New motocrosser

mxdad92
Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 2:54pm
My boy is 6 and loves watching racing on TV. I rode bmx as a kid, so I kinda know what's going on. I wanna surprise him with a bike. What kind of bike should I get him and what else do we need! Thanks community
|
mxdad92
7/9/2019 4:49am
kb228 wrote:
CR500
500 seems much. I can't find that bike

The Shop

KMC440
7/9/2019 4:55am
Pw50 will be fine and readily available parts make it the best option to start on.
If he wants to race then that's a whole other ballgame.
Have fun!

and ... STFU NOOB! Cool
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
7/9/2019 5:02am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 5:07am
kb228 wrote:
CR500
mxdad92 wrote:
it is ongoing Vitard meme.

The CR500 has ceased the production in 2001 and it is the gnarliest and least beginner-friendly bike in known universe. When you grab it's throttle and it does seemingly nothing and then you break sound barrier in split second.

I really encourage you too look up some old 500ccm GP MX footage with sound. The low RPMs and sudden wrist blast coming from the corner is something else than you get with modern tamed down 4strokes.

I would also encourage you to go for PW50 or maybe KTM 50SX which is more "advanced" bike.
mh226
7/9/2019 5:11am
Depending on your boys height and weight a fourstroke 50 or 110 may be your best bet. Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's make great beginner bikes. The PW may be small as its geared towards ages 4-6 so he could be at the high end of that class.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
7/9/2019 5:18am
mh226 wrote:
Depending on your boys height and weight a fourstroke 50 or 110 may be your best bet. Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's make great beginner bikes...
Depending on your boys height and weight a fourstroke 50 or 110 may be your best bet. Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's make great beginner bikes. The PW may be small as its geared towards ages 4-6 so he could be at the high end of that class.
This is true. If hes good on a 2 wheeled bicycle and physically strong enough fot a little more weight my pick would be the honda crf50. The honda has a shifter as well the pw is just twist and go.
shuggs
7/9/2019 5:40am
mh226 wrote:
Depending on your boys height and weight a fourstroke 50 or 110 may be your best bet. Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's make great beginner bikes...
This, depends how tall he is. I would guess that a PW will do nothing for him.
Question
7/9/2019 7:09am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 7:11am
Efficient/Economical way:

- A little PW50 to get his feet wet and to not scare him. To use 3 or 6 months (i recommend 6 months). Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil.

- Then a PW80 to gain speed, not scare him, build technique and confidence. To use 6 months to 2 years depending on his size (I would recommend a year+, if he rides a lot). Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil.

- 6 months after the pw80, in parallel maybe try as mentioned a Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's. To use 6 months to 2 years depending on his size. Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil. Yes it is an extra budget but the resell value of the pw80 and crf or ttr = quite enough to start with a 65kx (or a couple 65kx).

- Then 65 kx for 1 to 2 years (until he is 9 or 10). It won't cost too much to operate but my advice is the learn how to maintain a bike from A to Z from the PW, it will save you a ton of money in maintenance later. He can learn that at the same time. Racing is possible for fun, it is possible to drop 50k to be really competitive but unless you are loaded it is not really necessary.

- Then from 9 or 10, 80cc (ktm/kx/yz/rm), where there are 2 routes : keeping it as a relatively not too expensive hobby (second hand bikes, and a 125 from 13 or 14), or going the racing route where things get more serious and the budget (and support) also depends of his level at that time.

A good way to keep it real is : great results at school + great behavior & surroundings = dirt bike during the week end. (This should help especially between 12 to 18!)

Good luck !

bigmaico
7/9/2019 7:31am
Question wrote:
Efficient/Economical way: - A little PW50 to get his feet wet and to not scare him. To use 3 or 6 months (i recommend 6 months)...

- A little PW50 to get his feet wet and to not scare him. To use 3 or 6 months (i recommend 6 months). Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil.

- Then a PW80 to gain speed, not scare him, build technique and confidence. To use 6 months to 2 years depending on his size (I would recommend a year+, if he rides a lot). Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil.

- 6 months after the pw80, in parallel maybe try as mentioned a Honda's CRF's and Yamaha's TT-R's. To use 6 months to 2 years depending on his size. Buy clean second hand = resell for more or less the same price, so the budget is mainly gas and oil. Yes it is an extra budget but the resell value of the pw80 and crf or ttr = quite enough to start with a 65kx (or a couple 65kx).

- Then 65 kx for 1 to 2 years (until he is 9 or 10). It won't cost too much to operate but my advice is the learn how to maintain a bike from A to Z from the PW, it will save you a ton of money in maintenance later. He can learn that at the same time. Racing is possible for fun, it is possible to drop 50k to be really competitive but unless you are loaded it is not really necessary.

- Then from 9 or 10, 80cc (ktm/kx/yz/rm), where there are 2 routes : keeping it as a relatively not too expensive hobby (second hand bikes, and a 125 from 13 or 14), or going the racing route where things get more serious and the budget (and support) also depends of his level at that time.

A good way to keep it real is : great results at school + great behavior & surroundings = dirt bike during the week end. (This should help especially between 12 to 18!)

Good luck !

Question:

That's a well thought out plan!

the only thing I can add is for Dad to take the boy out to the local track & talk with the other Dads & see what they can tell you.

Good Luck!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/9/2019 7:37am
My $.02 ? PW50 and just have fun. If it's a little small for him good, small bikes are easy to ride. Teach him stop, show him how it goes, and then just let him play. No instructions (other than the basics) no coaching or seriousness of any kind. If he has fun he'll be hooked, too much pressure to be better, or faster, or have better technique, and he'll lose interest. His first memories of riding should be freedom and exciting fun. He's got his whole life to be serious. Treat it like a toy, the funnest toy you'll ever have. Not trying to be all preachy but I've seen friends kids get turned off when every time they get on the stupid thing it's a lesson. Have fun Cool

Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
7/9/2019 7:56am
When I taught my two girls to ride the first thing I showed them was how to stop. This is very important. I would hold the bike and let them go for 10-20 foot then let them stop the bike. I’ve seen several kids including myself get hurt because they freak out once they get going and end up hitting something to stop. Pw50 is a great starter bike.
Paw Paw 271
7/9/2019 7:57am
PW 80 is what I started my 2 grandson's on at that age. It was just a bit big for their short legs, but they figured it out very quickly and we did not have to buy new bikes a year later. WE then went to 65's, 85's, and then 250F's.

Paw Paw
mxdad92
7/9/2019 8:37am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 8:38am
Thanks to all the replys!!! Great people. I think I'm gonna go pw50. Are fly boots good?
mxdad92
7/9/2019 8:40am
Question wrote:
Efficient/Economical way: - A little PW50 to get his feet wet and to not scare him. To use 3 or 6 months (i recommend 6 months)...

Good luck !

Ya my budget is about $2500 to start with. I should be okay right? Bike and boot and helmet. I have tools and a truck
ElliotB16
7/9/2019 8:41am
PW50. I have a 5 year old that’s not quite big enough for it yet. And for some reason training wheels make the bike harder to turn. I would for sure wait until he’s 7 before getting him a CR500
loftyair
7/9/2019 8:46am
Start him with electric, he might not ever ride ice.
Question
7/9/2019 10:43am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 10:46am
Question wrote:

Good luck !

mxdad92 wrote:
Ya my budget is about $2500 to start with. I should be okay right? Bike and boot and helmet. I have tools and a truck
I don't know too much about the prices in the US but for sure it is a good budget to start with (2k is probably good to go). In term of boots and helmets, I would recommend to try it to make sure he is 100% confortable. A new helmet is necessary about each year (always with MIPS technology, then if really fast a 6D helmet), and in term of boots they grow fast so it can be second hand too. Probably the seller of the pw may have some extras, it is always possible to ask/try.

If things get serious around age 10, I highly recommend to bring 10k or more to buy a few fast bikes directly at Loretta Lynns, in these categories a fast bike is a big difference (that was a mistake for me personally so i was getting a bit smoked riding stock engine and suspensions vs mods). But the most important is to have fun, I am 37 and I still have great memories of when I was 4 to 8, blasting sand berms on these bikes and turning around some riding buddies. It is probably the most difficult part these days, to find a few friends or many friends with bikes ; i have had the luck to ride between 3 to 8 years old 3 afternoon per week in a club that was managed by a driving school (the bike driving school lane was next to the PW track). The track was fun and adapted to these bikes, with tires around, it was also modified yearly (could have been cool to have updates more often), and they had about 10-15 bikes, 5 quad, 5 atc, that we could rent cheap, so a lot of kids were riding. The driving school probably invested like 20-30k and was just making enough money to run, but i guess a lot of those kids passed the car and bike driving licence with them later (200 kids, 10 years later = 200 driving licence = 300k, so a good invest x10 in total Smile ).
McG194
7/9/2019 11:19am
mxdad92 wrote:
Thanks to all the replys!!! Great people. I think I'm gonna go pw50. Are fly boots good?
For what you are doing they are perfect. As far as the PW goes, excellent choice. If you buy used and he grows out of it in 2 years you will still probably get all your money back out of it.
7/9/2019 11:21am
kb228 wrote:
CR500
mxdad92 wrote:
it is ongoing Vitard meme. The CR500 has ceased the production in 2001 and it is the gnarliest and least beginner-friendly bike in known universe. When...

The CR500 has ceased the production in 2001 and it is the gnarliest and least beginner-friendly bike in known universe. When you grab it's throttle and it does seemingly nothing and then you break sound barrier in split second.

I really encourage you too look up some old 500ccm GP MX footage with sound. The low RPMs and sudden wrist blast coming from the corner is something else than you get with modern tamed down 4strokes.

I would also encourage you to go for PW50 or maybe KTM 50SX which is more "advanced" bike.
Based on the relative neophyte level of knowledge the OP has shown in this thread, I wouldn't inflict an SX50 upon him. Those are for mini dads willing and ready to put up with constant maintenance, not for somebody being introduced to bike ownership through their kid.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/9/2019 11:24am
Elbows wrote:
When I taught my two girls to ride the first thing I showed them was how to stop. This is very important. I would hold the...
When I taught my two girls to ride the first thing I showed them was how to stop. This is very important. I would hold the bike and let them go for 10-20 foot then let them stop the bike. I’ve seen several kids including myself get hurt because they freak out once they get going and end up hitting something to stop. Pw50 is a great starter bike.
This.
PW50 is a great bike for this, because they can use both brakes and put both feet down at the same time. As your son grows, he'll have to learn that the rear brake is at the right foot, but that's a quick adjustment.
Ranman68
At 6 years of age, I think the crf 50 is the better choice. The PW 50 is really small. The Crf also has 3 gears as well as an automatic clutch, so he can at least get the concept of upshifting for higher speeds and downshifting for lower speeds before stepping up to bigger bikes.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
My dad started me on a quad and look how well I turned out
mxdad92
7/9/2019 11:40am
mxdad92 wrote:
it is ongoing Vitard meme. The CR500 has ceased the production in 2001 and it is the gnarliest and least beginner-friendly bike in known universe. When...

Based on the relative neophyte level of knowledge the OP has shown in this thread, I wouldn't inflict an SX50 upon him. Those are for mini...
Based on the relative neophyte level of knowledge the OP has shown in this thread, I wouldn't inflict an SX50 upon him. Those are for mini dads willing and ready to put up with constant maintenance, not for somebody being introduced to bike ownership through their kid.
would I spend lots more money on the sx50? It looks more like a race bike!
mxdad92
7/9/2019 11:44am
mxdad92 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
For what you are doing they are perfect. As far as the PW goes, excellent choice. If you buy used and he grows out of it...
For what you are doing they are perfect. As far as the PW goes, excellent choice. If you buy used and he grows out of it in 2 years you will still probably get all your money back out of it.
Yes that would be great. The cheapest way possible for us is best
mxdad92
7/9/2019 11:58am
Question wrote:

Good luck !

mxdad92 wrote:
Question wrote:
I don't know too much about the prices in the US but for sure it is a good budget to start with (2k is probably good...
I don't know too much about the prices in the US but for sure it is a good budget to start with (2k is probably good to go). In term of boots and helmets, I would recommend to try it to make sure he is 100% confortable. A new helmet is necessary about each year (always with MIPS technology, then if really fast a 6D helmet), and in term of boots they grow fast so it can be second hand too. Probably the seller of the pw may have some extras, it is always possible to ask/try.

If things get serious around age 10, I highly recommend to bring 10k or more to buy a few fast bikes directly at Loretta Lynns, in these categories a fast bike is a big difference (that was a mistake for me personally so i was getting a bit smoked riding stock engine and suspensions vs mods). But the most important is to have fun, I am 37 and I still have great memories of when I was 4 to 8, blasting sand berms on these bikes and turning around some riding buddies. It is probably the most difficult part these days, to find a few friends or many friends with bikes ; i have had the luck to ride between 3 to 8 years old 3 afternoon per week in a club that was managed by a driving school (the bike driving school lane was next to the PW track). The track was fun and adapted to these bikes, with tires around, it was also modified yearly (could have been cool to have updates more often), and they had about 10-15 bikes, 5 quad, 5 atc, that we could rent cheap, so a lot of kids were riding. The driving school probably invested like 20-30k and was just making enough money to run, but i guess a lot of those kids passed the car and bike driving licence with them later (200 kids, 10 years later = 200 driving licence = 300k, so a good invest x10 in total Smile ).
I dont know how far we can go. Seems like the bikes get pricey. My 25,000/year might not be enough.
7/9/2019 12:08pm

Based on the relative neophyte level of knowledge the OP has shown in this thread, I wouldn't inflict an SX50 upon him. Those are for mini...
mxdad92 wrote:
would I spend lots more money on the sx50? It looks more like a race bike!
They are a true race bike, and probably the most maintenance intensive motorcycle currently made.
JAC
7/9/2019 12:32pm
Most of the kids start on a Yamaha PW50. It's small, tame, and easy to maintain. Most of the kids in the 4-6 Shaft Class that make it to Loretta's will be trying to sell theirs in August. I'd start shopping there.

You live in a city with quite a few pros. Barcia, Plessinger, RC, and a handful of privateers, including my son. If you get out much you might bump into them.

Good luck

Joey

Question
7/9/2019 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2019 1:12pm
mxdad92 wrote:
Question wrote:
I don't know too much about the prices in the US but for sure it is a good budget to start with (2k is probably good...

mxdad92 wrote:
I dont know how far we can go. Seems like the bikes get pricey. My 25,000/year might not be enough.
No problem with that, based on the risk/reward, it is actually a good thing, school should always comes first. Don't worry most people do it as a hobby and it is great relationship building process between the kids and the parents, and a great sport to build confidence, determination & risk management. Good luck!

Post a reply to: New motocrosser

The Latest