FCP Engine Mount Kits to Improve Handling --- Do They Work?

Rider 5280
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2022 7:01am
Guys - I'm after some input.

For those of you that have tried the FCP engine mount kits designed to improve handling, how did you like them?

I'm considering these kits for my 2016 YZ250F and 2020 YZ450F, but any and all inputs ARE WELCOME!!!

Here are the kits I am considering:
https://fcpracing.com/product/yamaha-yz450f-fx-2020/ --- $429
https://fcpracing.com/product/yamaha-yz250f-2014-2018/ --- $289

I look forward to hearing about your experiences!
|
Rickyisms
2/27/2021 8:11pm
Not FCP stuff, but I did test the OE stock steel engine hangers that came on my bike (16 125SX) vs the aluminum ones they used in the later years. The steel ones absorbed chop much better at the end of the day. The aluminum ones were “firmer” and weren’t bad in the beginning of the day when the track was nice, though when the track got rough I felt a much stiffer feeling through the seat, pegs, and frame when landing jumps.
Rider 5280
2/28/2021 7:59am
Right there tells me "hmmm ... so highly engineered kits to do this probably have this effect and then some." Thanks!

Keep it coming boys!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/28/2021 8:50pm
I’ve run works chassis lab mounts and FCP on my KTM.

They definitely can change the feel of your bike. Depending if you ride soft loamy dirt or more hard pack dry tracks it could change which kit you want.

Also when you actually try them, install them at the track after doing 2-3 moto of the stock stuff. Much better way to feel the difference.
Rider 5280
3/1/2021 7:44am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2021 8:12am
Great idea + input CarlinoJoeVideo, thanks. I'll definitely go your route with my experiments/comparison of stock vs. FCP.

*** So I just learned that there's an FCP (Factory Chassis Parts) company and a WCL (Work Chassis Lab) company that both make specialty engine mounts to improve handling … I think I thought they were the same company until just now … any idea which of these companies knows their stuff better? ***

The Shop

yz133rider
3/1/2021 3:43pm
I can’t give a ton of feedback but what I do know is this.

I had an 18 rmz450. I ordered works chassis labs mounts for.

The upper mounts arrived weeks before the front or lower mounts arrived.

So I rode it stock/stock , wcl uppers/stock lowers, and then wcl/wcl

The lowers had the option for soft and medium.

I chose soft as I wanted to feel the difference and it not just be something tiny, that you could kind of maybe feel.

Well I liked it wjth the wcl uppers and stock lowers the best.

With that combo I felt it softened up the feedback to my hands and body thru harsh chop and landings without changing anything else negatively.

With the soft lowers and the uppers installed I felt it had a bit of a wallowy feel when the bike was leaned over and hitting bumps, I could feel what felt like it loading up and then springing back. Not confidence inspiring.

But that is most likely exactly why they offered the soft and medium lowers, and me being a heavier rider only riding Moto, was probably not the ideal choice choosing the soft lower.

So they definitly make changes, and sometimes not all positive.

crc245
3/2/2021 8:36pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Great idea + input CarlinoJoeVideo, thanks. I'll definitely go your route with my experiments/comparison of stock vs. FCP. *** So I just learned that there's an...
Great idea + input CarlinoJoeVideo, thanks. I'll definitely go your route with my experiments/comparison of stock vs. FCP.

*** So I just learned that there's an FCP (Factory Chassis Parts) company and a WCL (Work Chassis Lab) company that both make specialty engine mounts to improve handling … I think I thought they were the same company until just now … any idea which of these companies knows their stuff better? ***

Star Yamaha knows their stuff (especially with the 250F's), and they currently run WCL...

https://workschassislab.myshopify.com/

yzf162
3/2/2021 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2021 11:08pm
Also look into the wr and yzfx motor mounts they are thinner (4mm vs 6mm) and give more flex. Way cheaper to. I plan on trying them out this year on my 18
Rider 5280
3/3/2021 11:36am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2021 11:00pm
Doing a teeny bit of research per yzf162's excellent suggestion, I'll be trying 2021 YZ450FX mounts on my 2020 YZ450F mx bike to get a feel for what type of handling changes the WCL/FCP specialty kits will bring.

So, it looks like I'm looking at:
(2 8 $8.46) + ($10.64) + ($9.84) = $37.40 to try a complete set of new mounts … ($37.40)/($430) = ~ 9% of FCP kit.

So, a GREAT suggestion - much appreciated, I'll let you guys know what I find out with this experiment.

Lastly, note that I 100000% respect the R&D that goes into development of products like the engine mounts from WCL/FCP, so if I see a positive/large difference with the YZ450FX parts, I'll likely buy WCL or FCP for that extra level of performance and I will again share the delta.

4/2/2021 2:52pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Doing a teeny bit of research per yzf162's excellent suggestion, I'll be trying 2021 YZ450FX mounts on my 2020 YZ450F mx bike to get a feel...
Doing a teeny bit of research per yzf162's excellent suggestion, I'll be trying 2021 YZ450FX mounts on my 2020 YZ450F mx bike to get a feel for what type of handling changes the WCL/FCP specialty kits will bring.

(2 8 $8.46) + ($10.64) + ($9.84) = $37.40 to try a complete set of new mounts … ($37.40)/($430) = ~ 9% of FCP kit.

So, a GREAT suggestion - much appreciated, I'll let you guys know what I find out with this experiment.

Lastly, note that I 100000% respect the R&D that goes into development of products like the engine mounts from WCL/FCP, so if I see a positive/large difference with the YZ450FX parts, I'll likely buy WCL or FCP for that extra level of performance and I will again share the delta.

have you gotten a chance to try the new mounts?
Paw Paw 271
4/2/2021 4:03pm
Dr. D's kit for the 450 is a great Improvement over stock, but the one for the 250 is not really needed.

Paw Paw
Rider 5280
4/2/2021 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2021 5:04pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Doing a teeny bit of research per yzf162's excellent suggestion, I'll be trying 2021 YZ450FX mounts on my 2020 YZ450F mx bike to get a feel...

have you gotten a chance to try the new mounts?
When I went to order they were on mega backorder, so I put the project on the back burner.

I may just purchase the FCPs once there is a sale since my time to ride/experiment is quite limited.
spimx
4/2/2021 5:42pm
I got them, they look cool
Rider 5280
4/2/2021 6:23pm
spimx wrote:
I got them, they look cool
How about the performance, what difference did you notice?
Mike 13
Fantasy
314th
4/3/2021 10:33am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2021 10:34am
It took the vibration out of the bars and pegs on my 21 Husky FC 450. I recommend if are having the same irritating vibration on your Husky.
4/3/2021 4:42pm
How do you know what stiffness mounts to get. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a stiffer mount.
Rider 5280
6/4/2021 8:29am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2021 11:12pm
OK, in the interest of time, I just went and purchased a couple sets of FCP mounts for my bikes.

Kris at FCP was super easy to work with, gave me torque settings to try, and was just so customer service oriented I decided against my more time-consuming OEM mount experiments (had planned to try the thinner 450FX mounts). Moto companies that are easy to work with will get my money dang near every time!

I'll drop my thoughts in here later this summer once I have a chance to try them out.

P.S. I tried to give WCL some business, too, but after multiple attempts to get them to respond, I gave up. No one ever got back to me.
6/12/2021 2:20pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
OK, in the interest of time, I just went and purchased a couple sets of FCP mounts for my bikes. Kris at FCP was super easy...
OK, in the interest of time, I just went and purchased a couple sets of FCP mounts for my bikes.

Kris at FCP was super easy to work with, gave me torque settings to try, and was just so customer service oriented I decided against my more time-consuming OEM mount experiments (had planned to try the thinner 450FX mounts). Moto companies that are easy to work with will get my money dang near every time!

I'll drop my thoughts in here later this summer once I have a chance to try them out.

P.S. I tried to give WCL some business, too, but after multiple attempts to get them to respond, I gave up. No one ever got back to me.
let me know how you feel about the mounts
Rider 5280
6/7/2022 8:34am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2022 10:54pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
OK, in the interest of time, I just went and purchased a couple sets of FCP mounts for my bikes. Kris at FCP was super easy...

OK ... I'm a "better late than never" guy, so here's my ride review of the FCP mounts on a 2020 YZ450F:

(1) Install does require removal of the exhaust system (no biggie - I was installing a new exhaust)

(2) Install does require removal of a coolant hose (no biggie - I was replacing coolant with Engine Ice)

(3) FCP recommends you torque the UPPER hangers up to 5 foot-pounds LESS than their spec if you want a slightly softer feel. The FCP specs are FRONT: 25 and 40 ft-lb, UPPER: 25 and 33 ft-lb ---> I went with FRONT: 25/40, UPPER: 22.5/30

(4) Ride review: The bike is slightly softer feeling/more forgiving. As far as cornering accuracy, for me it was hard to tell, but it wasn't worse. Maybe slightly better, but the biggest overall improvement was the overall softening effect. They didn't remove accuracy of the chassis, just made it more tolerant of track debris and rider mistakes - which I was seeking.

Would I purchase them again? I'm on-the-fence. I think the late-model YZ250F/YZ450F bikes are less improved with the mounts than some KTMs, Hondas, and Suzukis.

What would I do different? In my opinion --- on the 2020 YZ450F --- this product is for riders who are pretty good who can push their bikes more than I can and get the frame to flex in ways that I don't where the benefits begin to appear. For my riding level (Vet B/C, 175 lbs), I'd try the Yamaha FX model mounts first to see if their additional softness is "good enough" for the $$$. If the FX mounts are going in the direction you like, then I would purchase the FCP mounts, as they are engineered even further.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
6/7/2022 11:49am
I am an extremely sensitive rider when it comes to feedback. Handlebar placement, front end alignment, front end feel, suspension, overall grip of machine to the track. I am very "in tune" with what I am doing on the track.

I got the WCL mounts for my 19 Honda 250. Could feel the difference immediately in the Ti front mounts. Could feel the tire much better. Mind blowing amount of feel given with a piece of metal. I could feel when the tire was just about to slip and reel it back in and not eat it. The top mounts made the bike feel much better coming out of corners with choppy accel bumps. Helped with lean in a touch. Would I get them again? Absolutely.

I plan on getting some for my 21 YZ250F eventually. Rode this bike bone stock for a year and now year 2, I am looking to make some changes. Suspension is getting done in the next couple weeks, engine mounts will probably come after. Then after that, probably wont do anything other than tires.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
6/12/2022 7:01pm
FYI - One of the local hare scrambles racers recommended reducing the engine mount bolt torque by 5 ft-lbs on my 2020 KX450, I tried it and it seems much better/softer/less impacts on rough tracks.
Yeti831
6/12/2022 7:34pm
I run a similar setup on my ‘21 crf450: soft WCL uppers with oem lowers. It does feel loose in sand but the chassis is very forgiving in hard pack chatter, especially at corner entry.
GG121
6/13/2022 11:18am
Do engine mount changes make as much of a difference on 2 strokes vs 4 strokes?
Rider 5280
7/9/2022 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2022 9:28pm
Rider 5280 wrote:

Rider 5280 wrote:
OK ... I'm a "better late than never" guy, so here's my ride review of the FCP mounts on a 2020 YZ450F: (1) Install does require...
OK ... I'm a "better late than never" guy, so here's my ride review of the FCP mounts on a 2020 YZ450F:

(1) Install does require removal of the exhaust system (no biggie - I was installing a new exhaust)

(2) Install does require removal of a coolant hose (no biggie - I was replacing coolant with Engine Ice)

(3) FCP recommends you torque the UPPER hangers up to 5 foot-pounds LESS than their spec if you want a slightly softer feel. The FCP specs are FRONT: 25 and 40 ft-lb, UPPER: 25 and 33 ft-lb ---> I went with FRONT: 25/40, UPPER: 22.5/30

(4) Ride review: The bike is slightly softer feeling/more forgiving. As far as cornering accuracy, for me it was hard to tell, but it wasn't worse. Maybe slightly better, but the biggest overall improvement was the overall softening effect. They didn't remove accuracy of the chassis, just made it more tolerant of track debris and rider mistakes - which I was seeking.

Would I purchase them again? I'm on-the-fence. I think the late-model YZ250F/YZ450F bikes are less improved with the mounts than some KTMs, Hondas, and Suzukis.

What would I do different? In my opinion --- on the 2020 YZ450F --- this product is for riders who are pretty good who can push their bikes more than I can and get the frame to flex in ways that I don't where the benefits begin to appear. For my riding level (Vet B/C, 175 lbs), I'd try the Yamaha FX model mounts first to see if their additional softness is "good enough" for the $$$. If the FX mounts are going in the direction you like, then I would purchase the FCP mounts, as they are engineered even further.
I installed the FCP titanium mount kit on my 2016 YZ250F (lower titanium engine mounts/plates and a titanium bolt) this weekend and the result was MUCH MORE noticeable than on the 2020-2022 YZ450F.

Why? I can only guess that the stock hardware replaced on the 2016 YZ250F was waaaaay beefier so there was a lot of room for improvement. Like almost 2x thicker.

The result? A much more forgiving front end and much better steering.

Summary:
It seems some bikes benefit dramatically from these kits, some bikes less so, but in both cases I saw improvement. For the bikes that really benefit: WOW, really nice improvement.

Unproven tip:
It seems the more different the aftermarket mounts are than the OEM design (and/or the longer the bracket span), the more change you can expect to feel. Earth shattering tip? Nope, but it's a layman's tip if you're on-the-fence ... on a sample of 2, so take it for what it's worth ($720 for both bikes in this case).
Rider 5280
7/9/2022 11:13pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
OK ... I'm a "better late than never" guy, so here's my ride review of the FCP mounts on a 2020 YZ450F: (1) Install does require...

Rider 5280 wrote:
I installed the FCP titanium mount kit on my 2016 YZ250F (lower titanium engine mounts/plates and a titanium bolt) this weekend and the result was MUCH...
I installed the FCP titanium mount kit on my 2016 YZ250F (lower titanium engine mounts/plates and a titanium bolt) this weekend and the result was MUCH MORE noticeable than on the 2020-2022 YZ450F.

Why? I can only guess that the stock hardware replaced on the 2016 YZ250F was waaaaay beefier so there was a lot of room for improvement. Like almost 2x thicker.

Summary:
It seems some bikes benefit dramatically from these kits, some bikes less so, but in both cases I saw improvement. For the bikes that really benefit: WOW, really nice improvement.

Unproven tip:
It seems the more different the aftermarket mounts are than the OEM design (and/or the longer the bracket span), the more change you can expect to feel. Earth shattering tip? Nope, but it's a layman's tip if you're on-the-fence ... on a sample of 2, so take it for what it's worth ($720 for both bikes in this case).
I can attest to these benefits being real on the 2014-2018 YZ250F:

Rider 5280
7/9/2022 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2022 9:19pm
Rider 5280 wrote:

Rider 5280 wrote:
I installed the FCP titanium mount kit on my 2016 YZ250F (lower titanium engine mounts/plates and a titanium bolt) this weekend and the result was MUCH...

Summary:

Unproven tip:
Rider 5280 wrote:
I can attest to these benefits being real on the 2014-2018 YZ250F: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/09/558833/s1200_Screenshot_20220710_001029_Chrome.jpg[/img]
I can attest to these benefits being real on the 2014-2018 YZ250F:

Finally, for me, on the 2020-2022 YZ450F, I feel I got ~ 1/3 of the benefit that I felt on the 2014-2018 YZ250F. Still a nice improvement, just not as drastic.

Comparison test complete (enough)!
MX558
7/18/2022 2:19am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2022 2:20am
It would be worth it if they reduce the vibration on the 22 KTMs. These things vibrate like an old CR500
Rider 5280
7/19/2022 8:42am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2022 8:47am
MX558 wrote:
It would be worth it if they reduce the vibration on the 22 KTMs. These things vibrate like an old CR500
Tell us more here please ... how bad are we talking on the vibration levels? Like your hands and feet go numb in 15 minutes?

Getting curious about KTMs as I gear up to purchase one in the next year some time and wondering if I ***NEED*** FCP engine mounts + MAKO 360 bar mounts + Pro Taper ACP bars + FasstCo Impact pegs. I am an office jockey who types more than rides, so my baby soft skin and wimpiness need a lot of attention.
bvm111
7/20/2022 2:22pm
Not sure about the vibration comment, neither my 20.5 FE 450 or my current 21 350 SXF vibrate any more than any other 4 stroke I have ridden.

My 2006 KX250 will make your hands go pins and needles though!

Post a reply to: FCP Engine Mount Kits to Improve Handling --- Do They Work?

The Latest