Well another year the guy on the rmz 450 assembly line can just hit go

Related:
Create New Tag

5/23/2019 11:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2019 11:50 AM

nascarnate326 wrote:

Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for less than a KTM"

Changes cost money. The bike is decent for 90% of people the way it is. How many people are really winning races because of their updated fork settings, ecu changes, and other tiny changes? Very few and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways. Suzuki is targeting the professional practice rider and its doing it really well with damn good bikes at a decent price.

colvin227 wrote:

EXACTLY!!! Well said

sandtrack315 wrote:

I mean, how much are you really saving by buying an RMZ250 over a YZ250F? MSRP difference is 300 bucks. In the big scheme of riding costs, that's trivial. Even if you could save 500-600 bucks, I doubt that's worth it for a far inferior bike for most customers. This isn't comparing an iMac to a Unix box in price range / performance, where you can get similar performance, albeit bare bones, for about 40 percent less money.

I am all for a manufacturer making a cheaper bare bones 250F. This could be good for the competitive market keeping costs down. But that's not what the 2020 Suzuki 250F is.

How is the new RMZ250 a bare bones inferior bike? The only thing it doesn’t have is E start, well neither does the KX. has better suspension package than most, just needs new springs. People do that anyways. The motor is much quicker and improved than the previous version and most “shootouts” preferred the engine over other models. I’d say inferior and bare bones on the new 250f is a stretch. But different strokes for different folks. And you won’t pay anywhere near the same for a new RMZ vs YZ,or CRF. Suzuki offers amazing rebates and discounts almost immediately which is great for consumers,

|

5/23/2019 12:52 PM

Can you remember the last time a RMZ450 had a recall???? I know a the 16 450 Honda, and 2017 crf250r had recalls whats wrong with something that works? Have you guys heard of over engineering something? Suzuki has more MX titles than any other brand....

|

5/23/2019 1:08 PM

I’ve gotten numerous new riders into the sport via cheap low hour RMZs. Keep em coming, its hard to pass up a reliable bike thats 2/3 - 1/2 the cost of the other colors.

|

5/23/2019 1:09 PM

I rode a 2019 RMZ450 about a month ago, it was near new....I actually loved the bike, am I faster on it than my CRF ? no but still a great bike. For the mass this bike is perfectly fine.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

5/23/2019 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2019 6:26 PM

Suzuki have always had long production runs. Even in the hyper development 1980’s. The 125 ran for 3 years at a time. Went from 1st to last. Also, the DRZ400 is a relic, but obviously profitable.

It’s their business model.

|

5/23/2019 1:37 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

Higher ups are thinking " Hey we have zero R&D costs and Vet guys buy the bike as is and a DRZ125 for their kid for less than a KTM"

Changes cost money. The bike is decent for 90% of people the way it is. How many people are really winning races because of their updated fork settings, ecu changes, and other tiny changes? Very few and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways. Suzuki is targeting the professional practice rider and its doing it really well with damn good bikes at a decent price.

"and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways."

This is the problem. Every bike they have to discount 1-3K to sell is lost revenue. This is how manufactures die a slow death.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Giant Stance 2.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

5/23/2019 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2019 1:57 PM

I seriously thought about a NOS 18 RMZ. I had a '10 that I liked a lot. I knew I could get one for under $6k OTD and customize it for me for another $2-3k. But man, the NOS 18 Husky FC350 I bought for $7k OTD instead really needs nothing but a slip-on (which I got at 20% off at time of sale). It has everything else I need (ok, want!) and weighs a good 20lbs less. That right there was the deal maker. I'm tired of 58 HP bikes that weight 240 lbs..

Hammer 663s

|

5/23/2019 3:21 PM

colvin227 wrote:

EXACTLY!!! Well said

sandtrack315 wrote:

I mean, how much are you really saving by buying an RMZ250 over a YZ250F? MSRP difference is 300 bucks. In the big scheme of riding costs, that's trivial. Even if you could save 500-600 bucks, I doubt that's worth it for a far inferior bike for most customers. This isn't comparing an iMac to a Unix box in price range / performance, where you can get similar performance, albeit bare bones, for about 40 percent less money.

I am all for a manufacturer making a cheaper bare bones 250F. This could be good for the competitive market keeping costs down. But that's not what the 2020 Suzuki 250F is.

colvin227 wrote:

How is the new RMZ250 a bare bones inferior bike? The only thing it doesn’t have is E start, well neither does the KX. has better suspension package than most, just needs new springs. People do that anyways. The motor is much quicker and improved than the previous version and most “shootouts” preferred the engine over other models. I’d say inferior and bare bones on the new 250f is a stretch. But different strokes for different folks. And you won’t pay anywhere near the same for a new RMZ vs YZ,or CRF. Suzuki offers amazing rebates and discounts almost immediately which is great for consumers,

Fair enough, but have you rode the 19 Yamaha 250F? Thing pulls like a mini 450 and the KYB suspension is tits. Front wheel is sticky and the bike is very stable. I’m sure the RMZ is fun to ride as well, but if I’m investing in a bike for 2 years of riding, its not gonna be a Suzuki. I wish it was an option, though. Loved my early 2000 RM125s.

|

5/23/2019 6:38 PM

Mike_Lawlor wrote:

How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and if you ride one you think it’s fine. Until you ride any other manufacture then your like woah. I also get that you can get a leftover one for like $5500. But the motor is still literally the same sense 2008. They are the slowest out of all 6 and the heaviest and they don’t even have electric start. I’m not trying to bash Suzuki but what are the higher up’s thinking when they see all the other manufactures leaving them in the dust.

nascarnate326 wrote:

c0ncEpT wrote:

"and they dont pay retail for bikes anyways."

This is the problem. Every bike they have to discount 1-3K to sell is lost revenue. This is how manufactures die a slow death.

I meant fast guys that need the changes that KTM gives you s the rmz don’t pay retail.

Is the yz250 lost revenue? All r&d has been paid for, for years. They wouldnt sell them if they weren’t making money.

|

5/23/2019 6:39 PM

Mike_Lawlor wrote:

How many years can Suzuki just stay the same before people stop supporting them and buying them. I get it there not a bad bike and if you ride one you think it’s fine. Until you ride any other manufacture then your like woah. I also get that you can get a leftover one for like $5500. But the motor is still literally the same sense 2008. They are the slowest out of all 6 and the heaviest and they don’t even have electric start. I’m not trying to bash Suzuki but what are the higher up’s thinking when they see all the other manufactures leaving them in the dust.

Average Joe wrote:

Then there are those of us who rode the other bikes and liked the Suzuki better. The Suzuki has the most manageable power of any bike out there and turns/handles better than every other bike made IMO. There is a market for that kind of bike.

colvin227 wrote:

Yeah I was lucky to have money be the second deciding factor on which bike I bought when I was shopping. I figured I would pay $9-10k when it was all said and done and was totally fine with that and prepared . At the dealership I sat on the 18 YZ, 18 CRF, And has riden the 18 KX numerous times. Sat on the zuke just to be fair to all brands and I’ve always been curious of the turning prowess. Never swung a leg over a Suzuki in my life. Then, without hesitation told the salesman to loadup the Zuke and that was the end of it. Just fit me best and even in showroom trim felt immediately comfortable on it. I wasn’t worried about the magazines “fastest” because any 450 is more than I could ever need. Much lower price tag was a bonus but wasn’t the total deciding factor. I do not regret my purchase one bit cause I still had over $3k left of my budget for personalization and custom fit. Was a no brained for me, and I know 100% fact that at my speed and ability I am not giving up anythin* whatsoever..

I know I've said this before on this site, but by what I had read in the shootouts, I was not even considering a Suzuki. I had ridden all the others and was down to a Honda, then a guy asked if I tried the Suzuki yet one day when we were riding..and insisted I try his. I went two laps on it, came back and looked at my 2 sons that were with me and said "I'm buying the Suzuki." I felt comfortable right away. I have zero regrets. It'll likely be my next bike too.

|

5/23/2019 6:45 PM

Suzuki doesn't invest enough in their product development to be able to make major releases every year. They are consistently 2-3 years between major releases.

Being able to just hit go on the assembly line for 2-3 years with only minor running changes funds the next product development cycle.

KTM is doing in one year what Suzuki will only do every 2 or 3.

|

5/23/2019 7:10 PM

Good, hope they get down to $4999. Be great to get an awesome price on a great bike for 98.4% of the population.

|

JS7 is the most entertaining rider since Hannah, my first hero,. even living in the frozen north.
Dirt biking from 11 to late 50’s, loves wood riding on the old 525.

5/23/2019 7:37 PM

They are very popular with the supermoto crowd. You could buy a new 18 450 in March of 18 for 6500 USD Out the door.
What you saved paid for the light kit and 17 wheels and sprockets.

|

5/23/2019 7:50 PM

The Supermono is coming:

|

5/23/2019 8:52 PM

The kick start would actually be a selling point to me.

|

5/23/2019 8:57 PM

Mike_Lawlor wrote:

I would say get out of the C class before bagging on a bike that is half priced.

|

5/23/2019 8:59 PM

Permeance_Flux wrote:

Forget comparing the RMZ450 to other brands, it’s hard to justify buying a new one if there are left over 15-17 models still around. You can do what this vital member did and bolt on 2018 forks and have just as good or a better handling bike than the current platform.

As a former yellow rider I’d be lying if I didn’t say it pains me to see Suzuki lead the pack in stagnation year after year. The lack of progression really hurts the brand’s rep, even though it is a plenty capable machine.

I would say get out of the C class before bagging on a bike that is half priced.

|

5/23/2019 11:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/23/2019 11:30 PM

It's not about being the best or even being as good as. It's about positioning in the market. Marketing 101.

|

5/24/2019 12:05 AM

Suzuki have found their Niche in the sport and they sell bikes, I for one am an admirer of the new Zooks and they do stand out at the tracks! I'd even get one myself if I wasn't so keen on getting a Husqvarna next.

On a side note did they ever address the issues with the rear end? On the last models a popular mod was a new lowering link. Wondering if they took that on board and changed it?

|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

5/24/2019 12:50 AM

sandtrack315 wrote:

Fair enough, but have you rode the 19 Yamaha 250F? Thing pulls like a mini 450 and the KYB suspension is tits. Front wheel is sticky and the bike is very stable. I’m sure the RMZ is fun to ride as well, but if I’m investing in a bike for 2 years of riding, its not gonna be a Suzuki. I wish it was an option, though. Loved my early 2000 RM125s.

RMZ 250 comes equipped with pretty much the same suspension, as YZF 250. Seems like no one noticed...

|

5/24/2019 1:02 AM

RexEasely wrote:

You’re right, I just started racing this year in the C class so my opinion is not as valid as other more experienced racers. In the same vein, I’ve been riding for 20 years now and have owned a 05 yz125, 04 SX250, 11 CRF450, 14 RMZ 450 and now a 18 FC350 so I’m not a complete newb when it comes to bikes.

I never shitted on the RMZ either just stated the lack of innovation is impossible to ignore.

|

5/24/2019 1:14 AM

I think Suzuki is doing the right thing, if they where to focus on lowering cost of the bike. That segment is not covered for MX and it is really needed.

Going in to compete in the high end segment with 3 other Japs + 2 Austrians for low volume would kill them.

RC and Roczen did nothing for bike sales or Suzuki would have been number 1 at some point during last 10 years. So keep out of factory teams, focus on a low cost bike with smaller refinements every year.

|

5/24/2019 1:19 AM

sandtrack315 wrote:

colvin227 wrote:

sandtrack315 wrote:

I agree with your opinion on the 19 yz 250f...I got to do a couple decent sessions on one at our local track...thing wasnt set up for me..dont know where the sag was at...bar and lever position was that of the owner and foreign to me..all that and I feel absolutely certain that I was going faster after 2 laps on that thing than I ever have on any of my 4 bikes...so ridiculously easy to ride at any speed..especially fast! The motor is phenomenal as is the suspension and handling..extraordinary bike!
I will buy one as soon as I can after I buy a new yz125...I love 125"s...but yep that 250 f is the best bike I have ever ridden...and I'm not even a 4 stroke guy..got 2 of them right now and only ever had one before that back in 2001.
Not one fucking chance in hell I would ever drop coin on an rmz 250 over that new yz..dont care what the price difference is...in Australia...Im not really seeing the kind of price difference between Suzuki and the rest yyhat you see in the USA

|

2017 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250

5/24/2019 6:22 AM

dtl210 wrote:

They added a darker blue stripe to the graphics.

Bold new graphics!

|

5/25/2019 4:18 PM

Suzuki don’t have to spend a lot on marketing and racing. Just need a bike finishing top ten in the odd National to lend credibility and justify purchase in buyers mind.

|

5/26/2019 3:36 PM

Strategy seems to work for the 400.

|

5/26/2019 7:02 PM

I don't know if it's any good, but a little bummed they dropped the RMX450Z. I like seeing the off-road offerings, and in that regard if you want to talk rehashed old stuff, it only took Honda about 15 years to update the 450x.

|

5/29/2019 6:27 PM

77Moto wrote:

Light =less reliable.

Ever see many Suzukis break down or break in general?

Now that is funny

|

7/31/2019 4:17 PM

You guys that think Suzuki has inferior, non-competitive scoots should check out the Loretta Lynn nationals on racertv.com
Suzuki has a bike in the top 5 of just about every big bike class I've seen!! The racers are also making double to triple the contingency money...!!!
That's something that hasn't been mentioned.... Suzuki's contingency program is head and shoulders better than every other brand!! Much more affordable bikes and Way Better contingency!!
Sounds like a Great Deal to me! My $0.02

Gotta Pin it to Win it! On any brand.... Hahaha

|

Pin it to Win it!!

'17 KTM 250SX
'03 YZ125
'79 RM100

7/31/2019 4:21 PM

It’s what riders have been wanting for years - simple, cheaper bikes. Now that there is one people bitch.

|