Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

Nystrom7
7/10/2020 1:40pm

Got myself a 2020. Bike had run 1 kilometer in the street when the buyer changed his mind. So i gave a very low offer they accepted after a few days.
Dont know if i like all the black but the green oem plastic is in s box.
JohnnyD13
7/10/2020 1:55pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
Hey guys. I want to make my kx450 faster. It seems to lack a little on the bottom end. I wanted to get the best engine...
Hey guys. I want to make my kx450 faster. It seems to lack a little on the bottom end. I wanted to get the best engine mods available if anyone has suggestions. I want to do head work, teflon cylinder, 14 1CP piston and polish the transmission. I want to tune it after as well. Is there anything else I can do? I did this to my 12 Honda and it was an amazing bike. I want that feeling again
moto314 wrote:
What's a teflon cylinder?
Wondering the same thing...the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the gaskets? I’m interested in hearing the answer...
Wondering the same thing...the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the gaskets? I’m interested in hearing the answer.

That polished transmission would be awesome to have. I’m too dumb and slow to need any real engine mods. Pipe, Hinson clutch, and T4 are way more than enough for me in the engine department.
I sent the cylinder out with the CP piston and the Teflon coat the cylinder walls. Kind how they do it on some pistons. When I did all that on my older Honda it hit the rev limiter so fast. It was an awesome motor.
datkin128
7/11/2020 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2020 1:13pm
RF219 wrote:
Datkin128 did you ever get to ride your PC suspension set up?
datkin128 wrote:
I haven’t unfortunately. Been busy with a lot of things lately. Want to get out soon. Was going to ride tomorrow, but weather might not be...
I haven’t unfortunately. Been busy with a lot of things lately. Want to get out soon. Was going to ride tomorrow, but weather might not be good. I at least plan to install in the bike this weekend lol.
RF219 wrote:
gotcha, I would like to hear what you think about it. I am debating who I wanna send mine to.
Just installed it. Now I need to ride it! I will say this, Pro Circuit seems to be more reasonable on pricing than Factory Connection.
RF219
7/11/2020 3:36pm
nice, what kind of setup did they recommend for? fork height and sag?

The Shop

datkin128
7/11/2020 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2020 5:17pm
RF219 wrote:
I’m planning on riding it tomorrow. Fork set 5mm up and sag 103-105 I think it was. They went to .53 on my fork springs and I was running .51. They also went to a 5.7 on the shock spring. I asked them to set up to take big hits better if I OJ or mistime a jump, but wanted comfort as I’m 42 and not riding as much as I used to. Excited to try it! They also went to 350 oil height I believe.
mb60
7/11/2020 5:24pm
Anybody know if I can take my wheels off my 2017 and change them over to a 2019 ? I have the spacers and axles as well off the 2017.
MX683
7/11/2020 5:55pm
mb60 wrote:
Anybody know if I can take my wheels off my 2017 and change them over to a 2019 ? I have the spacers and axles as...
Anybody know if I can take my wheels off my 2017 and change them over to a 2019 ? I have the spacers and axles as well off the 2017.
rear wheel will fit fine....front wheel will work if you get the right size bushings to adapt old axle to new bike...other way would be to get different bearings...I couldn't find what I wanted
Nystrom7
7/11/2020 10:16pm
mb60 wrote:
Anybody know if I can take my wheels off my 2017 and change them over to a 2019 ? I have the spacers and axles as...
Dubya had a set for this. I remember it was pretty expensive but i also got a older kite/a60 wheel that i would like to use.
davidgrip
7/12/2020 6:28am
RF219 wrote:
datkin128 wrote:
I’m planning on riding it tomorrow. Fork set 5mm up and sag 103-105 I think it was. They went to .53 on my fork springs and...
I’m planning on riding it tomorrow. Fork set 5mm up and sag 103-105 I think it was. They went to .53 on my fork springs and I was running .51. They also went to a 5.7 on the shock spring. I asked them to set up to take big hits better if I OJ or mistime a jump, but wanted comfort as I’m 42 and not riding as much as I used to. Excited to try it! They also went to 350 oil height I believe.
5mm up is the perfect balance point, front/back. 1st adjustment. Some of the smallest/easiest changes make the biggest difference.

datkin128
7/12/2020 6:17pm
RF219 wrote:
Datkin128 did you ever get to ride your PC suspension set up?
datkin128 wrote:
I haven’t unfortunately. Been busy with a lot of things lately. Want to get out soon. Was going to ride tomorrow, but weather might not be...
I haven’t unfortunately. Been busy with a lot of things lately. Want to get out soon. Was going to ride tomorrow, but weather might not be good. I at least plan to install in the bike this weekend lol.
RF219 wrote:
gotcha, I would like to hear what you think about it. I am debating who I wanna send mine to.
So I rode mine today for the first time with the PC suspension. It feels quite a bit different, but in a good way. I asked them to make it handle big hits and miscalculations better as my stock suspension didn’t give me a lot of cushion on bigger hits. It’s much stiffer now. There is a lot less pitching too. It still seems to handle the small chop quite well (which I also asked for). Now I’m able to hit bigger jumps without worrying so much if I don’t time it perfectly. I can definitely ride into stuff harder and don’t have to worry about it blowing through travel. Stiffer feeling for sure, but overall better I’d say.
RF219
7/12/2020 6:48pm
sounds like they did a good job
7/12/2020 7:16pm
datkin128 wrote:
RF219 wrote:
datkin128 wrote:
So I rode mine today for the first time with the PC suspension. It feels quite a bit different, but in a good way. I asked...
So I rode mine today for the first time with the PC suspension. It feels quite a bit different, but in a good way. I asked them to make it handle big hits and miscalculations better as my stock suspension didn’t give me a lot of cushion on bigger hits. It’s much stiffer now. There is a lot less pitching too. It still seems to handle the small chop quite well (which I also asked for). Now I’m able to hit bigger jumps without worrying so much if I don’t time it perfectly. I can definitely ride into stuff harder and don’t have to worry about it blowing through travel. Stiffer feeling for sure, but overall better I’d say.
Pretty much the same with me. PC knocked it out of the park. Definitely a tad bit stiffer but the hold up and the predictability is incredible. If I go long or short a jump it’s still like landing on a cloud and doesn’t disrupt the bike.
Cashmoney24
7/14/2020 5:26am
Actually just got to ride with my FC revalved suspension. I’m 185, Vet C/B rider with very little talent and must say that I really felt a difference in the ride of the bike. It was a bit stiffer overall, but just felt smoother everywhere. They actually kept the standard springs but stiffened up the valving. Definitely seemed like it ate up the bigger hits. I may mess with the clickers in the front a bit, but so far I’m very happy. I’ve always been a big fan of their work and have sent the majority of my bikes to them.
Cashmoney24
7/14/2020 5:40am
Just curious, for you guys running the 51 rear, are you heavier than the target audience weights? Was thinking about getting the 51 to be able to pull 3rd out of turns better, but don’t want it to be too jarring or ruin that smooth power characteristic.

stax199
7/14/2020 11:49am
I installed factory connection front springs .53 and rear shock spring .59.. using std oil level, raised forks in clamps a bit.... wow this bike is great.. only have 3 motos in with that set up. I will get some more time in next 2 weeks to ride it. Great bottoming resistance, stable and smooth in tough stuff and turned great
MX558
7/14/2020 6:02pm
Just curious, for you guys running the 51 rear, are you heavier than the target audience weights? Was thinking about getting the 51 to be able...
Just curious, for you guys running the 51 rear, are you heavier than the target audience weights? Was thinking about getting the 51 to be able to pull 3rd out of turns better, but don’t want it to be too jarring or ruin that smooth power characteristic.

I'm just a tad under 200 and run the 51 and can pull 3rd almost everywhere but a sx track
OLDMOTO
7/14/2020 8:24pm
Just curious, for you guys running the 51 rear, are you heavier than the target audience weights? Was thinking about getting the 51 to be able...

I run the 51t. Im old and 180#. I also have a Procircuit full system, No Toil fast flow filter kit and Tokyo Mods re-map. Lots more power, it starts pulling sooner and revs farther. 3rd gear is more useful. I'm a torquer not a rever.
7/15/2020 3:34am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2020 3:39am
stax199 wrote:
I installed factory connection front springs .53 and rear shock spring .59.. using std oil level, raised forks in clamps a bit.... wow this bike is...
I installed factory connection front springs .53 and rear shock spring .59.. using std oil level, raised forks in clamps a bit.... wow this bike is great.. only have 3 motos in with that set up. I will get some more time in next 2 weeks to ride it. Great bottoming resistance, stable and smooth in tough stuff and turned great
I’m a bigger guy (6’3” 210lbs w/o gear) and race +40 B. I put in .53 fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring on the advice of FC. It was a super comfy ride, but I was still getting some bottoming on big hits, so I added 5ccs of oil to each fork with a syringe through the bleed hole on the forks. Problem solved. Now this is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned.
I run the slower revving black coupler more often than not. Helps me reduce wheel spin for more consistent lap times with less fatigue.
stax199
7/15/2020 5:07am
stax199 wrote:
I installed factory connection front springs .53 and rear shock spring .59.. using std oil level, raised forks in clamps a bit.... wow this bike is...
I’m a bigger guy (6’3” 210lbs w/o gear) and race +40 B. I put in .53 fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring on the advice...
I’m a bigger guy (6’3” 210lbs w/o gear) and race +40 B. I put in .53 fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring on the advice of FC. It was a super comfy ride, but I was still getting some bottoming on big hits, so I added 5ccs of oil to each fork with a syringe through the bleed hole on the forks. Problem solved. Now this is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned.
I run the slower revving black coupler more often than not. Helps me reduce wheel spin for more consistent lap times with less fatigue.
Nice.. yea man im the same, only 6 feet but 210 lbs w/o gear and 41 yrs young B class. I owe it a few more rides to see if I need the extra oil. Do you know what your cIickers are set for the forks and shock with the FC springs??
I have always used the slower coupler in the past in my KX450s. Certainly helped me boss the bike around ..and less fatigue for sure.I have to give that black one a try.
Cashmoney24
7/15/2020 7:32am
Thanks for he input on the 51 rear... it’s Ordered and on its way 👍. I’m definitely not a revver on the 450 either.
MOTOXSTATION
Fantasy
468th
7/15/2020 9:35am

OLDMOTO wrote:
I run the 51t. Im old and 180#. I also have a Procircuit full system, No Toil fast flow filter kit and Tokyo Mods re-map. Lots...
I run the 51t. Im old and 180#. I also have a Procircuit full system, No Toil fast flow filter kit and Tokyo Mods re-map. Lots more power, it starts pulling sooner and revs farther. 3rd gear is more useful. I'm a torquer not a rever.
What fuel (octane) are you running? Your ECU was programmed for that? Thinking of sending out the ECU to program with my PC system.
OLDMOTO
7/15/2020 12:32pm

OLDMOTO wrote:
I run the 51t. Im old and 180#. I also have a Procircuit full system, No Toil fast flow filter kit and Tokyo Mods re-map. Lots...
What fuel (octane) are you running? Your ECU was programmed for that? Thinking of sending out the ECU to program with my PC system.
Premium pump gas with Maxima octane booster. Runs perfectly.
mb60
7/17/2020 10:05pm
Are the oil drain plugs the same as other years on the 450 ? Went to order a aftermarket one and most only went to 2018 on ebay.
Nystrom7
7/18/2020 4:48am
mb60 wrote:
Are the oil drain plugs the same as other years on the 450 ? Went to order a aftermarket one and most only went to 2018...
Are the oil drain plugs the same as other years on the 450 ? Went to order a aftermarket one and most only went to 2018 on ebay.
Not sure but its a standard M8. I took a bolt with 10mm head and drilled a 2 mm Hole in it so i can secure it with a wire.
7/18/2020 5:07am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2020 5:08am
stax199 wrote:
I’m a bigger guy (6’3” 210lbs w/o gear) and race +40 B. I put in .53 fork springs and a 6.0 shock spring on the advice...
stax199 wrote:
Nice.. yea man im the same, only 6 feet but 210 lbs w/o gear and 41 yrs young B class. I owe it a few more...
Nice.. yea man im the same, only 6 feet but 210 lbs w/o gear and 41 yrs young B class. I owe it a few more rides to see if I need the extra oil. Do you know what your cIickers are set for the forks and shock with the FC springs??
I have always used the slower coupler in the past in my KX450s. Certainly helped me boss the bike around ..and less fatigue for sure.I have to give that black one a try.
I only went two clicks in on the fork compression. That is why I raised the oil level. I wanted to increase bottoming resistance without giving up the plush feel on the little bumps. 5ccs of oil in each fork didn’t change the feel of the bike one bit, but solved my bottoming problem on big hits.
RF219
7/18/2020 1:48pm
mb60 wrote:
Are the oil drain plugs the same as other years on the 450 ? Went to order a aftermarket one and most only went to 2018...
they are not the same. 2019 is a smaller diameter bolt than previous years
Nystrom7
7/18/2020 2:04pm
mb60 wrote:
RF219 wrote:
they are not the same. 2019 is a smaller diameter bolt than previous years
Yeah when you mention it i think it was m10 before. But regular m8 fit👍
Nystrom7
7/20/2020 12:13pm
The 20 is all greased up and ready for its first ride.
I put a skda Seat cover on, 51 tooth rear sprocket, oring chain and frameguards on it.

fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2816th
7/20/2020 12:20pm
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't break the subframe?
Cashmoney24
7/20/2020 12:57pm
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't...
Well, it looks like my FMF broke my subframe again and I'm sick of getting it welded. Anyone know if PC is rubber mounted and won't break the subframe?
My PC is rubber mounted, but I’ve heard of some still having the breakage problem. Not sure how this wasn’t addressed on the 2021 by Kaw

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest