Gary Semics outdated?

Edited Date/Time 3/30/2022 9:06pm
What do you guys think? I have seen some of his lessons, and they seem pretty good. But obviously riding style and pace has developed alot every year. Is the basics still the same as they were 10 years ago? and 20 years ago?
|
teggers
5/29/2017 3:23am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2017 3:24am
His training and work ethic will never be outdated.
Imagine the impact he has had on people and their fitness over the years.
PFitzG38
5/29/2017 3:37am
GS is still plugged in and will always be relevant. Besides old age and trechery will best youth and modernity any day

The Shop

tobz
5/29/2017 5:01am
philG wrote:
Basics are basics..
Put it perfectly!

Just because he's not teaching how put your foot on the underside of the footpeg when you snap it sideways off a supercross triple...
5/29/2017 6:21am
Yeah basics are basics i guess, haha. Thanks for your replies.

teggers, has he had an impact on any current pro`s?Smile
DoctorJD
5/29/2017 6:27am
philG wrote:
Basics are basics..
tobz wrote:
Put it perfectly! Just because he's not teaching how put your foot on the underside of the footpeg when you snap it sideways off a supercross...
Put it perfectly!

Just because he's not teaching how put your foot on the underside of the footpeg when you snap it sideways off a supercross triple...
Bingo.

5/29/2017 6:52am
I would recommend the videos errhh DVDs to anyone starting to ride and if they practice each technique, they will get better, quicker than trying to teach therselves.
Robgvx
5/29/2017 7:29am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2017 7:31am
Physics doesn't change. I was taught by someone who raced in the sixties and seventies. His techniques are as spot-on today as they were back then.
kkawboy14
5/29/2017 7:43am
Randy Yoho advice to me 30 years ago, "how much did you spend on all this stuff to race? Spend $50 on lessons, you won't regret it!" Best advice I ever got!
Red141
5/29/2017 8:30am
You seem to be assuming that Gary stopped riding when he retired.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
5/29/2017 8:49am
What GS teaches in terms of content and the fundamentals will never be outdated, ever. So there is still massive amounts of value in the videos. I do think there is an "opportunity" for GS to put together some additional more modern videos using new A/V technology to "refresh" many of the lessons as well as diving more into the nuances of the some new MX techniques - granted there isn't anything new that is earth shattering or going to make anyone go from avg Joe rider to RV or JS. A refresh would be nice, but certainly not a necessity. Again, the fundamentals taught in his videos are timeless.
line-up
5/29/2017 9:07am
rippinruts wrote:
What do you guys think? I have seen some of his lessons, and they seem pretty good. But obviously riding style and pace has developed alot...
What do you guys think? I have seen some of his lessons, and they seem pretty good. But obviously riding style and pace has developed alot every year. Is the basics still the same as they were 10 years ago? and 20 years ago?
And Roger De Coster should be retired already, right?....
kage173
5/29/2017 9:13am
rippinruts wrote:
What do you guys think? I have seen some of his lessons, and they seem pretty good. But obviously riding style and pace has developed alot...
I think this was a good question bro. And I think you've gotten mostly correct answers. Minus the sarcastic stuff.
wreckitrandy
5/29/2017 9:26am
"When I find a teacher that can beat me, I'll take a lesson." Lee Trevino.... I'm pretty confident that Semics is still faster than I've ever been in my life so, yeah I'd take any advice he's giving.
kkawboy14
5/29/2017 9:49am
A person can learn anything on their own given enough practice and time invested, a teacher gets you where you want to be a lot faster!
bd
5/29/2017 10:27am
Heads Up - Gary Semics, Donnie Hansen, Ryan Hughes, Baker etc are constantly studying the sport and athletes. As the sport eveolves, so do their classes. That said, has body postion, cornering, braking changed?
bd
5/29/2017 10:29am
kkawboy14 wrote:
A person can learn anything on their own given enough practice and time invested, a teacher gets you where you want to be a lot faster!
And breaks bad habits (techniques). By the way, any one find it interesting the majority of top riders have riding coaches (kinda like NFL quarterbacks)?
RhinoRider
5/29/2017 10:32am
Has Jeannie Carbunkle ever even rode a bike? We know big James rode some, but if you argue that a kid on a 60 can beat Jeannie, well, you're probably not going far.

Colleen MIllsaps is another. You don't have to fast or even ride to be able to see what works and what doesn't.
brimx153
5/29/2017 10:44am
philG wrote:
Basics are basics..
most top riders nowaday would say that the Basics have changed since 4 strokes have come along . i think the OP is saying that GS still teaches how to ride a 2 stroke when alot of trainers have changed there techniques for how to ride a 4 stroke . ie Doug D , Seb T, Ryano ,DV ,Keefer ,Grant L etc etc .

I agree with the OP the techniques of riding the 4 stoke is different in corners ,
brimx153
5/29/2017 10:46am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2017 10:47am
bd wrote:
Heads Up - Gary Semics, Donnie Hansen, Ryan Hughes, Baker etc are constantly studying the sport and athletes. As the sport eveolves, so do their classes...
Heads Up - Gary Semics, Donnie Hansen, Ryan Hughes, Baker etc are constantly studying the sport and athletes. As the sport eveolves, so do their classes. That said, has body postion, cornering, braking changed?
"body postion, cornering, braking changed?" Yes they all have changed since 2 stroke days

Ryano teaches a way different way of riding than he did say 13 yrs ago ,
ewiufh43
5/29/2017 10:46am
RhinoRider wrote:
Has Jeannie Carbunkle ever even rode a bike? We know big James rode some, but if you argue that a kid on a 60 can beat...
Has Jeannie Carbunkle ever even rode a bike? We know big James rode some, but if you argue that a kid on a 60 can beat Jeannie, well, you're probably not going far.

Colleen MIllsaps is another. You don't have to fast or even ride to be able to see what works and what doesn't.
Hey Paul, I mean premix junky, you seem to have made a mistake in your post. You appear to be posting again after being banned multiple times. Whoops! You should never sign up for another account immediately after you have been banned and continue posting. Continuing to re-register accounts on a forum that nobody wants you to post on is poor form.

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get the point. If you want to discuss matters further you can first send Williams $6,000 via paypal. See THIS for further instructions.

Thanks a bunch!
5/29/2017 11:33am
Can you imagine some of today's snowflakes going to a Gary Bailey school and having their knuckles busted by the Professor with the flagstick?Woohoo Oh, the parental outrage that would ensue. Lawyers, guns, money, etc.

Best to keep those fingers on the levers, Junior.Evil

5/29/2017 12:02pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Randy Yoho advice to me 30 years ago, "how much did you spend on all this stuff to race? Spend $50 on lessons, you won't regret...
Randy Yoho advice to me 30 years ago, "how much did you spend on all this stuff to race? Spend $50 on lessons, you won't regret it!" Best advice I ever got!
Thats true! I will keep that in mind haha.Smile
5/29/2017 12:04pm
TbonesPop wrote:
What GS teaches in terms of content and the fundamentals will never be outdated, ever. So there is still massive amounts of value in the videos...
What GS teaches in terms of content and the fundamentals will never be outdated, ever. So there is still massive amounts of value in the videos. I do think there is an "opportunity" for GS to put together some additional more modern videos using new A/V technology to "refresh" many of the lessons as well as diving more into the nuances of the some new MX techniques - granted there isn't anything new that is earth shattering or going to make anyone go from avg Joe rider to RV or JS. A refresh would be nice, but certainly not a necessity. Again, the fundamentals taught in his videos are timeless.
Thanks for the good answer.
5/29/2017 12:06pm
kage173 wrote:
I think this was a good question bro. And I think you've gotten mostly correct answers. Minus the sarcastic stuff.
First sentence might be the nicest thing i have heard on vital lol, thanksLaughing
752dad
5/29/2017 1:11pm
bd wrote:
Heads Up - Gary Semics, Donnie Hansen, Ryan Hughes, Baker etc are constantly studying the sport and athletes. As the sport eveolves, so do their classes...
brimx153 wrote:
"body postion, cornering, braking changed?" Yes they all have changed since 2 stroke days Ryano teaches a way different way of riding than he did say...
"body postion, cornering, braking changed?" Yes they all have changed since 2 stroke days

Ryano teaches a way different way of riding than he did say 13 yrs ago ,

Post a reply to: Gary Semics outdated?

The Latest