Professional Pilots Racing Moto

3/8/2019 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 9:16am
Are there any guys on here that fly for a living? I recently finished my instrument rating and should have my commercial rating by the end of summer. I’m getting to the point where I don’t want to keep racing in fear of getting a head injury and loosing my medical. I’m curious to hear if there are any guys that have been flying for a while and still feel like dirt bikes are worth the risk.
|
zehn
3/8/2019 2:06pm
Funny, my dad always wanted to be a pilot but he thought that the tendencies that racers typically have (risk takers, adrenaline junkies, etc.) are the kind of tendencies that get you killed as a pilot.

Sorry I've got nothing constructive to add
cameron96
3/8/2019 2:09pm
I have a 172xp if that counts

I think Barcia has a 182 he flies. He has his Private as well
home skillet
3/8/2019 2:11pm
I used to fly for a living and ride dirt bikes, but I don't do either anymore. I'm self employed and just can't afford the risk anymore with the way Healthcare is in this country. When I used to live overseas I never gave it a 2nd thought, just can't risk my family's future and my own.
alien
3/8/2019 3:32pm
I know of two airline pilots that race. A Delta pilot with 28 years service and an Endeavor pilot with about the same time. Both approaching mandatory retirement but still love moto.

The Shop

3/8/2019 3:47pm
I'm not current anymore but I have the same medical as an Air Traffic Controller. I think about the possibilities so I buy the best protective gear I can. I could quit but I know I wouldn't be happy so I try to minimise risk as much as I can and just live my life.
CMcBain
3/8/2019 4:16pm
I fly commercially and ride as much as I can. Theres a few guys at my airline that ride as well. I haven't raced in years as I like to stay within my limits. I'm thinking about getting back into doing some hare scrambles at some point or some vet Moto. As you say any injuries can affect your ability to work. I'm considering loss of license insurance to soften the blow if I ever got forced out of the business. I live in Canada so medical stuff is not as much of an issue. However, it can take a long time to get stuff done. I'm not giving it up but I'm not doing huge triples either, I'm mostly riding turn tracks and woods. I recently got into a bit of trials riding with some buddies and its a lot of fun and can be a lot lower risk than crashing 4th gear tapped out. My knees are garbage and I've been forced off work before. Its not great but I still can't give up riding!

All this being said you can get a head injury doing anything. An old coworker has been off work for years after standing up under a metal deck and smashing his head at work. This wasn't an aviation related job either. Shit happens.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
3/8/2019 4:16pm
I used to fly for a living and ride dirt bikes, but I don't do either anymore. I'm self employed and just can't afford the risk...
I used to fly for a living and ride dirt bikes, but I don't do either anymore. I'm self employed and just can't afford the risk anymore with the way Healthcare is in this country. When I used to live overseas I never gave it a 2nd thought, just can't risk my family's future and my own.
Fortunately/unfortunately I’ve found myself in the same boat. Minus the flying for a living part.
Xeno
3/8/2019 4:17pm
I just finished a bike build for a military fighter jet pilot who is racing the NORRA 1000 in April.
Need for Speed, anyone Laughing
3/9/2019 8:24am
It’s good to hear there are some longtime airline guys that are still riding! I feel like the racing will probably start to come to an end pretty soon but hopefully I can keep riding for a long time!
Mr. Info
3/9/2019 8:27am
I know a friend who is a commercial pilot and races as well. In fact last year he raced the Farligh Castle Vet Race. I don’t know if I can say his name so I won’t but he is fast. I don’t know what he company rules say about racing.
Stevo227
3/9/2019 8:32am
I am currently flying as a commercial airline pilot. Ive been flying since 2010 and flying as an airline pilot the past 3 years. Ive always rode quite a bit when I had time in school and even more after graduating and getting hired at the airlines. I was fortunate enough to obtain my Pro Card this past year and look forward to riding a few nationals in 2019. I doubt I have a shot at qualifying, but its always been a goal and happy I'll finally be able to check that box along with possibly attending LL. So to answer your question about the medical/riding, you most defiantly can keep riding, but also pursue an aviation career. Yes, you have the risk of possibly hitting your head and having medical issues, but I'm a firm believer in doing what you love throughout your life. My passion is Moto so I see no reason to ever stop. I couldn't live with myself if I quit riding, and looked back, at 60yrs old realizing what I missed out on. If your truly passionate about riding then I would not stop. Just my 2 cents. If you have any questions about flying etc.. feel free to message me.
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
3/9/2019 8:37am
Good luck. I hear races are during the time of the week called a weekend. No idea what a weekend Is but I know I don’t get them.
bigk218
Fantasy
3130th
3/9/2019 8:46am
Are there any guys on here that fly for a living? I recently finished my instrument rating and should have my commercial rating by the end...
Are there any guys on here that fly for a living? I recently finished my instrument rating and should have my commercial rating by the end of summer. I’m getting to the point where I don’t want to keep racing in fear of getting a head injury and loosing my medical. I’m curious to hear if there are any guys that have been flying for a while and still feel like dirt bikes are worth the risk.
The time to get into aviation is NOW. especially the airline side. If I were you I would temporarily put riding on hold until you get all your hours and ratings. Not saying you cant have a life outside of flying but....

Eat aviation, S@“$ Aviation, sleep aviation, and the rest of DV’quote.

Once you get where you want to go then by all means.
Stevo227
3/9/2019 9:10am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2019 9:11am
bigk218 wrote:
Good luck. I hear races are during the time of the week called a weekend. No idea what a weekend Is but I know I don’t...
Good luck. I hear races are during the time of the week called a weekend. No idea what a weekend Is but I know I don’t get them.
I hear that! Seniority is everything in aviation. I didn't know what the weekend was my first year at the airlines. I may be switching airlines towards the end of this year and to the bottom I go again Sad .. Good bye race weekends.

Thank you btw
3/9/2019 9:34am
Mr. Info wrote:
I know a friend who is a commercial pilot and races as well. In fact last year he raced the Farligh Castle Vet Race. I don’t...
I know a friend who is a commercial pilot and races as well. In fact last year he raced the Farligh Castle Vet Race. I don’t know if I can say his name so I won’t but he is fast. I don’t know what he company rules say about racing.
Not only fast but a real nice guy too. Always welcome over here.
atrdrvr7
3/9/2019 11:05am
I fly for a living (airlines). Just ride practice for fun now with my son. The injury side of it does weigh on my mind at times. I just try to ride within my limits and try to limit some of the risk. Don’t think I will give it up anytime soon. Don’t know what could possibly fill the void.
face biter
3/9/2019 11:36am
I quit racing at 17 and stopped riding at age 25 to do exactly what bigk218 said, it worked out pretty well!
I’m back riding now with no intentions of racing, but I am having a blast! It is pretty nice having a lot better safety equipment than I ever had as a youngster, as well as a lot more cognitive approach to riding than I did back then.
CMcBain
3/9/2019 11:41am
If you are serious about your career you may have to give up riding for a while like I did. Lets face it, if you're not independently wealthy it's expensive training and you are not going to be making virtually ANY money the first few years. Plus you are probably going to be moving a lot! I didn't really ride for 3 years when I started partly due to funds and mainly because you literally have to do as the previous poster and DV says eat, sh*t, sleep....aviation. My first 6 years flying as a job I was working seasonally flying floats basically 6 months straight in the summers with one day off a week. In the winter I would have to find something else to do to pay the bills. Its a grind but it pays off eventually especially if you can work in the states $$$$. I'm now working for an airline and I got super lucky and got hired into a brand new pilot base, so I can get most days off I want. That being said its still pretty unpredictable.

Good luck!
pilotdude
3/9/2019 12:19pm
Depends on how important it is to you. It's pretty important to me, and at age 52, I still ride and race and have been an airline pilot for 14 years.
Patar57
3/9/2019 12:24pm
As a current CFI working my way to 1500 hrs. I can attest that it is very difficult to make a good enough living to even afford racing. Also I’ve found that the days I get off work aren’t exactly the days that are ideal for riding. But on the plus side I definitely get an adrenaline spike everyday at work, that I used to only get on the bike.
twnorton
3/9/2019 1:05pm
Atc here.
faster48
3/9/2019 1:47pm
I’m a private with no interest in flying pro (have a very successful career I’m happy with) but I have several friends that are either military or airline pilots. Our core group of moto buddies includes 4 pilots. One of these guys has an amazing collection of warbirds.
I’ve been told by a fighter pilot friend that in a military survey they discovered that the no 1 thing most fighter pilots had in common was growing up riding dirt scooters. The hand/eye coordination has a certain amount of crossover.
Gworm
3/9/2019 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2019 3:17pm
I’ve flown Corporate for the last 17 years. I had quit racing in 85 to raise a family, and started riding again around 06. Started out just practice days, then raced an over 40 and decided it was as safe as practice. At least you’re not out there with a bunch of guys that don’t have to go to work the next day.

As far as your medical, I’ve probably got a slight chance of losing it from getting injured, and a 100% chance of losing it to high blood pressure or diabetes if I didn’t ride to keep active.

I’m not disciplined enough to just work out, and if I can, I’d love to fly another 16 years!!
Gworm
3/9/2019 3:26pm
Also, to show the difference between corporate and Airline flying, look at my avatar showing we are at 510. Airliners can’t get near that high, as their wallets are too heavy.
atrdrvr7
3/9/2019 3:42pm
Your Biz jet have one of these? My airliner doesSmile
Gworm
3/9/2019 3:44pm
Prob more cubic ft there than in my whole plane.
DC98
3/9/2019 4:04pm
I am a A&P ( same job for 38yrs) and a private pilot ( I have had my license for 40yrs ) and never had any interest in flying for a living. Where I work there are two pilots that ride and race and at least three more that just ride for fun.
FatOldGuy823
3/15/2019 7:49am
This is a funny topic, I was a Motocross nut when I was young, and at 17 had an injury that made me re-think my priorities. I got married at 19 and sold all the toys. Wife, kid on the way, mortgage, no life insurance, no living will & trust, you get the idea. At 25 I started my own business, and at 28 I got my private pilot license, using the excuse with my wife that I would be home more often. Well in order to make good on that promise, I needed an instrument rating, and a multi-engine rating, as well as high performance, and high altitude. After only 10 months, I had my private, multi, instrument, high alt, high perf, and had purchased a 1999 Piper Seneca with FIKI certs. I now have over 750 hours PIC, flying all over the country for business and pleasure, and including a very cool trip to the Bahamas.

Well my son just turned 10 in February, and he is really into dirt bikes, and wants nothing to do with flying, so now at the ripe old age of 34, I continue to fly and love it, but also just got back into a bike setup. I firmly believe in proper risk management, as all pilots do, and feel that there is plenty of rationalization one way or the other, what it came down to for me is nobody can predict the future, there are a lot of things completely beyond your control that can cause you to lose your medical, and unless you are under contract prohibiting involvement in sports, I would keep going. Just as easy to fall playing racket ball and hit your head. Could be on the golf course and stray ball could hit you in the head. Wear your gear, and enjoy life!
omalley
3/15/2019 8:11am
Just a PPL holder. Had my own C182 for about three years until I got tired of paying for it. Sold it and got back into bikes. The thought definitely crossed my mind, especially with the wringer the Foxtrot double Alpha put me through for a couple minor medical issues.
RCMXracing
3/15/2019 8:40am
There are many of us that fly for a living. The adventure themed life, dirtbikes fit right in. A lot of military pilots, current and former. I put Moto on hold for many years with college and Navy, as soon as I was within a few years of getting out I picked it up again and haven’t stopped.
Manage the risk the best you can and do what makes you happy.
Was eyeing the Supercross Futures and some Arena Cross. Narrow crowded track, concrete walls, one guy goes down, get landed on, nope. Be as smart as you can, but can’t control everything, live your life.

Post a reply to: Professional Pilots Racing Moto

The Latest