Motocross Engineering

campj313
Edited Date/Time 7/12/2015 9:33pm
Hi, I'm Johnathon Camp. I've been racing my whole life and have won a few amateur nationals. I Gave up my pro career to go to college. Right now i'm a Junior working on my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. I want to find an internship for the summer of 2011, or anytime of 2011. I have tried to email Honda Usa, but have heard nothing back. I know that a lot of jobs, or sponsorships now days are highly orientated with the people you know. So I decided to post this to see if anyone has any advice, input, or connections with anything related to this.
|
zookie
10/13/2010 5:41pm
Take a vacation, travel to california, and do some extreme networking. Emails and phone calls are easily ignored, getting to a facility and talking to people in person is much harder to ignore.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
10/13/2010 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2010 7:45pm
Welcome to Vital MX ,John.

You may want to hit up KTM.

KTM North America Inc
1119 Milan Ave
Amherst, OH

or

38429 Innovation Court
Murrieta, CA 92563

Might want to try writing them a good letter with some type of resume.
You never know,it could work....

Good luck to you!
10/13/2010 5:58pm
I agree with zookie. Get your face in front of as many people in the industry as possible and be persistent without being a pest. If you're genuine, determined and enthusiastic it will show.

Good luck.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
10/13/2010 6:54pm
You will be much better off inquiring with aftermarket companies rather than OEMs since most of the engineering for the OEMs is oversees. An internship with a motor builder or a suspension company, or even an aftermarket parts company with lots of product development and R&D would be much more likely and would probably give you much more hands-on experience than someone like Honda.

The Shop

mx918
10/13/2010 8:27pm
Good Luck with it all.

I just got my bachelors degree in Mech. Eng. last December, so I feel for ya. It's not easy!
txmxer
10/13/2010 8:28pm
Joe Gibbs racing would be a good choice if you can get it.
moto314
10/13/2010 9:44pm
Yes lots of aftermarket companies in Cali, just none that are hiring. You want a paid internship or work for free?
Picardo
10/14/2010 8:58pm
Your mission is to find meaningful engineering experience working under engineering professionals. Trust me, you will need MEANINGFUL experience when you graduate in a year and motocross shops cannot provide a professional like yourself with such experience.

I suggest finding an internship at a medical device company. These type of companies have well defined internship programs and actually pay a pretty good wage for interns.
Try some of these companies: St Jude Medical, Abbot Labs, Boston Scientific, Johnson and Johnson, Tyco Medical, Stryker, and many others. Typically these companies have excellent intership programs.

Another suggestion is just take a job doing Autocad or Solidworks drafting.

Don't be a sucker and take a "fun" motocross industry job.

Picardo
10/14/2010 8:59pm
moto314 wrote:
Yes lots of aftermarket companies in Cali, just none that are hiring. You want a paid internship or work for free?
Are you working as an engineer or still going to school?
1/5/2013 11:48am
Hi my name is Andrew Barr,
I'm a 19 year old student from Portugal that wants to join the motocross industry. I'm ending a professional electronics course that gives me a level 4 degree. I don't know if that means anything in the industry or in any other country besides mine. Motocross is some how a passion that I want to keep. Can someone give me any information about motocross industry? Don't care if its abroad. Anything goes. I'm looking for internships, jobs, learning the fields of expertise and related information.
I would really appreciate the help.
ashwerx7
Fantasy
2636th
1/5/2013 12:21pm
Unless you know someone in the industry or want to work for nothing..do yourself a favor, get a job in another industry and just enjoy riding and being a fan!
dcg141
1/5/2013 12:32pm
Become fluent in Japanese or German.
c3011
1/5/2013 1:19pm
Johnathon, here is some hopefully helpful advice from a mechanical engineer in the oil industry. I'm kind of suprised that you don't have three full semester required co-op's for graduation. Look for some co-op opportunities at an oil or nuke facility in the rotating equipment (pumps, turbines, engines) engineering or maintenance departments. You will get a lot more hands on experience with this stuff than you could ever dream of and the pay for co-op's in these industries is unbelievable to boot. Go to your schools job fairs and ask about prosective employers about their co-op programs and if you can interview for them, if your scool doesn't have this go to a job fair at another school that does have required co-ops. Make sure you ask the prosective employers to clarify how much hands on involvement you will have, as our co-ops gain experience they get tasked with more hands-on activities, avoid being a spread sheet co-op at all costs its a waste of time. A lot of the oil companies especially, have their fingers in racing of various sorts this could be helpful in the long run. Whether you go to work with the company you co-op with or interview with other companies that experience in any field is worth its weight in gold. Good luck!
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/5/2013 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2013 1:44pm
campj313 wrote:
Hi, I'm Johnathon Camp. I've been racing my whole life and have won a few amateur nationals. I Gave up my pro career to go to...
Hi, I'm Johnathon Camp. I've been racing my whole life and have won a few amateur nationals. I Gave up my pro career to go to college. Right now i'm a Junior working on my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. I want to find an internship for the summer of 2011, or anytime of 2011. I have tried to email Honda Usa, but have heard nothing back. I know that a lot of jobs, or sponsorships now days are highly orientated with the people you know. So I decided to post this to see if anyone has any advice, input, or connections with anything related to this.
41NDT
1/5/2013 2:03pm
c3011 wrote:
Johnathon, here is some hopefully helpful advice from a mechanical engineer in the oil industry. I'm kind of suprised that you don't have three full semester...
Johnathon, here is some hopefully helpful advice from a mechanical engineer in the oil industry. I'm kind of suprised that you don't have three full semester required co-op's for graduation. Look for some co-op opportunities at an oil or nuke facility in the rotating equipment (pumps, turbines, engines) engineering or maintenance departments. You will get a lot more hands on experience with this stuff than you could ever dream of and the pay for co-op's in these industries is unbelievable to boot. Go to your schools job fairs and ask about prosective employers about their co-op programs and if you can interview for them, if your scool doesn't have this go to a job fair at another school that does have required co-ops. Make sure you ask the prosective employers to clarify how much hands on involvement you will have, as our co-ops gain experience they get tasked with more hands-on activities, avoid being a spread sheet co-op at all costs its a waste of time. A lot of the oil companies especially, have their fingers in racing of various sorts this could be helpful in the long run. Whether you go to work with the company you co-op with or interview with other companies that experience in any field is worth its weight in gold. Good luck!
Great advice. I feel the prob with a lot of these seekers is they don't look outside the box. You don't have to go straight into your industry of choice especially MX where spots are very limited. It will,probably be quicker to go outside the industry then come back to MX and if that don't work then you have gained experience in an industry outside of MX thus expanding your résumé. Just don't give up on your goals or knowledge expansion
bd
1/5/2013 3:24pm
Follow your dreams.... live your purpose.

Contact companies like:

* Pro Circuit
* Works Connection
* ARC
* Factory Connection
* Hinson
* Yosh

etc.
bd
1/5/2013 3:26pm
c3011 wrote:
Johnathon, here is some hopefully helpful advice from a mechanical engineer in the oil industry. I'm kind of suprised that you don't have three full semester...
41NDT wrote:
Great advice. I feel the prob with a lot of these seekers is they don't look outside the box. You don't have to go straight into...
Great advice. I feel the prob with a lot of these seekers is they don't look outside the box. You don't have to go straight into your industry of choice especially MX where spots are very limited. It will,probably be quicker to go outside the industry then come back to MX and if that don't work then you have gained experience in an industry outside of MX thus expanding your résumé. Just don't give up on your goals or knowledge expansion
Great advice. You can move into MX industry later. Pick up book, "Never Eat Alone." You need skill, and strong network.
Hando
1/5/2013 4:09pm
Not an engineer but hear me out

Your first years out of college are crucial and you need a mentor and someone to guide you so you actually learn something.

The MX industry is full of really stupid, unprofessional people and if you managed to get an internship at a team you would be doing yourself a disservice. While your friends got internships at real companies that actually provide value to society, you would be working for free at some podunk shop that is probably owned by someone who didn't even graduate high school.

I would also start reading more about motorcycle setup in your spare time.
Hando
1/5/2013 4:14pm
If this is you...

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/johnathon-camp/41/59a/796

Why on earth would you want to work in the mx industry if you've had 2 legitimate internships at SpaceX and Tesla?

I knew someone who interned at SpaceX and he was fucking SMART. Working in MX would be a step back from you, you're obviously a smart guy.
campj313
1/5/2013 6:03pm
Hando, yes that's my linkedin account. I have interned with both SpaceX and Tesla, but motocross is what i've been doing since I was a child. Money doesn't really matter to me. I just want to wake up every morning and love going to work.
c3011
1/5/2013 7:31pm
Most everyone in the technical end of MX raacing (mechanics/engineers) have gained experience working for free for a good local racer and moved up from there are their repuation/contacts grew. Getting something in an industry with rotating equipement would be ideal to help you convince someone to let you help them, and with the other experience atleast you have something to pay the bills while you pursue your dream.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
1/5/2013 7:47pm
TannerMxer wrote:
Join LinkedIn as well.
This. Use it and keep current. This is true for any industry.
APLMAN99
1/5/2013 8:10pm
I don't know how the whole job market is for engineers, but my oldest son (17) will graduate from high school this year with a full year of college physics, 4 college quarters of calculus, diff eq., etc., and he has at least 4 paid internship offers for his summer. Seems to be a bit of demand in at least he electrical, civil, and computer engineering fields. I'd imagine the mechanical area would be pretty well in demand also.
zookie
1/6/2013 12:39am
campj313 wrote:
Hando, yes that's my linkedin account. I have interned with both SpaceX and Tesla, but motocross is what i've been doing since I was a child...
Hando, yes that's my linkedin account. I have interned with both SpaceX and Tesla, but motocross is what i've been doing since I was a child. Money doesn't really matter to me. I just want to wake up every morning and love going to work.
Please take this to heart...

As someone who worked/interned with automotive dream companies and for motorcycle teams, I can say without a doubt in my older more mature years that I am now, that you should keep your hobbies and work separate. Money may not matter now, but without $$ your hobbies are gone. Trust me. Keep them separate. If you didn't like SpaceX or Tesla (I have friends that work at both and have toured both facilities), then you will not like anywhere you can work as an engineer.

Go work for SpaceX or Tesla. SpaceX or Tesla will be much better for your resume and experience in the long run...
ando
1/6/2013 12:52am
First, I doubt, except for a few people who actually work for the factories (in the design/production areas), that there are actually any qualified, professional engineers working in the motocross industry. Probably lots of people who say they do "engineering" though.

Second, if you are prepared to go outside your comfort zone (and your own country), take a long hard look at oil/gas and/or mining. Places like Canada and Australia pay a lot money for quality graduates (a good first year graduate in Australia can easily make $100,000 a year, that's not a misprint), plus you will get professional and leadership development opportunities you could only dream about in other industries.

With that kind of income you can set yourself up for life, and get as much into motocross as you want.

Ando
campj313
1/6/2013 5:13am
Thanks for all the comments everyone. It does seem unlikely to me that a motocross job would work out. It makes sense to keep hobbies and work separate. I do want to clarify that I did enjoy working at Tesla and Spacex. I'm actually going through and interview process right now with SpaceX for a job as an integration engineer for the 2nd stage rocket engine. They want to fly me from Florida to LA for an in person interview after my phone one a couple weeks ago.

I'm not entirely sure if ill go or not since I have a graduate research assistant position lined up at my college, Embry-Riddle, to get a free masters and get paid while doing it. Chances are i'm going to stay in school for 2 more years.

It's a tough decision to make. Would it make sense to take a free masters degree or go to work for a really cool job right away?
rallendude
1/6/2013 6:20am
Johnathan, glad to see a moto folk interested in a technical career. I used to want the same as you, a job in motocross. I am a degreed mechanical engineer. I have never pursued my PE because it just won't benefit me in the industry I have chosen to stick with. If you'd asked me in college where I'd end up, I'd have told you designing car and motorcycle parts. While I've toyed with that some on my own, that is not where my path led me.

I ended up getting a part time job in coal mining while in school which played into a permanent position after graduation. After a few years I did the "grass is greener" thing and went to work for less money and less hours at a small machine shop. I got a ton of valuable experience in designing and building solutions to all sorts of heavy industrial problems. After doing that for myself a couple of years I have ended up back in mining at the same company I started with.

Find a place you like the people at, that challenges you and can keep you employed for a long time. Stick with it and set your lifestyle up so you can live comfortably at the salary you will make. Before you know it, you'll be planning retirement at an early age and you can do what you want.

As for the Masters in Engineering, I'd choose an MBA over that. In my experience a Masters in Engineering won't do much for you in the real world. Good luck with it all.

Oh, I think I parked next to you at Parker Valley, NC at a LL regional in like 2003.

Post a reply to: Motocross Engineering

The Latest