Just left Syria (pics)

Sunhouse
Edited Date/Time 4/28/2019 6:56am
So, just left Syria this morning. Vital must have US servers, as I wasn’t able to log on from Syria, but Instagram and Facebook worked. Not a big fan of those, and Snapchat and iCloud were blocked too. Anyways...

Just arrived in Beirut, so I will do this from my phone. Bare with me on the typos, too tired to correct them. Better pictures and more stories will follow tonight Beirut time. There are som good ones I reckon. Been on Syrian state TV, talked to all kinds of locals, seen both beauty and low points in human history.

Short story: amazing trip, amazing people, parts of Homs, Aleppo and Ghouta look like German cities in May 1945. But most of the cities are standing and doing well, but Islamist held areas were destroyed in the fighting, and the areas are much bigger than I thought.

SO much history and culture, don’t even know where to begin. Very satsfying and interesting.

Passed through about 100 checkpoints in a week, never any trouble, most lf them very friendly and welcoming.

I will leave the darker stuff for when I have time to explain them better
A few pics for now:

|
akillerwombat
4/20/2019 7:26am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 7:27am
That castle on the bluff photo is mind blowing.

It always blows my mind to see photos of these places and see green. Being that we're constantly bombarded with the dusty–dirty–imagery it's hard to remember how pretty it can be. Hell, that photo looks like it's straight from East County San Diego after a rain... sans the castle of course.
plowboy
4/20/2019 7:47am
Glad everything went well on the journey. Nice pics of cool stuff.
shuggs
4/20/2019 12:11pm
Amazing couple of pics, looking forward to a nice long write up with loads more pics. Yet again you are making memories of a lifetime

The Shop

4/20/2019 12:37pm
You visit some crazy places man. Question, why don't you start a youtube channel vlogging your travels? Guys like Harald Baldr make a living doing it. I'm pretty sure people would be fascinated to see a tourists perspective of Syria.
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/20/2019 2:14pm
Amazing, looking forward to a write-up about. Safe travels home.
Jrewing
4/20/2019 4:18pm
Curious if you have/formed any opinions on Bashar Al-Assad?
Nighttrain
4/20/2019 5:13pm
Those pictures are stunning. I look forward to seeing more. The photos and stories from your trips to N Korea and Syria have been amazing, Sunhouse.
Sunhouse
4/21/2019 3:24am
You visit some crazy places man. Question, why don't you start a youtube channel vlogging your travels? Guys like Harald Baldr make a living doing it...
You visit some crazy places man. Question, why don't you start a youtube channel vlogging your travels? Guys like Harald Baldr make a living doing it. I'm pretty sure people would be fascinated to see a tourists perspective of Syria.
I have looked into it, love his channel. Especially when he and Mr Bald swim to the Indian James Bond hotel - hilarious.
But it requires a lot of work, and equipment. I am in the process of trying to make a travel documentary riding a motorcycle across all continents though. I have a friend who wants to join, and I reckon it should be possible to get funding from sponsors and TV. There are tons of travel docs on Netflix, but few bring anything new to the table. We would have to hitchhike across the seas on cargo vessels etc. Could be cool.
Sunhouse
4/21/2019 3:26am
Jrewing wrote:
Curious if you have/formed any opinions on Bashar Al-Assad?
They are about the same as before I went there Smile
Sunhouse
4/21/2019 3:29am
Nighttrain wrote:
Those pictures are stunning. I look forward to seeing more. The photos and stories from your trips to N Korea and Syria have been amazing, Sunhouse.
Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. It makes it worthwhile to post the pictures and stories Smile
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/21/2019 4:35am
Looks like an amazing adventure. Looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing.
Sunhouse
4/21/2019 5:02am
Ok, so I have wanted to go to Syria for a long time now. So I finally found someone to get me into the country. After the war started, moving around in the country has been hard. You have to have official permissions to move past checkpoints etc. So I had a man take care of all the applications, documentation and visa work. He would join me and help me past security checkpoints during the trip.

I flew in to Beirut, where he (Muhammed) picked me up and we drove to Damascus. First thing across the border is a big Tax Free shopping centre where the Lebanese go to buy in bulk for a cheap price. Kind of weird and funny.

Damascus was beautiful, very arab. Chrurches and mosques everywhere, often next to each other. Walked into the biggest and oldest mosque they have, saw remains from a mortar strike which had hit the meosque two years ago, killing many. Very sad and a reminder of what was to come.

Went to Aleppo for two days. The drive was extra long as we have to drive round Hama and Idlib, as that is were the remains of Al Qaida are located.
On the way to Aleppo, we drove past Esst Ghouta and Homs, for my first real taste of destruction. It was surreal to see it. Just wasteland and ruins, but completely quite.

Aleppo has the famous citadell which the terrorists never got into. I was able to go inside it, and also see the city from above. Incredible views of a partially destroyed city.

Palmyra was the highlight of the trip. It was so sad, yet so interesting. IS destroyed parts of the old city, almost all of the newer city, and all of the museum. There where still statues on the floors, and hacked off faces on all relics.
We were taken to a IS bunker which was left as is. I was interviewed by the local state media, before leaving the place together with a general my guide knew. So we basically got a VIP treatment on the way back. He was really nice and friendly, and said I could ask him anything I wanted regarding the war, military etc. He had been involved in the battle for Palmyra, Aleppo and Homs, as he was responsible for the region. Very interesting!

Krac De Chevalliers is an old castle used to protect crusaders. It was held by Al Sham for two tears before it was liberated by the army. Very cool to see.

I am writing this on my phone, so I will start posting some pictures now, and maybe write more later Smile any questions, just fire away!

4/21/2019 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2019 12:03pm
Really cool!

You’d think they would preserve that castle or actually use it.

The other thing with that castle is. People always dream of living in a. Castle and clearly there was someone living in it. But it sure wasn’t luxiourous for them!
Sunhouse
4/21/2019 2:33pm
Really cool! You’d think they would preserve that castle or actually use it. The other thing with that castle is. People always dream of living in...
Really cool!

You’d think they would preserve that castle or actually use it.

The other thing with that castle is. People always dream of living in a. Castle and clearly there was someone living in it. But it sure wasn’t luxiourous for them!
It is in fact preserved by a university from Hungary. The castle is on UNESCOs list, and they should nornally get funding from the UN. But someone decided politics were more important than preserving the oldest standing castle from the crusades. It’s really sad, but luckily well kept for now, except for the staircase Al Sham blew up to prevent government soldiers from reaching them inside
TX24
4/24/2019 5:32am

Another amazing story of yours, thank you.
Sunhouse
4/24/2019 2:52pm
TX24 wrote:

Thanks!
I posted a bunch more pictures and answered «moto-moto’s» questions regarding the castle. It all seems deleted including his post? I dont understand why, is there a mod here who can please explain why it was taken down?
Can I reupload the pictures?
BR8ES
4/24/2019 5:24pm
makes me miss Syria and Aleppo. Glad you made the trip and had a good time...sadly, like Beirut years prior, Syria is a mere shell of it's former self. Thankfully there are good people there still, many in the crossfire of self interest and corruption. There will be no later in life regret from you on this, a trip to remember.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
4/24/2019 5:31pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks! I posted a bunch more pictures and answered «moto-moto’s» questions regarding the castle. It all seems deleted including his post? I dont understand why, is...
Thanks!
I posted a bunch more pictures and answered «moto-moto’s» questions regarding the castle. It all seems deleted including his post? I dont understand why, is there a mod here who can please explain why it was taken down?
I still see it, maybe it's just your phone?
Anyways thanks for all the pictures man. Cool shit we dont get to see otherwise. Post all ya got! Smile
newmann
4/24/2019 7:36pm
TX24 wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks! I posted a bunch more pictures and answered «moto-moto’s» questions regarding the castle. It all seems deleted including his post? I dont understand why, is...
Thanks!
Yep, saw all of those this morning and then they all disappeared. You didn't go in to edit anything and wipe it all out did you?

Cool trip, bucket list stuff. I love to see all the history but seeing so much of it being destroyed is a sad site. Not all history is good history, but when it is destroyed and gone, well....it's gone. Keep posting up pics and a story line to go with them.
500guy
4/25/2019 6:20am
Really interesting thanks for posting.

Stupid question, Why did you go there?
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/26/2019 5:02pm
Looks like I can still see all the pictures you posted sunhouse. Question, did you spend much time in any main population centers in Syria? I just gotta wonder what the day to day life of the people there is like at this time. I love the experience of not just a visit, but really getting to see what the world is like from sun up to sun down for people all around the globe.
Mossy
4/27/2019 7:22am
It’s amazing seeing pictures like the castle and how much history that holds. From the Crusades??! Wow. Just imagine the people that have been in there. Imagine how they built that...

It’s also interesting to see the city with random blown apart buildings and then people just going about there life.

And finally it’s nice seeing the people and kids smiling and giving the camera a wave/thumbs up and a smile. It’s easy to think how all the people “over there” are so different, when really they are just like us just caught in a bad part of time. I’d love to be able to talk to some of these people. Cheers Cool
Sunhouse
4/28/2019 6:47am
TX24 wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks!
newmann wrote:
Yep, saw all of those this morning and then they all disappeared. You didn't go in to edit anything and wipe it all out did you...
Yep, saw all of those this morning and then they all disappeared. You didn't go in to edit anything and wipe it all out did you?

Cool trip, bucket list stuff. I love to see all the history but seeing so much of it being destroyed is a sad site. Not all history is good history, but when it is destroyed and gone, well....it's gone. Keep posting up pics and a story line to go with them.
Yeah, they are gone, so I will try to reupload them. Just need to keep track so I don`t repost Smile
Will give you more stories along the way.
Some statues and mosaics as you can see are destroyed, and the faces hacked. That`s all IS work. Just thug actions, many of the artifacts weren`t even religious. Very sad
Sunhouse
4/28/2019 6:48am
Mossy wrote:
It’s amazing seeing pictures like the castle and how much history that holds. From the Crusades??! Wow. Just imagine the people that have been in there...
It’s amazing seeing pictures like the castle and how much history that holds. From the Crusades??! Wow. Just imagine the people that have been in there. Imagine how they built that...

It’s also interesting to see the city with random blown apart buildings and then people just going about there life.

And finally it’s nice seeing the people and kids smiling and giving the camera a wave/thumbs up and a smile. It’s easy to think how all the people “over there” are so different, when really they are just like us just caught in a bad part of time. I’d love to be able to talk to some of these people. Cheers Cool
Yeah, castle life was rough. with diseases and feces everywhere. I´ve got picture of the stables inside it - it was huge but must have been filled with sickness and foul smell
Sunhouse
4/28/2019 6:52am
early wrote:
Looks like I can still see all the pictures you posted sunhouse. Question, did you spend much time in any main population centers in Syria? I...
Looks like I can still see all the pictures you posted sunhouse. Question, did you spend much time in any main population centers in Syria? I just gotta wonder what the day to day life of the people there is like at this time. I love the experience of not just a visit, but really getting to see what the world is like from sun up to sun down for people all around the globe.
Yeah, I spent almost three days in central Damascus, and two days in the centre of Aleppo. Drove all over Homs too. People everywhere and going about their business. Sadly there is an oil embargo on the country now, so they had to huge lines to the petrol stations, longest we measured by car was 1,3km long. People would stand in line for a whole day, just to get their ration of 20 liters per 5 days. Just as the conflict is winding down they have to face new trials from international sanctions
Sunhouse
4/28/2019 6:56am
500guy wrote:
Really interesting thanks for posting.

Stupid question, Why did you go there?
I have traveled a lot so I`ve done my share of beach life and commercial tourism. Syria with its rich history fascinates me. Also, it is an interesting time to go as there is just one more big battle left - in Idlib. So it is getting safer and you get to experience how everyday life slowly rebuilds.

Going to Aleppo we had to make a huge detour to avoid Idlib where the remains of Al Qaida from Homs and Aleppo were bussed. There was a rocket fired from Idlib which hit Aleppo the day I arrived. Could hear it from where I was.
Sunhouse
4/28/2019 7:02am
So, I normally try to stay anonymous here, but I thought this was too cool to not post. Syrian TV made a news segment about my visit to Palmyra. It is still very much a military area, but I was let in after lots of beaurocratic work from my contact. The other people you see there are Syrian tourism students let in by the Ministry of Tourism, to learn more about it for future guiding. Very nice people, and I was invited to a dinner and party with them later that evening. Best night in a long time!

I Google translated the headline and it says: "Palmyra - a Norwegian tourist documenting the devastation left by a terrorist organization in the city"

Anyways, here is the segment:
https://youtu.be/nxaWprpquG0
ns503
4/28/2019 8:10am
You're right - very cool. Smile

Post a reply to: Just left Syria (pics)

The Latest