SAG setting technique

Related:
Create New Tag

3/21/2018 8:36 AM

I wanted to hear what everyone's technique for measuring and setting their SAG is. I mainly want to see what kind of tricks and tips people of the years may have developed.

Currently I use the tradtional 1 rider and two buddy system. I have a buddy or my girl old the the bike steady while i sit on the bike with my gear on, and the other buddy takes the measurement for me. Then if i need to change it we make the adjustment on the rear shock and do it all over again till we get it right.

|

I don't crash, I just run out of talent

3/21/2018 9:23 AM

I use the Slacker sag scale from Motool. It doesn't get any easier than that. You can do it all on your own, which is great.

|

3/21/2018 10:42 AM

x2 for sag scale by motool, also too make quick adjustments get the Xtrig preload shock adjuster, basically allows you to adjust preload with a T-handle. My buddy has one and it is amazing and i plan on getting one next time i get my suspension sent in.

|

3/21/2018 11:15 AM

|

3/21/2018 11:58 AM

I looked into the Slacker sag scale and was hesitant about it, but three people endorsing it back to back. I may have to invest in one.

|

I don't crash, I just run out of talent

3/21/2018 2:32 PM

Slacker x4

|

No brains, No headaches.

3/21/2018 4:35 PM

I tried a Slacker once and it would not add up to the same numbers that my sag stick read, it was several mm off. Maybe it was an early model and they fixed them, but I haven't used one since. Just my experience.

|

3/21/2018 7:20 PM

Tape measure in mm at a conical angle. Carmichael never had an electric starter. Lol

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

3/21/2018 7:34 PM

I'm old school so I've set mine up the old fashioned way with a regular tape measure for about 30 yrs..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

3/21/2018 10:08 PM

Motion Pro sag scale

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

3/21/2018 11:31 PM

Keith72 wrote:

Slacker x4

X5
love it, so do my buddies

|

3/22/2018 12:11 AM

X6 for the slacker.

I really like this sag tool because you can play with your body weight etc and see how much of a difference it makes to the sag.

This thread is a great advertisement for the slacker tool ?

|

3/22/2018 7:33 AM

i rarely ride a bike with the correct spring for my weight, so a simple tape measure suffices. i only measure static sag, my preferred range is 25-35 mm, nearly all bikes will handle well within that range, testing will find the sweet spot. Again, i use static sag because i rarely ride a bike with the correct spring rate for my weight. this method was given to me by my friend, rip, bob elliott.

|

3/22/2018 8:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2018 8:31 AM

I always found setting sag to be a pain in the ass when you try to do it yourself so I came up with an easy way for me to set it for $5. I bought an aluminum yard stick, notched the end so it would slide into the rear axle, and marked predetermined sag settings. It slides between my rear fender and number plate and I use the line on my number plate as my reference point.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/22/2018 9:59 AM

Another vote for the slacker. I ride by myself a fair amount, and to be honest I don’t trust your average joe at the track to read a tape for me and get an accurate reading. Thing is pretty fool proof

|

RPM Performance
CT

3/27/2018 11:50 PM

If:
You ride by yourself
Have several bikes
Enjoy (or suffer from) OCD
You need a slacker.

|

3/28/2018 3:19 PM

I Slacker as well.

|

@TONY351KTM

3/28/2018 5:03 PM

X8 on the slacker tool. Just get ready for every one around you at the track wanting to use it. Also keep extra aaa batteries with you.

|

3/29/2018 6:58 AM

slipdog wrote:

I tried a Slacker once and it would not add up to the same numbers that my sag stick read, it was several mm off. Maybe it was an early model and they fixed them, but I haven't used one since. Just my experience.

Slip, what's the best method for measuring how much preload is put on the spring? If the spring requires more than 10mm of preload to achieve desired sag, then it's the incorrect spring rate - correct? I understand that the answer to my question is to simply measure total spring length without any preload and with the preload, then take the difference... but once the shock and subframe are installed, it's pretty hard to get any kind of measurement device in there to get an accurate reading... Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks dude

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

3/29/2018 7:52 AM

slipdog wrote:

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Slip, what's the best method for measuring how much preload is put on the spring? If the spring requires more than 10mm of preload to achieve desired sag, then it's the incorrect spring rate - correct? I understand that the answer to my question is to simply measure total spring length without any preload and with the preload, then take the difference... but once the shock and subframe are installed, it's pretty hard to get any kind of measurement device in there to get an accurate reading... Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks dude

Not really sure you can do it very well when the shock is installed on the bike, at that point you're left with static and race sag measurements. You are correct though, over 10mm of preload and you're looking at needing a stiffer spring and under 6mm is needing a softer. With your race sag set around 105+/- the ideal static is around 25-40mm with 40 or more indicating the need for a softer spring and 25 and under indicating the need to go stiffer.

My opinion is also these are "general" guidelines and rider "feel" is always the most important. Personally, I'm usually right around 40- 42mm static on my rear springs which leave me at about 4mm measured preload. The next lighter spring puts my numbers right in the meat of the guidelines but will feel like it squats under load too much and rides low giving a chopper feel.

|

3/31/2018 2:48 PM

slipdog wrote:

Not really sure you can do it very well when the shock is installed on the bike, at that point you're left with static and race sag measurements. You are correct though, over 10mm of preload and you're looking at needing a stiffer spring and under 6mm is needing a softer. With your race sag set around 105+/- the ideal static is around 25-40mm with 40 or more indicating the need for a softer spring and 25 and under indicating the need to go stiffer.

My opinion is also these are "general" guidelines and rider "feel" is always the most important. Personally, I'm usually right around 40- 42mm static on my rear springs which leave me at about 4mm measured preload. The next lighter spring puts my numbers right in the meat of the guidelines but will feel like it squats under load too much and rides low giving a chopper feel.

Yep. Good info.. The FC link posted above gives you the parameters of 25-40mm static measurement.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.