Best '17 AER upgrade ?

CSAR FE
4/12/2018 5:09pm
I got mine back from FC last week. Set up for an A class desert rider. I had them do the AER performance upgrade, updated 2018 parts, revalve fork and shock, and install x-trig/bladder kit on the shock. To put it simply, the suspension is amazing. The fork isn't harsh at all and moves very easily, but has great bottoming resistance. We have monster whoops out here in New Mexico, and this suspension soaks it right up. Worth every penny, and it is definitely better than the work they did on my TX300 before the 18 parts were available and before they were offering the "AER Performance Kit".
blaze 57
4/13/2018 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 2:51pm
CSAR FE wrote:
I got mine back from FC last week. Set up for an A class desert rider. I had them do the AER performance upgrade, updated 2018...
I got mine back from FC last week. Set up for an A class desert rider. I had them do the AER performance upgrade, updated 2018 parts, revalve fork and shock, and install x-trig/bladder kit on the shock. To put it simply, the suspension is amazing. The fork isn't harsh at all and moves very easily, but has great bottoming resistance. We have monster whoops out here in New Mexico, and this suspension soaks it right up. Worth every penny, and it is definitely better than the work they did on my TX300 before the 18 parts were available and before they were offering the "AER Performance Kit".
Good to hear CSAR you like FC's suspension on the AER performance mod. Its Friday and UPS still not here with my updated AER's and shock. Looks like next week mine will get here from FC but its not even 3pm..prayers for the brown truck soon. Yes I also had them do the shock bladder kit plus revalve shock for MX and desert combo. I'll give a review. This is a new 450 factory edition. The 17 and 18' forks on the regular 450sx were not as harsh like these new factory editions. FC has been fixing them though and has done several.
Bruce372
4/27/2018 6:43pm
I now have the mx tech mid valve kit for sale.
riv187
4/27/2018 7:07pm
Bruce372 wrote:
I now have the mx tech mid valve kit for sale. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/27/257945/s1200_20180427_183750.jpg[/img]
I now have the mx tech mid valve kit for sale.
Hi Bruce PM sent , brian riv187@tampabay.rr.com

The Shop

Superdave19
5/10/2018 7:40am
Sending mine out today- Damn expensive..hope it’s worth it
ama530
5/10/2018 8:10am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 8:20am
riv187 wrote:
Anyone have a picture of there 17-18 apart to show exactly the peices they changed? I stare at the microfiche thinking what should I order,,,,and not...
Anyone have a picture of there 17-18 apart to show exactly the peices they changed? I stare at the microfiche thinking what should I order,,,,and not exactly sure.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/13

for the new mid valve, air piston with better seal less friction, and compression seal kit for less friction14,24,26 ????
Here are a few pics when I did my upgrade showing the 18' parts. Hope this helps.
Piston set air fork D34 MY18 - Part # 131307014135 (Includes both the base and midvalve)
Spring rebound + spring guide - Part # 131307014134 (Air-side rebound spring assembly)
Hauptkolben dia34 inkl. Dichtung - Part # 131307014143 (Air-side piston)

riv187
5/10/2018 10:06am
AMA530 , I really appreciate you taking the time to take the pictures! I purchased the mid and compression valves. The pictures with shims,,,are those the stock shims from 17 put on the 18 valves? I read they eliminated the 'free' bleed- a undersized shim.
Brian
ama530
5/10/2018 12:43pm
No problem. I usually take pics so I have a reference. The shims are the 17 orientation. One thing about ordering the valves. You DO NOT get the 18 shim stacks with them. Just the valve bodies. For my FX350 and the rest of the off-road line, there was no real change in shim stack orientation. The mxers had some changes to the bleed shims. MXA went into detail on the changes for 18'. Unfortunately, the off-road models have a bevel washer and a check plate for the compression side of the midvalve. Not the typical stack with float that the FCs use..
blaze 57
5/10/2018 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 10:38pm
I had Factory Connection do both ends of my new 18' Factory Edition 450. The forks came valved way too harsh in stock form in chop, I like their AER performance mod. I have about two or three weeks into the new set-up and so far so good.
Have not had it on a real MX track yet for a real test other than my own VERY choppy and rutted out track and fine on that. Even out trail riding the forks are much better on roots and rocks than before the mods.
I had them do an off-road and MX valving combo. The shock got the bladder mod too.
STLSharky
8/8/2018 12:59pm
Best AER upgrade for me was the MX-Tech A48-R kit, which includes their mid valve with piston and shims. More info here, but it made it...
Best AER upgrade for me was the MX-Tech A48-R kit, which includes their mid valve with piston and shims. More info here, but it made it more plush, especially on harsher terrain, and still retains all of the positives of the air fork.

https://mx-tech.com/a48-r-air-system-kit/
https://mx-tech.com/blog/a48r-product-release/
Love to try that at Mendota Megacross Matt, what weight are you and do you go there?
MotoMatt_928
8/8/2018 1:14pm
Best AER upgrade for me was the MX-Tech A48-R kit, which includes their mid valve with piston and shims. More info here, but it made it...
Best AER upgrade for me was the MX-Tech A48-R kit, which includes their mid valve with piston and shims. More info here, but it made it more plush, especially on harsher terrain, and still retains all of the positives of the air fork.

https://mx-tech.com/a48-r-air-system-kit/
https://mx-tech.com/blog/a48r-product-release/
STLSharky wrote:
Love to try that at Mendota Megacross Matt, what weight are you and do you go there?
I am 170lbs without gear. And no, I do not go to Megacross, but am out at Joliet MX every Thursday night.
Bruce372
8/10/2018 11:09am
Hey matt928- did you ever ride motoland- ive ridden there a lot from 2005 when i moved to the midwest. I moved back to Cali and really miss that place- nothing like it here.
MotoMatt_928
8/10/2018 1:37pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Hey matt928- did you ever ride motoland- ive ridden there a lot from 2005 when i moved to the midwest. I moved back to Cali and...
Hey matt928- did you ever ride motoland- ive ridden there a lot from 2005 when i moved to the midwest. I moved back to Cali and really miss that place- nothing like it here.
Hey Bruce, yes I have. In fact we were just out there a few weeks ago, and are planning on going there again on 9/15 & 9/16, which is the last time I will be riding in the Midwest (I am moving to Florida on 9/28). I love sand tracks, and Motoland is my favorite, next to Sunset Ridge MX.
RF145
8/14/2018 10:20am
I now have two rides on my stock 2019 Husqvarna FC 350. First day was break in day and other than feeling that these were out and out best air forks (sorry 1976 Yamaha tach and speedo), I did not play with them at all and rode with Husky Factory settings that day. Still, much better then the stock 2016 KTM I last rode with air forks by a large margin.
Second ride, backed off the compression two clicks and thought I was on to something. Then I jumped on a 2017 Husky FC 350 with the Factory Connection spring conversion.......WAY better feel entering corners as far as feeling more planted and much more traction.
I am now in a forced two week break (my friends private track is closed for family gathering crap) and I will not ride again until 8/25/2018. I will drop two pounds of air to start, play with the compression a touch and make a decision on whether I can make these work or I will drop whatever it takes to get that Yamaha KYB SSS feel (Technical Touch is looking good).
I will say that even as good as the FC forks conversion felt, it was not as good as my 2006 YZ 250 fork.
Has anyone tried the new Ohlins? MXA tested them (online is where I saw this test) and they raved about them. I am "in tune" with most of what MXA feels as I have similar opinions as them since issue number one (yes, I am 60 years old). I just do not want to drop 3K without a second opinion.
mx317
8/14/2018 11:18am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 11:20am
RF145 wrote:
I now have two rides on my stock 2019 Husqvarna FC 350. First day was break in day and other than feeling that these were out...
I now have two rides on my stock 2019 Husqvarna FC 350. First day was break in day and other than feeling that these were out and out best air forks (sorry 1976 Yamaha tach and speedo), I did not play with them at all and rode with Husky Factory settings that day. Still, much better then the stock 2016 KTM I last rode with air forks by a large margin.
Second ride, backed off the compression two clicks and thought I was on to something. Then I jumped on a 2017 Husky FC 350 with the Factory Connection spring conversion.......WAY better feel entering corners as far as feeling more planted and much more traction.
I am now in a forced two week break (my friends private track is closed for family gathering crap) and I will not ride again until 8/25/2018. I will drop two pounds of air to start, play with the compression a touch and make a decision on whether I can make these work or I will drop whatever it takes to get that Yamaha KYB SSS feel (Technical Touch is looking good).
I will say that even as good as the FC forks conversion felt, it was not as good as my 2006 YZ 250 fork.
Has anyone tried the new Ohlins? MXA tested them (online is where I saw this test) and they raved about them. I am "in tune" with most of what MXA feels as I have similar opinions as them since issue number one (yes, I am 60 years old). I just do not want to drop 3K without a second opinion.
Spend the money with Factory Connection and their AER kit and revalve. I have a set of Cone Valves sitting in my garage now and I'm running the FC AER fork. If you really want a spring fork, they have a spring conversion kit for that fork. Funny, I just noticed the dog in your avatar lol.
paddyB745
8/14/2018 3:31pm
I had Ride JBI install his subvalve and revalve the forks along with installing the MXTech A48r kit and updating to the 2018 internals on my ‘17 TC250 and hands down it’s night and day better than stock. I’m able to run a lot less air pressure in the forks which makes them super plush over the small chop and handles the bigger bumps and hard landings like a champ still. He also worked his magic on my shock with the bladder conversion and MXTech triple adjuster. He’s also probably the easiest suspension tech I’ve ever talked to over the phone and always super helpful when it comes to troubleshooting or answering any questions.
blaze 57
8/14/2018 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 8:04pm
RF145 wrote:
I now have two rides on my stock 2019 Husqvarna FC 350. First day was break in day and other than feeling that these were out...
mx317 wrote:
Spend the money with Factory Connection and their AER kit and revalve. I have a set of Cone Valves sitting in my garage now and I'm...
Spend the money with Factory Connection and their AER kit and revalve. I have a set of Cone Valves sitting in my garage now and I'm running the FC AER fork. If you really want a spring fork, they have a spring conversion kit for that fork. Funny, I just noticed the dog in your avatar lol.
The Factory Connection AER kit is just plain awesome! We have two 450 Yamaha's here, one new (Son's) and a 12' (my old trusty bike) and riding them back to back and comparing the FC AER's I would have to say I like them better than the KYB spring forks. I almost went spring fork but not only saved $$ sticking to the AER's but have great forks and all the AER busy-ness and harshness in chop is pretty much vaporized.
Bruce372
8/14/2018 11:16pm
So does anyone have any pics of the nodded parts?
opyguy
8/15/2018 8:34am
Bruce372 wrote:

RF145
8/15/2018 1:24pm
paddyB745 wrote:
I had Ride JBI install his subvalve and revalve the forks along with installing the MXTech A48r kit and updating to the 2018 internals on my...
I had Ride JBI install his subvalve and revalve the forks along with installing the MXTech A48r kit and updating to the 2018 internals on my ‘17 TC250 and hands down it’s night and day better than stock. I’m able to run a lot less air pressure in the forks which makes them super plush over the small chop and handles the bigger bumps and hard landings like a champ still. He also worked his magic on my shock with the bladder conversion and MXTech triple adjuster. He’s also probably the easiest suspension tech I’ve ever talked to over the phone and always super helpful when it comes to troubleshooting or answering any questions.
paddyB, how much do you weigh & how tall are you? JB said based on my weight and height (230/6'4"), I should really consider the spring conversion. I am curious if you might also be a Clydesdale and if your feedback is based off numbers similar to mine.

Thank you.
Bruce372
8/15/2018 1:53pm
Bruce372 wrote:
opyguy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/15/280739/s1200_EB14D0C1_D1CB_4E48_AD45_F63659BCAC27.jpg[/img]

Thanks dude, but that just looks like the parts removed from the 17 to 18 upgrade.

Apart from the bigger spring. I wonder if that's the ics spring and they are just reducing its rate to get it to settle
paddyB745
8/15/2018 3:24pm
paddyB745 wrote:
I had Ride JBI install his subvalve and revalve the forks along with installing the MXTech A48r kit and updating to the 2018 internals on my...
RF145 wrote:
paddyB, how much do you weigh & how tall are you? JB said based on my weight and height (230/6'4"), I should really consider the spring...
paddyB, how much do you weigh & how tall are you? JB said based on my weight and height (230/6'4"), I should really consider the spring conversion. I am curious if you might also be a Clydesdale and if your feedback is based off numbers similar to mine.

Thank you.
I’m 6ft 185lbs in gear.
RF145
8/15/2018 3:43pm
paddyB745 wrote:
RF145 wrote:
paddyB, how much do you weigh & how tall are you? JB said based on my weight and height (230/6'4"), I should really consider the spring...

Thank you.
paddyB745 wrote:
I’m 6ft 185lbs in gear.
Thank you. I am going on a diet.
opyguy
8/15/2018 6:32pm
Bruce372 wrote:
opyguy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/15/280739/s1200_EB14D0C1_D1CB_4E48_AD45_F63659BCAC27.jpg[/img]

Bruce372 wrote:
Thanks dude, but that just looks like the parts removed from the 17 to 18 upgrade. Apart from the bigger spring. I wonder if that's the...
Thanks dude, but that just looks like the parts removed from the 17 to 18 upgrade.

Apart from the bigger spring. I wonder if that's the ics spring and they are just reducing its rate to get it to settle
I also had the revalue done, that’s what came back....
Btw, I have 51 hours on the bike, rebuild shock ?
Just curious when Shock should be redone (Fc revalve has 17 hours on it)
2/26/2019 10:24pm
riv187 wrote:
I recieved my '18 mid vlave,with base valve.I was expecting it to come with all shims,,,,but only nut , 2 washers, and that base valve weird...
I recieved my '18 mid vlave,with base valve.I was expecting it to come with all shims,,,,but only nut , 2 washers, and that base valve weird plate. To get the 18s valving change do I need different shims? I'd think so to block off flow what the magazines said was 'free bleed',,,,anyone have the 18s shim stacks wrote down?

Did you ever find out what 2018 shims are needed to use for the 2017 mid valve on the 2017 TC 125?

I bought the 2018 parts, but of course shims not included and I cannot find anywhere info on what shims to leave off the 2017 and what shims to add.

Thanks for any help!!
riv187
2/27/2019 4:48am
riv187 wrote:
I recieved my '18 mid vlave,with base valve.I was expecting it to come with all shims,,,,but only nut , 2 washers, and that base valve weird...
I recieved my '18 mid vlave,with base valve.I was expecting it to come with all shims,,,,but only nut , 2 washers, and that base valve weird plate. To get the 18s valving change do I need different shims? I'd think so to block off flow what the magazines said was 'free bleed',,,,anyone have the 18s shim stacks wrote down?

Did you ever find out what 2018 shims are needed to use for the 2017 mid valve on the 2017 TC 125? I bought the 2018...
Did you ever find out what 2018 shims are needed to use for the 2017 mid valve on the 2017 TC 125?

I bought the 2018 parts, but of course shims not included and I cannot find anywhere info on what shims to leave off the 2017 and what shims to add.

Thanks for any help!!
Robert, Not yet. I have 2 huskys, 17 250 and 18 125. They are not my primary race bikes,,so they are both low time(8&12 hr) and haven't warranted rebuild yet to make the change and see what the shim stack is. I will be in next month and not forget to post. If anyone else could help sooner with shim stack pleeeeese chime in!
Bruce372
6/4/2019 8:14pm
Does anyone with a 2 stroke that has done this conversion still have the check plate they took off?

Thanks
15tc150
6/4/2019 9:45pm
Kyb sss internals...... never complain again

Post a reply to: Best '17 AER upgrade ?

The Latest