Terry Good collection-Major score!

bents
Fantasy
710th
Edited Date/Time 8/27/2019 6:43am
https://motocrossactionmag.com/roger-decosters-personal-bikes-memorabil…

Could you imagine this collection? Would definitely travel to see this once it is complete. "The Man" is a walking encyclopedia of all things motorcycling, especially the birth of MX. Man this Terry Good has sure built up a lot of trust and good will over the years to be able to acquire this collection.
|
Moto Mofo
8/12/2019 9:18am
Terry Good reported a few months ago that he has Joel Robert moving to the US to be the museum’s curator!
chuckie108
8/12/2019 12:19pm
Amazing!! Didn't even know RD had kept so many pieces of his history. Can't wait to see what items Terry Good displays!
str8line
8/12/2019 12:36pm

That is so friggin cool. Good on Roger for keeping everything and putting it somewhere it belongs.

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
710th
8/12/2019 12:46pm
Its takes an awful lot to fill up almost 2 semi's full of stuff. Will look forward to seeing all of it at some point.
8/12/2019 8:43pm
Terry tells a great story of one of his visits to Roger's place involving some adult beverages and firing up one of the old factory scoots with an open stinger pipe at 11 PM one Saturday night out in Roger's garage.

Bet that made the neighbors happy.Tongue
Bearuno
8/13/2019 3:23pm
Is the Museum open to the public?

I might be able to swing a couple of days in Chicago on my way to Mont Sainte Anne and the MTB World Championships.

Great to see RD's collection staying together, and going under Good's stewardship. I hope Terry has many, many, many, years ahead for himself, but also that he has the ability to ensure his collections future beyond his lifetime. Seriously, from what I've seen on his website over the years, it's a truly wondrous collection.
Alex814
8/13/2019 5:31pm
Any idea where we can get more info on this museum besides the mxworksbike.com website?
motogrady
8/13/2019 7:24pm

I don't want to be downer.

This just popped up in a conversation, with a vintage guy whose name will not be mentioned.
We were talking about the TM400s. This guy collects, and was lamenting on how hard they were getting to find.
Asked him if he ever saw or heard of any of the factory/ works stuff zook had, the 370s.
Nope, he told me, they were all crushed.

I mentioned both what was Primm, and is, the Good collections
He knew all the stories, and said there are rumors out there, concerning ownership.
Apparently, a few of the factories, and he would not name them, feel there are bikes out there that, for whatever reason,
were not crushed. Or returned to them like they were supposed to be at the end of their respective season.

And that technically, they still own them. That they, the factories, never sold them to anyone. Even tho they may have been overlooked when the vans went out to round them up, no bills of sale, or titles, were ever issued.

That is their view.

So, I asked if there is any rumor of any of the factories making plans to try and get these bikes back,
Said at this point in time, he hasn't heard of any of them, the factories involved, moving that way, yet.
Only that they feel, the bikes in question, belong to them..

Just something that came up in a conversation I found kinda interesting.

Sully
8/13/2019 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2019 7:57pm
motogrady wrote:
I don't want to be downer. This just popped up in a conversation, with a vintage guy whose name will not be mentioned. We were talking...

This just popped up in a conversation, with a vintage guy whose name will not be mentioned.
We were talking about the TM400s. This guy collects, and was lamenting on how hard they were getting to find.
Asked him if he ever saw or heard of any of the factory/ works stuff zook had, the 370s.

He knew all the stories, and said there are rumors out there, concerning ownership.
Apparently, a few of the factories, and he would not name them, feel there are bikes out there that, for whatever reason,
were not crushed. Or returned to them like they were supposed to be at the end of their respective season.

And that technically, they still own them. That they, the factories, never sold them to anyone. Even tho they may have been overlooked when the vans went out to round them up, no bills of sale, or titles, were ever issued.

That is their view.

So, I asked if there is any rumor of any of the factories making plans to try and get these bikes back,
Said at this point in time, he hasn't heard of any of them, the factories involved, moving that way, yet.

In regards to this thread, I would think that if it was that big of a deal, Suzuki would have knocked on DeCoster's door at some point in the 15+ years he worked there and taken them back.
Dust601
8/13/2019 8:02pm
So cool, would love to travel to Chicago, and check it out once they get all the new stuff sorted out, and on display. I’ve heard of the museum before, but have never really been able to find much info on it
bents
Fantasy
710th
8/13/2019 8:56pm
I'm hoping that Terry Good does make this a public place for regular viewing.
MX Culture
8/13/2019 8:59pm
Someone get me an address and I’ll check it out and do a vid or photo report.
Moto Mofo
8/13/2019 9:11pm
The grand opening date hasn’t been announced yet.
bents
Fantasy
710th
8/26/2019 8:11pm
Love those Camel leathers! And the entire collection, I mean, wow.
APLMAN99
8/27/2019 3:37am
motogrady wrote:
I don't want to be downer. This just popped up in a conversation, with a vintage guy whose name will not be mentioned. We were talking...

That is their view.

Since most of the bikes would be “works”, hand built machines, it’s unlikely that there are any titles/MSOs/VIN numbers to establish legal ownership like there could be with a production bike.

After 40+ years it would probably be difficult to establish a paper trail showing that the bikes didn’t belong to the person in possession of them now. Not impossible, but unlikely.
EngIceDave
8/27/2019 4:52am
It's no secret that if you wander around the GOAT Farm, there are parts and frames laying all over. May not be "legal race frames," but that doesn't mean one-off frames for testing don't exist, or that works engines, swing arms, shocks, forks or anything else isn't laying about.
motogrady
8/27/2019 4:56am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Since most of the bikes would be “works”, hand built machines, it’s unlikely that there are any titles/MSOs/VIN numbers to establish legal ownership like there could...
Since most of the bikes would be “works”, hand built machines, it’s unlikely that there are any titles/MSOs/VIN numbers to establish legal ownership like there could be with a production bike.

After 40+ years it would probably be difficult to establish a paper trail showing that the bikes didn’t belong to the person in possession of them now. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Ya, agreed.
Plus, think of the public relations fiasco they would bring upon themselves.
str8line
8/27/2019 6:19am
bents wrote:
Love those Camel leathers! And the entire collection, I mean, wow.

When zipper-down ventilation was all you had. Can't even imagine two 45 minute motos in those things.

Post a reply to: Terry Good collection-Major score!

The Latest