News sources

ATKpilot99
9/17/2022 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 7:55am
Where does everyone get their news ? Curious as there is such strong opinions here and everyone thinks they're right . I personally don't follow any news source. I go with the flow and I live a pretty good life . Have at it .
|
500 Mike
9/17/2022 6:32pm
Unfortunately, I don't believe much of what any of them say anymore. Used to check Fox News for updates but don't believe a lot of what they say anymore. No idea where to find the truth these days.
ATKpilot99
9/17/2022 6:44pm
500 Mike wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't believe much of what any of them say anymore. Used to check Fox News for updates but don't believe a lot of what...
Unfortunately, I don't believe much of what any of them say anymore. Used to check Fox News for updates but don't believe a lot of what they say anymore. No idea where to find the truth these days.
That's what I think . It's all suspect .
Joey_Bridges
9/17/2022 6:48pm
Legit question.
But I can see it turning into a pissing match as everyone berates the other's info sources.

I'll just say,
zero in the way of the DC/New York based cable television news channels.

ATKpilot99
9/17/2022 7:01pm
Legit question. But I can see it turning into a pissing match as everyone berates the other's info sources. I'll just say, zero in the way...
Legit question.
But I can see it turning into a pissing match as everyone berates the other's info sources.

I'll just say,
zero in the way of the DC/New York based cable television news channels.

I'd have to agree . So really all there is is sources where people get what they want to hear . Where is the real truth ?

The Shop

Kevo881
9/17/2022 7:03pm
I usually do independent podcasts. Timcast IRL is pretty legit. Everyone has biases, but Tim does a pretty good job of trying to get the truth. His website is news guard certified as well.
AZ35
Fantasy
489th
9/17/2022 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2022 7:10pm
It is all biased to what you want to hear, they know that if they try to stay truly neutral that is boring and people will not come back.

People want to be affirmed in their thoughts, social media is the driver in the change in all media.

It is all about "likes" and "followers" rather than any rational version of the actual "2 sides to every story" truth.

Fox covered for Trump for the most part (and slams Biden), everyone else covers for Biden almost like it is a scripted memo sent out daily (and still slams Trump daily even though he is not president anymore).
TXDirt
9/17/2022 7:19pm
I don’t watch news. Especially the talking heads on any of the major media networks. Don’t watch local news either.

I read news on the internet from many different sources. I don’t read editorials. I read news. I want just facts. Not opinions. I can form my own opinion.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
9/17/2022 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2022 11:25pm
internationally I find the the Guardian out of the uk good and Al Jezzerra quite good on some stuff as well,

the USA is a nightmare with most main stream stuff being one side or another, (which is the same as it is here in NZ)
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
9/18/2022 2:32am
Fox, CNN, BBC and News24 are my main go to sights for News. Fox and CNN often contradict each other.....between the lot I form my own opinion of what's going on. I only read the news when I'm really bored.

News24 is South African news and they do cover international stuff.

Read the damn news if you want to ruin a perfectly good day. I try stay away as much as I can.
philG
9/18/2022 5:49am
While it would be nice to ' just ignore it and crack and enjoy yourself' , they rely on the fact that good people , who just want to be left alone, do nothing.

There is no proper news any more, because all the media outlets that we get to see are owned by the same people.

6 Companies own 95% of what you get to see in the MSM,and they are all funded by the same people.

There are some great content providers out there , as has been mentioned, TimCast is decent, and a lot of the guys who have fallen out of favour, like Bill O'Reilly , Glen Beck etc, plus a few others.

Its easy to know who is over the target, by who is going out of their mind trying to get people banned or cancelled .

Its funny when things make their way to MSM, as 'breaking news' that has been common knowledge for years.

Joey_Bridges
9/18/2022 6:25am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 6:26am
philG wrote:
While it would be nice to ' just ignore it and crack and enjoy yourself' , they rely on the fact that good people , who...
While it would be nice to ' just ignore it and crack and enjoy yourself' , they rely on the fact that good people , who just want to be left alone, do nothing.

There is no proper news any more, because all the media outlets that we get to see are owned by the same people.

6 Companies own 95% of what you get to see in the MSM,and they are all funded by the same people.

There are some great content providers out there , as has been mentioned, TimCast is decent, and a lot of the guys who have fallen out of favour, like Bill O'Reilly , Glen Beck etc, plus a few others.

Its easy to know who is over the target, by who is going out of their mind trying to get people banned or cancelled .

Its funny when things make their way to MSM, as 'breaking news' that has been common knowledge for years.

Something that I noticed years ago is,
When the national cable news networks grab a hold of a local/regional story/incident that you happen to know a great deal about, and they don't know shit about it because it's outside of their concrete jungle, and they completely twist it into something more, or less, than it truly is.
Or completely misrepresent the entire story by interjecting subtle opinions.
Viewers then "form an opinion" based on incorrect information.

Makes you view any, and everything, they report on with a very jaundice eye.

Joey_Bridges
9/18/2022 6:31am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 6:33am
TXDirt wrote:
I don’t watch news. Especially the talking heads on any of the major media networks. Don’t watch local news either. I read news on the internet...
I don’t watch news. Especially the talking heads on any of the major media networks. Don’t watch local news either.

I read news on the internet from many different sources. I don’t read editorials. I read news. I want just facts. Not opinions. I can form my own opinion.
Haven't watched local news in well over a decade.
It's nothing more than weather fearmongering, ball sports, and traffic reports, for their marketing dept to sell air time to, car dealerships, insurance companies and ambulance chasing attorneys.

"This report brought to you by........"
philG
9/18/2022 7:42am
philG wrote:
While it would be nice to ' just ignore it and crack and enjoy yourself' , they rely on the fact that good people , who...

Something that I noticed years ago is, When the national cable news networks grab a hold of a local/regional story/incident that you happen to know a...
Something that I noticed years ago is,
When the national cable news networks grab a hold of a local/regional story/incident that you happen to know a great deal about, and they don't know shit about it because it's outside of their concrete jungle, and they completely twist it into something more, or less, than it truly is.
Or completely misrepresent the entire story by interjecting subtle opinions.
Viewers then "form an opinion" based on incorrect information.

Makes you view any, and everything, they report on with a very jaundice eye.

If there is anything in the news you are personally involved in, it is ALWAYS wrong..

So you have to apply that to everything else too.

And when they are trying so hard to tell you, you know what is going on.
APLMAN99
9/18/2022 7:44am
philG wrote:

This is a perfect example of the real problem with how we get our news.

When people talk about their preferred news sources, they aren’t really even talking about news. They are talking about opinion and commentary sources that match their preconceived notions, like Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck…..
philG
9/18/2022 8:29am
philG wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
This is a perfect example of the real problem with how we get our news. When people talk about their preferred news sources, they aren’t really...

When people talk about their preferred news sources, they aren’t really even talking about news. They are talking about opinion and commentary sources that match their preconceived notions, like Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck…..
Its the fact they deal with things others dont, what they tell you is ireelevant, the fact the cover it is enough.

What you doing for facts now Cuomo and Stelter are gone?
NvHermit
Fantasy
4198th
9/18/2022 8:31am
I only watch local NBC news at 5am and 5-6pm so I know how to plan my day. I’m not interested in what anyone else is doing or their opinions I’m just concerned about me.

I’m gonna fill my last twenty years living my best life and not worrying about things out of my control.
borg
9/18/2022 8:33am
I am going to assume that ATK wants to know where I get political news. Not sports scores. I check the Drudge Report for headlines maybe every other day or so. If something catches my eye, I will check a couple of news sites like AP, ABC, NBC or whoever has a staff reporter covering the story in print version. I rarely click on a video link. If I want an opinion I check with TK news. If George Will has a column on it, I will read it.

I get zero political news from the TV in any form.

I used to listen to radio politics while in my truck but the station I listened to got rid of anybody that wasn't a total Trump brown nose. When they replaced Michael Medved with Sebastian Gorka I quit listening to radio politics.

95% of my political news consumption is for entertainment now. The other 5% is stuff that I might need to know about.
Politics claims maybe 5 to 10 minutes a day of my time depending on events.
plowboy
9/18/2022 10:34am
I think we've forgotten that "news" is simple and formulaic. Who, what, where, when...that's it. The "why" of a story is only part of the news if there is a confession by the subject of the report.

If your choice of outlet tries to tell you more than the 4 W's...you are being led by the nose.

I don't want confirmation of my bias...I just want the facts. It will either strengthen my opinion or change it.

Honestly, I trust the BBC as traditional news reporting as much as anyone.
philG
9/18/2022 10:49am
plowboy wrote:
I think we've forgotten that "news" is simple and formulaic. Who, what, where, when...that's it. The "why" of a story is only part of the news...
I think we've forgotten that "news" is simple and formulaic. Who, what, where, when...that's it. The "why" of a story is only part of the news if there is a confession by the subject of the report.

If your choice of outlet tries to tell you more than the 4 W's...you are being led by the nose.

I don't want confirmation of my bias...I just want the facts. It will either strengthen my opinion or change it.

Honestly, I trust the BBC as traditional news reporting as much as anyone.
The BBC is the worst of the lot, they have been left biased for ages , and have been getting worse and worse for years..

GB News here is worth a look , there are some great contributors, and some shit ones, which , guess what, gives it some balance.

Its all about the money. Always,
APLMAN99
9/18/2022 11:10am
philG wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
This is a perfect example of the real problem with how we get our news. When people talk about their preferred news sources, they aren’t really...

philG wrote:
Its the fact they deal with things others dont, what they tell you is ireelevant, the fact the cover it is enough. What you doing for...
Its the fact they deal with things others dont, what they tell you is ireelevant, the fact the cover it is enough.

What you doing for facts now Cuomo and Stelter are gone?
And you prove the point further by showing that you aren’t interested in news, only opinions. Obviously you are very committed to those that don’t clash with your preconceived notions.
str8line
9/18/2022 11:29am
scott_nz wrote:
internationally I find the the Guardian out of the uk good and Al Jezzerra quite good on some stuff as well, the USA is a nightmare...
internationally I find the the Guardian out of the uk good and Al Jezzerra quite good on some stuff as well,

the USA is a nightmare with most main stream stuff being one side or another, (which is the same as it is here in NZ)

I like Al Jazeera too.

For TV PBS Newshour is amazing, an hour of nightly news that takes the time to go into detail and brings in experts.
str8line
9/18/2022 11:31am
BBC is pretty good. Most mainstream media sucks but I check in with Fox News, CBS, ABC, etc. regularly just to check out the slant.
plowboy
9/18/2022 11:40am
APLMAN99 wrote:
And you prove the point further by showing that you aren’t interested in news, only opinions. Obviously you are very committed to those that don’t clash...
And you prove the point further by showing that you aren’t interested in news, only opinions. Obviously you are very committed to those that don’t clash with your preconceived notions.
I won't be that harsh. I have no idea what leanings the BBC has on internal stories. I believe the international version is fairly factual without much editorial fuckery.
Shiner590
Fantasy
2633rd
9/18/2022 11:47am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 7:07pm
Jimmy Dore calls bullshit as he sees it and has no problems calling out both parties
plowboy
9/18/2022 11:49am
This is how old I am. My grandpa had a military surplus shortwave radio transmitter when I was a kid. I spent endless hours minutely adjusting that dial to hear news and such from around the globe. A lot of countries had english language broadcasts. Really cool to know how big the world was.

I got stupid and started broadcasting on the thing. Some guys rolled up and disabled the transmitter. My grandpa was not pleased.
7I3N
9/18/2022 11:53am
The vast majority of news is actually propaganda. If you're looking for the truth, listen to comedians.
APLMAN99
9/18/2022 12:00pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
And you prove the point further by showing that you aren’t interested in news, only opinions. Obviously you are very committed to those that don’t clash...
plowboy wrote:
I won't be that harsh. I have no idea what leanings the BBC has on internal stories. I believe the international version is fairly factual without...
I won't be that harsh. I have no idea what leanings the BBC has on internal stories. I believe the international version is fairly factual without much editorial fuckery.
Nothing harsh about it. He used a couple of opinion shows as his ideal news sources, then when that was explained to him he tried to use people who don’t share his opinion as some poor straw man argument.

The lesson is that he doesn’t understand the concept of news, but he’s very committed to supporting whatever opinions he agrees with.
philG
9/18/2022 12:31pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I won't be that harsh. I have no idea what leanings the BBC has on internal stories. I believe the international version is fairly factual without...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Nothing harsh about it. He used a couple of opinion shows as his ideal news sources, then when that was explained to him he tried to...
Nothing harsh about it. He used a couple of opinion shows as his ideal news sources, then when that was explained to him he tried to use people who don’t share his opinion as some poor straw man argument.

The lesson is that he doesn’t understand the concept of news, but he’s very committed to supporting whatever opinions he agrees with.
You cant watch news shows for news they dont fucking show.

So you watch a show that doesnt cover any stories that they dont want to think about, whereas i watch feeds that tell us what is occurring..

Thats pretty basic stuff.

And you didnt answer my Cuomo and Stelter question.

There are lots of sources, but i guarantee , none of the ones you watch are doing anything other than peddle the Democrat propaganda they are told to push. But you call that 'truth'.

The BBC is no longer trusted in the UK, its woke coverage and left leaning puff peices are the same shit that is destroying your country , that you are all flag waving for.

Luckily they are being called out on it , and as a broadcaster that is funded by a tax on everyone, they are honour bound to be impartial, and they arent, which is why there is an increasing movement to defund them, because folk know they are being lied to.

Thanks to the internet, news media is dying on its arse, as it gets called out for what it is.

Jeremy A.K.
9/18/2022 1:14pm
plowboy wrote:
This is how old I am. My grandpa had a military surplus shortwave radio transmitter when I was a kid. I spent endless hours minutely adjusting...
This is how old I am. My grandpa had a military surplus shortwave radio transmitter when I was a kid. I spent endless hours minutely adjusting that dial to hear news and such from around the globe. A lot of countries had english language broadcasts. Really cool to know how big the world was.

I got stupid and started broadcasting on the thing. Some guys rolled up and disabled the transmitter. My grandpa was not pleased.
I grew up watching my father and my grandpa talk to each other via Morse code from buffalo to new Mexico. I remember going to radio shack all the time with him buying printable circuit boards so he could build the latest filter or gadget that showed in some monthly ham radio magazine he got. To this day the smell of solder brings me back to my childhood lol.

Post a reply to: News sources

The Latest