Help with goggle/breathing issue?

HusqFan3
I noticed i have a tendency to breathe through my mouth while riding which obviously isn't optimal and dries out my mouth making it even more difficult to breath/sustain energy.

I believe a major culprit for this is all my current goggles tend to pinch my nasal passages making it difficult to breath through my nose. I've tried breath-right strips to no avail since the adhesive is weak and falls off within a few mins.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this or similar issue and if so, if you've found a particular brand or model of goggles that don't adversely impact breathing?

Thanks in advance!
|
TeamGreen
5/27/2021 8:41pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
I noticed i have a tendency to breathe through my mouth while riding which obviously isn't optimal and dries out my mouth making it even more...
I noticed i have a tendency to breathe through my mouth while riding which obviously isn't optimal and dries out my mouth making it even more difficult to breath/sustain energy.

I believe a major culprit for this is all my current goggles tend to pinch my nasal passages making it difficult to breath through my nose. I've tried breath-right strips to no avail since the adhesive is weak and falls off within a few mins.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this or similar issue and if so, if you've found a particular brand or model of goggles that don't adversely impact breathing?

Thanks in advance!
Try different goggles & start with the more rigid frames that keep thier shape and DO NOT press on your nose too hard. ALL the good brands have a rigid lens/frame design and that's a good start.
Try playing with strap tension, too. You DON'T have too wear your goggle straps super tight.

Good luck!
ccstrebe
5/27/2021 8:44pm
You might try a different helmet with a larger google port. I had to try a lot of different helmets before I found one that didn't push the googles down on my nose.
RACERX69
5/27/2021 8:49pm
HusqFan3 wrote:
I noticed i have a tendency to breathe through my mouth while riding which obviously isn't optimal and dries out my mouth making it even more...

Thanks in advance!
What brand of helmet do you wear?

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/27/2021 9:01pm
ccstrebe wrote:
You might try a different helmet with a larger google port. I had to try a lot of different helmets before I found one that didn't...
You might try a different helmet with a larger google port. I had to try a lot of different helmets before I found one that didn't push the googles down on my nose.
What combo did you wind up with ? I raced with youth goggles for a long time Laughing Lost (a little) peripheral vision but I could breathe. Still searching for a good combination
HusqFan3
5/27/2021 9:04pm
HusqFan3 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
RACERX69 wrote:
What brand of helmet do you wear?
Appreciate the replies....

Previous Helmet = Fox V1

Current Helmet = TLD SE4 Composite

Current Goggles = 100% Strata, Speedlabs, and Oakley Crowbars
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
5/27/2021 10:03pm
Same prob here. Scott Fury is my current go to for minimum nose pinch/squish. Over the years, I have found that, in general, the top of the line goggles are worse. They tend to have these fancy schmancy quadruple-layer foams that are firmer/thicker and worsen the nose pinch issue.
HusqFan3
5/27/2021 10:19pm
FGR01 wrote:
Same prob here. Scott Fury is my current go to for minimum nose pinch/squish. Over the years, I have found that, in general, the top of...
Same prob here. Scott Fury is my current go to for minimum nose pinch/squish. Over the years, I have found that, in general, the top of the line goggles are worse. They tend to have these fancy schmancy quadruple-layer foams that are firmer/thicker and worsen the nose pinch issue.
Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed/experienced the issue...

It's crazy just how impactful it is(on vs off) and given MX is arguably the most cardiovascularly intense sport in the world making proper breathing paramount, you'd think it'd be a specific area of focus for goggle R&D depts.

Surely they have/can develop a pair of goggles that don't negatively impact your ability to breathe while riding?
Moto88
5/27/2021 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2021 10:29pm
I had same issue. What worked for me was EKS goggles and the cheap breath strips from CVS, just clean off your nose prior to use, good for 1-3 Moto’s. Never thought nose strips would do much until I tried them. They really do make a difference!
philG
5/28/2021 1:08am
I wear the nose plasters .. you think they do nothing until you forget to put them on.
luke11
Fantasy
2280th
5/28/2021 1:53am
philG wrote:
I wear the nose plasters .. you think they do nothing until you forget to put them on.
I can second this, those snoring strips you get for your nose definately help. Thanks for this I just remembered I need to grab some more!
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
5/28/2021 2:28am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2021 2:29am
Airbrakes
I had this problem big time with the 100% goggles but tried airbrakes and barely notice the pinching with those. Expensive but that's all I'm using now.
JBecker 72
5/28/2021 2:52am
Yup, Airbrakes are awesome. They are all I wear now. I just wish they weren’t made in China given the price point.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
5/28/2021 3:47am
HusqFan3 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
I have the EXACT same problem, and have tried dozens of different goggles, most of which end up in the kids' gearbags because I can't stand the nose pinch and obstructed breathing. The absolute best goggles i have ever used for this, and please don't laugh, were some low-end Fly goggles made by Scott (says SCOTT on the foam). Absolutely zero nose pinch and the most comfortable goggle I have ever worn. They were probably under $20 like 10 years ago. But the lens doesn't have tear-off posts, and I can't find the old Scott tear offs, so I can't use them for most races.

Hope that helps!
R66
5/28/2021 3:56am
EKS Brand goggles fixed that problem for me. The smaller frame fits in the helmet better and doesn’t push the goggles into my nose. I ware a Shoei VFX-W.
Spooner
5/28/2021 5:42am
Armega's are much better for breathing than the Strata. Also for everyone, you can trim the foam on any goggle if you need a little extra room.
MDana87
5/28/2021 5:46am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2021 5:47am
I've tried Breathe-Right strips, Intake Breathing bars & just this last weekend a Turbine nasal dilator. I've also tried, Scott, EKS & Viral goggles in TLD SE4 & Fly Formula helmets.

None of the nasal thingy's work more than two motos at a time for me. "For me" being key because I sweat a lot. Once your sweat de-lame's a sticky strip from your nose, good luck getting it clean enough at the track to attach a new one. I've never had luck with it. I had high hopes for the Turbine, as while weird feeling initially - opened up my passages more than anything else, but the proper fitting one got pushed out of my nose in its first 10min practice session. It was either the goggles or head jarring from the track, but it came out of one nostril.

The Viral goggles have slightly less pinch than EKS. The best, most reliable, thing I've done is trim the foam around the nose arch on goggles with scissors to fit you. You really don't need a huge contact surface to seal against your nose.

At the end of the day, I'm not convinced nasal breathing is all that anyway. I prefer a big bore "carb" (mouth) versus an rc airplane carb (nose) on my engine (lungs & heart).
c0ncEpT
5/28/2021 6:18am
You probably have a deviated septum. When you have an air way that's already half the size its suppose to be it can be very hard to breathe once anything is resting on it.
Preston412
5/28/2021 6:50am
Most goggles will pinch the nose to some degree and you can try and trim some foam out on the sides so that the goggle rest on the top of the nose instead of the sides.

As for nasal strips and the intake breathing nose piece. You have to prep your skin for the adhesive with alcohol wipe pads otherwise the oils on the skin will not allow for a good contact surface. Prep and apply strips or magnets about 5 minutes before riding and you should be able to get a few rides in. Be sure to clean the sweat off your nose when done riding a session, this will help as well.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/28/2021 8:54am
I have this exact same problem, plus I get runny noses when I exercise. If my nostrils are even the slightest bit closed, I get gunk in the back of my throat and it makes me want to puke!
For my particular face shape, I've found that smaller goggles with a more pronounced curve work better for me. I can run those more loosely on the helmet as others have said, and they do not separate from my temples like a flatter curved goggle would. Since the strap tension is lighter, the goggle doesn't close my nostrils as much.
I also always remove any kind of nose guard on the goggle; I need as much airflow over and around my nose as I can get. I'm running Spy Foundations right now with good luck, although I liked the old-school Alloy much better. Utopia Slayers are pretty good too, but I don't know if they are still out there.
GripNRip617
5/28/2021 9:39am
I have the same problem. Nasal strips work when they stay on. If the strip comes off it's then stuck inside your goggles, so I tend not to mess with them. I've found that the cheap walgreens allergy nasal spray works best.

On the walgreens website, "24 Hour Allergy Relief, Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray".
viking174
Fantasy
2183rd
5/28/2021 10:05am
Asterisk made a magnetic strip that connected to your goggles and I used them with the airbrake while also flushing my nose with a saline before motors and it worked great. I’ think you can still find them on e bay or related sites. Good luck , keep your nose clean. Could definitely be having inflammation from dust.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
5/28/2021 10:06am
Same problem here....big nose. I've tried about every goggle the 100% were probably the worst. I'm currently running EXS and cut some foam out around the bridge of the nose. This works OK but not great.

The only goggles that ever worked for me were Smith over the glasses model. They were awesome. Unfortunately, as you know they are no longer made and the foam gave out on my last pair Sad

Post a reply to: Help with goggle/breathing issue?

The Latest