Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

Mr. Afterbar
8/20/2020 6:01am
I have almost 5 hours on my ‘21 now and finally got to a track worthy of shaking it down. I’m coming off a ‘16 KX 450. The suspension is way under sprung for me front and rear as expected. Currently 210 lbs 35 year old expert. The bike is more hesitant to lean over in corners than my ‘16. All I’ve done so far is raise the forks to the first mark and set the sag. The rear brake is too touchy for my liking. Tapping it going into tight corners lets out a nice squeal and is too grabby. The engine feels great and the clutch is amazing. One spot in particular at the track I most recently rode, I could feel the clutch slipping on my ‘16 every time. No issue on the ‘21. I had my reservations about the hydraulic clutch as I’ve always preferred the feel of a cable, but it works good out on the track. Looking forward to getting some stiffer springs on this thing and getting it fine tuned to my liking. Not sure what I’m going to do with the rear brake yet if anything at all. I may just try adjusting the pedal down a bit.

Cashmoney24
8/20/2020 6:17am
Thanks for the review... a lot of people have gone with the rear caliper hanger and rotor off of the 2018. I did that myself and it worked pretty well. Can probably score the new parts off eBay at a good discount.
mxb2
8/20/2020 6:30am
I have almost 5 hours on my ‘21 now and finally got to a track worthy of shaking it down. I’m coming off a ‘16 KX...
I have almost 5 hours on my ‘21 now and finally got to a track worthy of shaking it down. I’m coming off a ‘16 KX 450. The suspension is way under sprung for me front and rear as expected. Currently 210 lbs 35 year old expert. The bike is more hesitant to lean over in corners than my ‘16. All I’ve done so far is raise the forks to the first mark and set the sag. The rear brake is too touchy for my liking. Tapping it going into tight corners lets out a nice squeal and is too grabby. The engine feels great and the clutch is amazing. One spot in particular at the track I most recently rode, I could feel the clutch slipping on my ‘16 every time. No issue on the ‘21. I had my reservations about the hydraulic clutch as I’ve always preferred the feel of a cable, but it works good out on the track. Looking forward to getting some stiffer springs on this thing and getting it fine tuned to my liking. Not sure what I’m going to do with the rear brake yet if anything at all. I may just try adjusting the pedal down a bit.

Compared to the 2016? Pros ,cons. Motor, ergos, package. Better, way better. Or. Just different. Thanks.
8/20/2020 6:36am
I have almost 5 hours on my ‘21 now and finally got to a track worthy of shaking it down. I’m coming off a ‘16 KX...

For the rear brake I had the same issue. I moved the pedal down as well as ground the brake pad edges down to a 45. Created less pad contact area and feels great now. Also makes installing the rear wheel easier.

The Shop

stax199
8/20/2020 6:44am

I came off a 17 kx450 to the 2020 kx450.. i weigh 233 lbs with ALL gear. Bike suspension is great ,went with the FC front springs .53 and FC rear spring .59 also I swapped out my bars to the new fatbar that is on your 21 kx450 and its perrrfect.
bh
8/20/2020 8:54am

For the rear brake I had the same issue. I moved the pedal down as well as ground the brake pad edges down to a 45...
For the rear brake I had the same issue. I moved the pedal down as well as ground the brake pad edges down to a 45. Created less pad contact area and feels great now. Also makes installing the rear wheel easier.
I just ground the pad down to the metal and took about 1/4 inch off each side or maybe a little more. Really like it. It would be ideal though to get a smaller rear rotor.
Mr. Afterbar
8/20/2020 9:40am
mxb2 wrote:
Compared to the 2016? Pros ,cons. Motor, ergos, package. Better, way better. Or. Just different. Thanks.
Improvements over the '16 so far I would say are the engine and the clutch. The engine pulls at least as hard as my '16 with 13:1 piston and FMF 4.1 mapped by tokyo mods for 50/50 race fuel. The clutch grabs very well. Ergos are very good. No issues with snagging boots or anything. I'm 6'1" with pegs in lower mount and bar mounts in foward hole facing backwards. I like the stock bar bend as well. I don't like the levers at all. ARC brake lever currently backordered. Currently I would say it's a minor improvement over the '16 for me. I was on that bike for 4 years and very comfortable. I'll know more once I get the suspension set for me. Contrary to many, I liked the SFF TAC fork. My initial post outlined the things I don't care for. Everything else is excellent.

Thanks for the brake suggestions guys. I might try messing with the pads then possibly go with a smaller rotor this winter.
coastie44
8/20/2020 9:52am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 9:53am
mxb2 wrote:
Improvements over the '16 so far I would say are the engine and the clutch. The engine pulls at least as hard as my '16 with...
Improvements over the '16 so far I would say are the engine and the clutch. The engine pulls at least as hard as my '16 with 13:1 piston and FMF 4.1 mapped by tokyo mods for 50/50 race fuel. The clutch grabs very well. Ergos are very good. No issues with snagging boots or anything. I'm 6'1" with pegs in lower mount and bar mounts in foward hole facing backwards. I like the stock bar bend as well. I don't like the levers at all. ARC brake lever currently backordered. Currently I would say it's a minor improvement over the '16 for me. I was on that bike for 4 years and very comfortable. I'll know more once I get the suspension set for me. Contrary to many, I liked the SFF TAC fork. My initial post outlined the things I don't care for. Everything else is excellent.

Thanks for the brake suggestions guys. I might try messing with the pads then possibly go with a smaller rotor this winter.
Just to clarify, the caliper bracket / hanger is identical for all years from 2018 and older. I put one off a 2006 KX450 on mine!
mxb2
8/20/2020 10:12am
mxb2 wrote:
Improvements over the '16 so far I would say are the engine and the clutch. The engine pulls at least as hard as my '16 with...

Thanks. Good info.
coastie44
8/20/2020 10:56am
mxb2 wrote:
Thanks. Good info.
I have a '17 also but not as big and fast as Mr. afterbar but I like the stocker levers lol. I put the ARC levers on both after I bent the stock clutch lever. I won't go back to the stocker but I did like it. :-)
seven10
Fantasy
1256th
8/20/2020 11:16am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2020 11:19am
seven10
Fantasy
1256th
8/20/2020 11:16am
Has anyone powder coated or cerakoted the frame/swingarm black? Which is better or more durable. I’m thinking about framing my bike and doing this but I’m not sure which way I wanna go yet
crc245
8/20/2020 11:28am
seven10 wrote:
Ano it: Bower's and TwoTwo Kawasaki had a few blacked out over the years. Powercoat is cumbersome and I'm not sure if Cerakote would hold up on the high-wear spots...

kkawboy14
8/20/2020 8:07pm

I adjusted my break pedal as far down as I could, now it’s no problem.

With the pegs at the lowest setting shifting was easier also.
Mr. Afterbar
8/21/2020 5:00am

kkawboy14 wrote:

I’ve adjusted my brake pedal 5 times already and nothing seems to feel good. It’s just too grabby in stock form.
Zeke27G
8/21/2020 6:08am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2020 6:11am
I’ve adjusted my brake pedal 5 times already and nothing seems to feel good. It’s just too grabby in stock form.
Take the stock 250mm rotor off and buy a 240mm rotor. I'm using one from Braking and it's been great improvement. You'll also need the caliper hanger bracket from a 2018.

A further mod, would be to take a cutting wheel and take about 1/4" or so off of the threaded stud from the master cylinder that the brake clevis thread onto. That will allow you to adjust the brake pedal lower.

Welcome to the '19-21 KX450 Club!
MX683
8/21/2020 9:15am

kkawboy14 wrote:

for me....I feel that I had more of a traction issue with the rear than a brake issue....not enough low speed compression to keep tire to ground pressure
bh
8/23/2020 5:48am
What are you guys with high hours having go wrong or replacing? I’m at 87 hours and planning on doing a top end, and new Main bearings and a new rod. Also probably gonna retire the stock battery for good measure. Is replacing the valves something I need to look into?
8/23/2020 5:55am
bh wrote:
What are you guys with high hours having go wrong or replacing? I’m at 87 hours and planning on doing a top end, and new Main...
What are you guys with high hours having go wrong or replacing? I’m at 87 hours and planning on doing a top end, and new Main bearings and a new rod. Also probably gonna retire the stock battery for good measure. Is replacing the valves something I need to look into?
I’ll wait until someone who might have experienced issues chimes in, but unless you’re a pro level rider, that sounds like a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule to me. Have you even needed to adjust the valves yet?
bh
8/23/2020 6:15am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 6:18am
bh wrote:
What are you guys with high hours having go wrong or replacing? I’m at 87 hours and planning on doing a top end, and new Main...
I’ll wait until someone who might have experienced issues chimes in, but unless you’re a pro level rider, that sounds like a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule...
I’ll wait until someone who might have experienced issues chimes in, but unless you’re a pro level rider, that sounds like a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule to me. Have you even needed to adjust the valves yet?
I’ve adjusted them 3 times.
Edit: make that 2 I went to adjust them the third time and they 3 of them where .01mm out of spec and I was worried adjusting them might throw them out of spec on the high end since the shins go up in .05mm increments.
MX683
8/23/2020 7:01am
bh wrote:
At 140 hours the right side main bearing went out and engine was using some oil. I replace main bearings, top end and timing chain. Rod was tight yet and a way better design than previous years, so I am still running it. Also I had the countershaft seal start leaking twice.
the kid 857
8/23/2020 5:01pm
Just a heads up for all you PC TI header pipe fans. Mine and a Buddys head pipe cracked just below the metal flange that goes into the head. HIs was very obvious from the outside and mine was cracking from the inside. Both bikes had around 60 Hrs on them and Both had the proper torque on the nuts. just give it a once over.
Greenguy
8/23/2020 7:48pm
bh wrote:
MX683 wrote:
At 140 hours the right side main bearing went out and engine was using some oil. I replace main bearings, top end and timing chain. Rod...
At 140 hours the right side main bearing went out and engine was using some oil. I replace main bearings, top end and timing chain. Rod was tight yet and a way better design than previous years, so I am still running it. Also I had the countershaft seal start leaking twice.
I would replace the crank. Mine con rod broke in half at 125hrs.
Greenguy
8/23/2020 7:51pm
Just a heads up for all you PC TI header pipe fans. Mine and a Buddys head pipe cracked just below the metal flange that goes...
Just a heads up for all you PC TI header pipe fans. Mine and a Buddys head pipe cracked just below the metal flange that goes into the head. HIs was very obvious from the outside and mine was cracking from the inside. Both bikes had around 60 Hrs on them and Both had the proper torque on the nuts. just give it a once over.
Mine had about the same hrs. In side crack and blew completely off the bike. PC sent me a new one.
Greenguy
8/23/2020 7:56pm
bh wrote:
I’ll wait until someone who might have experienced issues chimes in, but unless you’re a pro level rider, that sounds like a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule...
bh wrote:
I’ve adjusted them 3 times. Edit: make that 2 I went to adjust them the third time and they 3 of them where .01mm out of...
I’ve adjusted them 3 times.
Edit: make that 2 I went to adjust them the third time and they 3 of them where .01mm out of spec and I was worried adjusting them might throw them out of spec on the high end since the shins go up in .05mm increments.
With 145 hrs I’ve replaced one exhaust shim with a half a thousandth thinner one.
Rickyisms
8/26/2020 12:29pm
What's everyone's opinion on an aftermarket muffler that will still make the bike smooth? Want maybe a little better pull without a harsh hit.
NeedMoto
8/26/2020 12:52pm
Rickyisms wrote:
What's everyone's opinion on an aftermarket muffler that will still make the bike smooth? Want maybe a little better pull without a harsh hit.
Pretty sure within this 146 page thread and over 4300 replies that exhaust were discussed, although I could be wrongWhistling

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest