBull still rules, RedBull's competition has always been Monster.

Now that Rockstar has PepsiCo distribution etc, I'd expect some rubbing is racing. That being said both benefit from Pierer Mobility top-notch bikes and programs and would likely keep doing so. I could eventually see Rockstar going somewhere else but I just cannot see that from RB.
roninho
8/10/2020 1:26am
Bidirella, from your post it seems like Gebben is at fault, but they seem to be able to provide Vlaanderen the support to be very competitive. So not sure what they can do in this.
RalphS
8/10/2020 1:38am
Bearuno wrote:
Well, he's got the Green Claw on his Helmet, boys. So often, people here go on about 'bought' rides in MXGP. How much money his Monster...

RedBull as always been Austria's RedBull and as this year Rockstar is Pespsi. Rockstar market share was nothing compared to RedBull in the US let alone worldwide where RedBull still rules, RedBull's competition has always been Monster.

Now that Rockstar has PepsiCo distribution etc, I'd expect some rubbing is racing. That being said both benefit from Pierer Mobility top-notch bikes and programs and would likely keep doing so. I could eventually see Rockstar going somewhere else but I just cannot see that from RB.
bowl
8/10/2020 1:51am
Bearuno wrote:
MXMattii wrote:

Valentin guillod vg92 seems fairly similar.
250 race winner to...
Bidirella
8/10/2020 2:20am
roninho wrote:
Bidirella, from your post it seems like Gebben is at fault, but they seem to be able to provide Vlaanderen the support to be very competitive...
Bidirella, from your post it seems like Gebben is at fault, but they seem to be able to provide Vlaanderen the support to be very competitive. So not sure what they can do in this.
Im sorry you read it like that, but I’m also not believe Gebben is at fault in this.

About the JM team it’s just because he has worked and got great succes with those people. Should give him confidence... Not the mean by JM Honda VS Gebben. You can have good rides at both bikes look at Paturel and Vlaanderen.

And with the point that it’s not working, I think everyone agrees with that. Its that on Thomas? Is that on the team? On both? That’s something we might never get to know. Vlaanderen improved big time over the COVID break why Thomas not?

I agree with you what can they do on this? There are allot of races coming in a short period.. This week isn’t gonna do any good for his mental game.

Post a reply to: Thomas Covington

The Latest