RaceTech Do it your self anyone ?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/11/2019 12:00 PM

Is anyone doing there suspension revalving by themselves with help by Racetech kits ? i have done it before and thinking im going to do it my self on my current kx450 2018 with sff spring forks. just wonder if anyone does it or if its wase of money and i should just send it out to a company.

|

4/11/2019 12:04 PM

Have you tried revalving the stock components?

|

4/11/2019 12:17 PM

The race tech “DYI” kits are nice and easy. Mostly, because you can login to their data base and print out a few different stack combos based on what you think you’d like. And there kits come with several shims to change out the stack to whatever you wish.

|

4/11/2019 12:26 PM

many race tech dealers that do suspension go by race tech recommendations. They reach out to race tech and give them the specs of the bike and rider and race tech gives them the settings a adjustments to use. No reason why you cant do the same thing.

|

4/11/2019 12:29 PM

fourfourone wrote:

many race tech dealers that do suspension go by race tech recommendations. They reach out to race tech and give them the specs of the bike and rider and race tech gives them the settings a adjustments to use. No reason why you cant do the same thing.

ah ok that sounds good, so that's basically means that it is very much testing behind the specs on there valving site.

|

4/11/2019 12:29 PM

I had a local suspension guy do my gold valves. I didn't feel like paying FC 500 dollars to adjust the shim stack and adjust the oil height witch is what there basic KYB "revalve" is. $350 out the door with new oem seals, gold valve kit and labor.

|

4/11/2019 12:31 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

Have you tried revalving the stock components?

no i have not, i know that i could do the "same" with stock components but where to start really? i have no testing done and i would have to buy the shims and where i live the shims are not super cheap.

|

4/11/2019 12:31 PM

fourfourone wrote:

I had a local suspension guy do my gold valves. I didn't feel like paying FC 500 dollars to adjust the shim stack and adjust the oil height witch is what there basic KYB "revalve" is. $350 out the door with new oem seals, gold valve kit and labor.

happy with it ? what bike do you have ?

|

4/11/2019 12:34 PM

fourfourone wrote:

sebastianer wrote:

ah ok that sounds good, so that's basically means that it is very much testing behind the specs on there valving site.

you can call them too before you order and they will hook you up. They have great customer service.

|

4/11/2019 12:35 PM

fourfourone wrote:

sebastianer wrote:

happy with it ? what bike do you have ?

17 yz450.

Bike was pretty good stock, but it took some of the harshness out and made the forks feel more plush.

|

4/11/2019 12:37 PM

work with the stock components... but post a pic of the mid valve in the fork. Sometimes the midvalves have spring collars that are restrictive to flow.

Here is a pic of a std mid
valve and the RT one. Notice the smaller spring collar on the RT one.

|

4/11/2019 12:38 PM

I have done it this way for several years on several bikes. I cringe when i hear my friends say they just sent their stuff off. Had 2 last month send out forks and shocks to FC, $475 for the forks, $280 for the shock. No revalve, just oil, seals and springs. Laughed... 2 weekends ago they spent half the ride day chasing settings. Still not happy with it. Coulda been happy and saved some coin going the Race Tech route

|

4/11/2019 12:38 PM

fourfourone wrote:

sebastianer wrote:

fourfourone wrote:

you can call them too before you order and they will hook you up. They have great customer service.

Yes they do, they helped me valve 450 forks for my 125 very happy with the results. First time I revalved forks and a shock wasn't to bad.

|

4/11/2019 1:17 PM

Dtat720 wrote:

I have done it this way for several years on several bikes. I cringe when i hear my friends say they just sent their stuff off. Had 2 last month send out forks and shocks to FC, $475 for the forks, $280 for the shock. No revalve, just oil, seals and springs. Laughed... 2 weekends ago they spent half the ride day chasing settings. Still not happy with it. Coulda been happy and saved some coin going the Race Tech route

RT quoted me like $900 with pulp discount to fix my 4cs forks on my 15 350... I will get a new bike before i sink a grand into some forks.. When I got the quote, i didn't even know what to say.

|

I miss

4/11/2019 1:36 PM

Just keep in mind that quality of products make a big difference in the life and feel of said products. We are RaceTech dealers and love their products! We have seen customers do it themselves with some good and some not so good results. If you are a good enough mechanic and have the correct tools go for it!

|

2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2012 YZ125 2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

4/11/2019 5:27 PM

Dtat720 wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

RT quoted me like $900 with pulp discount to fix my 4cs forks on my 15 350... I will get a new bike before i sink a grand into some forks.. When I got the quote, i didn't even know what to say.

That seems to be going rate for fixing the 4CS

|

4/11/2019 5:31 PM

I did a set myself. Was happy with it.

|

4/11/2019 10:21 PM

crowe176 wrote:

Unfortunately, that’s the result of a production fork that needs a ton of work. It is a ton of parts. The labor rate is the same as any other bike. That isn’t the norm for most bikes.

Can you improve the 4CS with less? Yes. But to get it to the best we can make it, there are a lot of pieces of the puzzle.

Hope that makes sense.

|

Race Tech Director of Marketing
www.racetech.com
Proud supporters of VitalMX. Ask me about the VitalMX Discount!

4/12/2019 1:00 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

Riesenberg448 wrote:

Unfortunately, that’s the result of a production fork that needs a ton of work. It is a ton of parts. The labor rate is the same as any other bike. That isn’t the norm for most bikes.

Can you improve the 4CS with less? Yes. But to get it to the best we can make it, there are a lot of pieces of the puzzle.

Hope that makes sense.

Absolutely, and like BAMX said, that seems to be the going rate. RT was the only route I considered, so when I got the estimate, I was just bummed. My only complaint is the horrible bottoming and some breaking bump harshness, so to spend that much is just irritating to me lol.

It’s just mind boggling that my last two four strokes, (I was on RM 250’s after 07) 03/05 CRF’s had way better forks than those 4cs.. It all good though, as Its forced me to scramble for a 19 yzf and ultimately will be happier.

|

I miss

4/12/2019 2:10 AM

Race tech built me the best fork and shock set up I’ve ever ran on my 12 kaw 450. I’ve ran RG3 a kit on my 2008 Honda’s and the race tech kit blew it out of the water. 2018 I ran a Honda and couldn’t get any settings even as good as stock from them. Went to FC and first shot they dialed it in. Still wasn’t as good as race tech did on my kawys but better than stock and 1,000,000 times better than race tech Honda setting for me. Can’t knock them because they didn’t do it but the guy that did was very reputable. Had the forks valved 2 times and the shock 5-6.

|

4/12/2019 4:35 AM

I have my Local Race Tech guy Eric Brown from EB SUSPENSION in Burlington IA do my stuff. I rode my RACETECH stuff back to back with a "FULL " FC set up on my buddies honda and the FC stuff didnt come close to how good my stuff felt. All that being said Im not afraid to do my own work either and I have a project bike that I intend to do the DIY Race Tech kit to. Paul Thede has great instructional videos on YouTube also.
#RTRIPPER

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

4/12/2019 4:48 AM

crowe176 wrote:

"I should have bought a Yamaha."

OP, everyone else, get on the ThumperTalk suspension forum.

|

4/12/2019 5:35 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

KDXGarage wrote:

"I should have bought a Yamaha."

OP, everyone else, get on the ThumperTalk suspension forum.

It’s happening this weekend lol

|

I miss