Home Generators

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2021 7:29 PM

Thinking about getting a generator to be able to power up some basics in the house when power goes out from summer and winter storms. Thinking about a 10-12k watt generator. any recommendations on brands or ideas?

|

"So you're telling me there's a chance!!"

6/6/2021 2:04 AM

Generac.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/6/2021 6:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2021 6:04 AM

You dont need 10-12k for 'basics' or anywhere near that. We get by with a 3k inverter gennie. A lot of this is situation specific. And preferences.

Edit: do not underestimate fuel consumption. The bigger they are the more fuel they burn. So fuel supply is also a factor.

|

HAF

6/6/2021 7:47 AM

i have a generac 15k still in its crate on a pallet in the garage unopened. I have 5 around the 4500 to 6500 and 2 mini gens. I bought a few whike out of state during hurricanes to bring back for friends and family who didnt and ended up with a few. Honestly I run my generac 4500xl thru my panel and it runs everything except washer dryer and central A.c. It will run everything else and 2 window unit a.c. for over 24 hours on a tank. Used it since the 90s.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

6/9/2021 4:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2021 4:41 PM

Whole house Generac. your wife will
Be happy. Because the power never goes out when you’re actually Home. But she will be home.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/10/2021 7:27 AM

I bought an 8,000 watt Firman at Costco.

Photo

Got a 6 circuit Reliant transfer switch and a remote outdoor power box to plug the genny into.
Like this one at Lowe's. (the price seems high, though. you can probably do better)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-306LRK-6-Circuit-Transfer-Switch-Kit-P2/50436688

I had an electrician pull 6 circuits from my breaker box to wire into the transfer switch.

I can run a fridge,a chest-type deep freezer, well pump, sump pumps, furnace, small kitchen appliances, lights in 4 rooms + directv & tv , computers, etc with no problems at all. Probably could have gotten away with a 6500 watt unit, but the well pump and sump pumps draw a lot of power.

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

6/10/2021 10:03 AM

Post a pic of your electrical panel and labels.

Generator size is dependent on your appliances and heating, and optionally cooling if you want to run AC in summer black outs.

I am an electrician and can point you in the right direction/set up.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

6/25/2021 10:21 AM

Are you guys putting fuel stabilizer in the tank ... and firing them up once a year?

Trying to learn all this before I purchase something.

|

6/25/2021 11:52 AM

race wrote:

Are you guys putting fuel stabilizer in the tank ... and firing them up once a year?

Trying to learn all this before I ...more

Most generators I have been around have been been run under a load for 1-2 hr per month. As far as fuel, some people prefer propane for a generator, propane doesn’t go bad like gasoline or Diesel over time.

|

6/25/2021 12:21 PM

has anyone ever bought a military surplus generator. I have really been thinking of getting one on a trailer

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Generator-Sets-Fermont-MEP-802A-5kW-Gen-Set-Kansas/4814146?h=5000%2Cct%7C35%2Cc%7C13%2Cmode%7C2&rr=0.07692&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

$800

Photo

|

6/25/2021 12:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2021 12:36 PM

race wrote:

1911 wrote:

Most generators I have been around have been been run under a load for 1-2 hr per month. As far as fuel, some people prefer ...more

I’m gonna be honest. I use one when needed for power outages and that’s it. Sometimes it can sit for 2 years before I need to pull it out and start it. I don’t do anything but put fuel in It when needed and check oil. I even have to pull start it due to the battery being no good and she fires right up after a couple heavy pulls. Never had a “bad fuel” issue and I use premium pump gas. No stabilizer. dont over think it. She’s a heavy bastard and the tires are almost always flat and need air. Things old too had it for 15-20 years now. Also when I do run it it’s usually a long while since I live in the country and it’s hours or sometimes days before they get the power lines fixed here after a storm.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

6/25/2021 2:06 PM

Used to work on em. Kohler is what I’d buy for residential like 8-14kw size. No question, generac is junk quality wise comparatively. Will probably work, but for the piece of mind and price difference, I’d spend the little extra for a kohler. If you get say an 8kw vertical they’re reasonable price wise. The hot new ticket when I was getting out was the 14/20kw RCA models. The little bit I played with them I was very impressed. But yeah for running basics you’d be fine with either the 8kw, or even one of the smaller portable 5-6k models. Whole house, I mean obviously size depending, but things start getting kinda pricy

|

RPM Performance
CT

6/25/2021 2:08 PM

race wrote:

I use stabilizer and keep it on a built in float charger. Get it out at least twice a year and fire it up. Plug in the shop vac and let it go for a half hour. Generator is about 17 years old now and the only thing to ever go wrong was a low oil sensor. Generac 7500, runs the entire house.

|

6/25/2021 2:14 PM

Photo
|

6/25/2021 3:59 PM

Always heard Honda generators were the top quality-wise.

|

6/25/2021 4:44 PM

I got an 8500 Westinghouse off Amazon last fall and had an interlock installed by an electrician. The generator runs at 9500 peak and can run all necessities in the house no problem. The interlock is such a breeze.

|

6/26/2021 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2021 8:38 AM

GabeM wrote:

has anyone ever bought a military surplus generator. I have really been thinking of getting one on a trailer

...more

I trained on those early in my army career, we use 100kwh to power combat support hosptials. We do Refreshers every few years to stay ready.

As long as you run them girls hard and don’t let them wet stack they’re great. But when you’re running less power than you need they can be problematic.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/26/2021 8:34 AM

TBH this was some of Best training I ever had! He who controls the grid holds the power! Amazing what you can barter by giving some extra juice to the TOC for a coffee pot. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/26/2021 8:54 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

TBH this was some of Best training I ever had! He who controls the grid holds the power! Amazing what you can barter by giving ...more

$800 seems like a steal, do you think this is a reasonable option for regular folks over a Big box brand?

|

6/26/2021 3:55 PM

I will say those generators are very well maintained in the military. Surplus price for $800 is a steal, if they have the maintenance log that will make the deal even sweeter. But They keep tight books on them. Atleast for our CSH we are very stringent on the maintenance.

2 things in the combat hospital that will result in mission failure

1. No power
2. No blood in the blood bank.

Rest of it we can pretty much get by, innovate and save lives (to a point) . But we need blood and power to get it done

Those things can get thousands and thousands and thousands for hours on them reliably.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/26/2021 4:23 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

I will say those generators are very well maintained in the military. Surplus price for $800 is a steal, if they have the ...more

Awesome thank you

|

6/26/2021 9:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2021 9:49 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

TBH this was some of Best training I ever had! He who controls the grid holds the power! Amazing what you can barter by giving ...more

Brings back some memories. While in the CA Army Nat Guard someone decided to put me in charge of the generator trailers. Two big generators on a trailer. I would have to get up in the middle of the night to run the maintenance checks and swap which one was running.

One year at Ft Irwin one of the brass was complaining of how loud they were at night, and mentioned to me that someone should do something about the noise. I had the guys dig a big trench with a C8 Cat which I placed the trailer in, then routed the exhaust into a 55 gallon drum that we filled with water. Covered the top of the trench with a big tarp and camo netting, it was silent and almost invisible. Turns out the guy wasn't actually telling me to make it quiet, he was just venting over the noise. Since what I did certainly wasn't regulation, some ass chewing ensued.

The next year at annual training they decided I wasn't the best choice to deal with the generator trailer, so it was a win in the end for me.

|

6/27/2021 9:00 AM

Ahh punitive action for thinking outside the box. If it was in actual war you woulda been given more additional duties. That’s pretty impressive you essentially silenced the generator. Haha. Suppose the brass should be more clear in MDMP #1 “receive the mission” lol

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/29/2021 7:35 AM

I bought a Westinghouse WGen 9500 gasoline model for around $1000. I chose this one based on reviews, wattage and it has a 50 amp plug.

On my house I have a Reliance PBN50 power inlet box wired to a 50 amp breaker with an interlock switch between this breaker and the main disconnect switch. This interlock switch is a requirement to prevent the generator from sending electricity down the power lines where linemen may be working.

This generator will run my 4 ton AC unit along with the rest of the 20 amp circuits. I haven’t tried to run the larger amp circuits like the dryer. Keep in mind that my AC system is new and pulls less than 40 amps when starting and about 33 amps when running.
Photo

|