Well another year the guy on the rmz 450 assembly line can just hit go

Mike_Lawlor
Edited Date/Time 9/27/2019 9:30pm
How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and if you ride one you think it’s fine. Until you ride any other manufacture then your like woah. I also get that you can get a leftover one for like $5500. But the motor is still literally the same sense 2008. They are the slowest out of all 6 and the heaviest and they don’t even have electric start. I’m not trying to bash Suzuki but what are the higher up’s thinking when they see all the other manufactures leaving them in the dust.
|
5/23/2019 9:57am
How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and...
How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and if you ride one you think it’s fine. Until you ride any other manufacture then your like woah. I also get that you can get a leftover one for like $5500. But the motor is still literally the same sense 2008. They are the slowest out of all 6 and the heaviest and they don’t even have electric start. I’m not trying to bash Suzuki but what are the higher up’s thinking when they see all the other manufactures leaving them in the dust.
Well, have you heard about their 2020 plans? I have not, and yes I'm asking a serious question.

Look at Yamaha with their 125 and 250. They are smokers, so it's not a direct comparison, but they still sell.
5/23/2019 10:03am
SUZUKI ANNOUNCES NEW AND RETURNING 2020 MODELS

Link: https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/23/suzuki-announces-new-and-returning-2020-models

"The RM-Z450 is ready for 2020 after a recent redesign brought a new fame, new suspension with a coil-spring fork, and boosted engine performance in a package that’s easy to flick around the racetrack. The RM-Z250 got a more thorough makeover last year, mirroring the styling of the RM-Z450. Like the RM-Z450, the RM-Z250 holds on to its claim as the best handling bike in its class with a new aluminum twin-spar frame, hydro formed aluminum swingarm, and new KYB shock and coil-spring fork. Both bikes bring more power to the ranks with competitive advantages like Suzuki’s Holeshot Assist Control that gets an RM-Z out of the gate faster and the Traction Management System that helps the rider maintain their lead to the checkered flag".

dtl210
Well, have you heard about their 2020 plans? I have not, and yes I'm asking a serious question. Look at Yamaha with their 125 and 250...
Well, have you heard about their 2020 plans? I have not, and yes I'm asking a serious question.

Look at Yamaha with their 125 and 250. They are smokers, so it's not a direct comparison, but they still sell.
They added a darker blue stripe to the graphics.
Mike_Lawlor
Yeah they just released the 2020 today. BNG across the line. Not even a mapping or suspension setting change. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

The Shop

Mr. Afterbar
5/23/2019 10:05am
Don’t like them, don’t buy one. It’s been discussed enough already. I’ll never understand why people complain so much about bikes and riders. There is a lot of contributing factors, I am sure. They are capable of investing to build a lighter, faster bike. E start isn’t anything revolutionary. It’s a business and they’ve obviously made business decisions that they think are best for their future.
Subotai
5/23/2019 10:07am
Literally at the bottom of this page is an article on the 2020 models. No changes. I have heard 2021 is the year. ML512 can respond to that possibility.

However, to answer the OPs question; it's all about options. You can buy a less expensive, best turning bike in the class and have money left over for suspension and engine mods which can make it as powerful as the competition. The only thing that does really suck about the rmz is the weight. Not much you can do about that.

The other option is buy one of the other bikes and be happy about it. Your choice.
77Moto
5/23/2019 10:08am
Light =less reliable.

Ever see many Suzukis break down or break in general?
5/23/2019 10:10am
Don’t like them, don’t buy one. It’s been discussed enough already. I’ll never understand why people complain so much about bikes and riders. There is a...
Don’t like them, don’t buy one. It’s been discussed enough already. I’ll never understand why people complain so much about bikes and riders. There is a lot of contributing factors, I am sure. They are capable of investing to build a lighter, faster bike. E start isn’t anything revolutionary. It’s a business and they’ve obviously made business decisions that they think are best for their future.
I don't think he was suggesting that electric start is somehow revolutionary. I think his point was that the bikes are heavy despite LACKING electric-start hardware, which is a fair point.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
5/23/2019 10:12am
I was considering buying a '20 but I think I'll just go buy some dark blue tape for my '18

Mr. Afterbar
5/23/2019 10:13am
Don’t like them, don’t buy one. It’s been discussed enough already. I’ll never understand why people complain so much about bikes and riders. There is a...
I don't think he was suggesting that electric start is somehow revolutionary. I think his point was that the bikes are heavy despite LACKING electric-start hardware...
I don't think he was suggesting that electric start is somehow revolutionary. I think his point was that the bikes are heavy despite LACKING electric-start hardware, which is a fair point.
I meant it in the way that they could easily build a bike with E start if they wanted to invest, just like like could easily build a lighter, more powerful bike.
5/23/2019 10:16am
How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and...
Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for less than a KTM"

Changes cost money. The bike is decent for 90% of people the way it is. How many people are really winning races because of their updated fork settings, ecu changes, and other tiny changes? Very few and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways. Suzuki is targeting the professional practice rider and its doing it really well with damn good bikes at a decent price.
5/23/2019 10:16am
Steve125 wrote:
I was considering buying a '20 but I think I'll just go buy some dark blue tape for my '18 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/23/349535/s1200_51459437_10156943580688638_7721129743868755968_n.jpg[/img]
I was considering buying a '20 but I think I'll just go buy some dark blue tape for my '18

Sure is a nice looking machine.
5/23/2019 10:18am
Let’s face the facts: Suzuki has given up on MX. No R&D, no factory teams.
And no, JGR is not a factory team. They get the factory parts from Japan which haven‘t changed in a decade. Compare that to Kawi, KTM or HRC..
Mike_Lawlor
5/23/2019 10:20am
Like I said I’m not bashing Suzuki and there not a bad bike. There just not developing them as fast as the other brands. Yes u can go buy one for cheep and make it lighter, faster and customize it for you. But is Suzuki eating the cost of the $3500 drop in price? I mean at what point is it profitable to them to have two year leftover bikes on showroom floors at thousands under MSRP.
HusqFan3
5/23/2019 10:23am
Just a suggestion but if you have an extra hour on your hands at some point you might consider investing the time researching the proper use of...

your vs you’re
there vs their vs they’re
since vs sense

It’s never too late in life to learn basic grammar...
aeffertz
5/23/2019 10:26am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 10:27am
I think they’ve found their pocket. Create a cheap bike that 90% of the population can’t push to its limits. I think it’s great they offer a cheaper, (arguably just as) competitive bike. If you don’t have the extra money for all the extra bells and whistles, go with the trusty ol’ steed.

If you have extra money to throw around, get one of the fancier bikes loaded with goodies.
toostroke
5/23/2019 10:26am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 10:28am
Imagine spending 8k on a 2020 rmz450 just for darker blue graphics and having to kickstart it then getting smoked on the track by a KTM and your bike breaks down so you can’t ride for 2 weeks
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
5/23/2019 10:27am
Steve125 wrote:
I was considering buying a '20 but I think I'll just go buy some dark blue tape for my '18 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/23/349535/s1200_51459437_10156943580688638_7721129743868755968_n.jpg[/img]

Sure is a nice looking machine.
Thanks, I've since installed a Rekluse Radius CX Auto Clutch.. so I don't really miss electric start since my bike never stalls in a tip over. Only problem I've had is guys too close to me on the line waiting for practice and I accidentally hit their leg while starting my bike. The magic button guys roll their eyes like..wtf.... lol
5/23/2019 10:57am
Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for...
Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for less than a KTM"

Changes cost money. The bike is decent for 90% of people the way it is. How many people are really winning races because of their updated fork settings, ecu changes, and other tiny changes? Very few and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways. Suzuki is targeting the professional practice rider and its doing it really well with damn good bikes at a decent price.
My son and I both have KTM's now but in '17, when he was ready to step up from a CRF-150F, we looked at stuff and, yup... ended up getting a NOS '16 KX250F for me and a NOS '15 KX100 for him for about $500 less than ONE KTM. Both bikes served their purposes very well, _esp_ the KX 100!!!, and no regrets.

It's not a bad way to go. I'd ride an RM 450 in a heartbeat as Suzuki generally fit me really well and I like being the odd duck out there.
Sierra Ranger
5/23/2019 10:59am
Suzuki's sales are up almost 11% globally (I think a lot of this growth is in Asia). But I did notice this on a slide from their recent earnings report. It appears that they might not even be making a profit on motorcycles? ..."to convert the motorcycle business into a profitable business." What's up with that?
The RMZ line is incredibly small compared with Suzuki's total production output. It seems like a boutique product for a tiny consumer group relative to their total production output.

colvin227
5/23/2019 11:03am
Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for...

EXACTLY!!! Well said
chewy4063
5/23/2019 11:11am
toostroke wrote:
Imagine spending 8k on a 2020 rmz450 just for darker blue graphics and having to kickstart it then getting smoked on the track by a KTM...
Imagine spending 8k on a 2020 rmz450 just for darker blue graphics and having to kickstart it then getting smoked on the track by a KTM and your bike breaks down so you can’t ride for 2 weeks
Least intelligent post of this thread so far. Congrats!

5/23/2019 11:12am
Forget comparing the RMZ450 to other brands, it’s hard to justify buying a new one if there are left over 15-17 models still around. You can do what this vital member did and bolt on 2018 forks and have just as good or a better handling bike than the current platform.

As a former yellow rider I’d be lying if I didn’t say it pains me to see Suzuki lead the pack in stagnation year after year. The lack of progression really hurts the brand’s rep, even though it is a plenty capable machine.

sandtrack315
5/23/2019 11:16am

colvin227 wrote:
EXACTLY!!! Well said
I mean, how much are you really saving by buying an RMZ250 over a YZ250F? MSRP difference is 300 bucks. In the big scheme of riding costs, that's trivial. Even if you could save 500-600 bucks, I doubt that's worth it for a far inferior bike for most customers. This isn't comparing an iMac to a Unix box in price range / performance, where you can get similar performance, albeit bare bones, for about 40 percent less money.

I am all for a manufacturer making a cheaper bare bones 250F. This could be good for the competitive market keeping costs down. But that's not what the 2020 Suzuki 250F is.
colvin227
5/23/2019 11:17am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 11:18am
Forget comparing the RMZ450 to other brands, it’s hard to justify buying a new one if there are left over 15-17 models still around. You can...
Forget comparing the RMZ450 to other brands, it’s hard to justify buying a new one if there are left over 15-17 models still around. You can do what this vital member did and bolt on 2018 forks and have just as good or a better handling bike than the current platform.

As a former yellow rider I’d be lying if I didn’t say it pains me to see Suzuki lead the pack in stagnation year after year. The lack of progression really hurts the brand’s rep, even though it is a plenty capable machine.

Yep, and I got that bike new in 2017 when the 18 had released and got a smoking deal. And even with everything I’ve put into the bike, clamps, 18 forks ( setup) rear shock setup, Moto tassinari, GET ECU odds and ends and I’m still under what a bone stock YZ450F I was looking at in comparison. Just didn’t make sense. In my head I was spending $10k either way, might as well get the best bang for my buck and the bike is amazing and totally personal too me.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/23/2019 11:20am
Bracing for 30 different threads on this.
Suzuki are the 2-stroke of the 4-stroke world, people make fun of them until they get passed by one.
byke
5/23/2019 11:22am
Their dirt line over the last 15yrs or so has felt like it's been hanging on by a thread and I want to see them put money into bikes, but they have that value thing going on and I'd hate to see all the bikes have that $10k price tag. The lack of updates works well in some ways, like before the latest gen, if you find a super low hour "13 bike for $3k, it was almost like getting a new model for cheap. And when dealers blow out the latest gen for $5800, that's a killer deal for a solid new bike. Sure it doesn't have some of the newer features, but that's what you're *not* paying for. If you want to pay for it, then go pay for it. It's easy to beat up on them, but we have to keep in mind that it's really nice having a manufacturer hitting a different price point.
colvin227
5/23/2019 11:39am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 11:43am
Yeah I was lucky to have money be the second deciding factor on which bike I bought when I was shopping. I figured I would pay $9-10k when it was all said and done and was totally fine with that and prepared . At the dealership I sat on the 18 YZ, 18 CRF, And has riden the 18 KX numerous times. Sat on the zuke just to be fair to all brands and I’ve always been curious of the turning prowess. Never swung a leg over a Suzuki in my life. Then, without hesitation told the salesman to loadup the Zuke and that was the end of it. Just fit me best and even in showroom trim felt immediately comfortable on it. I wasn’t worried about the magazines “fastest” because any 450 is more than I could ever need. Much lower price tag was a bonus but wasn’t the total deciding factor. I do not regret my purchase one bit cause I still had over $3k left of my budget for personalization and custom fit. Was a no brained for me, and I know 100% fact that at my speed and ability I am not giving up anythin* whatsoever..
colvin227
5/23/2019 11:49am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 11:50am

colvin227 wrote:
EXACTLY!!! Well said
I mean, how much are you really saving by buying an RMZ250 over a YZ250F? MSRP difference is 300 bucks. In the big scheme of riding...
I mean, how much are you really saving by buying an RMZ250 over a YZ250F? MSRP difference is 300 bucks. In the big scheme of riding costs, that's trivial. Even if you could save 500-600 bucks, I doubt that's worth it for a far inferior bike for most customers. This isn't comparing an iMac to a Unix box in price range / performance, where you can get similar performance, albeit bare bones, for about 40 percent less money.

I am all for a manufacturer making a cheaper bare bones 250F. This could be good for the competitive market keeping costs down. But that's not what the 2020 Suzuki 250F is.
How is the new RMZ250 a bare bones inferior bike? The only thing it doesn’t have is E start, well neither does the KX. has better suspension package than most, just needs new springs. People do that anyways. The motor is much quicker and improved than the previous version and most “shootouts” preferred the engine over other models. I’d say inferior and bare bones on the new 250f is a stretch. But different strokes for different folks. And you won’t pay anywhere near the same for a new RMZ vs YZ,or CRF. Suzuki offers amazing rebates and discounts almost immediately which is great for consumers,
BRAPPWHIP86
5/23/2019 12:52pm
Can you remember the last time a RMZ450 had a recall???? I know a the 16 450 Honda, and 2017 crf250r had recalls whats wrong with something that works? Have you guys heard of over engineering something? Suzuki has more MX titles than any other brand....

Post a reply to: Well another year the guy on the rmz 450 assembly line can just hit go

The Latest