Motocross Autobiography?

Rotaholic
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 9:30am
Been off the bike for a bit, gonna be a bit longer too it seems. Is there any good motocross books out there? There's only so much YouTube moto vids I can watch.
|
Hodge336
Fantasy
1753rd
6/13/2022 5:13am
Rotaholic wrote:
Been off the bike for a bit, gonna be a bit longer too it seems. Is there any good motocross books out there? There's only so...
Been off the bike for a bit, gonna be a bit longer too it seems. Is there any good motocross books out there? There's only so much YouTube moto vids I can watch.
I recently picked up Jeremy McGrath’s biography, “Wide Open”. I haven’t read it yet but will be soon.
6/13/2022 5:17am
Jamie dobb did one about his 2002 World championship season.

There's also a really good book called living the dream which follows Hitachi KTM for a season in mxgp In 2018 I think. Well worth a read.
6/13/2022 5:28am
Stefan Everts' is pretty good. I didnt really like Dobb's- I was reading it wondering if it was written by the same rider who I had watched. He 'bigs' himself up pretty good..
Robgvx
6/13/2022 7:37am
‘The Inside Line: Racing the 500cc World Motocross Championship’

Described by Racer X magazine‘s Davey Coombs as, “The best book ever written about the sport”.

theinsidelinebook.com

The Shop

shuggs
6/13/2022 10:21am
Marc Dereuver has one out but so far don’t know where to get
TDeath21
6/13/2022 10:34am
Do you guys remember when Chad Reed was gonna release his book “My Way” back in 2012? Idk what ended up happening with that.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
6/13/2022 10:36am
Rotaholic wrote:
Been off the bike for a bit, gonna be a bit longer too it seems. Is there any good motocross books out there? There's only so...
Josh Coppins had a book written by Andy Mcgechan which was pretty good. I have a copy somewhere

McGrath book was good and I have just ordered dereuvers book online
JK714
6/15/2022 2:05pm
The McGrath book is very good, covers his whole life into retirement. The blurbs on the cover are corny crap that the publisher must have come up with, but the book itself is very insightful.
tobz
6/15/2022 10:21pm
I liked McGraths.

I think Reed has one done but I thought he was waiting until deep retirement I guess to finish it off.
6/16/2022 1:51am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 1:52am
Pastrana has one too, but he could probably write a part 2 from everything he's accomplished since. McGrath's was ok but he seemed to be sucking himself off a little too much in it imo.

tobz
6/16/2022 3:38am
Pastrana has one too, but he could probably write a part 2 from everything he's accomplished since. McGrath's was ok but he seemed to be sucking...
Pastrana has one too, but he could probably write a part 2 from everything he's accomplished since. McGrath's was ok but he seemed to be sucking himself off a little too much in it imo.

Oh yes I forgot about that one, it’s brilliant!
Bearuno
6/16/2022 5:46am
I received my English copy of Open about a week ago - I stumped up for it in September last year, and, with how things are at the moment, I wasn't surprised that it was a month or two late.

https://youtu.be/0hbuY_iTQd4

So far, it's quite the read. Very much a 'warts and all' biography. I doubt many riders would be as remotely honest about their mistakes, nor as (justifiably) confident in their abilities, whilst falling short of their ultimate goal.

Right at the start, you find out that his biographers first encounter with Marc, was he, the biographer, getting a bollocking from Marc for something he'd written about Marc on the Web. A rocky, but I think, a good start to a collaboration, that would be anything but the hagiography so many biographies can tend to be .

De Reuver is one of The Great Talents of Motocross, that people should know more about. I'm sure far too many on this site, would come out with something like "Marc De Who(ver)?"

The only complaint I have is that it's a paperback - I much prefer Hardbacks.

It's great to see him still involved in the sport, helping others to, as he often says, "Not Make The Mistakes I Made".

To repeat what mpy put up : https://marcdereuver.nl/en/
6/16/2022 6:12am
Bearuno wrote:
I received my English copy of Open about a week ago - I stumped up for it in September last year, and, with how things are...
I received my English copy of Open about a week ago - I stumped up for it in September last year, and, with how things are at the moment, I wasn't surprised that it was a month or two late.

https://youtu.be/0hbuY_iTQd4

So far, it's quite the read. Very much a 'warts and all' biography. I doubt many riders would be as remotely honest about their mistakes, nor as (justifiably) confident in their abilities, whilst falling short of their ultimate goal.

Right at the start, you find out that his biographers first encounter with Marc, was he, the biographer, getting a bollocking from Marc for something he'd written about Marc on the Web. A rocky, but I think, a good start to a collaboration, that would be anything but the hagiography so many biographies can tend to be .

De Reuver is one of The Great Talents of Motocross, that people should know more about. I'm sure far too many on this site, would come out with something like "Marc De Who(ver)?"

The only complaint I have is that it's a paperback - I much prefer Hardbacks.

It's great to see him still involved in the sport, helping others to, as he often says, "Not Make The Mistakes I Made".

To repeat what mpy put up : https://marcdereuver.nl/en/
Just ordered a copy. He always came across as one of the sports' more interesting characters
Brett Smith
Fantasy
4015th
6/16/2022 7:14am
Rotaholic wrote:
I sell a neat book at wewentfast.com/shop that's about the 1972 World Motocross Season.

I see you're in New Zealand so it would cost a lot to send down there but I've definitely sent quite a few copies to Australia. If anything, you'd probably enjoy the story behind the man who wrote the book (also available as a podcast, search "We Went Fast" in your podcast player).

Robgvx
6/16/2022 9:30am
Rotaholic wrote:
I sell a neat book at [url=https://www.wewentfast.com/product/grand-prix-motocross-book-the-1972-season/]wewentfast.com/shop[/url] that's about the 1972 World Motocross Season. I see you're in New Zealand so it would cost a lot...
I sell a neat book at wewentfast.com/shop that's about the 1972 World Motocross Season.

I see you're in New Zealand so it would cost a lot to send down there but I've definitely sent quite a few copies to Australia. If anything, you'd probably enjoy the story behind the man who wrote the book (also available as a podcast, search "We Went Fast" in your podcast player).

DC told me it’s a superb book, but international shipping is a killer I’m afraid.

Post a reply to: Motocross Autobiography?

The Latest