Spec Tires

phatfi20
5/15/2018 9:03am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 10:55pm
Keefer was talking about riding "spec tires" which are tires not available to the public that the pros run. They look the same as production tires but are built purely for performance with softer compound and are trash after one moto.

Anyone else have an opportunity to try these out? Tell us what you think.

Places 1-20 at a national are likely using them but are they made available for the 20-40 place guys with tire support also?
|
BobPA
5/15/2018 9:08am
A "spec tire" is actually a tire that everyone would be required to run...
5/15/2018 9:49am
There aren't many, if any 20-40th place guys getting spec tires. Privateers aren't offered spec tires from my experience, granted I have always been on the later half of the spectrum lol.
mx317
5/15/2018 10:19am
BobPA wrote:
Yes but for whatever reason "works tires" are called spec tires. Go figure.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
5/15/2018 10:24am
BobPA wrote:
mx317 wrote:
So let's continue down the same confusing patch. Wink

The Shop

smit9722
5/15/2018 11:09am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 11:09am
I've run some and the difference between a normal tire is pretty big in every aspect. A good privateer will have access to them as I just used my buddies take offs after the nationals one year.
5/15/2018 2:47pm
Dunlop does some things "right" to sew up the US market

If you place in the main the week before of sx - either class - generally you can get free spec tires. For sure if 450 main.
This doesn't mean you get the same tire some teams do - they often have a specific spec tire for just them...

In MX outdoors - it's much more wishy washy. Generally if you consistently get points but not a factory guy - maybe free tires.

But the reality is not everyone would WANT the same tires the team guys have. Some of us joe blows would think they are too stiff - and couldn't get them to load properly for best grip.

However compounds for SX can be much less life - but better grip - in outdoors I think the shelf tire isnt far off what they run compound wise.

This is just my limited experience - it's also political. Some riders work it better than others!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
769th
5/15/2018 3:06pm
BobPA wrote:
mx317 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Doesn't that kind of fall under the works bike rule though?

A specially designed tire only available to a few? I'm sure a lot of guys trying to qualify couldn't get their hands on some of those tires which puts them at a disadvantage, right?
ML512
Fantasy
32nd
5/15/2018 3:10pm
mx317 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Doesn't that kind of fall under the works bike rule though? A specially designed tire only available to a few? I'm sure a lot of guys...
Doesn't that kind of fall under the works bike rule though?

A specially designed tire only available to a few? I'm sure a lot of guys trying to qualify couldn't get their hands on some of those tires which puts them at a disadvantage, right?
I asked Broc Glover about this: https://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/First-Look-Dunlop-MX33,39408/Sl…

I think the last two slides cover it.
loftyair
5/15/2018 5:41pm
I know a guy who came across one. It was used for 2 motos already. This guy is real fast, but not factory. Anyway, he put this used tire on, and said its the best tire he has ever used, by a long shot, and was only in mediocre condition. He used it for a couple weeks, until even a weekend beginner would have taken it off, saying it was 'still' better than a brand new non spec tire.
Jrewing
5/15/2018 6:30pm
loftyair wrote:
I know a guy who came across one. It was used for 2 motos already. This guy is real fast, but not factory. Anyway, he put...
I know a guy who came across one. It was used for 2 motos already. This guy is real fast, but not factory. Anyway, he put this used tire on, and said its the best tire he has ever used, by a long shot, and was only in mediocre condition. He used it for a couple weeks, until even a weekend beginner would have taken it off, saying it was 'still' better than a brand new non spec tire.
Exactly what I did but I'm not real fast, nor just fast! But it was a few motos ridden and I wacked it in and it was way better
crc245
5/15/2018 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 9:35pm
loftyair wrote:
I know a guy who came across one. It was used for 2 motos already. This guy is real fast, but not factory. Anyway, he put...
Had the same experience; Ran this one forever, and it outperformed anything I could have purchased at the shop (even in this condition)...

Really wish Dunlop would bring back the RR program - They worked great for important races, at the expense of durability, of course.
jbrown15
5/15/2018 10:50pm
Isn't that what the new Hoosier tires are, spec tires available to the public. But I believe they are going to be pricey.
make1go
5/15/2018 10:55pm
been wanting to start a thread on this, kinda been swept under the grass mats for years

hope we can garner more info from those who know and can "let the cat out of the bag" in this 'secret society'..

Post a reply to: Spec Tires

The Latest