2007 RM250 OEM + Build

Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 7:36pm
Just picked up a 2007 RM250 from a local here on craigslist; anybody who is familiar with the current bike market out here, let alone a final year 2-stroke won't believe that this thing lasted nearly 4 days. As soon as I saw it I know it was coming home with me, it can't have more than 25 hours on it.

I'm calling this an OEM + build because right now, my budget is going to be minimal for this. My girlfriend and I are saving for a home, so right now my life is split between working and selling all of my stuff lol.

My goal is to make this thing just a fun, simple moto machine as efficiently as possible that I can shred and have fun on. Right now it isn't idling and the choke won't stick up, so tomorrow I'm going to be tearing into the carb to clean it.

Plans to run the exhaust are a PC works pipe mated to a 304 silencer. Jetting specs will be those advised from Pro Circuit

Main 168
Pilot 48
Needle NECJ 3rd clip

But the real score came when I found the parts bin that the seller gave me, at the bottom of an old Home Depot plastic tub was a shiny piece of vinyl that caught my eye. It ended up being a complete NOS set of Makita graphics straight from One Industries, I could not believe what I had found.

It's folded over and needs some love, but they're never used, never put on, straight up the real deal.
|
Burger745
2/13/2021 6:58am
Good luck finding parts man, they are getting harder to find. As far as not spending your life savings good luck again lol!!! They are endless money pits. I rebuilt complete motor top and bottom with OEM parts. Mine was 05 and handled like a dream

2/13/2021 7:17am
romain524 wrote:
Did you get the stock tank with it?
I did! Going to try and sell all of the off road stuff on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist to try and pay for the outrageous RMATV order I placed last night Whistling
HackMan162
2/13/2021 3:42pm
Do yourself a favor and forgo the PC pipe/silencer and go with Bills Pipes and Silencer.

The Shop

mikie44
2/13/2021 3:56pm

Congrats man.. hang on to that RM! This is my '06 RM I just finished. Next to my '05 YZ that I rebuilt top to bottom over the summer.
2/13/2021 4:35pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Do yourself a favor and forgo the PC pipe/silencer and go with Bills Pipes and Silencer.
I absolutely will at some point, it's just unfortunately not in the budget at the moment. I'm also going to wait for Bill to get his production and distribution ramped back up.
2/13/2021 5:19pm
Awesome score! I picked up a 2006 few months back wish mine was in that condition when i started on it!!
romain524
2/13/2021 5:44pm
mikie44 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/13/478498/s1200_IMG_3421.jpg[/img] Congrats man.. hang on to that RM! This is my '06 RM I just finished. Next to my '05 YZ that I rebuilt top to...

Congrats man.. hang on to that RM! This is my '06 RM I just finished. Next to my '05 YZ that I rebuilt top to bottom over the summer.
Which bike do you prefer between the two?
mikie44
2/13/2021 8:09pm
mikie44 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/13/478498/s1200_IMG_3421.jpg[/img] Congrats man.. hang on to that RM! This is my '06 RM I just finished. Next to my '05 YZ that I rebuilt top to...

romain524 wrote:
It's not really a fair fight. I spent a LOT of time and effort setting up the YZ. '09 forks/shock, a bunch of track time setting up suspension. Motor next. The RM is basically stock, probably jetted wrong and haven't messed with power valve. That said, the RM suspension is actually pretty damn good and she turns like no other! If I can get a little more out of the motor the RM would be in the hunt for sure.
2/14/2021 8:14pm
Broke into her today, list of funny things that I found:

1. Petcock backwards, petcock broken

2. Air filter missing the air cage

3. Spoke skinz kept the spokes looking incredible, I can't believe it lol

4. There was dirt in the airbox from the Bush administration

5. Right seat bolt decided to upgrade itself from an 8 to a 10.

Finally I tore into the carb, i've never worked with a keihin pwk that has the TPS, so I patiently started un-doing the wires and routing that allowed me to separate it from the intake and reeds.

And finally, the disgust was found deep within.

Can't imagine why it wasn't idling lol

Removed the off road tank and put it back to moto form, the frame is in incredible condition.

How it sits now, I will jet it when my RMATV orders and in the meantime, yank the PC pipe off to knock the rust off and blue up the welds

Overall, I'm very pleased with the condition that this bike is in. I look forward to getting my bars on and see this Suzuki turns for myself. Woohoo
b8res
2/15/2021 10:19am
Nice find!! Enjoy! Great bikes... just over priced on parts! Limited after market as well.

2/15/2021 10:42am
Im not sure if the petcock was on backwards.....Mine on my 06 is installed the same way which i thought was wrong but i read a thread on here it actually supposed to be installed like that. Hopefully someone who knows the RM's more than me will chime in.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/15/2021 10:49am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 10:54am
"8mm hole upgraded itself to 10" Grinning

The petcock is actually normal positioned backwards, the zuks were like that for whatever reason.
Lightning78
2/15/2021 11:56am
mikie44 wrote:

romain524 wrote:
mikie44 wrote:
It's not really a fair fight. I spent a LOT of time and effort setting up the YZ. '09 forks/shock, a bunch of track time setting...
It's not really a fair fight. I spent a LOT of time and effort setting up the YZ. '09 forks/shock, a bunch of track time setting up suspension. Motor next. The RM is basically stock, probably jetted wrong and haven't messed with power valve. That said, the RM suspension is actually pretty damn good and she turns like no other! If I can get a little more out of the motor the RM would be in the hunt for sure.
Dude my 2006 RM250 had HORRIBLE suspension…. Well the forks anyway. I sprung them for my weight, messed with the oil levels and it never worked well no matter how much time I put into getting those forks to work. I disliked my 06 because of the forks. I rode an 07 with suspension work (revalve etc) and although it was excessively soft, the bike did handle and ride amazing! But I could never even come close to decent performance with the stock valving which I thought was supposed to be really good.
Joyner41
Fantasy
1803rd
2/15/2021 2:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 2:36pm
Im not sure if the petcock was on backwards.....Mine on my 06 is installed the same way which i thought was wrong but i read a...
Im not sure if the petcock was on backwards.....Mine on my 06 is installed the same way which i thought was wrong but i read a thread on here it actually supposed to be installed like that. Hopefully someone who knows the RM's more than me will chime in.
They were backwards to keep from accidentally turning off the gas. Wink
2/15/2021 3:07pm
Im not sure if the petcock was on backwards.....Mine on my 06 is installed the same way which i thought was wrong but i read a...
Joyner41 wrote:
They were backwards to keep from accidentally turning off the gas. Wink
Yep my ‘03 RM 125 was that way.

What a score! That bike is a beauty! I’ve always wanted to get another RM
biondo
2/16/2021 7:36am
Hi my petcock on my 2001’ RM250 is in same position...must be a safety issue...
Great Bike! Love mine !
2/21/2021 5:10pm
Made a bunch of progress since the last update, big shout out to Pro Circuit and Mitch Payton for having the jetting absolutely dead on for this thing.

The only thing that has me bugging is that the choke doesn't seem to be working; it doesn't affect the idle RPMs at all, anybody have an idea?

Took her out for a quick put around the court I live in, only to find that the clutch walks when you pull it in and is pretty much useless in the current state. I'm gonna have to tear into it later this week and see if the plates are sticking together or if the basket is toast.

Other things that I found, the countershaft seal is toast which explains why there was barely any goddamn gear oil in it when I went to go change what was left of it.

Put a set of Pirelli MX32s on front and rear, unfortunately this led me to find that the rear rim has a crack in it. Oh well, better excuse for the inevitable yellow wheelset I suppose Whistling

2/24/2021 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2021 9:11pm
Made some progress tonight, attempted to re-pack the muffler but that quickly went to shit when i bent the fuck out of the core and couldn't get the silencer cap off to rig my ghetto spark arrestor. Today was just kind of a shit day in general, but I got the idle sorted out and it sounds crispy, so I suppose you have to take the bitter with better in life.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit the PC pipe with some steel wool, scouring pads, and a light bit of dremel polishing. I also purchased my first propane torch so I'm gonna try and blue up the welds as well.

The muffler bearings are in good shape, so I won't have to replace them but the blinker fluid is looking a little tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0VnzYUcYo
MXer391
2/25/2021 11:25am
Nice build! let me know if you want to sell that off road tank. I may be interested.
cdoggy81
2/28/2021 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2021 6:17pm
Looking good buddy!
Good luck on the house hunt too. Stressful & exciting!
BTW- How is your gf’s dad doing?
3/4/2021 7:00pm
Finally picking up where I left off, the frickin silencer. I managed to get it off with the aid of some vise grips because the rivet itself got lodged in between the can and the end. I fuckin hate rivets.

Anywho, in my jackoffery to re-install, i bent the hell out of the core, so I cut it short about .75 inches

Next was to rig my favorite cost savings, the sink strainer sparky (Hypothetically). HYPOTHETICALLY IF I went to ace to pick up a sink strainer that looks REMARKABLY similar to spark arrestor screens, cut the edge off and BAM let pressure/tension do the rest, it would be a $4 spark arrestor screen.

Bought a rivet gun, watched a quick youtube video, and bam popped her back in, not bad for my first time!

Not a great picture of it, but I spent about 30 mins just bluing up the welds today after spending an hour with the wire wheel brush and scraping 10 year old rust/dirt from all over the pipe. I gotta wear a mask next time I do that, I burned so much oil out of that pipe with the weld bluing I almost fainted.

I'm a bar swap, countershaft seal, and some grease away from ripping her soon!
3/6/2021 9:25am
Countershaft seal proved way trickier than it appeared on the surface. I was able to move the chain out of the way and pull the circlip off without problem, but there was an issue with spacing between the top of the teeth on the front sprocket and the chain slider itself.

Something is wrong here, either the previous owner used an incorrect front sprocket on the bike, my guess might be he used a YZ part? Or the 14T is taller than the 13T stock sprocket? But neither of these make any sense at all. My worst fear is that Suzuki designed it so you had to take the chain slider off to remove the front sprocket, but that is laughably bad engineering and even THEY wouldn't do that, right?

Last, in my mind, and the most likely guess it that the tolerance of the old slider got so warped over time that the rubber swelled and prevented the sprocket from coming off easily; either way both gotta go.

The only way to get the damn sprocket off was to pull the entire swingarm from the bike, one thing lead to another, and I found myself disassembling and greasing the entire linkage. I had 2 frozen bolts, grease, oil, and dirt that smelled like death, and used more pairs of nitrile gloves that i can count from lubing the back end of the bike up, what a day.

Learn this lesson vital, if somebody swears to you they "just greased the linkage and swingarm bearings", they are absolutely, 100% positively full of shit.

Also installed the frame grips I ordered from MotoTape; fitment is okaaayyy, but not enough for me to complain. Some quick trimming with a razor made it a lot better, but it seems their cuts miss parts of the bottom of the frame side on these bikes.

Oh well, at least the idle is crispy and the exhaust tone sounds remarkably better (To me at least) after the re-pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK0xvlrUBbE
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/8/2021 9:46am
Yup "Just did the bearings!" haha, ya I'm sure you did buddy.... I'm currently trying to pick up a 90s 125 to rebuild. I keep hearing this:

"trust me bro, I have way too much into this bike to let it go for that. Lots of new parts".
Me: Ok, what did you do?
"fresh top and bottom end with a few hours " (ya suuuuure)
"new rear fender and sprocket"

I can tell from the pictures they all need full drive train, probably all bearings, thing is probably ready to blow up Grinning
3/9/2021 8:15pm
seth505 wrote:
Yup "Just did the bearings!" haha, ya I'm sure you did buddy.... I'm currently trying to pick up a 90s 125 to rebuild. I keep hearing...
Yup "Just did the bearings!" haha, ya I'm sure you did buddy.... I'm currently trying to pick up a 90s 125 to rebuild. I keep hearing this:

"trust me bro, I have way too much into this bike to let it go for that. Lots of new parts".
Me: Ok, what did you do?
"fresh top and bottom end with a few hours " (ya suuuuure)
"new rear fender and sprocket"

I can tell from the pictures they all need full drive train, probably all bearings, thing is probably ready to blow up Grinning
Dude, you're telling me, this isn't even close to the worst bike I've bought, but the bearings were BY FAR the smelliest I've ever been hit with. It smelled like 3 day old rat shit baking in an oven.

Anywho, carb lines have been ordered and float will be re-set to correct 6.5mm height. Other than re-installing the chain and swapping over my bars, it should be done after all of this.

Life has gotten in the way lately but I am aiming to ride it next weekend at either Hangtown or E-Street. Will post the GoPro vid of my first impression.

mxracer666
3/9/2021 11:03pm
Drop the forks in the clamps as far as possible. It's a "busy" feeling bike. A longer Pro Circuit link really helps too. You can buy that exact 3M grip tape, by the foot, at most Home Depots. It will last 1,maybe 2 rides.. Congrats! They are great bikes!.
3/12/2021 6:35pm
1 win and 2 losses from today.

Win, the 14T sprocket was apparently what was preventing the older slider from coming off. A NOS 13T Pro Taper front sprocket (OEM size) went on without a hitch.

Loss 1

Acerbis chain slider was far, far out of tolerance for the mounting points, was not straight, didn't even have the final cuts made from the production line for the mounting bolts to go through. Piss poor quality control but hey, it's made in italy so what did i really expect.

Loss 2

I stripped the rear mounting screw for the chain slider trying to fit said out of tolerance chain slider onto the swingarm. I need to learn how to helicoil. I'm going to order an OEM slider now, i'm finished with Acerbis products. This is the 4th time i've ordered something made by them on Rocky that is absolute dog shit quality.

Pirate421
3/12/2021 7:27pm
I’m curious to see how your fix comes out on the slider mount. I looked into rivnuts before because the aluminum is so thin in that area. May work as an alternative to helicoil.

Post a reply to: 2007 RM250 OEM + Build

The Latest