Tyre changing tools..

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2020 12:41 PM

13 years in business, I’m tired!
On a race day morning I can have 15 tyre changes queuing up and they need to be done in a 2-3 hour window. I can do it, I’ve done it for years but I’m tired of it and so I’ve employed a young lad to do it for me. He struggles and customers can be ratty bastards on race day morning!

I’m interested in finding the most efficient tyre changing jig/tools that are available.

Show me the best/easiest to use, so I don’t have to get back on the levers!😫

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

7/28/2020 1:38 PM

Rabaconda.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/28/2020 1:51 PM

Baja No Pinch !!!!!

|

7/28/2020 1:58 PM

Get yourself an inexpensive motorcycle capable rim clamp machine with bead breaker, generator and compressor in a trailer. Paid $400 for my Hofmann machine used.

|

7/28/2020 2:23 PM

If your as good at it as you say, you should take pride in my man....Not just anybody could pull off 15 tire changes in 2 hours...now stop bein a puss.....whistling

|

Don't be a Pussy...

7/28/2020 2:25 PM

tongue tongue tongue
|

Don't be a Pussy...

7/28/2020 2:54 PM

526 wrote:

Baja No Pinch !!!!!

I thought these were a bit of a gimmick until I bought one! I love mine!

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

7/29/2020 6:24 AM

Baja NP is a really good tool! It works fantastic to install a tire. In addition you still need a) set of tire irons to remove the tire and b) some sort of bucket or tire stand to hold the wheel steady. Another alternative is to get a Rabaconda and levers and flip tires under 3 minutes guaranteed. Also, if you decide to move to bib mousses any moment in the future, you still need Rabaconda. Can't do mousses with Baja NP.

|

7/29/2020 6:36 AM

526 wrote:

Baja No Pinch !!!!!

Just watched a video on that thing, very cool indeed.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

7/29/2020 6:41 AM

|

7/29/2020 7:10 AM

I have used one of those for a few years, works okay and is probably fine if you aren’t using bibs. I just upgraded to a Rabaconda though as it was still kind of a PIA to change a new tire/bib combo

|

7/29/2020 9:39 AM

Find a coats 220 tire machine I can do 8-10 in 2 hrs with taking them off the bike and putting them back on the bike. You can find them used for 200. Or like the above said get a good pneumatic tire changer they are worth the money.

|

7/29/2020 10:21 AM

Technique is my tool of choice.

|

7/29/2020 10:30 AM

Cow Tools

|

7/29/2020 2:05 PM

Motion Pro bead buddy, If a little help is all you need.

|

My favorite rider is K.C Carlyle

7/29/2020 7:34 PM

Unit e1410 is the $100 version of the rabaconda.

|

7/30/2020 4:22 AM

I have no idea but I’d use this I could watch tires get changed all day.......

|

7/30/2020 2:00 PM

Two irons, a bead buddy & some WD-40. Leave tube in tire for mount & dismount. Easy peasy. Can do in will under ten minutes without rushing......I don't mind doing tire changes I hate taking wheels off/on bike...

|

7/31/2020 9:11 AM

Tire is spelled T-i-r-e in the western hemisphere.

|

7/31/2020 12:20 PM

526 wrote:

Baja No Pinch !!!!!

I have the full big bike a mini kits, this Baja no pinch design is a rim scratcher, it’s horrible

|

7/31/2020 12:40 PM

Why do some people spell tyre with a Y it bugs me that I don’t know the reason

Are tyres more expensive than tires?
Does using a Y make you fancy automatically?
Is it a euro thing?

|

7/31/2020 2:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2020 2:40 PM

Spudnut wrote:

Why do some people spell tyre with a Y it bugs me that I don’t know the reason

Are tyres more expensive than tires?
Does using a Y make you fancy automatically?
Is it a euro thing?

Yes euro thing


...


Or maybe tire is an American thing?

|

7/31/2020 3:06 PM

X2 on the Baja no pinch tool. I actually look forward to changing tires now with this tool. Makes installation so much better. The most difficult part is figuring out the right amount of tension, but you will get it dialed in within one tire change

|

7/31/2020 4:07 PM

Spudnut wrote:

Why do some people spell tyre with a Y it bugs me that I don’t know the reason

Are tyres more expensive than tires?
Does using a Y make you fancy automatically?
Is it a euro thing?

llaliberte22 wrote:

Yes euro thing


...


Or maybe tire is an American thing?

Mind=Blown

|

7/31/2020 4:10 PM

DaBaum44 wrote:

X2 on the Baja no pinch tool. I actually look forward to changing tires now with this tool. Makes installation so much better. The most difficult part is figuring out the right amount of tension, but you will get it dialed in within one tire change

Does it scratch rims? It looks like it easily would

|

7/31/2020 4:14 PM

Spudnut wrote:

Why do some people spell tyre with a Y it bugs me that I don’t know the reason

Are tyres more expensive than tires?
Does using a Y make you fancy automatically?
Is it a euro thing?

There’s a big different world out there kiddo

|

7/31/2020 4:23 PM

tobz wrote:

Does it scratch rims? It looks like it easily would

Does not scratch the rims if used properly. I've yet to scratch a wheel or pinch a tube with it. I bought it because I always had trouble getting the last bit of the tire on, but with this tool it makes it a much easier process.

|

7/31/2020 4:27 PM

Spudnut wrote:

Why do some people spell tyre with a Y it bugs me that I don’t know the reason

Are tyres more expensive than tires?
Does using a Y make you fancy automatically?
Is it a euro thing?

It's a British thing...like colour and so on....

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

7/31/2020 5:00 PM

I used to dread doing tube and tire changes, and usually paid to have them done. It was costing be a butt load extra because i change tires every 10-15 hours so i decided to struggle through it and learn how to do it myself and what works for me. In short, its 50% having the right tools and 50% technique.

Must haves, in my opinion:
- 2 tire spoons, minimum. Ideally 3. I have 2 spoons + a longer tire iron for the tough sections.
- Plastic rim protectors. I have 4 of them. All my bikes have black rims.
- Motion Pro bead buddy
- Some sort of soap. (lubes the bead. Dry rubber is sticky. silly )
- Baby powder. (helps prevent tube chafing).

Nice to haves:
- Tire changing stand. I usually use the tailgate of my truck. Whatever you use, having the wheel at about waist height is ideal.
- 4th tire spoon or iron.

|

8/1/2020 6:59 AM

DaBaum44 wrote:

X2 on the Baja no pinch tool. I actually look forward to changing tires now with this tool. Makes installation so much better. The most difficult part is figuring out the right amount of tension, but you will get it dialed in within one tire change

tobz wrote:

Does it scratch rims? It looks like it easily would

No

|