OEM or Wiseco?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2018 1:57 PM

Gonna put a new piston in my YZ125 but not sure what one to put in it? OEM or Wiseco?

|

1/25/2018 10:28 PM

Ive used Wiseco pistons and Vertex pistons, and I have a Wiseco in my Yz125 right now, no complaints about it. Use a good quality premix oil and either brand of piston will work good.

|

1/25/2018 10:31 PM

OEM or ProX for me, but that's just what I've had great luck with! I'm sure you'll hear a variety of opinions, so take each for what they're worth. Best of Luck and enjoy ripping that YZinger cool

|

1/25/2018 11:48 PM

Yes

|

1/26/2018 4:19 AM

wiseco pistons are one of those things that are better than oem. Not that oem is bad by any means but a forged piston is going to be stronger and more durable than a cast one. Top end hours can be extender

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

1/26/2018 5:13 AM

In my two strokes I always used Pro X with no issues, sometimes OEM, the cast pistons seem to hold up better in my experience.

|

1/26/2018 7:43 AM

crc245 wrote:

OEM or ProX for me, but that's just what I've had great luck with! I'm sure you'll hear a variety of opinions, so take each for what they're worth. Best of Luck and enjoy ripping that YZinger cool

x2

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/26/2018 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/26/2018 8:17 AM

I rebuilt a yz125 with a pro-x piston, ran good for me 5-6 rides. Sold it and within a few weeks 1-2 rides the guy said it shattered into pieces.
Don't read into that as poor quality, he may have sucked dirt or water into it, he was new and liked to ride at atv parks. I've seen another one do the same thing because of a hole in the air filter.

|

1/26/2018 9:02 AM

As long as it isn't a Namura you should be fine. I've ran every brand out there at one time or another and haven;t seen a piston related failure in years. I think the advent of plated cylinders helped a bunch in piston life...........expansion rates and such

|

1/26/2018 9:21 AM

motomike894 wrote:

In my two strokes I always used Pro X with no issues, sometimes OEM, the cast pistons seem to hold up better in my experience.

I will never run a cast piston in my two stroke. Have seen too many shatter like glass. They are fine if changed often, but lead to catastrophe if not changed on a strict interval.

There is a reason all high horsepower applications use forged...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/26/2018 9:42 AM

motomike894 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

I will never run a cast piston in my two stroke. Have seen too many shatter like glass. They are fine if changed often, but lead to catastrophe if not changed on a strict interval.

There is a reason all high horsepower applications use forged...

That's weird I have never had that issue in my life, maybe I just got lucky I guess, I never had an issue with a forged one either I have had to use them a few times when Pro X didn't have one in stock.

|

1/26/2018 3:27 PM

Honestly now days any reputable brand will be fine (i.e. avoid namura). I still prefer to stick to oem or prox though.

|

2003 CR250R - 2006 KX250 (freessshhhh)

1/26/2018 5:12 PM

crc245 wrote:

Aren’t they the same thing?

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

1/26/2018 7:27 PM

Oem/ pro-x...don’t use wiseco its straight garbage

|

1/26/2018 8:09 PM

crc245 wrote:

kzizok wrote:

Aren’t they the same thing?

I believe so, just depends whichever I can get cheaper at the time!

|

1/27/2018 4:24 PM

Wiseco is forged so its stronger than the OEM cast.

|

1/27/2018 5:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2018 5:53 PM

I've had good results with cast Vertex "B" in Honda "A" cylinders on CR125R units... But I change them at roughly 20-25 hours and I am fat and slow. Done this twice. I have used the Vertex "STD" and "Race" 53.93 pistons with equal success. Bore/ring end gap/squish were GTG. They look great when I toss them. Here is a new Vertex "Race" unit, IIRC. A bit different than the all-over grey/gray coated Vertex "STD":

Photo

Next up is a Wiseco "Racer Elite" for latest (Re)build. Of course, measuring fitment is key, but Wiseco isn't "garbage" by any means if you measure/fit/adjust accordingly. Cast or forged, warm 'em up good before you roll out hard, always.

Additionally, clean up your shit before you open and work on the guts. I have seen so many "Woe is me" threads wondering why a simple piston replacement on a filthy unit "ruined my engine"

|

1/27/2018 5:25 PM

Either are fine. You can get more hours out of a forged piston but on a 125 you will want to keep the rings fresh anyway. Any piston should be changed every second set of rings.
I usually run pro x pistons in both my wifes yz 125 and my yz 250. Just can't push the intervals on the 250 with a cast piston as far as a forged one will go

|

1/28/2018 7:57 AM

Vertex for me. Have gone 80+ hours on them on a 300xc multiple times with no issues whatsoever. I have never had issues with Wiseco either.m, but have more experience with Vertex.

|

1/29/2018 2:05 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

I rebuilt a yz125 with a pro-x piston, ran good for me 5-6 rides. Sold it and within a few weeks 1-2 rides the guy said it shattered into pieces.
Don't read into that as poor quality, he may have sucked dirt or water into it, he was new and liked to ride at atv parks. I've seen another one do the same thing because of a hole in the air filter.

The problem with these stories is you dont know why it shattered. Most likely mechanic error or just pure abuse or neglect or some sort.

|

1/29/2018 5:00 PM

I used to work at wiseco, great place, great people, great product made here in Ohio.
Nuff said

|