Respect to the GP Riders

Tony_Wright
Much respect to their abilities on the track but also the fact that the top guys speak more than one language. I guess they all speak English as well as their native language. I’ve always wanted to be able to speak multiple languages but at this point haven’t put forth the effort.
|
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
9/8/2020 3:19pm
I was telling my wife something similar the other day. How many guys on the national gate speak another language?
FerCzD
9/8/2020 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 4:21pm
To be fair on the american people, there's no reason to learn a new language when your native tongue is the standard for pretty much everything in the world: business, finance, development, music, etc. I guess that the earn right as the leading country in the globe and capitalism.

Seriously there's no other language that will open more doors to you than English, the other one I can think of is german.

karsmakers
9/8/2020 4:17pm
When your back to back world war champs everyone has to learn your language. I'm just joking!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/8/2020 4:46pm
There are a lot of countries jammed together in Europe; it helps to be able to understand other languages.
Here, it doesn't help us as much. That, and we're self-centered egomaniacs. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

The Shop

Trevor91
9/8/2020 4:49pm
karsmakers wrote:
When your back to back world war champs everyone has to learn your language. I'm just joking!
'MERICA
FerCzD
9/8/2020 4:54pm
karsmakers wrote:
In war there are no winners, only survivors. War doesn't determine who's right, it determines who's left.

It that regard Russia takes most of the credit on the fight against fascism. What they did after is other topic..
9/8/2020 4:55pm
Growing up in the 80s, the Americans pretty much ruled motocross. So I sorta had a biased view about the GP riders. Looking back, I realize how wrong I was, and how fast they were. Thorpe smoked Bailey at the 85 Des Nations, and going back and watching the races, the GP guys were right there, very close speed wise.

Today, the tables have turned and the GP racers have honed their craft and are masters at the outdoors. To me, there is nothing as cool as watching Herlings rail through the sand. It's quite special, actually. But I get what you are saying. The whole scene with different countries, a rich history in motocross, and different languages is pretty awesome.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
9/8/2020 4:56pm
My grand kids six and three years old are of course speaking English but their mom also teaches them Spanish and grandma teaches them French and German,I have no idea what they are saying sometimes. I get goodnight grandpa in four languages at bed time. Blink
ATKpilot99
9/8/2020 5:13pm
Back when I was in high school foreign language classes were elective so being the slacker that I was I never bothered . Anyway most people I know that did take any of those classes never really learned to speak fluently in them anyway. I'd like to learn Spanish but I haven't gotten past the thinking about it stage, haha.
9/8/2020 10:18pm
I speak 4 languages, not totally fluent. Dutch language is a struggle. It,s fun to learn another language. Just start with 1 word. Konbonwa- good evening in Japanese. Konbonwa my friend, to your Japanese friend. Now they will think your less self centered and less of a dick
9/8/2020 11:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2020 11:57pm
I'm not sure how it is for other European countries but in Belgium you learn French and English from a rather young age (being from the Flemish - Dutch part that is). We're also exposed to allot of english language media anyway so most kids learn it pretty automatically these days, atleast in the benelux region.

But yeah the landscape here is totally different than USA, we have some countries with their own languages and cultural differences that are smaller than most USA states all next to eachother.
roninho
9/9/2020 12:19am
Yeah in the Netherlands its the same. Dutch is our main language, and when you start "highshool" everyone has to take on English, and 2 other foreign languages. The standard is German and French, but you can replace one of them with Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Italian or Turkish.
Not sure how many years you have to take them nowadays, but back in my day i had 6 years of English and German, and 1 year of French.
25 years later i can still follow German radio or TV, but have a hard time speaking it. I couldn't buy a croissant in France.
9/9/2020 12:32am
I'm not sure how it is for other European countries but in Belgium you learn French and English from a rather young age (being from the...
I'm not sure how it is for other European countries but in Belgium you learn French and English from a rather young age (being from the Flemish - Dutch part that is). We're also exposed to allot of english language media anyway so most kids learn it pretty automatically these days, atleast in the benelux region.

But yeah the landscape here is totally different than USA, we have some countries with their own languages and cultural differences that are smaller than most USA states all next to eachother.
Back in the 70s when there was less media, Italian friends told me quite seriously that the main driver for Italian kids to learn English was so they could understand Beatles lyrics.
teamddr
9/9/2020 2:40am
Is í an Ghaeilge an teanga is fearr

Dia dhaoibh
9/9/2020 3:09am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2020 3:30am
Theres two types of people I dislike; People intolerant of other people's cultures, and the dutch.
haha lullo Tongue funny thing is , the dutch are known to be one of the most tolerant people for other cultures in the world
in Amsterdam live 180 nationalities , thats most in the world in 1 city
Aryen
9/9/2020 5:42am
Theres two types of people I dislike; People intolerant of other people's cultures, and the dutch.
Haha, had an actual lol there, and that’s coming from a Dutch guy.
9/9/2020 7:47am
Mugeneco wrote:
haha lullo :P funny thing is , the dutch are known to be one of the most tolerant people for other cultures in the world in...
haha lullo Tongue funny thing is , the dutch are known to be one of the most tolerant people for other cultures in the world
Everyone in the world knows that, but Cris- domkop Knul- dunce boy. My Mother is from Holland, after the war they moved to America. They snuck American solders in to feed them and let them sleep in the house .Grandpa was was pow in a nazi camp. Non of us never said a bad word about Germans ever.
lestat
9/9/2020 8:21am
Mugeneco wrote:
haha lullo :P funny thing is , the dutch are known to be one of the most tolerant people for other cultures in the world in...
I would think that NYC could give them a run for their money . Walk around Manhattan for an hour and you will hear ten different languages .
9/9/2020 8:48am
Who's giving this a thumbs down? Go watch Austin Powers you uncultured swine
cappelmans
9/9/2020 1:16pm
What is the other type you dislike?
9/9/2020 1:38pm
Mugeneco wrote:
lestat wrote:
I would think that NYC could give them a run for their money . Walk around Manhattan for an hour and you will hear ten different...
I would think that NYC could give them a run for their money . Walk around Manhattan for an hour and you will hear ten different languages .
Yeah NYC has a lot also. I,ve been there a lot trucking, 500 buck bonus for delivering. City’s original name is New Amsterdam, Dutch people designed the 5 boroughs. Along with many city’s in America, where ever there is a lot of water. Genius at engineering. North of Toronto, New market was a swamp, Dutch turned it into great farm land. That is where you get your tomatoes. Ps I thought Cris was quoting Austin powers, haha. I just quoted that movie talking to someone.
Cortami79
9/10/2020 11:23pm
Haha come on! We’re not too bad

Post a reply to: Respect to the GP Riders

The Latest