Old guy wants to get back on the track, two stroke or four

wwdiii
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2019 5:26am
At 63 I recently bought a Honda 2019 CRF250F. Found out real quick trails bikes are not my deal. Although a good fit to get my legs back under me. Even though I am 63, I still remember my youth racing motocross.

Didn't take my long to realize I know nothing about trail bikes. Dang trees, rocks and slick ass East Texas pine needles are sure enough dangerous and not my deal.

I plan to keep the CRF250F, its it fun and trail bike or not, quite impressive. So my plan is to get something I can get back to the track on. Give my self a reason to get back into shape. Although hunting and bass fishing is fun, I would love to smell a two stroke.

With all that said, I could go out and buy a new YZ but I want to make sure I am not to far over the hill along with my wife that would not understand I just dropped dime on a trial bike and now something else. Along with my bass fishing, hunting, guitars, guns and you name it.

My plan is to buy something used. Decent but used. My gut tells my to buy a CRF250R. One part of me says buy a good used YZ250, the other part says make the best of my money and buy an RMZ450.

The good part, I am in no hurry, I have to get in better shape. I've let my self get out of shape and gain some weight.

All I know is reading things on this site have brought back many memories from the past. I don't want to race, just get out to the track down the road and play some.

Thanks, Billy

|
TeamGreen
4/28/2019 9:04pm
The RMZ450 -is- an amazing value and super easy to keep in good shape/maintain.
4/28/2019 9:11pm
Well I would not be buying a 250 2 stroke MX bike with your lack of fitness. Things are a handful of arm pump.
I think a new RMZ250 or left over 17-18 model would be ideal but you may need to get the suspension done for you. Wont be too much to hang onto and those things are some of the cheapest MXer's on the market.
Texas Built
4/28/2019 9:24pm
See if you can ride a 4 stroke before you buy one. I had ridden 2 strokes my whole life and finally bought a KX250F last year without ever riding one before. Big mistake. It started easy, fuel injection, and I liked that you just put pump gas in it and go. But it was just heavy and not fun. Reminded me of my old XR400 but more power. 2 stroke way more fun.

The Shop

ledger
4/28/2019 9:50pm
What's your weight if you don't mind ? I'm 57 years old and had more fun on the 16 YZ250F and that little 125 made me smile and laugh...a lot.
zehn
4/28/2019 10:07pm
A 450 is literally the ultimate old guy track bike
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
4/28/2019 10:41pm
“Along with my bass fishing, hunting, guitars, guns and you name it.”

You sound like my kinda guy haha

I would get a 350, you can grunt around the track but not have your arms ripped off by 450 torque
Talisker
4/29/2019 4:28am
Hello fellow vitard, I'm not far down the road from you, I'm in Pearland. Here my .02 cents. Since your out of shape skip the 250 2T and 450. The 250 has a light switch power band that may require a little more fitness. The 450 you do not need the excessive weight and power. Go with a Yamaha YZ250F. It has great low end torque and can be lugged around corners. Its called a mini 450. Just take your time and re-learn your corner on the 4t and you'll be fine.
On a 2t you use your rear wheel to steer. You enter the corner, gas it through the apex to bring your rear around then counter steer on the way out. The 4t is very similar to a street motorcycle and you have to use the front end to steer more that a 2t. Remember turn left to turn right. Once you enter the corner you have to just roll the throttle on. Once in the apex of the turn you use the handle bars to kinda get you pointed in the direction you need then counter steer out.
wwdiii
4/29/2019 5:03am
ledger wrote:
What's your weight if you don't mind ? I'm 57 years old and had more fun on the 16 YZ250F and that little 125 made me...
What's your weight if you don't mind ? I'm 57 years old and had more fun on the 16 YZ250F and that little 125 made me smile and laugh...a lot.
As far as my weight, I’m a big guy, 6’2” and about 230. I’ve gained about 20 pounds in the last year with my new job. Took my pension early from a tech company, started a new job. I take way to may customers to lunch and way to much of the good life. I have to get back in shape. Year and half ago I was about 208, I’m scared to get on the scales.

The difference between the CZ250 I raced in High School in mid 70s and the YZ250 I had in mid 80s were day and night. That YZ was bad fast and hard to ride, it was all or nothing. I was much faster on my old CZ.

I’ve thought about picking up a good used RMZ450, take it up a tooth on the sprocket and install slow turn throttle.

Motorcycles have changed a lot. I was surprised how much snap this new CRF250F I bought has. It is pretty zippy for an old man trail bike. I can imagine a new 250T would be off the chart. What ever I get I have to be able to manage it.

I spoke to one of the owners of Ultimate Motocross, a track in Alvin Texas not far from my house. He said lots of guys my age ride. He said quite a few have 450fs and ride around in second and third gear. He said clutch and gears might be the hardest part to get used to. I grew up on a CZ, didn’t use a clutch half the time.

First thing I have to do is get back in shape.
Kawi15
4/29/2019 5:26am
I am quite sure you do not want a 250 2 stroke. They are great bikes and fun to ride, but they are harder to ride then the four strokes are. If you had been riding for some time I think the 2 stroke would be great, but starting out I am thinking a 450 four stroke is a good bike. Take it easy, lug it around and get some feel for it. Let the speed and the fun come as you improve and are ready for more and as you get stronger.
JAFO92
4/29/2019 5:52am
In our age group its all about the fun factor. 55 here and love my 2-stroke and wouldnt own one of those heavy tractors.

Shoot me a message if you are headed to Rio one of these weekends and lets ride.
gt80rider
4/29/2019 5:53am
Four strokes- easier to ride.

Two strokes- actually feel fast.
Forty
4/29/2019 6:02am
Welcome back.
wwdiii
4/29/2019 7:56am
Forty wrote:
Welcome back.
I'm not back yet!!!! but want to be.

I got on the scales this morning. I've gain right at 20 pounds. Started my diet this morning. Will be working out this afternoon after work. I need to be working out instead of reading about fun stuff on the internet!!!!.

I do appreciate the info, good stuff. Lots of things have changed, these modern MX scooters are way different.

My plan is to ride my CRF250F around my place near Lake Sam Rayburn and logging roads at the hunting property I have leased to get the feel of things best I can. I would have never though it would be so odd getting back on a dirt bike. I though I could throw my leg over and off I go. After all these years I needed Training Wheels !!!!. Well not that bad but it sure was not second nature anymore.

I am starting to get my gear lined out. I have Gaerne boots, also bought a good set of googles. I do not like the Helmet I have. I found a bell I like plan to buy that this week. Will be get getting other gear as I go forward. My plan is to have an MX scooter in the next two months. That will give me time to grease the skids with my wife, she does not understand!!!

I thought about buying another Honda.....................!!. She told me once about my tournament bass fishing and I quote. I may not be able to count all the high dollar rods and reels you buy because they are all black, but those orange ones are new, you are busted. I said you are saying, women can't count but they are not color blind, that did not go over good.!!

So If I buy another Honda, she may not know the difference!!!.
4/29/2019 8:30am
Talisker wrote:
Hello fellow vitard, I'm not far down the road from you, I'm in Pearland. Here my .02 cents. Since your out of shape skip the 250...
Hello fellow vitard, I'm not far down the road from you, I'm in Pearland. Here my .02 cents. Since your out of shape skip the 250 2T and 450. The 250 has a light switch power band that may require a little more fitness. The 450 you do not need the excessive weight and power. Go with a Yamaha YZ250F. It has great low end torque and can be lugged around corners. Its called a mini 450. Just take your time and re-learn your corner on the 4t and you'll be fine.
On a 2t you use your rear wheel to steer. You enter the corner, gas it through the apex to bring your rear around then counter steer on the way out. The 4t is very similar to a street motorcycle and you have to use the front end to steer more that a 2t. Remember turn left to turn right. Once you enter the corner you have to just roll the throttle on. Once in the apex of the turn you use the handle bars to kinda get you pointed in the direction you need then counter steer out.
This is good advice.
77Moto
4/29/2019 10:08am
JAFO92 wrote:
In our age group its all about the fun factor. 55 here and love my 2-stroke and wouldnt own one of those heavy tractors. Shoot me...
In our age group its all about the fun factor. 55 here and love my 2-stroke and wouldnt own one of those heavy tractors.

Shoot me a message if you are headed to Rio one of these weekends and lets ride.
Exactly.
You know how they always say if you're gonna suck, might as well look good doing it?

Well, you can sound good too! And the exhaust can smell good too if you run some Klotz or Redline! And reallly good mixed with Av gas.

There is no upside to a 4 stroke. Not unless you're getting paid to ride one.
And then you don't talk about it.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
4/29/2019 10:37am
Take your existing bike to the track. No, it's not ideal, but you'll still have fun and the seat time will help you get your bike legs back. Even better you'll meet other guys out there and can be guaranteed several of them will offer you rides on their bikes. After several rides you'll have a solid grasp on what bike you want to buy and will have already found new riding buddies. Win-win.
psg119
4/29/2019 10:54am
Well I would not be buying a 250 2 stroke MX bike with your lack of fitness. Things are a handful of arm pump. I think...
Well I would not be buying a 250 2 stroke MX bike with your lack of fitness. Things are a handful of arm pump.
I think a new RMZ250 or left over 17-18 model would be ideal but you may need to get the suspension done for you. Wont be too much to hang onto and those things are some of the cheapest MXer's on the market.
I can vouch for the arm pump. Just got back on a YZ250 after 8 years off the bike but man is it fun. I’ll get my riding fitness back though.
TeamGreen
4/29/2019 10:57am
For,us old guys...

We get all focused on weight; but, what ya really need is "mobility". You need to be strengthening & stretching all those muscles that you'll be using out on the track.

Sure, losing weight is important.
Sure, a better diet is a "good thing".

But, again, set some stretching and cardio rolled into each and every day. It'll make your riding days soooooo much better.

Manny
Sierra Ranger
4/29/2019 11:32am
Talisker wrote:
Hello fellow vitard, I'm not far down the road from you, I'm in Pearland. Here my .02 cents. Since your out of shape skip the 250...
450s are ideal for older guys because you can torque around the track. And this post is correct about steering a two-stroke vs. four. I kept trying to fix my 450s front end until I figured out that's just how they steer.
I was riding yesterday on my two-stroke and I was doing a lot of bombing the outside and trying to keep momentum while the 450s just torque through it the middle of the turn with a shorter arc. Two strokes are a lot more fun for me.
owndjoo852
4/29/2019 12:09pm
450 for sure. I went the 250 2 stroke route a few years ago and it just takes so much effort to ride. Its hard to just take it easy too. I just went back to a new 450 for this year. So much fun to ride when you don't have to work hard and be perfect. And I second the being in shape aspect. The 450 you can cruise on or rip on. The 250 wants to be ridden hard or not at all.
wwdiii
4/29/2019 2:49pm
Maybe I should buy one of each......................Do you think my wife will notice when she walks in the garage!!!
face biter
4/29/2019 3:02pm
wwdiii wrote:
Maybe I should buy one of each......................Do you think my wife will notice when she walks in the garage!!!
As long as they’re not orange you should be ok, she seems to be on to that one.
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
4/29/2019 3:03pm
A KTM xc (either 250 or 300) is a good vet bike if you want a little less hit but still like the idea of a 2 stroke. I had a 250 sx which completely wore me out (which I've since traded for a 350, which I love) and rode it back to back with a 300 and really liked it. The 250 felt a little more snappy and exciting, but the 300 was much smoother, torquier, and easier to ride.

I know a guy in his early 60s that recently sold his 450 and bought a 250 xc and loves it. Another upside is that it is also a great trail bike. I have a feeling that if you rode a KTM xc on the trails the CRF250F would quickly go up for sale.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
4/29/2019 3:08pm
from everything you said, it's a no brainer, get a 450, any 450
AJ565
4/29/2019 3:14pm
There is a guy in Austin that just turned 71. He rides a 2019 KTM 150sx. Gets out and enjoys moto and supports the local moto community.
VetMX.com
4/29/2019 3:19pm
Take your 250 out to Rio Bravo and try to just stay out on the track a little longer than the time before. Build it back slowly so you don't over heat and tap out. We are getting into the hot humid season here in SE Texas so just go slow until you build back up.
I am about to be 56 and I laid off for a while to focus on my buisness so I am following this advise too. I just go out and try to ride 1 time for 1 hour and man, am I off of my old pace.

15 minutes of hauling and 45 minutes of recovery cruising..
FortyHat
4/29/2019 7:07pm
I came back to riding 3 years ago at 41, after not racing/riding since high school. Of course back then moto was all 2 strokes, so I went with what I knew and got a YZ125 to play with, and then a YZ250 to race once I got comfortable again. I added a 9oz flywheel weight to the 250 and that did help smooth the motor out a bit. Absolutely love the bike, it's a lot of fun, very light and nimble, sounds awesome. But as others have said here, it takes a lot of work to ride the thing properly on the track. Clutch work, shifting more, maintaining corner speed, managing wheel spin, using the brakes more, etc. It all equates to added physical and mental fatigue that 4 stroke riders generally avoid.

In the last couple of years, I tried riding some 4 strokes and hated how heavy they felt, but loved how easy the motors were to use. But at the same time, I knew I was working harder to go the same speed as the guys I was racing against. Fast forward to this year, and I decided to give the 19 KX450 a shot this race season to see if I liked it better. Such an awesome bike. Took a bit of getting used to, but I can go as fast or faster on the KX than I can on my YZ using a lot less energy. And if I make mistakes, which are constant, I pay far less of a price. I'll caveat all that by saying the 19 KX450 is thinner and lighter feeling than any 4 stroke I've tried in the past, including a KX250F. But your mileage may vary.

Bottom line is, I think you'll be happy no matter what you do. Just try to bum a demo ride off of anyone you can so that you can make an educated decision for yourself. And long term, it's cheaper to own a 2 stroke when it comes time to rebuild engine components. So factor that in too I guess.

Post a reply to: Old guy wants to get back on the track, two stroke or four

The Latest