Best '17 AER upgrade ?

riv187
12/28/2017 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2019 9:45pm
Hi, have a 17 TC250. Also have a 18 TC125. The newer 125 fork seems better on small bumps. Which upgrade to the 17s - MXtech mid-valve with shims $140,,,stock Husky 18 midvalve for $66,,or ???
|
m21racing
12/28/2017 7:37pm
Why can't you work with the 17?
Bruce372
12/28/2017 10:12pm
I wouldn't over think it, the 125 is a super light bike so not as challenging in the suspension
mxdoctor
12/28/2017 10:22pm
In my opinion the main improvement is the new air piston with reduced friction! Update your fork with this one, find a good setting that you perhaps can ride a little lower pressure and the fork will work fine! Did the same to my `17 FC 450 and I´m impressed how the fork performs now!
riv187
12/29/2017 7:59am
mxdoctor wrote:
In my opinion the main improvement is the new air piston with reduced friction! Update your fork with this one, find a good setting that you...
In my opinion the main improvement is the new air piston with reduced friction! Update your fork with this one, find a good setting that you perhaps can ride a little lower pressure and the fork will work fine! Did the same to my `17 FC 450 and I´m impressed how the fork performs now!
I have read about a different seal on piston, and was planning that on refresh. At this time I have 10hrs on the 17 250. I read where the new midvalve has been changed from 17 to 18, and it is definitely felt. I read MX1 and MXtech articles and in talking with PC end of last year they said they eliminated the free bleed and have shim settings that work. It seams the 3 are going in same direction. I played with air settings and am down at 132 on the 250,,,and 122 on 125.

Thanks for feedback.

The Shop

12/30/2017 9:25am
I brought the Suspension from my SX 150 MY 2016 to a WP Dealer in Austria 3 Weeks ago.
And he told me the best way is to make a Service and Update the Suspension with 2018 Parts.

A New Air Piston and a New Seal Head on the Cartrige.
New Seals on the Seperating Piston for Low Friction
replace two thick O-Rings on the Shock and 2018
Setup.

He told me i will be surprised how good the Suspension will work.
swatdoc
12/30/2017 4:13pm
MX Tech also has a Huck Valve setup for the damping side. I'd like to try that coupled with their leaf-spring mid valve setup, which also includes a KYB-like check valve. Then upgrade the air side with the new '18 parts. Maybe try the MXT A48R air chamber setup.
Bruce372
12/30/2017 4:51pm
swatdoc wrote:
MX Tech also has a Huck Valve setup for the damping side. I'd like to try that coupled with their leaf-spring mid valve setup, which also...
MX Tech also has a Huck Valve setup for the damping side. I'd like to try that coupled with their leaf-spring mid valve setup, which also includes a KYB-like check valve. Then upgrade the air side with the new '18 parts. Maybe try the MXT A48R air chamber setup.
It's amazing that MXT say air forks are too progressive then want to add in a huck valve to help bottoming.

Even more crazy they say air forks are too complex so they add in an extra chamber or 2 that requires yet more setup
riv187
12/31/2017 7:49am
Anyone have a picture of there 17-18 apart to show exactly the peices they changed? I stare at the microfiche thinking what should I order,,,,and not exactly sure.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/13

for the new mid valve, air piston with better seal less friction, and compression seal kit for less friction14,24,26 ????
BobPA
12/31/2017 9:53am
swatdoc wrote:
MX Tech also has a Huck Valve setup for the damping side. I'd like to try that coupled with their leaf-spring mid valve setup, which also...
Sounds wildly complicated.

It’s a two stroke, set your sag and hold her wide.
swatdoc
12/31/2017 5:44pm
The goal of the Huck valve is to make the bottoming resistance on the damping side like it should be - not relying on the extreme ramp-up of resistance on the air side. For those doing a spring conversion, the Huck valve would be very nice since a lot of the bottoming resistance is lost if you don't have the air any longer.

For the air side, the stock chamber has a very progressive ramping up of resistance, not a smooth, linear increase like a spring does. The A48R chamber helps make the air side more linear like a spring. Similar goal of either Enzo's remote reservoirs, or the old Yamaha speedo/tach forks.

The stock '17 AER fork's midvalve is a very simple design, and doesn't have any float. This makes for a harsher ride. I believe the '18 changes address this issue. Changing to the '18 midvalve or the MXT midvalve would both help the action of the forks.
Bruce372
1/1/2018 5:16pm
swatdoc wrote:
The goal of the Huck valve is to make the bottoming resistance on the damping side like it should be - not relying on the extreme...
The goal of the Huck valve is to make the bottoming resistance on the damping side like it should be - not relying on the extreme ramp-up of resistance on the air side. For those doing a spring conversion, the Huck valve would be very nice since a lot of the bottoming resistance is lost if you don't have the air any longer.

For the air side, the stock chamber has a very progressive ramping up of resistance, not a smooth, linear increase like a spring does. The A48R chamber helps make the air side more linear like a spring. Similar goal of either Enzo's remote reservoirs, or the old Yamaha speedo/tach forks.

The stock '17 AER fork's midvalve is a very simple design, and doesn't have any float. This makes for a harsher ride. I believe the '18 changes address this issue. Changing to the '18 midvalve or the MXT midvalve would both help the action of the forks.
I've got the MXT midvalve. On the practical side, It's got the advantage that it's metal vs the stock plastic piston, plus, it's got a lot more tuning options also.

That said I think It's over reaching its a performance upgrade. In hindsight I would have probably swapped out the new upgraded oem metal piston.

I've also got the tank, I bought it for practical reasons since it was supposed to come with a Schrader, but it didn't lol.

James Dunn won a emx250 round on revalved stock stuff so that says a lot.
opyguy
1/1/2018 5:53pm
I'm getting the FC aer performance done sometime this month, will report back when completed
m21racing
1/2/2018 8:10am
swatdoc wrote:
The goal of the Huck valve is to make the bottoming resistance on the damping side like it should be - not relying on the extreme...

Bruce372 wrote:
I've got the MXT midvalve. On the practical side, It's got the advantage that it's metal vs the stock plastic piston, plus, it's got a lot...
I've got the MXT midvalve. On the practical side, It's got the advantage that it's metal vs the stock plastic piston, plus, it's got a lot more tuning options also.

That said I think It's over reaching its a performance upgrade. In hindsight I would have probably swapped out the new upgraded oem metal piston.

I've also got the tank, I bought it for practical reasons since it was supposed to come with a Schrader, but it didn't lol.

Yup, my good bud does his suspension. I've worked off stock mv, and have had good results. If anything, the air side upgraded seal would be about all the extra parts to use on an otherwise good fork.
riv187
1/5/2018 8:22am
swatdoc wrote:

Bruce372 wrote:
I've got the MXT midvalve. On the practical side, It's got the advantage that it's metal vs the stock plastic piston, plus, it's got a lot...

So I'll order the 2018 stock midvalve. Is the compression valve above any different on 18 vs 17 or is it a better seal with less stiction?and worth cahnging same time? I read the air piston has a different seal than the 17s quad ring....is that worth changing to improve action and reliability?
Thanks for inputs
Bruce372
1/5/2018 9:36am
swatdoc wrote:

Bruce372 wrote:

riv187 wrote:
So I'll order the 2018 stock midvalve. Is the compression valve above any different on 18 vs 17 or is it a better seal with less...
So I'll order the 2018 stock midvalve. Is the compression valve above any different on 18 vs 17 or is it a better seal with less stiction?and worth cahnging same time? I read the air piston has a different seal than the 17s quad ring....is that worth changing to improve action and reliability?
Thanks for inputs
I would just upgrade the air piston unless you want to mess around with the midvalve a lot. You might need to change the seal head on the air side as well?
Bruce372
1/14/2018 5:53pm
Does anyone have the part numbers to upgrade the 2017 fork to 2018 specs?
1/15/2018 2:48am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 2:50am
I’m lucky enough to have the same guy that did James Dunns Suspension do mine here in the UK.

Karl Anderson (KAS Suspension) really does work miracles with these forks.

I think he updated my forks last time and my forks feel amazing and it’s a very comfortable bike to ride thanks to the updates etc.

Craig
riv187
1/28/2018 2:30pm
I ordered the 18 midvalve,, showed 'most ship 5-7 days'...they have since delayed that 3 times now into February.
Bruce372
1/28/2018 5:45pm
opyguy wrote:
I'm getting the FC aer performance done sometime this month, will report back when completed
I'd be really interested to see what that upgrade actually is... any reports yet?
Bruce372
1/28/2018 5:46pm
I should have an MXT mid valve and shims for sale in a couple of weeks
Superdave19
1/28/2018 7:03pm
opyguy wrote:
Please do so!
opyguy
1/29/2018 3:52am
I Haven't shipped them yet, kids hoop and soccer taking up my time ( stupid kids). Will try to ship them out early next week, will report back.
riv187
1/29/2018 6:26am
Bruce372 wrote:
Id be interested in the MXtech mid valve
I maybe on hold with OEM vendor for months.
Braaaphole
1/29/2018 6:55pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Please shoot me a message with price when you're ready to sell them
1/29/2018 8:28pm
opyguy wrote:
I Haven't shipped them yet, kids hoop and soccer taking up my time ( stupid kids). Will try to ship them out early next week, will...
I Haven't shipped them yet, kids hoop and soccer taking up my time ( stupid kids). Will try to ship them out early next week, will report back.
Yeah, we are eagerly awaiting your report.
kwenske321
1/31/2018 8:03am
I’ll be getting me AER forks back from Factory Connection tomorrow. I had them update the internals to the 18 parts and do the performance kit. I should be able to test in the next week and I’ll give you guys an update. I had them convert back to air from their spring conversion. I was not a fan of their spring conversion and previous setting. They said their new performance kit makes a world of difference to the fork. I’ll keep y’all posted.
erik_94COBRA
1/31/2018 3:06pm
I bought a pair of CC forks from eBay and had Enzo revalve them. Very happy. No more fiddling with air pressures.
Bruce372
2/1/2018 10:28pm
Here is a 2018 midvalve next to the 2017. The lit comes with the metal base valve piston as well.

Post a reply to: Best '17 AER upgrade ?

The Latest