Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

OLDMOTO
7/20/2020 1:12pm
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't...
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't break the subframe?
My PC is rubber mounted, but I’ve heard of some still having the breakage problem. Not sure how this wasn’t addressed on the 2021 by Kaw
I've got 60 hours on my 19 with a PC stainless system. I have had no problems at all other than the chain guide and rollers.
Nystrom7
7/20/2020 1:22pm
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't...
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't break the subframe?
My PC is rubber mounted, but I’ve heard of some still having the breakage problem. Not sure how this wasn’t addressed on the 2021 by Kaw
But it dont seem to be an issue with the stock muffler, thats probably why they dont do anything. Still boring if it breaks. Does it break even with the fmf bracket?
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2821st
7/20/2020 1:43pm
Nystrom7 wrote:
But it dont seem to be an issue with the stock muffler, thats probably why they dont do anything. Still boring if it breaks. Does it...
But it dont seem to be an issue with the stock muffler, thats probably why they dont do anything. Still boring if it breaks. Does it break even with the fmf bracket?
yup. both my breaks have been with the bracket on. works out well since i can at least finish my day at the races with a bouncy can
Zeke27G
7/20/2020 2:05pm
Nystrom7 wrote:
But it dont seem to be an issue with the stock muffler, thats probably why they dont do anything. Still boring if it breaks. Does it...
yup. both my breaks have been with the bracket on. works out well since i can at least finish my day at the races with a...
yup. both my breaks have been with the bracket on. works out well since i can at least finish my day at the races with a bouncy can

Was at Cahuilla a few months back following a guy on a newer KX450 with a muffler that was bouncing around badly. After I passed him, I waved him off to warn him about it, but he didn't seem to care. Was that you?!Grinning

The Shop

Greenguy
7/20/2020 2:12pm
140 hrs on my rubber mounted PC. No problems.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2821st
7/20/2020 2:15pm
Nystrom7 wrote:
yup. both my breaks have been with the bracket on. works out well since i can at least finish my day at the races with a...
Zeke27G wrote:
Was at Cahuilla a few months back following a guy on a newer KX450 with a muffler that was bouncing around badly. After I passed him...

Was at Cahuilla a few months back following a guy on a newer KX450 with a muffler that was bouncing around badly. After I passed him, I waved him off to warn him about it, but he didn't seem to care. Was that you?!Grinning
haha that wasn't me, but i had people do that at millville this weekend
davidgrip
7/20/2020 3:12pm
WOW! Subframe is still an issue. Kawasaki's issue, not the aftermarket companies. The stock muffler is not an issue. The 19 subframe is narrower than the previous models, which means the mounting bracket needs to be moved to give the rear wheel clearance. If the subframe had a weld issue it would break with the weight of the heavier stock muffler. If the issue is because of rear wheel impact, it is the fault of the aftermarket companies. A hundred and some pages ago I posted this same post with a members picture, with rear wheel impact. Sorry for your issue.

MX558
7/20/2020 6:30pm
I made my FMF rubber mounted and have about 20 hrs on it , so far so good .
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/20/2020 6:44pm
davidgrip wrote:
WOW! Subframe is still an issue. Kawasaki's issue, not the aftermarket companies. The stock muffler is not an issue. The 19 subframe is narrower than the...
WOW! Subframe is still an issue. Kawasaki's issue, not the aftermarket companies. The stock muffler is not an issue. The 19 subframe is narrower than the previous models, which means the mounting bracket needs to be moved to give the rear wheel clearance. If the subframe had a weld issue it would break with the weight of the heavier stock muffler. If the issue is because of rear wheel impact, it is the fault of the aftermarket companies. A hundred and some pages ago I posted this same post with a members picture, with rear wheel impact. Sorry for your issue.

No, you're flat out wrong on that theory. The subframe is flexing under your ass while you're riding. That compliance is tuned into the bike for comfort. The stock muffler is rubber mounted so that the muffler mount isn't yanked around every time the subframe deflects.

When you ridged mount the muffler, the subframe flexes and the tab is being deflected back and forth cyclically. Eventually the tab fatigues and breaks. I've seen welds break, but mine personally broke in the middle of the tab.
I caught it before it totally failed (twice) and there are no tire marks and there is no dent from the caliper contact.

It's not a weld strength issue, and it's not a tab strength issue, it's that the exhaust becomes part of the "suspension" when you don't isolate it. Hence why some pipes are breaking at the header - the pipe is acting like a big lever.

MX683
7/20/2020 7:02pm
davidgrip wrote:
WOW! Subframe is still an issue. Kawasaki's issue, not the aftermarket companies. The stock muffler is not an issue. The 19 subframe is narrower than the...

Jbulz wrote:
No, you're flat out wrong on that theory. The subframe is flexing under your ass while you're riding. That compliance is tuned into the bike for...
No, you're flat out wrong on that theory. The subframe is flexing under your ass while you're riding. That compliance is tuned into the bike for comfort. The stock muffler is rubber mounted so that the muffler mount isn't yanked around every time the subframe deflects.

When you ridged mount the muffler, the subframe flexes and the tab is being deflected back and forth cyclically. Eventually the tab fatigues and breaks. I've seen welds break, but mine personally broke in the middle of the tab.
I caught it before it totally failed (twice) and there are no tire marks and there is no dent from the caliper contact.

It's not a weld strength issue, and it's not a tab strength issue, it's that the exhaust becomes part of the "suspension" when you don't isolate it. Hence why some pipes are breaking at the header - the pipe is acting like a big lever.

There are 3 things going on. The subframe flexxing while seated, the weight of the muffler being supported on hits and the vibration from the engine travelling through the exhaust. I can see where the flexxing from sitting would be very severe...good point.
7/21/2020 5:22am
I’m no engineer, but it sure looks to me like rubber mounted muffler=no problem. Solid mounted muffler=broken subframe. Seems like it would be wise to purchase an aftermarket muffler that is rubber mounted, if an aftermarket muffler is the direction you want to go.
ElliotB16
7/21/2020 5:39am
No problems out of my PC system. My friends FMF system was nothing but problems with breaking. Hopefully they figured it out
7/21/2020 5:44am
ElliotB16 wrote:
No problems out of my PC system. My friends FMF system was nothing but problems with breaking. Hopefully they figured it out
Is your PC muffler rubber or solid mounted?
Cashmoney24
7/21/2020 6:35am
ElliotB16 wrote:
Is your PC muffler rubber or solid mounted?
Mine is rubber mounted. From what I understand, when they first came out, they were solid mounts, and due to breakage, they switched over to rubber. Again, that is just my understanding.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2821st
7/21/2020 6:38am
MX558 wrote:
I made my FMF rubber mounted and have about 20 hrs on it , so far so good .
have any pictures and a list of what i need to make it happen on mine?
davidgrip
7/21/2020 6:47am
davidgrip wrote:

Jbulz wrote:
No, you're flat out wrong on that theory. The subframe is flexing under your ass while you're riding. That compliance is tuned into the bike for...

MX683 wrote:
There are 3 things going on. The subframe flexxing while seated, the weight of the muffler being supported on hits and the vibration from the engine...

There are 3 things going on. The subframe flexxing while seated, the weight of the muffler being supported on hits and the vibration from the engine travelling through the exhaust. I can see where the flexxing from sitting would be very severe...good point.
From post on page 6. Rubber mounted will help with flex, but impact was an issue.

Moto520
7/21/2020 6:50am
I believe the issue is exasperated by the fact that the stock muffler is two piece vs a 3 piece system for the aftermarket. On the stock system some of the pressure is taken off of the muffler mounting tab with the mounting of the one piece header and mid-pipe.

Mine broke with the FMF system before i beefed up the tab. I had the extra bracket that FMF gives when mine broke. The bracket kept the muffler from falling off completely and ruining it.
7/21/2020 9:42am
Getting ready to check valves for the first time tonight at 20 hours. Bike is ridden fairly hard . Decent b level rider. Any tips or tricks? First kawi have always ridden yamahas.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/21/2020 10:21am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2020 10:21am
Getting ready to check valves for the first time tonight at 20 hours. Bike is ridden fairly hard . Decent b level rider. Any tips or...
Getting ready to check valves for the first time tonight at 20 hours. Bike is ridden fairly hard . Decent b level rider. Any tips or tricks? First kawi have always ridden yamahas.
Mine didn't move until 120 hrs. One exh valve was 0.02 out of spec.

You can adjust them without pulling the cams which is sweet, just pull the finger pivot rod out of the head, grab the finger with a telescoping magnet and swap out the shim.

Also the new valve cover is pretty bulky, so I recommend pulling the plastic harness holders out of the frame and getting as much of the harness loose as you can and fold it up out of the frame. It makes the job much easier.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/21/2020 10:26am
Jbulz wrote:

MX683 wrote:
There are 3 things going on. The subframe flexxing while seated, the weight of the muffler being supported on hits and the vibration from the engine...

davidgrip wrote:
From post on page 6. Rubber mounted will help with flex, but impact was an issue. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/21/439520/s1200_s1600_WP_20180905_19_18_15_Pro.jpg[/img]
From post on page 6. Rubber mounted will help with flex, but impact was an issue.

You can cherry pick a photo of any exhaust with some tire rub, but I don't see any evidence that it is causing failures. I don't have any experience with the Yoshi pipes, but I'd guess that pipe got pushed in and the tab bent in a crash. My FMF and my stock do not touch the tire or caliper, and most of the other pics I've seen on here don't show evidence of that either unless they came completely detached and damaged.
bh
7/21/2020 11:57am
Getting ready to check valves for the first time tonight at 20 hours. Bike is ridden fairly hard . Decent b level rider. Any tips or...
Be prepared the valve cover is pretty hard to get off.
7/21/2020 3:03pm
Jbulz wrote:
Mine didn't move until 120 hrs. One exh valve was 0.02 out of spec. You can adjust them without pulling the cams which is sweet, just...

You can adjust them without pulling the cams which is sweet, just pull the finger pivot rod out of the head, grab the finger with a telescoping magnet and swap out the shim.

Also the new valve cover is pretty bulky, so I recommend pulling the plastic harness holders out of the frame and getting as much of the harness loose as you can and fold it up out of the frame. It makes the job much easier.
Well one of my intake valves is out of spec.

Exhaust was right in the middle at .16 & .17.
Intake was .14 and .11. Max is .12mm

Guess I will be shimming it. Is there a kit sold?
Safe to run as is for a few more hours?
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/22/2020 4:48am
Jbulz wrote:
Mine didn't move until 120 hrs. One exh valve was 0.02 out of spec. You can adjust them without pulling the cams which is sweet, just...

Well one of my intake valves is out of spec. Exhaust was right in the middle at .16 & .17. Intake was .14 and .11. Max...

Hot cams sells a kit, or you can calculate what size shim you need and swap your shim for the correct one at the dealer.

Eh I wouldn't push it too far. As lash increases the forces on the valve increase drastically.
7/22/2020 5:19am
Jbulz wrote:

Well one of my intake valves is out of spec. Exhaust was right in the middle at .16 & .17. Intake was .14 and .11. Max...

Jbulz wrote:
Hot cams sells a kit, or you can calculate what size shim you need and swap your shim for the correct one at the dealer. Eh...
Hot cams sells a kit, or you can calculate what size shim you need and swap your shim for the correct one at the dealer.

Eh I wouldn't push it too far. As lash increases the forces on the valve increase drastically.
I bought one of the Hot Cams kits close to a decade ago. It has been a welcomed addition to my garage.
OLDMOTO
7/22/2020 9:14pm
I just got the new LUXON one piece bar mounts today. Twisted bars is a real problem with the stock mounts. The new mount is super strong and light weight. It also comes with titanium fasteners. Very cool.

Nystrom7
7/23/2020 12:00am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I just got the new LUXON one piece bar mounts today. Twisted bars is a real problem with the stock mounts. The new mount is super...
I just got the new LUXON one piece bar mounts today. Twisted bars is a real problem with the stock mounts. The new mount is super strong and light weight. It also comes with titanium fasteners. Very cool.

How do you like those Zeta fork caps?

I personally dont have any issues with twisting bars.
jg622
7/23/2020 6:56am

My 2020 I picked up a couple weeks ago.
Nystrom7
7/23/2020 7:38am
jg622 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/23/439810/s1200_20_Kaw.jpg[/img] My 2020 I picked up a couple weeks ago.

My 2020 I picked up a couple weeks ago.
So nice 👍 mine came with black plastic but i probably go all green i think it looks better.

Did My first ride on the 20 yesterday and the forks did not feel as soft as i remember my 19 did. 2 clicks in on compression and i was very happy with it.
Markopolo400
7/23/2020 8:01am
Maybe they actually put oil in the 2020 forks from the factory Sideways
OLDMOTO
7/23/2020 8:35am
OLDMOTO wrote:
I just got the new LUXON one piece bar mounts today. Twisted bars is a real problem with the stock mounts. The new mount is super...

Nystrom7 wrote:
How do you like those Zeta fork caps?

I personally dont have any issues with twisting bars.
I have the bars mounted in the forward position. It's nearly impossible to access the compression adjusters as the bars are right on top of them. The Zeta have adjuster knobs that you can reach with the tip of your finger. Its not perfect but at least you can adjust your suspension.

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest