Ironman changes from a spectator perspective

shmacky78
Just curious what everyone, who attended the race thought about it ? the layout is cool from a racer standpoint. But as a spectator did anyone find it a little congested ? it seemed like only two or three main areas to view. anywhere else besides those places were nothing special and far away from the action. Just seemed a little harder to get close to the track in a lot of places. I watched/stood just past the covered bridge on the camp ground side, as to avoid the huge crowds in the two main areas. It’s also not really worth the hike up to the top area anymore. Not much to see up there and it had tons of wasted space with no people. I dunno it was OK and I’m not trying to whine TOO much. But maybe by next year they will have it dialed in a little better. Weather was awesome and the racing was awesome and the crowd seemed HUGE this year. Had a blast over all. Just curious what everyone else thought ?
|
DPR250R
8/25/2019 6:42am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2019 6:42am
I wasn’t there but glad to hear you say the crowd was good.

Curious what you thought of the overall infrastructure. They showed a some nice aerial shots of the entire facility and it just looked awesome to me. How was the parking? Getting in and out? Concessions?
shmacky78
8/25/2019 6:45am
DPR250R wrote:
I wasn’t there but glad to hear you say the crowd was good. Curious what you thought of the overall infrastructure. They showed a some nice...
I wasn’t there but glad to hear you say the crowd was good.

Curious what you thought of the overall infrastructure. They showed a some nice aerial shots of the entire facility and it just looked awesome to me. How was the parking? Getting in and out? Concessions?
All that was excellent !! get there early and you can park right at the entry point very close to the track. other than the cheese fry place running out of bacon 🥓 it was all good 😂 even the porta potty’s were nice. they have really made the facility SUPER nice over the last few years. For sure a good national to attend. I’ve only missed one year, due to my daughter being born.
Crossup
8/25/2019 11:18am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2019 11:19am
Yeah I've noticed that every year the viewing gets worse. Southwick was a good example this year. They charge more than ever to get tickets to go in, then you go to any of the good viewing spaces and they're blocked by VIP spectator paid viewing. Or vendor rigs with private parties under their tents right on the fence. This year Southwick even had a food vendor parked on the fence line going around towards the back. What are these guys thinking?
tk2stroke
8/25/2019 1:39pm
Crossup wrote:
Yeah I've noticed that every year the viewing gets worse. Southwick was a good example this year. They charge more than ever to get tickets to...
Yeah I've noticed that every year the viewing gets worse. Southwick was a good example this year. They charge more than ever to get tickets to go in, then you go to any of the good viewing spaces and they're blocked by VIP spectator paid viewing. Or vendor rigs with private parties under their tents right on the fence. This year Southwick even had a food vendor parked on the fence line going around towards the back. What are these guys thinking?
Yep, that's now the norm at most tracks. For these reasons I no longer go to any races

The Shop

Natester551v
8/25/2019 1:43pm
I found the Muddy Creek National to be really bad from a spectator standpoint. Glen Helen (when it was on the schedule) was great until they started allowing EZ-Ups along the track, then it sucked.

Washougal is without a doubt the best track on the circuit for viewing. You can sit for a while on the hillside, or wander and see these guys up close and personal. It's awesome...

I thought Ironman was decent, but could be better for spectators. Lots of areas that could/should be accessible for spectators that are pretty cordoned-off. Cool track though...
AngryBear
8/25/2019 7:33pm
5th year attendance in a row for us. track was a little harder to get around, the center section is more funneled off now unless you walk around the perimeter. there seem to be fewer spots you can view multiple segments as easily as you could 2-3yrs ago, but it is still a PRIME facility. i've been to 20+ nationals at 4 different tracks, this is by FAR my favorite facility. though the viewing was a little more congested, i much preferred to watch this years track. and it setup some great racing.

i hope they run the event for years to come. they seem to be putting in as much effort as anyone in improving the experience.
Crush
8/25/2019 8:01pm
Track seemed better for racing IMO. Lots of opposite turn combinations... bit slot-car like in some sections but racing was good in all four motos really and even the lappers seemed like they were in tight battles.
owndjoo852
8/25/2019 8:16pm
Best layout and attendance I’ve seen there. It was great to watch from the new skyscraper, new turn one area, and in the usual trees for the last quarter of the track.
sam hain
8/26/2019 6:05am
I thought the viewing was fine, I was in the holeshot club area so I could see all but after the skyscraper up until they crossed the finish line.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
8/26/2019 6:47am
me and my family had a great time. We don't sit in one place and watch the entire time though(2 and 4 yo). We walk around and view from a bunch of different locations. I thought the walking paths and tunnels they had built made it very convenient to do this. Plus by keeping walking you can somewhat avoid the crowds as they seem to move together.

But i will agree the godzilla jump wasn't anything great to view with where you can stand at. But just behind the viewing area, you could watch the opposite side of them coming over the skyscraper jump and go through the two corners and up the hill toward the covered bridge, with plenty of shade to stand in it was a nice area to be at.

All in all i thought they did a great job!
SWOHIO GUY
8/26/2019 7:51am
I was there. Loved the track and the facility. It was very congested in the middle but the was the best viewing spot even with the mass of humanity surrounding you. You could see 50%-60% of the track from there. Me and my dad spent most of our time between the finish and sand whoops, least congested area and it was a close walk to the start and pits. I went to three nationals this year: Thunder Valley, High Point, and Ironman. I would say Ironman had the worst viewing but it was probably the best facility of the three. Colorado is hard to beat viewing wise, you can see the entire track there from just about anywhere.
pilotdude
8/26/2019 8:04am
I found the Muddy Creek National to be really bad from a spectator standpoint. Glen Helen (when it was on the schedule) was great until they...
I found the Muddy Creek National to be really bad from a spectator standpoint. Glen Helen (when it was on the schedule) was great until they started allowing EZ-Ups along the track, then it sucked.

Washougal is without a doubt the best track on the circuit for viewing. You can sit for a while on the hillside, or wander and see these guys up close and personal. It's awesome...

I thought Ironman was decent, but could be better for spectators. Lots of areas that could/should be accessible for spectators that are pretty cordoned-off. Cool track though...
I agree about Washougal, but there also the VIP and vendor tents blocking the track in the prime infield have become ridiculous. Whether it’s politics, business, or motocross greed usually results in some pretty ugly stuff that is not for the benefit of the people.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/26/2019 8:23am
Crossup wrote:
Yeah I've noticed that every year the viewing gets worse. Southwick was a good example this year. They charge more than ever to get tickets to...
tk2stroke wrote:
Yep, that's now the norm at most tracks. For these reasons I no longer go to any races
Would like to hear DC's opinion on this. Is it the individual tracks choice for ticket prices, VIP areas, and how signage affects viewing? Does MX Sports get together with track owners and go over these issues to try to figure out ways to improve the "average" fans race day experience?
DC
8/26/2019 8:30am
Crossup wrote:
tk2stroke wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Would like to hear DC's opinion on this. Is it the individual tracks choice for ticket prices, VIP areas, and how signage affects viewing? Does MX...
Would like to hear DC's opinion on this. Is it the individual tracks choice for ticket prices, VIP areas, and how signage affects viewing? Does MX Sports get together with track owners and go over these issues to try to figure out ways to improve the "average" fans race day experience?
The VIP and reserved viewing areas are mostly up to the individual track; signage on the track is done by MX Sports, in coordination with NBC and the local promoters. We always think of the average fans, and we try to find the right balance in general access and premier spots. And all concession stands are up to the tracks.

I thought the new Ironman layout was very good, and certainly better for spectators, and a better and safer start. We had some really good racing (and thankfully, finally, good weather at the Ironman).

DC
Racer X
shmacky78
8/26/2019 8:51am
All was great, just would love to see a few more areas opened up, make that ski jump behind the podium a tunnel jump to get to the other side easier maybe ? just seemed harder to get close to the action. Layout was sweet though
t_baum88
8/26/2019 9:56am
DC wrote:
The VIP and reserved viewing areas are mostly up to the individual track; signage on the track is done by MX Sports, in coordination with NBC...
The VIP and reserved viewing areas are mostly up to the individual track; signage on the track is done by MX Sports, in coordination with NBC and the local promoters. We always think of the average fans, and we try to find the right balance in general access and premier spots. And all concession stands are up to the tracks.

I thought the new Ironman layout was very good, and certainly better for spectators, and a better and safer start. We had some really good racing (and thankfully, finally, good weather at the Ironman).

DC
Racer X
Those track changes for the racer looked awesome. Wasn’t a huge fan of old layout (still liked it) but the changes made me want to ride and produced great racing.

As a racer having at least 2-3 tracks a year make good solid changes like that is ideal. It’s obviously hard to replicate and nail each time without screwing up but was very cool to see and I’m sure the riders enjoyed it.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/26/2019 10:59am
tk2stroke wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Would like to hear DC's opinion on this. Is it the individual tracks choice for ticket prices, VIP areas, and how signage affects viewing? Does MX...
DC wrote:
The VIP and reserved viewing areas are mostly up to the individual track; signage on the track is done by MX Sports, in coordination with NBC...

DC
Racer X
Thanks for the background info.
msj2189
8/26/2019 11:11am
owndjoo852 wrote:
Best layout and attendance I’ve seen there. It was great to watch from the new skyscraper, new turn one area, and in the usual trees for...
Best layout and attendance I’ve seen there. It was great to watch from the new skyscraper, new turn one area, and in the usual trees for the last quarter of the track.
I agree, I thought the attendance was the higher than the last few years. The track changes were excellent. Viewing was also better this year in my opinion as well.

Also, this was was my first year at high point and that track's viewing is hard to beat.
deluxeman
8/26/2019 1:15pm
1st time there. I thought the viewing was OK. If they strategically removed a few trees here and there the sight lines could be improved. I thought it was pretty easy to move about and see different parts of the track. We sat near the finish line and could see quite a bit. We did walk around a spectate from other vantage points, very easy to get around inside the track.

One thing I will say is that the crowd, compared to Red Bud is very subdued. Ironman spectators are very quite and polite compared to the drunken party that is Red Bud. I appreciated the lack of drunken assholes screaming every 5 seconds. But I did miss the crowds screaming for the racers and the enthusiasm that Red Bud has that Ironman doesn't seem to have.

I will go again next year, it's a nice venue good food booths and easy access and the racing was epic.
kkawboy14
8/26/2019 3:18pm
Wait.....What? Did somebody say cheese fries and bacon?
DPR250R
8/26/2019 3:41pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Wait.....What? Did somebody say cheese fries and bacon?
Sold out... move it along.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
554th
8/26/2019 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2019 7:08pm
My thoughts and observations.:
1. Drove 7 hours from GA and parked in 3 minutes at 8:30 am. My third time here.

2. Walked in for wrist bands at $40 each in 2 minutes.

3. Walked to track area in 3 minutes.

4. Best viewing track in last 40 years.

5. Best 30 food vendors I have experienced.

6. Stayed through title ceremony and was out of facility in 10 minutes. Troopers had their shit together.

7. 12 of us attended from age 1 to 60.

Post a reply to: Ironman changes from a spectator perspective

The Latest