What exactly is an EFi smoker gonna give us?

Skidaddle
3/16/2017 5:56pm
MotoX85 wrote:
5% loss in power, 3 extra sensors and $1000 increase in parts. And if you can't tune s carb, no way in hell could you every...
5% loss in power, 3 extra sensors and $1000 increase in parts. And if you can't tune s carb, no way in hell could you every fix a fuel injection sustem
Every other EFI machine has way more power on top with no loss of bottom or mid.
Boats, sleds, etc. All more. A typical outboard has 20 more and a sled about 5, so a bike would have about 2.5, all else being equal.

EFI is actually cake to fix..
reded
3/16/2017 6:07pm
MotoX85 wrote:
5% loss in power, 3 extra sensors and $1000 increase in parts. And if you can't tune s carb, no way in hell could you every...
5% loss in power, 3 extra sensors and $1000 increase in parts. And if you can't tune s carb, no way in hell could you every fix a fuel injection sustem
Skidaddle wrote:
Every other EFI machine has way more power on top with no loss of bottom or mid. Boats, sleds, etc. All more. A typical outboard has...
Every other EFI machine has way more power on top with no loss of bottom or mid.
Boats, sleds, etc. All more. A typical outboard has 20 more and a sled about 5, so a bike would have about 2.5, all else being equal.

I beg to differ. I've got a 96ci Harley that was a dog when it was stock and still a dog after a set of pipes, cams and being tuned with a TTS tuner. I pulled all of the EFI bullshit off, threw on a 42mm Mikuni and a stand alone ignition box and gained 6hp/7ft.lbs torque.
RickA
3/16/2017 6:09pm
Well, lots of good info here. One thing I know, and I still maintain they have issues, ALL fuel injected dirt bikes have problems currently for Ice Racing and Mountain riding snow bikes. They are now adding thermostats, and/or blocking radiators because of fuel-oil dilution. After 3 hours of riding at altitude and in cold temps, your adding 1/2 quart of fuel to your oil -past the rings. I realize what the issue is here, but the problem absolutely does NOT exist on carbuerated bikes. Open loop struggles

Anyway.. lots of good posts.

The Shop

gsxr6
3/16/2017 6:17pm
How many guys will buy a 300exc if it only makes 35 or 40 hp? That's the question u should ask.......
MotoX85
3/16/2017 6:18pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:
Every other EFI machine has way more power on top with no loss of bottom or mid. Boats, sleds, etc. All more. A typical outboard has...

Wrong, equal machines, efi is, on average, 5% loss in horsepower vs a carb.

To the guy saying hopefully yamaha will keep up. Yamaha was the first to have a FI 250. It was called a WR250X. They didn't put it on the YZ because they could not afford to loose 3hp compared to the carb on the old style motor. They had to wait for the downdraft design to compensate for the hp lose.

This is all common knowledge, if you are thinking I'm wrong, might want to do a little research.
305FC250
3/16/2017 6:25pm
Can't believe the amount of over dramatic people crying about how "complicated" EFI is and how a few more wires and connectors is somehow the end of the world. It's really not rocket science people... It's actually somewhat basic with the exception of the mapping. And the components involved with EFI are really not that expensive at all nor are they difficult to work on... All this bitching and moaning while simultaneously spewing out false information, misconceptions, and assumptions is beyond mind blowing.
doofy
3/16/2017 6:44pm
I try and keep the quad talk to a minimum but i feel this is relevant to the convo...

When the efi yamaha 450 mx quad came out factory suppprted riders took off the efi system and put om carbs.... so did yoshimura suzuki on the LTR450...

I asked brandon sommers when i saw his quad on the line with a fcr on it and he was very tight lipped. Lmao a factory team pulling off a feature theyve invested and endless amount of time and money in and told the public you had to have their bike causd a carb is now antique
quicken
3/16/2017 6:51pm
RickA wrote:
Does anyone remember the Polaris RXL? That ran ok.. I thought that was their first EFI attempt
Skidaddle wrote:
No. The 1992 EFI 500 was. They had a hard time with the big triple because they simply tried to add a 3rd map. Twins fire...
No. The 1992 EFI 500 was. They had a hard time with the big triple because they simply tried to add a 3rd map.

Twins fire every up AND down for each stroke and the triples and the firing and injection timing were totally different. The aftermarket figured it out with an aftermarket EPROM chip that took a few minutes to swap.

The best part of that was......the aftermarket chip could compensate for the impending ethanol gas that hit the west in 1995.

For twin owners...Polaris gave owners in Ethanol states a free chip! I got mine with a free tube of dielectric grease and a free grounding strap also.

To be honest...the ethanol chip ran better and was updated mapping.
Rick is correct.....

The RXL was a full year cycle ahead of the 500 twin in EFI development

RXL '90 LE
'91 production

500 EFI '91 SP
'92 production
rrjr
3/16/2017 7:25pm
RickA wrote:
Does anyone remember the Polaris RXL? That ran ok.. I thought that was their first EFI attempt
Skidaddle wrote:
No. The 1992 EFI 500 was. They had a hard time with the big triple because they simply tried to add a 3rd map. Twins fire...
No. The 1992 EFI 500 was. They had a hard time with the big triple because they simply tried to add a 3rd map.

Twins fire every up AND down for each stroke and the triples and the firing and injection timing were totally different. The aftermarket figured it out with an aftermarket EPROM chip that took a few minutes to swap.

The best part of that was......the aftermarket chip could compensate for the impending ethanol gas that hit the west in 1995.

For twin owners...Polaris gave owners in Ethanol states a free chip! I got mine with a free tube of dielectric grease and a free grounding strap also.

quicken wrote:
Rick is correct..... The RXL was a full year cycle ahead of the 500 twin in EFI development RXL '90 LE '91 production 500 EFI '91...
Rick is correct.....

RXL '90 LE
'91 production

500 EFI '91 SP
'92 production
No that can't be right.
Skidaddle said so and he's never wrong. Just ask him.Wink
Skidaddle
3/16/2017 7:36pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:

reded wrote:
I beg to differ. I've got a 96ci Harley that was a dog when it was stock and still a dog after a set of pipes...
I beg to differ. I've got a 96ci Harley that was a dog when it was stock and still a dog after a set of pipes, cams and being tuned with a TTS tuner. I pulled all of the EFI bullshit off, threw on a 42mm Mikuni and a stand alone ignition box and gained 6hp/7ft.lbs torque.
A Harley?

Come on man. Lets compare to F1 if anything. I got a 1970s vintage 340 oval sled with more power than that.

Regardless, Every sled when you could get both was rated more, and every outboard Merc sells from the high performance race division has 20 HP more with EFI, and sleds do because you can such a large 44-52 Mm throttle body.

They don't claim it on their brochures for nothing.
Looking at a brochure now.

Merc 2.5 Carb 260 HP@7800
Merc 2.5 EFI 280 HP@7800
Merc 2.5 EFI Offshore 280HP@8000
Merc 2.5 EFI Drag SS 300 HP@9000

They don't call them 280s for the hell of it.

Same for the older 2.4's. The EFIs were rated at 20 more. Maybe for all those years they lied.

Skidaddle
3/16/2017 7:42pm
RickA wrote:
Skidaddle wrote:

quicken wrote:
Rick is correct..... The RXL was a full year cycle ahead of the 500 twin in EFI development RXL '90 LE '91 production 500 EFI '91...
Rick is correct.....

RXL '90 LE
'91 production

500 EFI '91 SP
'92 production
Actually he's right according to my old man. He said the RXL wasn't available out here that year since it was mostly marketed to lake racers in the midwest and east.

You could get them, but you had to get it somewhere else.

I guess that would be like a guy in Minneapolis wanting a 800 RMK Pro with a 3 x174 track. He'd have to special order or go to Colorado alot to need one.
Skidaddle
3/16/2017 7:46pm
305FC250 wrote:
Can't believe the amount of over dramatic people crying about how "complicated" EFI is and how a few more wires and connectors is somehow the end...
Can't believe the amount of over dramatic people crying about how "complicated" EFI is and how a few more wires and connectors is somehow the end of the world. It's really not rocket science people... It's actually somewhat basic with the exception of the mapping. And the components involved with EFI are really not that expensive at all nor are they difficult to work on... All this bitching and moaning while simultaneously spewing out false information, misconceptions, and assumptions is beyond mind blowing.
You're not getting an argument from me. Its all old school tech to me.

I'm programming a EFI turbo setup for a buddy tomorrow.
mingham97
3/16/2017 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 7:51pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Wrong, equal machines, efi is, on average, 5% loss in horsepower vs a carb. To the guy saying hopefully yamaha will keep up. Yamaha was the...
Wrong, equal machines, efi is, on average, 5% loss in horsepower vs a carb.

To the guy saying hopefully yamaha will keep up. Yamaha was the first to have a FI 250. It was called a WR250X. They didn't put it on the YZ because they could not afford to loose 3hp compared to the carb on the old style motor. They had to wait for the downdraft design to compensate for the hp lose.

This is all common knowledge, if you are thinking I'm wrong, might want to do a little research.
Did yamaha openly admit to the efi taking away 3hp?
Or did they not fuel inject the YZ-f because they were developing a completely new engine with FI so there was no point trying to fix an old bike.
BMSOBx2
3/16/2017 7:51pm
logan_140 wrote:
Just curious what benefits an efi 2 stroke is going to have.. no bog? Snappier throttle response? More torque? Was looking at getting a 350 but...
Just curious what benefits an efi 2 stroke is going to have.. no bog? Snappier throttle response? More torque? Was looking at getting a 350 but I almost guarantee if these sell well (and they will) there will be an SX model for 2019..
I can still work on 2 stroke cheaper, even with EFI.
mingham97
3/16/2017 7:56pm
305FC250 wrote:
Can't believe the amount of over dramatic people crying about how "complicated" EFI is and how a few more wires and connectors is somehow the end...
It blows my mind how some of the people make all these claims about stuff yet can't back it up with anything credible. EFI is awesome on my 250f. I had more problems trying to tune my 250 2 stroke then I did with my 250f (no problems so far). I bet ya people will be buying the FI set up for their SX's or it'll come out in the hard parts catalogue.

I also think people are scared of their old bikes losing value because 2 strokes have made a major leap forward and in 8 years, their 20 year old two stroke won't be competitive the same way it is competitive with today's 2 strokes.
reded
3/16/2017 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 8:00pm
Skidaddle wrote:

reded wrote:
I beg to differ. I've got a 96ci Harley that was a dog when it was stock and still a dog after a set of pipes...
Skidaddle wrote:
A Harley? Come on man. Lets compare to F1 if anything. I got a 1970s vintage 340 oval sled with more power than that. Regardless, Every...
A Harley?

Come on man. Lets compare to F1 if anything. I got a 1970s vintage 340 oval sled with more power than that.

Regardless, Every sled when you could get both was rated more, and every outboard Merc sells from the high performance race division has 20 HP more with EFI, and sleds do because you can such a large 44-52 Mm throttle body.

Merc 2.5 EFI 280 HP@7800

Same for the older 2.4's. The EFIs were rated at 20 more. Maybe for all those years they lied.

You're the one that put yourself out there with the every other machine makes more power with EFI comment. I've got the proof that a carb made more power on this particular configuration and you dismiss it because of the name on the side of the tank?
BobPA
3/16/2017 8:13pm
Skidaddle wrote:
A Harley? Come on man. Lets compare to F1 if anything. I got a 1970s vintage 340 oval sled with more power than that. Regardless, Every...
A Harley?

Merc 2.5 EFI 280 HP@7800

The old man raced with some Arctic Cat support in the 70's, was one of the few to have a Formula II when they came out. He said it took a bunch of work to be competitive. Retired now and looking to buy one for old times sake....Too bad they are tough to find...and $12k if you locate one. I'll have to scan a few of the old race pictures he has from years ago.

You remember these?
BobPA
3/16/2017 8:28pm
Dtat720 wrote:
I ran the e6s and then the e6k on my mr2's and supra's. They are amazing pieces. Take your time with it. Steve at Alamo Motorsports...
I ran the e6s and then the e6k on my mr2's and supra's. They are amazing pieces. Take your time with it. Steve at Alamo Motorsports helped me when I first started with them in 1999. I dont know if they are even still around but if they are, he is a Haltec guru and can answer any question you may have. Peter Ferrel supercars used them for a while on 13b's. They could be a big help for you as well
I got a Sprint RE that was purchased by a guy who had a terminated harness built and then never installed it in a car. I may have to give those guys a call, my experience level with a standalone is little to nothing. I did not need anything fancy as I am not going wild on the horsepower.
Skidaddle
3/16/2017 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2017 11:00pm
BobPA wrote:
The old man raced with some Arctic Cat support in the 70's, was one of the few to have a Formula II when they came out...
The old man raced with some Arctic Cat support in the 70's, was one of the few to have a Formula II when they came out. He said it took a bunch of work to be competitive. Retired now and looking to buy one for old times sake....Too bad they are tough to find...and $12k if you locate one. I'll have to scan a few of the old race pictures he has from years ago.

You remember these?
Yes. My old man has quite a few restos and stuff. They are worth more than new ones today. Its crazy.

I just noticed alot of posts are gone.
Skidaddle
3/16/2017 9:59pm
reded wrote:
You're the one that put yourself out there with the every other machine makes more power with EFI comment. I've got the proof that a carb...
You're the one that put yourself out there with the every other machine makes more power with EFI comment. I've got the proof that a carb made more power on this particular configuration and you dismiss it because of the name on the side of the tank?
I was referring to 2 strokes.

The mother of 2 stroke music is the Mercury 2.4 and 2.5 series race outboards.

blackdiamond
3/16/2017 10:27pm
logan_140 wrote:
Just curious what benefits an efi 2 stroke is going to have.. no bog? Snappier throttle response? More torque? Was looking at getting a 350 but...
Just curious what benefits an efi 2 stroke is going to have.. no bog? Snappier throttle response? More torque? Was looking at getting a 350 but I almost guarantee if these sell well (and they will) there will be an SX model for 2019..
More cost, more complexity and more DNFs (just like the 4 strokes)
Skidaddle
3/16/2017 11:07pm
logan_140 wrote:
More cost, more complexity and more DNFs (just like the 4 strokes)
I disagree. 4 strokes are shit and were shit with carbs.

2 strokes just work. They never really had problens and it was almost 30 years ago.

KTM or Beta would really have to F up to get it wrong.
Plus being in Austria...KTM could hire some Rotax dudes to help them. Or Suzuki techs or whoever from say Mercury.

It wont be perfect, but it should be 97%.
Motofinne
3/16/2017 11:46pm
It's amazing that some of you are scared of this haha... Our sport is in the stone age. Seriously.

Even at the pro racing level = stone age.

This is a very good thing.
blackdiamond
3/17/2017 12:24am
Skidaddle wrote:
I disagree. 4 strokes are shit and were shit with carbs. 2 strokes just work. They never really had problens and it was almost 30 years...

2 strokes just work. They never really had problens and it was almost 30 years ago.

Plus being in Austria...KTM could hire some Rotax dudes to help them. Or Suzuki techs or whoever from say Mercury.

More 4 stroke DNFs by a long-shot since EFI. Factory teams don't even power wash the bike between motos anymore because of the fear of electrical problems.
blackdiamond
3/17/2017 12:27am
Motofinne wrote:
It's amazing that some of you are scared of this haha... Our sport is in the stone age. Seriously. Even at the pro racing level =...
It's amazing that some of you are scared of this haha... Our sport is in the stone age. Seriously.

Even at the pro racing level = stone age.

This is a very good thing.
Except for the fact that grass roots racing is all but dead at this point because everyone is losing interest because of the increased cost?
JMX82
3/17/2017 1:09am
I rather take EFI two strokes than no two strokes at all. I think fuel injection is the only option if we want to ride two strokes in the future. Quit living in the past and thinking about the good old times because sadly they will never come back. The pressure from environmentalists is too big
Skidaddle
3/17/2017 1:34am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2017 1:40am
Skidaddle wrote:
I disagree. 4 strokes are shit and were shit with carbs. 2 strokes just work. They never really had problens and it was almost 30 years...

More 4 stroke DNFs by a long-shot since EFI. Factory teams don't even power wash the bike between motos anymore because of the fear of electrical...
More 4 stroke DNFs by a long-shot since EFI. Factory teams don't even power wash the bike between motos anymore because of the fear of electrical problems.
Powerwashers....what the hell do think is going to happen?

I killed my truck for an hour last week after powerwashing under the hood.
I knew right away it was the throttle body fly by wire connector.

And....I knew better, and was too lazy to cover it. It's wide open just waiting to get grounded out.

You cant blame the machine when blasting 1500 psi water on electrical shit.
Fearo
3/17/2017 3:19am
Do any of you guys that talk about "bogging" or "smoother power" actually own a current SX 250?

I'ven been on SX250s since 2012, jet my bikes once when they are new for "average" conditions and then run the same thing winter and summer. Sure it'll be a bit lazier at 30 degrees Celsius, but bogging? Never. I take 5 mph turns in 3rd gear and a gentle feathering off the clutch will put it in the meat of the powerband instantly.

As far as smoother power..What many people fail to realize is the versatility these bikes offer. These bikes can be made into a 55HP firebreathing monster that could yank your shoulders out of their sockets, just as easily as they can be made into soft, no-hit Vet bikes.

I'm not saying EFI or DI or Oil injection can't offer any benefits because I don't know anything about that stuff. I'm only saying it will be an incredibly difficult task to make a bike that is SO much better than the current platform that it outweighs all the known cons such as weight, price and complexity.
mxdude105
3/17/2017 5:50am
I get the added complexity is a drag but come on, who enjoys changing jetting every season and when you ride at different elevations? Pain in the ass if you ask me. My street bike is carb'd and that is my biggest complaint about it. The dirtbikes are obviously easier to work on, but I still look at it as an added maintenance item that takes time away from riding when I get to the track. Either that or I just deal with it running lousy.

Fuel injection is superior for nearly every application, IMO. I'd pay extra for it.

Post a reply to: What exactly is an EFi smoker gonna give us?

The Latest