Track Prep... Less is more.

philG
For the second race in a row, we have had a great bunch of Moto's , simply because they laid up on ripping the track to death .

Just goes to show that the less you rip it , the better the racing , and the less you water it , the better the racing .

That was Motocross.

Not Rut-O- Cross

Do it for the next one, just to prove it wasnt a fluke.
|
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
6/19/2021 2:15pm
philG wrote:
For the second race in a row, we have had a great bunch of Moto's , simply because they laid up on ripping the track to...
For the second race in a row, we have had a great bunch of Moto's , simply because they laid up on ripping the track to death .

Just goes to show that the less you rip it , the better the racing , and the less you water it , the better the racing .

That was Motocross.

Not Rut-O- Cross

Do it for the next one, just to prove it wasnt a fluke.
I don’t think it is that cut and dry but I do like the racing so far.
Motodave15
6/19/2021 2:16pm
Yep, our sport thrives when the track conditions are like they've been for the past two races.

Made the racing damn exciting
Stewable
6/19/2021 2:20pm
Couldn't agree more. Dry tracks seem to improve the racing immensely.
aeffertz
6/19/2021 8:46pm
It was so nice to see all the different lines being used and the riders being able to cut down and across corners. Amazing couple of races, tracks were still rough but created way better racing by not having one fast line around the entire track all day. The dust didn’t really even seem to be that bad on TV but I wasn’t there in person.

That 2nd 450 moto was one of the best races I’ve watched in a while. Dylan pulling out the uphill triple, Roczen coming out of no where multiple times around the outside of people, Tomac creating new jump lines and going beast mode again. Great day of racing on a track with its own character. Let’s hope they let RedBud return to its original form and we get another great race track.

The Shop

JustMX
6/20/2021 5:23am
Realistically,

I bet they took a chance and left the track drier than they normally would because of the rain in the forecast.

If the forecast were sunny, hot and dry then it would have to be deeper and wetter simply because with conditions like that and the minimum time in between motos it would be about impossible to keep it from getting so dusty that it looks terrible on tv. Between hotlaps and stragglers there is about an hour each moto that you cant do any track work, so you get about 10-15 minutes in between to water and do any track work without leaving any soft spots or greasy hardpack. That is the reason it is often the way it is, so there is moisture to bring up.

I am glad it played out the way it did this time because that was some absolutely awesome racing.
CPR
6/20/2021 5:49am
I agree, great to see elite riders being able to use all of their skill. Really mixes it up and the racing has been brilliant so far.
The track surfaces of recent years were starting to be a bit homogeneous. Motocross should have variety. Hope it continues.
Crush
6/20/2021 6:03am
I think this was the best High Point has looked in years… layout, dirt, prep. A real moto track.

Some deep, some ruts, some slick, some loam, some sandy-ish, some shiny, some dust…. Rollers, off cambers, jumps, wide and great passing.

Keep that up and the AMA riders will start winning MXdN races again soon!
Bultaco
6/20/2021 6:11am
The High Point track, yesterday, was as much a star in the racing as the guys riding it. The second 450 moto was a classic watch-over-and-over moto, before it ended.
philG
6/20/2021 6:50am
The sooner they realise that ' loads of lines' as not 6 parallel ruts in every corner, the better... how good was the bit past pit lane , and the wall turn, go where you like , if he goes there , you go here. Proper racing.
DonM
6/20/2021 8:26am
Track was awesome, track prep was spot on and that shit show of a team scored two moto wins….Wink
sandtrack315
6/20/2021 8:39am
Track looked perfect to me on TV. The deeper and wetter track prep problem is compounded by the fact that we use practice as qualifying, so everyone hammers one line, and that’s the hot line until it’s too rough in moto 2. Id like to see it ripped and watered a bit more, but have more untimed practice to let riders break the track in more naturally.
jtmaster
6/20/2021 8:40am
If only you could get local tracks to stop with all the freaking ruts now too.
philG
6/20/2021 9:12am
jtmaster wrote:
If only you could get local tracks to stop with all the freaking ruts now too.
Yup... had that today , track was a swamp wjhen all the ground around it was dry enough to drive on.

Crush
6/20/2021 9:28am
Also having the wall turn and the old GP section. Excellent,

Bonus points next year for the super harsh slap down double in the GP section. Give the fans what they want!
BobPA
6/20/2021 11:57am
I really hope the owners of 'Dilla get this message....that, and maybe they could bulldoze some of the SC sections that have been plaguing that track for years.
Zachintosh
6/20/2021 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2021 12:11pm
BobPA wrote:
I really hope the owners of 'Dilla get this message....that, and maybe they could bulldoze some of the SC sections that have been plaguing that track...
I really hope the owners of 'Dilla get this message....that, and maybe they could bulldoze some of the SC sections that have been plaguing that track for years.
Agreed. Unadilla seems to be the worst offender when it comes to rutocross/slot car racing nowadays.
philG
6/20/2021 12:27pm
BobPA wrote:
I really hope the owners of 'Dilla get this message....that, and maybe they could bulldoze some of the SC sections that have been plaguing that track...
Funnily enough, when we were over from the UK for MX Rewind in 2019, they left the track with grass on because they were expecting a storm on the friday night, we had a great grass track on the other side of the road on the friday afternoon, and it proper rained after... practice saturday had a bit of slime on the top, but for the races , it was prime, no ruts, apart from where we rejoined the start straight, and just lovely small berms and a few grooves you could hook into.

Was awesome.

Post a reply to: Track Prep... Less is more.

The Latest