Moto GP riding styles

robkinuk
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:22am
Anyone noticed how over the past 2-3 seasons motocross style is infiltrating how they ride those Moto GP monster bikes.
It seemed like Rossi started it with the inside leading leg going into a corner at 120mph+, but why are they doing it?
There's no way they could dab a foot down to right themselves at that speed. Is it to keep their weight forward and inside the bike's centre of gravity, to weight the tyres more?
What's your thought's?
|
adamdf
10/9/2010 1:21pm
seems to me like they only do it when they come in too hot...could it be just a panic thing that helps them get leaned over into the corner faster?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
10/9/2010 1:29pm
I've never heard Rossi explain why he does it, but there is a couple scenarios I could type out why I think it could be. But I think the main reason he does it is to throw other riders concentration off when braking and setting up for the corner. Then eventually it becomes a bit of a habit. The other guess would be similar to when you are braking hard above 90mph or so and you pop your knee out to use the wind as kind of a pivot to set up for the corner. Two brief descriptions of my guesses.
WR5
10/9/2010 1:32pm
The Truth Behind The Rossi Leg Wave

At every press conference, in every interview, in fact just about any time Valentino Rossi answers questions in public, the same question comes up again and again: "Why do you stick your leg out when you're braking for a corner?" And every time, Rossi shrugs and explains that he doesn't really know; "it just feels natural to do" is the answer he usually gives.

The move - taking his foot of the footpeg, dangling it as if almost preparing to slide it on the ground dirt-track style, before finally picking it up and putting it back on the footpeg, ready to help tip the bike into the corner - has become Rossi's trademark, but he is no longer alone in his leg waving. One by one, the rest of the grid have taken on the move, and it has spread to riders in every class, from MotoGP to 125s to World Supersport. First Marco Melandri and Loris Capirossi followed Rossi's example, then Max Biaggi, then the current generation of Dani Pedrosa, Casey Stoner and Jorge Lorenzo. Now, just about everyone is doing it, all the way down to club racers.

Source: http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html
adamdf
10/9/2010 1:32pm
oh and the theory for why it caught on with the other riders too?

That's Simple

Everyone wants to be like The Doctor!

The Shop

rstaichi
10/9/2010 1:41pm
It goes to show they don't use the rear brake at all into the corners.
I also notice Nicky and Ben don't do it.
Shawn142
10/9/2010 1:52pm
Listening to Dovi explain it, they do it because it allows you to balance extra weight on the inside of the bike when transitioning from heavy vertical braking to tip-in. It helps you pull the bike over. I don't know how many of you guys have ridden a sport bike on a track but there's a lot of force working against you when when turning.
TerryK
10/9/2010 1:53pm
rstaichi wrote:
Ummm.....most road racers use lots of rear brake into the corners.
rstaichi
10/9/2010 1:59pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
I dont think so.
And how do the use it (guys with legs out) going into right hand corners?
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/9/2010 2:07pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
Negative, rear brake is for trailbraking only.

This is from personal experience not theory.

When you see the rear smoking going in it is from down shifting and running out of slipper clutch.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
10/9/2010 2:13pm
I found myself doing it when I get in really really hot, but I honestly do it bc of my motocross background and natural instinct. I really don't understand a good reason for it.

Most of the time under extreme braking you tuck the front to the inside of turn or the side the foot is out on. I really don't understand the idea of making it turn in better. My bike is stupid quick on turn in and moto gp setups have to be better unless they are making the bike more stable at speed and giving up some turn in.
mac3-d
10/9/2010 2:18pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
rear brake don't work when back wheel is up in the air
leg thing all of the above - also to reposition his foot on the peg!!!
tunedlength
10/9/2010 2:25pm
Shawn142 wrote:
Listening to Dovi explain it, they do it because it allows you to balance extra weight on the inside of the bike when transitioning from heavy...
Listening to Dovi explain it, they do it because it allows you to balance extra weight on the inside of the bike when transitioning from heavy vertical braking to tip-in. It helps you pull the bike over. I don't know how many of you guys have ridden a sport bike on a track but there's a lot of force working against you when when turning.
I would tend to believe his explanation. They seem to only use that technique on relatively slow corners at the end of long straights.
JPT
10/9/2010 2:52pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
Nicky and Ben come from Superbike's. Bigger, heavier bikes where backing it in's the norm. Rossi and the rest come from 125 and 250 GP bikes where maintaining corner speed's the way to go. The 800s with all the traction control are more like the 250's. Nicky's struggled with that since the change, but Ben seems to be adapting quicker.

Pure guess work on my part, but I always thought Val's instinctively adjusting the center of gravity to what feels right to him as he lines up the turn. The leg is never out actually in the turn, just setting up the line. Plus it screws with the competion big time.
Kinetic1
10/9/2010 3:47pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
JPT wrote:
Nicky and Ben come from Superbike's. Bigger, heavier bikes where backing it in's the norm. Rossi and the rest come from 125 and 250 GP bikes...
Nicky and Ben come from Superbike's. Bigger, heavier bikes where backing it in's the norm. Rossi and the rest come from 125 and 250 GP bikes where maintaining corner speed's the way to go. The 800s with all the traction control are more like the 250's. Nicky's struggled with that since the change, but Ben seems to be adapting quicker.

Pure guess work on my part, but I always thought Val's instinctively adjusting the center of gravity to what feels right to him as he lines up the turn. The leg is never out actually in the turn, just setting up the line. Plus it screws with the competion big time.
It finally dawned on me the other day. It sure does make the bike that much wider doesn't it?WinkSmileCool A wide bike is hard to pass. I come from a road race back ground and although I have not tried the leg out thing on the track I would think it's more of a mental thing and a blocking thing. JMO

I ride like Nicky and Ben slide in and steer with the rear........I never had the fancy traction control. Truth be told I haven't been on a race track in a race since 1992. Track days, well, different story, although it's been a few years for that as well.
RMT
10/9/2010 3:57pm
Not saying they use a "Lot" of rear brake, but guys used to have a thumb brake to help use the rear brake when leaned over the the right. The leg thing is purely mental, and since Rossi is Rossi, other guys have picked it up.
Kinetic1
10/9/2010 4:42pm
Doohan started the thumb brake thing because of his leg injury that took his ability to use the rear with his foot properly away. I know a few other guys tried it but it had nothing to do with the right hand turn thing. Road racing isn't motocross.
Camp332
10/9/2010 6:43pm
I'm digging the fact that they are putting their foot out before corners...
Rossi kills it!

mxaaron
10/9/2010 8:40pm
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
Dude you're wrong.

Slipper clutches, along with the back tire basically off the ground in hard braking are two things at play here. Hard back braking is not.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
10/9/2010 9:12pm
Vale started that 4 or 5 years ago, Stoner followed, seen Nicky do it a couple times too. Simoncelli who rides a lot with Rossi does it too. When we asked it to VR 2 years ago at the Indy MotoGP he replied that it was something natural, didn't know how it really came in racing, but has to do with his mx riding practice sessions (he does a lot of those).
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
10/9/2010 9:23pm
i get to watch my first live moto gp at phillip island next weekend, should be an awesome trip
10/10/2010 9:01am
Some of the GP bikes also have hand operated rear brakes. I find on long rides in that position, my legs get cramped(especially my previously injured right), I take my foot off at the slower speeds to stretch it out.
10/10/2010 10:11am
rstaichi wrote:
It's only a matter of time I guess??

Speedway riders (dirttrack) use the leg for balance,even tough their wheels are out of line as they are sliding it's essential to counterbalance as they are on a fine line too with the handlingof the bike
rstaichi
10/10/2010 10:38am
rstaichi wrote:
It's only a matter of time I guess?? Speedway riders (dirttrack) use the leg for balance,even tough their wheels are out of line as they are...
It's only a matter of time I guess??

Speedway riders (dirttrack) use the leg for balance,even tough their wheels are out of line as they are sliding it's essential to counterbalance as they are on a fine line too with the handlingof the bike
Nicky grew up flat tracking and still doesn't do it.
When he first came into ama 600 supersport racing he was side ways all the time, same when he first got into moto gp. Then he said he realized it wasn't the fast way to do it and now comes in more straight.
But I have yet to see him throw it out flat track style.
2TYam27
10/10/2010 11:54am
I was wondering the same thing. I have also seen them do something else strange. I am not even sure which series I was watching when I saw it since I don't follow road racing, but they would swing their leg out into knee drag position then swing it back in and out again several times real fast while entering a corner. There foot would never come off the peg. It looked goofy to me and I could not think of what the purpose would be. Anyone know what I am talking about and know why they do it?
robkinuk
10/10/2010 12:07pm
2TYam27 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. I have also seen them do something else strange. I am not even sure which series I was watching when...
I was wondering the same thing. I have also seen them do something else strange. I am not even sure which series I was watching when I saw it since I don't follow road racing, but they would swing their leg out into knee drag position then swing it back in and out again several times real fast while entering a corner. There foot would never come off the peg. It looked goofy to me and I could not think of what the purpose would be. Anyone know what I am talking about and know why they do it?
Could be there using their moving leg an an additional airbrake creating more resistance to aid braking just a thought.
Styles have certainly changed over the years in road racing, from the tucked in hardly moving around style to the modern day animated riders moving all over their machines!

Question:
Who do you think has the best style in today's crop of Moto GP riders?
Rdracer598
10/11/2010 7:46am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2010 7:53am
rstaichi wrote:
TerryK wrote:
tcannon521 wrote:
Negative, rear brake is for trailbraking only. This is from personal experience not theory. When you see the rear smoking going in it is from down...
Negative, rear brake is for trailbraking only.

This is from personal experience not theory.

When you see the rear smoking going in it is from down shifting and running out of slipper clutch.
Rear brakes aren't used for trail braking.The front brake is. Running out of slipper clutch? Do you even ride a roadrace bike? You can get the bike sideways by taping the rear brake or downshifting and letting the clutch out slowly. It's usually done to help setup entry just like steering the raer out coming out of turns.

Can't wait for GP to go back to the big bikes. They need to ditch Traction control to!
jamma10
10/11/2010 7:55am
2TYam27 wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. I have also seen them do something else strange. I am not even sure which series I was watching when...
robkinuk wrote:
Could be there using their moving leg an an additional airbrake creating more resistance to aid braking just a thought. Styles have certainly changed over the...
Could be there using their moving leg an an additional airbrake creating more resistance to aid braking just a thought.
Styles have certainly changed over the years in road racing, from the tucked in hardly moving around style to the modern day animated riders moving all over their machines!

Question:
Who do you think has the best style in today's crop of Moto GP riders?
I heard the Eurosport commentators Jack Burnicle and Jamie Whitham say exactly that - they hang their leg out to create extra drag and help slow the bike down into corners.

Can't imagine makes that much difference... but Im not gonna argue with Valentino Rossi etc!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
10/11/2010 8:33am
Fantastic ride by Rossi yesterday, btw.

Post a reply to: Moto GP riding styles

The Latest