Shoei or 6D?

I’m a B class racer based out of California and I’ve been with Shoei ever since I was about eight years old in the 50 class, so I know their helmets designs, comfortability, and overall quality very well. I recently got a sponsorship offer from 6D and was wondering about opinions on the helmet itself, and what it has to offer. I’ve worn and ridden in a 6D on a few deprecate occasions, but never enough to form a solid opinion on them because I always revert back to the sweet, sweet Shoei. Just trying to see how they last in the long run with everyone so I can make a more educated decision lol
|
Spudnut
1/4/2019 1:51pm
If it wasn’t for the technology 6D basically invented I wouldn’t be riding today.

I had some bleeding on my brain from a crash that led up to an episode of seizures off and on for a few years. Not long after my brain was fully healed my father and I heard a lot about 6D and what they had to offer. After doing some research of my own and talking to my neurologist a bit I realized this design was exactly what I needed so I went out and bought a brand new 6D and rode dads bike for a year then went and got my very own brand new bike.

So you could say I’m a little biased in their favor
atrdrvr7
1/4/2019 2:15pm
6D. Shoei's rotational protection is only in the dome of the helmet. 6D has full coverage.
ktmdan
1/4/2019 2:18pm
I believe there are two models of 6d right? Something like atr-1 and atr-2. Would you say the earlier model is better than the shoei?

The Shop

1/4/2019 5:01pm
ktmdan wrote:
I believe there are two models of 6d right? Something like atr-1 and atr-2. Would you say the earlier model is better than the shoei?
The atr-2 is the newer version of the helmet that released not too long ago, so I’d say it’s the more advanced and safe iteration of it
1/4/2019 5:03pm
Spudnut wrote:
If it wasn’t for the technology 6D basically invented I wouldn’t be riding today. I had some bleeding on my brain from a crash that led...
If it wasn’t for the technology 6D basically invented I wouldn’t be riding today.

I had some bleeding on my brain from a crash that led up to an episode of seizures off and on for a few years. Not long after my brain was fully healed my father and I heard a lot about 6D and what they had to offer. After doing some research of my own and talking to my neurologist a bit I realized this design was exactly what I needed so I went out and bought a brand new 6D and rode dads bike for a year then went and got my very own brand new bike.

So you could say I’m a little biased in their favor
Thanks for your story man, moto can be one hell of a dangerous time. Hope it can help you be more safe in the future of your endeavors, that’ll for sure be something that I think about in my decision, much appreciated
Cokeham23
1/4/2019 5:05pm
Debating this myself. I’ve always worn Shoei, but recently had a mild crash and got a slight concussion. Not sure if the outcome would’ve been any different in a 6D, but it has me thinking of trying something else.
kb228
1/4/2019 5:13pm
I own a shoei rf1200 and love it. So far nobodys material quality matches it.

I think if you want quality you go shoei.

6d might edge out shoei for safety, but only slightly.
mx317
1/4/2019 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2019 5:39pm
I've worn Arai for the last 20 or so years, but ordered a 6D ATR-2 today. I used the keefertested120 code and got 15% off making it $590. I hope it fits as well as the Arai.
shunter986
Fantasy
647th
1/4/2019 6:21pm
I have been running a shoei For the last 3 years it’s a great helmet. I decided I should replace my helmet this year and bought an atr 2. There is a difference just by putting the 6d on. Seems to be a notch ahead of the rest In safety. The quality of the helmet is what I really noticed. It’s beautiful in its craftsmanship!
1/4/2019 8:32pm
6D without a doubt. They definitely have a leg up on everyone else. The ATR-2 is top notch equipment.
cody41
1/5/2019 5:31am
Having had both, I would say go 6d. The 6d looks better as well.
1/5/2019 7:08am
6d fits my oblong grape better than the Shoei. Both are top notch so whichever fits you best.
Indy mxer
1/5/2019 7:26am
I have a 6D and had a Shoei before that. The 6D quality is every bit as good as Shoei. That should not factor into your decision.
That said, I believe in 6D tech. It's a step above the rest.
racerx217
1/5/2019 8:26am
mx317 wrote:
I've worn Arai for the last 20 or so years, but ordered a 6D ATR-2 today. I used the keefertested120 code and got 15% off making...
I've worn Arai for the last 20 or so years, but ordered a 6D ATR-2 today. I used the keefertested120 code and got 15% off making it $590. I hope it fits as well as the Arai.
dang how do you get that discount? just bought a atr2 not to long ago and paid full price....
racerx217
1/5/2019 9:41am
No one bringing up the Bell Moto9 Flex
No because the op was about shoei or 6d. For once something here stayed on topic till now.
mx317
1/5/2019 9:59am
mx317 wrote:
I've worn Arai for the last 20 or so years, but ordered a 6D ATR-2 today. I used the keefertested120 code and got 15% off making...
racerx217 wrote:
dang how do you get that discount? just bought a atr2 not to long ago and paid full price....
I saw it on here and it worked.
1/5/2019 10:09am
I have always worn Shoei and it was the first brand I wanted to sell when We started to offer more then graphics at my shop. I also used to paint helmets so I got up close and personal with many brands. As far as quality fit and finish and materials used Shoei, Arai,and 6d always stood out from the others. The newer Bell moto 9 is a step up from the earlier Bells from the 2000's but just a little off from the Shoei,6d and Arai. I think that the attention to detail that those brands show that they are more likely to be consistently built across all of the production run. And less helmets will get by that are just good enough to pass QC standards. The Shoei VFX- Evo and 6d ATR-1 and ATR-2 have newer tech then the Arai so I would lean more towards one of them. If a Shoei fits your head better then a 6D then it might be a better helmet for you. And the other way too. I think the 6d might help prevent concussions better then the Shoei. And the Shoei shell is most likely harder to penetrate then the 6d. The ECE standard allows for a softer shell then the SNELL . Both will have advantages and disadvantages. If both helmets fit you the same then I would go with a 6D either the ATR-1 or 2 . If the Shoei fits better then it might be a better choice for you. Both will save your life. The 6d can be rebuilt as long as the shell is not damaged. I am not aware of any Shoei program for rebuilding a helmet. With that said if you send your 6D in to get rebuilt and 6d decides that it is not repairable they will remove the straps and send it back unusable. So you might have to replace it anyway like any other brand. I have no reason to think that the 6d would be damaged to the point of being unusable any easier then other brands , but something to keep in mind if the rebuild program is the main reason you want the 6d. As of the time I am writing this we do not sell 6d helmets here at my shop and only sell Shoei so I might be a little biased towards Shoei. I am not trying to advertise , I just think that I should disclose the fact that I sell Shoei helmets so that anybody reading this knows I could benefit from recommending one brand over the other. Leatt has some great videos out that talk about helmet design and the info in them can be helpful for understanding why one helmet might be safer then another.
Brentyancich
1/5/2019 11:11am
I've had a few shoei vfw w helmets and loved them. I bought a clearance 6D ATR 1 but it didn't fit my head . Ultimately went back to shoei with the Vfx evo. Both are premium helmets but I suspect shoei fit favors your head
Doddy
1/5/2019 11:20am
Made in China keeps me away from 6D.

Post a reply to: Shoei or 6D?

The Latest